Fat Employee In Brazil Sues McDonald's And Wins

Do they require them to eat their food, or just offer a free meal during their workday? If you work for them they do have lower calorie foods, like salads, chicken, etc. You don't have to have a burger and fries every day. I think when you're talking about adults, each person has to take responsibility for his own weight and health and not blame it on others. This would be a hazard in any food service job, but the weight doesn't just sneak up on a person--this guy should have known at 10 or 15 lbs over, that he had to take some action to get back in shape.

As far as marketing to children, I do think they could do better.

I guess it all depends on what end of the lense you have hold of, judyd. In 1960, I daresay childhood obesity was unheard-of and adult obesity was rare. In 2010, every third or even second person is obese -- children and adults.

U.S. obesity peak may be years away - UPI.com

I think Willow will agree...the major shift in US eating habits during this period has been fast food. When do we stop calling this "food" and start calling it "bad food" or even "poison"?

WE? You have a mouse in your pocket. I haven't eaten in a McDonald's in years and years and years. Again. I see fat people in the grocery store making poor choicess You gonna sue the grocery stores too?

I am not about to sue anyone, Willow. I am asking if these companies should be regarded as immune from suit, that's all. Seems to me if the environment is saturated with bad food -- high in sugar, fat, starch, low in nutrients, high in preservatives -- there might could be some collective guilt.

Do you recall kids ever drinking as much soda as most do now when we were kids? Or soda being served in 64 ounce containers? I sure don't.

I guess it all depends on what end of the lense you have hold of, judyd. In 1960, I daresay childhood obesity was unheard-of and adult obesity was rare. In 2010, every third or even second person is obese -- children and adults.

I think Willow will agree...the major shift in US eating habits during this period has been fast food. When do we stop calling this "food" and start calling it "bad food" or even "poison"?

WE? You have a mouse in your pocket. I haven't eaten in a McDonald's in years and years and years. Again. I see fat people in the grocery store making poor choicess You gonna sue the grocery stores too?

I am not about to sue anyone, Willow. I am asking if these companies should be regarded as immune from suit, that's all. Seems to me if the environment is saturated with bad food -- high in sugar, fat, starch, low in nutrients, high in preservatives -- there might could be some collective guilt.

Do you recall kids ever drinking as much soda as most do now when we were kids? Or soda being served in 64 ounce containers? I sure don't.

Answer the question madelying. It's a simple yes or no. Sue McDonald's? then you have to sue the grocery stores for selling soda and donuts and shit. Yes or NO?

Who plunks the money down for the soda? Sue the parents.

Do they require them to eat their food, or just offer a free meal during their workday? If you work for them they do have lower calorie foods, like salads, chicken, etc. You don't have to have a burger and fries every day. I think when you're talking about adults, each person has to take responsibility for his own weight and health and not blame it on others. This would be a hazard in any food service job, but the weight doesn't just sneak up on a person--this guy should have known at 10 or 15 lbs over, that he had to take some action to get back in shape.

As far as marketing to children, I do think they could do better.

We could always get hamburgers and fries at the soda fountains, even though McDonalds wasn't around until the mid-60's in the DC area. The reason there weren't so many fat children in those days was because we had about 4 or 5 tv stations, and the programs weren't that great, no computers or video games and we walked everywhere or rode our bikes. These days it isn't even safe to let your children out of your sight--even in the front yard--so they're not getting the exercise that we took for granted. We didn't have the gyms and exercise equipment--it was just normal living. Now, just for safety reasons, people have to enroll their child in a formal swimming, skating, hockey, or little league program, and arrange to get them there.

One reason that kids were not as fat was exercise, I agree...but that hardly explains why adults were usually not fat either. I can't remember any adult ever "going to the gym" and Jack Lalane was regarded as a bit of a freak. Besides, what you are saying, judyd, is more or less that it takes significant leisure time and money to keep an American child from obesity.

Should American kids have to live in such a hostile environment?

We could always get hamburgers and fries at the soda fountains, even though McDonalds wasn't around until the mid-60's in the DC area. The reason there weren't so many fat children in those days was because we had about 4 or 5 tv stations, and the programs weren't that great, no computers or video games and we walked everywhere or rode our bikes. These days it isn't even safe to let your children out of your sight--even in the front yard--so they're not getting the exercise that we took for granted. We didn't have the gyms and exercise equipment--it was just normal living. Now, just for safety reasons, people have to enroll their child in a formal swimming, skating, hockey, or little league program, and arrange to get them there.

One reason that kids were not as fat was exercise, I agree...but that hardly explains why adults were usually not fat either. I can't remember any adult ever "going to the gym" and Jack Lalane was regarded as a bit of a freak. Besides, what you are saying, judyd, is more or less that it takes significant leisure time and money to keep an American child from obesity.

Not if their parents cared.

Answer the question madelying. It's a simple yes or no. Sue McDonald's? then you have to sue the grocery stores for selling soda and donuts and shit. Yes or NO?

If you are discussing customers, yes. If it's only employees, no...but I can't see any logical reason to allow employees only to sue. So yes...if McDonald's is liable, so are almost all the processed food manufacturers and probably the grocery chains as well.

Was he threatened with loss of his job if he didn't eat their food? Did they hold a gun to his head and force him to consume mass quantities? The guy got fat cause he ate more and moved less and now he's looking for a scape goat. What a weiner.

As for kids eating crap and drinking so much soda? Who is buying it for them? Look higher up the food chain cause a 10 year old isn't buying it.

Was he threatened with loss of his job if he didn't eat their food? Did they hold a gun to his head and force him to consume mass quantities? The guy got fat cause he ate more and moved less and now he's looking for a scape goat. What a weiner.

As for kids eating crap and drinking so much soda? Who is buying it for them? Look higher up the food chain cause a 10 year old isn't buying it.

Madelying isn't about "personal responsibility" She's all about blaming someone else. Sounds just like a demonRat to me. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

It takes more money than buying them Xboxes and Wii's?
And a TV for their room?

Let's say I have three kids under 12 and work as a secretary and make $25,000. Barely getting by. If I have a husband, it's likely he works long hours or that we deliberately work different schedules to avoid day care. So by say, 6 pm, I am home. I need to feed the family, oversee the kids' homework, clean house, etc. I have a crappy car (if any) and no extra money for gas, nevermind a gym membership.

How, exactly, do I arrange for the hour a day of hard charging these kids will need just to stay fit on a healthy diet -- or the two hours they'll need to burn off a high-fat and sugar diet?

I ain't a magician, yanno.

There were overweight adults when I was young, but that was more or less considered a part of getting older. No big deal.

Yes, it does seem to take a lot of planning to make sure your child is safely getting exercise. I live in a small community at the beach, but even so, I don't feel comfortable letting my beautiful little granddaughters out of my sight to go up to the lake or ride their bikes through the neighborhood. There are just enough problems with "tourists" that you don't let the kids out of your sight. When I was a child we were left in the car while my mother or aunt went shopping. That is completely illegal today, even with the windows rolled down.

So yes, if the kids are going to get exercise, unless you live in a very safe place with a large fenced yard, you need to make the time to be with them. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but it seems for the size of the community we have more than our share of child molesters. I suppose they like to hang out at the shore?

And a TV for their room?

Let's say I have three kids under 12 and work as a secretary and make $25,000. Barely getting by. If I have a husband, it's likely he works long hours or that we deliberately work different schedules to avoid day care. So by say, 6 pm, I am home. I need to feed the family, oversee the kids' homework, clean house, etc. I have a crappy car (if any) and no money for gas, nevermind a gym membership.

How, exactly, do I arrange for the hour a day of hard charging these kids will need just to stay fit on a healthy diet -- or the two hours they'll need to burn off a high-fat and sugar diet?

crockpot.

Remember the howling the First Lady set off when she suggested we clean up school menus? One of her proposals was to remove soda vending machines from school property...and everyone from soda manufacturers to school principals cried fowl.

Whoever we elect to blame, it cannot be the ten year old.

There were overweight adults when I was young, but that was more or less considered a part of getting older. No big deal.

Yes, it does seem to take a lot of planning to make sure your child is safely getting exercise. I live in a small community at the beach, but even so, I don't feel comfortable letting my beautiful little granddaughters out of my sight to go up to the lake or ride their bikes through the neighborhood. There are just enough problems with "tourists" that you don't let the kids out of your sight. When I was a child we were left in the car while my mother or aunt went shopping. That is completely illegal today, even with the windows rolled down.

So yes, if the kids are going to get exercise, unless you live in a very safe place with a large fenced yard, you need to make the time to be with them. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but it seems for the size of the community we have more than our share of child molesters. I suppose they like to hang out at the shore?

I can remember my Mommy kicking us out at breakfast and telling us to be home by the time the street lights were on. I was like 4 or 5. I played with all the neighborhood kids and ate lunch at whatever house we were nearest at noon.

A world today's young Mommies will never know.

And a TV for their room?

Let's say I have three kids under 12 and work as a secretary and make $25,000. Barely getting by. If I have a husband, it's likely he works long hours or that we deliberately work different schedules to avoid day care. So by say, 6 pm, I am home. I need to feed the family, oversee the kids' homework, clean house, etc. I have a crappy car (if any) and no money for gas, nevermind a gym membership.

crockpot.

Okay then show me....how's it done?

crockpot.

How is what done?

crockpot.

She meant USE a CROCKPOT! Have dinner made when you get home!

And a TV for their room?

Let's say I have three kids under 12 and work as a secretary and make $25,000. Barely getting by. If I have a husband, it's likely he works long hours or that we deliberately work different schedules to avoid day care. So by say, 6 pm, I am home. I need to feed the family, oversee the kids' homework, clean house, etc. I have a crappy car (if any) and no extra money for gas, nevermind a gym membership.

Spend a few hours on the weekend preparing the weeks meals. Freeze them so when you come home you just need to thaw-reheat. Keep fresh veggies/fruits on hand and there you go. It takes some thought and preparation but . . . . that's a parent's job.

As for the exercise, limit electronics time, arrange for friends to come over, go to the park and play catch, blah, blah, blah. Cripes there's a million ways to get in exercise without breaking the bank time-wise. Little things add up and if they aren't eating a sugar-and-crap diet they'll be fine.

crockpot.

She meant USE a CROCKPOT! Have dinner made when you get home!

*DUH*!

Sorry, Willow! Yes, planning meals makes a HUGE difference.

I have to say, I think if I were this Mommy I'd be tempted to restrict the kids' diet to a vegan one....I'd serve fish and eggs, but not meat. If your food budget is very small, meat is no bargain.

Forum List

Back