Fat Employee In Brazil Sues McDonald's And Wins

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Talk about an occupational hazard. A former manager of a McDonald's franchise in Porto Allegre, Brazil, was awarded $17,500 as recompense for gaining 65 lbs. over 12 years on the job, the AP reports.

Judge Joao Filho ruled on the lawsuit brought against the company by the 32-year-old former employee on Oct. 26, declaring that McDonald's should pay $17,500 because the employee ballooned from about 155 lbs. to 231 lbs. while working at the restaurant in southern Brazil.

The plaintiff said that because McDonald's hired undercover customers to randomly visit restaurants and report back on quality, he felt forced to taste everything on the menu to ensure the food was up to par. He said he was also given free lunches of burgers, fries and ice cream, which contributed to his excessive weight gain during the course of employment.

The judge agreed, apparently, but said that McDonald's could appeal the ruling. The company said it's contemplating its options.

Judge to McDonald’s: Pay $17,500 For Making Your Employee Fat – TIME Healthland

Remember, this did not happen in the US. Even so, its a crack in the wall.

What do you think?

I think your OP here is going to open up a floodgate of unsympathetic, intolerant, rude, nasty comments from folks who never had a weight problem in their life, don't understand what a weight problem is and don't care in the least about those who have them.

That's what I think.

(Hi Madeline!)

I think your OP here is going to open up a floodgate of unsympathetic, intolerant, rude, nasty comments from folks who never had a weight problem in their life, don't understand what a weight problem is and don't care in the least about those who have them.

That's what I think.

(Hi Madeline!)

I think you have no clue when it comes to "personal responsibility" Now McDonald's will weigh each employee monthly and when they've gained 5 lbs. will have just cause to fire them.

• Banned

That's what I think.

(Hi Madeline!)

Hello, George!

I wondered, if an employee could sue McDonald's for their weight gain, why not a customer? And if weight gain, why not any other health issue associated with their products?

In my mind, this makes the California woman with burns from spilled coffee case look like peanuts....after all, McDonald's could still sell coffee that was cooler. But without the extreme fat, salt, sugar and preservatives content, how could they sell their food? That's their entire business model.

I dun give a fuck about rude comments on USMB, George. Yanno me better'n that...I like to throw the raw meat out in front of hungry dogs and see what happens (metaphorically speaking).

I'm of two minds....the fast food industry has damaged the business of agriculture, the land, the farming communities, the people in cities, etc. It has rendered the palate of the entire planet bland and soulless....in short, it would be no loss to anyone if it disappeared tomorrow.

But then, it is a legal business and this is hardly the time to be killing jobs. So I can go either way here....I am not sure if I welcome this development or not.

Last edited:
  • Banned

That's what I think.

(Hi Madeline!)

I think you have no clue when it comes to "personal responsibility" Now McDonald's will weigh each employee monthly and when they've gained 5 lbs. will have just cause to fire them.

McDonald's has no responsibility at all here, Willow?

Talk about an occupational hazard. A former manager of a McDonald's franchise in Porto Allegre, Brazil, was awarded $17,500 as recompense for gaining 65 lbs. over 12 years on the job, the AP reports.

Judge Joao Filho ruled on the lawsuit brought against the company by the 32-year-old former employee on Oct. 26, declaring that McDonald's should pay $17,500 because the employee ballooned from about 155 lbs. to 231 lbs. while working at the restaurant in southern Brazil.

The plaintiff said that because McDonald's hired undercover customers to randomly visit restaurants and report back on quality, he felt forced to taste everything on the menu to ensure the food was up to par. He said he was also given free lunches of burgers, fries and ice cream, which contributed to his excessive weight gain during the course of employment.

The judge agreed, apparently, but said that McDonald's could appeal the ruling. The company said it's contemplating its options.

What do you think?

He should be unable to sue.

That's what I think.

(Hi Madeline!)

Only if you agree with them firing each employee who gains 5 pounds. Do you?

What do you think?

He should be unable to sue.

Because......?

Only if you agree with them firing each employee who gains 5 pounds. Do you?

I dun know what I think, as yet. The man in the Op claimed that, as a manager, he felt compelled to taste the food to keep it satisfactory in quality. Assume that's true, and instead he was a chef on a cruise ship. Not as bad a diet, but almost. Is his employer responsible then? He has to eat to do his job....does that matter?

Forum List

Back