Family Ancestry

All 4 of my grandparents and their families left Poland between the wars. My mother's mother's family barely made it out in time.

My surname translates as "one from the swamps". That must be why I picked a rat for my persona.

Hi, Cuz!! :D

My family is also from German controlled Poland ... or Prussia ... or Russian controlled Poland. But since Polish was everybody's native tongue I'll just settle for Poland. They came over in 1886 and 1888. Depending on who's transcribing what either can or can't be read ... there have been some strange spellings of the surnames.

I was working on my ancestry yesterday and today. I got their home addresses off the various US Census images and then used Google maps to locate those addresses and print the pictures. Pretty interesting, really - some houses are gone and others are still standing. I also printed out the maps of where each family lived so I could see how they moved around from place to place and where the two families lived in proximity to each other.

Last edited:
All 4 of my grandparents and their families left Poland between the wars. My mother's mother's family barely made it out in time.

My surname translates as "one from the swamps". That must be why I picked a rat for my persona.

Hi, Cuz!! :D

My family is also from German controlled Poland ... or Prussia ... or Russian controlled Poland. But since Polish was everybody's native tongue I'll just settle for Poland. They came over in 1886 and 1888. Depending on who's transcribing what either can or can't be read ... there have been some strange spellings of the surnames.

I was working on my ancestry yesterday and today. I got their home addresses off the various US Census images and then used Google maps to locate those addresses and print the pictures. Pretty interesting, really - some houses are gone and others are still standing. I also printed out the maps of where each family lived so I could see how they moved around from place to place and where the two families lived in proximity to each other.

My sister did our geneology back when she was in high school. 3 of our grandparents and their ancestors were from the Krakow region, and the 4th family was from Lodz.

If what she found was true, both of my grandfathers were descendants of the same man, 4 generations previous.

I'm a complete mutt-I'm German, English, Irish, Italian and Czechslovakian. My English side has been in America since before the revolutionary war, and can be traced to a prince of the British family (who never became king) in the 1300's, but to one of his many illegitimate children LOL. So that a token will get me on a subway. :lol:

edit: everything else can't really be traced far at all.

Last edited:
Well.. geez.. this threads been interesting and educational... Thanks

Rep time for all or until I run out ...

My sister did our geneology back when she was in high school. 3 of our grandparents and their ancestors were from the Krakow region, and the 4th family was from Lodz.

If what she found was true, both of my grandfathers were descendants of the same man, 4 generations previous.

One of my great grandfathers was from Suwalken, Russland according to Hamburger Passenger list and the other was from Thorn, WesPrueben (sorry, I know I didn't spell that right - but west Prussia). I'd really like to get a couple old maps so I can see how Poland's boundaries kept changing over the years. I've got a couple books on my "wish list" that should be interesting. I also go on a Polish messageboard once in awhile to learn stuff - must have an auto-translator or those in Poland speak pretty good English.

Well one thing for sure...we are all at least distantly related to people who suvived their times long enough to spawn progeny.

Let's all give a big hand to those distantly related kin who, despite it all, made us possible shall we?

:clap2:

My family name traces back to Ireland.....Limerick/Tipperary.

Throw in some English, Belgian and Gypsy and you gotta Lumpy 1.
Mine goes back to the Scottish/English borderland when the new division lead to the clannish feuds of about 1296; people with my family name moved ever northward and southwards from that division arriving from London to America to Virginia in1655.

About a thousand familes were affected by the Scot/Eng. border division with families with my surname being the most common of the bunch.

Last edited:

I always had a strong notion that my ancesters came from a similar climate and location; here's the description from one text:

" The dark rolling moors of the Scottish/English border are home to the surname ... . Its ancient history is closely woven into the rich and beautiful tapestry of the border chronicles.

In-depth research into some of the most ancient manuscripts such as the Exchequer Rolls of Scotland, the Inquisitio, the Ragman Rolls, the Domesday Book, baptismals, parish records, tax records and cartularies, gave researchers the first record of the name ... in Berwickshire where they had been seated from ancient times. [Two ancestors of note] of Blakenhall in Lanarkshire rendered homage to King Edward I "Longshanks" of England in 1296, on his brief conquest of Scotland. "

My mother's side of the family has English roots but I'm not so much into that side of the family. There's more research out there than you can shake a stick at on that side of the family.

Israel Boone was my great grandfather going back to the early 1700s. He was Daniel Boones older brother. When Israel died at the age of 30 Daniel adopted his kids.

Daniel helped settle Kentucky. He was also one of the first to explore Florida. He fought in the revolutionary war and was captured by Indians who, after a while, adopted him into their tribe.

Daniel became a three term politician in the Virginia General Assembly.

I always had a strong notion that my ancesters came from a similar climate and location; here's the description from one text:

" The dark rolling moors of the Scottish/English border are home to the surname ... . Its ancient history is closely woven into the rich and beautiful tapestry of the border chronicles.

In-depth research into some of the most ancient manuscripts such as the Exchequer Rolls of Scotland, the Inquisitio, the Ragman Rolls, the Domesday Book, baptismals, parish records, tax records and cartularies, gave researchers the first record of the name ... in Berwickshire where they had been seated from ancient times. [Two ancestors of note] of Blakenhall in Lanarkshire rendered homage to King Edward I "Longshanks" of England in 1296, on his brief conquest of Scotland. "

A low lander family just like mine.

ROBOTS-FENDERS-PARENTS-340.jpg

Forum List

Back