Family Ancestry

Have you tried researching on GeneaNet? I have researched my French ancestry back to the late 16th Century on Ancestry.com; recently I signed into GeneaNet and found many many contacts with the same surname. If any are of direct lineage only time will tell. The site is not very user friendly and many contacts are in the French language.
Still, it offers many opportunites to expand ones tree and the potential to find living relatives also seeking an understanding of who, where, when, why and how of past generations.

Have you tried researching on GeneaNet? I have researched my French ancestry back to the late 16th Century on Ancestry.com; recently I signed into GeneaNet and found many many contacts with the same surname. If any are of direct lineage only time will tell. The site is not very user friendly and many contacts are in the French language.
Still, it offers many opportunites to expand ones tree and the potential to find living relatives also seeking an understanding of who, where, when, why and how of past generations.

We could be related. LOL

We could be related. LOL

Possibly, if your ancesters came from Dabo, Mosel, Lorraine, France. Village(?) west of Strasbourg.

Was told my peeps hailed from the ankle of Italy.

We were a prominent family there and when one of us passes they still chime the bell in he church.

I recently discovered that prior to our move south we were from Renaissance Florence.

Most curious one version of our family crest has a star and crescent moon of Islam, which I took to mean the Crusades, but I cannot confirm our participation.

My family name came from Ireland (Antrim) in 1842

Mix in German, Danish, Swedish, Finn to fill it out

I had one ancestor witness the Lincoln assasination and another was in Sing Sing

My family's surname first appeared on the assizes/tithes during the 11th century. They were land barons who fought in and contributed to several crusades into the Holy lands. The name then seems to disappear until the English Civil war, where they resurface, but there's very little information on their activites during that period. During the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, a lot of them emigrated to North and Central America. Two of the Swagger brothers were some of the first to start distilling Gin in Mexico, but the history books say that they took a shortcut and used nitroglycerin instead of alcohol, and as a result permanently blinded a lot of their customers. They were hanged in 1841.

My mothers family were originally from Germany where they owned what I'm told (I'm only going on hearsay) was a prosperous steel mill that supposedly perished in some kind of industrial accident. They left Cologne for London in the early eighteen hundreds.

Interesting side note:

A LOT of American ancestry is found in the handwritten notes inside family Bibles. I have seen many references to "sudden neck injury" as the cause of death while searching my, and others' ancestries.

That's PC of the time for "he was hung."

Most people didn't want to write that in the family Bible :)

Um, FYI, humans are hanged. If he was "hung" . . . well, let's just say that refers to something quite, quite different. :eusa_whistle: But they probably wouldn't have wanted to write THAT in the family Bible, either.

My father's side of the family is pretty easy to trace. They're rare, in that the family never changed its name, not even the spelling, no matter what country they moved to. Fortunately, it's not hard to pronounce. What this means, though, is that anyone in the world who bears that surname is a reasonably close, traceable relation of mine, and the family does happen to have kept the records.

My mother's side is a bit more difficult in some aspects, largely because so much of the family descended through females. It was not unusual for a family to produce five or six kids, and have only one daughter live long enough to have children. However, her side of the family produced a number of famous people, including Jefferson Davis - yes, THAT Jefferson Davis - so that makes it a bit easier to track. I have discovered that I am related by marriage to something like 13 US Presidents.

By ethnicity, my family is English and German, with a smattering of Irish, Dutch, and Cherokee thrown in. In the latter generations, we have added Koreans, Vietnamese, Chinese, black, and Mexican. Our family reunions look like a meeting of the UN.

All 4 of my grandparents and their families left Poland between the wars. My mother's mother's family barely made it out in time.

My surname translates as "one from the swamps". That must be why I picked a rat for my persona.

If you back far enough, we all came from the same tribe.

Interesting phenomenon I read about recently - Something that's always been there and I'd never really thought about it.

OK so you have 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great grandparents, and so on. Let's be conservative and say a generation is 30 years (though throughout history it's been much lower). You can use the following formula: X = 2^(Y/30) where X = Number of antecedents alive at the time and Y = Number of years into history you're wanting to look. (hope I did that right)

Therefore, 300 years ago you had 1024 ancestors walking the earth.
600 years ago, 1,048,576.
1200 years ago, 1,099,511,627,776.

Of course, 1.09 trillion is far more than the full population of earth NOW, let alone 1200 years ago; And if you use the formula to the beginning of mankind, the resulting number is in excess of a googol (A 1 followed by 100 zeros), which is far more than the number of elementary particles in the visible universe. How can that be?

The answer is that your lineage can be traced back to individuals living in biblical times through far more than one traceable conduit; Or, in short, we're all so inbred it's amazing we can stand, if you want to be a dick about it.

My family's surname first appeared on the assizes/tithes during the 11th century. They were land barons who fought in and contributed to several crusades into the Holy lands. The name then seems to disappear until the English Civil war, where they resurface, but there's very little information on their activites during that period. During the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, a lot of them emigrated to North and Central America. Two of the Swagger brothers were some of the first to start distilling Gin in Mexico, but the history books say that they took a shortcut and used nitroglycerin instead of alcohol, and as a result permanently blinded a lot of their customers. They were hanged in 1841.

My mothers family were originally from Germany where they owned what I'm told (I'm only going on hearsay) was a prosperous steel mill that supposedly perished in some kind of industrial accident. They left Cologne for London in the early eighteen hundreds.

Interesting side note:

A LOT of American ancestry is found in the handwritten notes inside family Bibles. I have seen many references to "sudden neck injury" as the cause of death while searching my, and others' ancestries.

That's PC of the time for "he was hung."

Most people didn't want to write that in the family Bible :)

Um, FYI, humans are hanged. If he was "hung" . . . well, let's just say that refers to something quite, quite different. :eusa_whistle: But they probably wouldn't have wanted to write THAT in the family Bible, either.

You are correct, and now realizing my mistake, I am LMAO!!!!!

Thanks for pointing it out, because I hadn't even noticed or thought about it, and it is a beauty of a faux pas :).

Too funny!

If you believe the bible we are all cousins.

Well except me since I am from offworld.

There is one line in my family that is traceable all the way back to Greece (apparently ACCURATELY to around 800 BC, then it gets cloudy). The line is very well documented because it produced several Kings of France, Germany, and the Merovingians. If you hit one of those, and make it back to Greece, the realization that we all HAVE to be related begins to be haunting and undeniable.

But at around 500 BC, it begins to get cloudy no matter what line you're on. This line of mine ends in 1100 BC, where the first born is recorded as the son of Athena, the Goddess of War :) (which generally meant that one, or both parents were High Priest/Priestess of the Temple of whatever God/Goddess is listed as the parent. They weren't allowed to have sex, so any birth was considered a gift of the God/Goddess of their Temple)

Contrast this to my father's paternal line, which is traceable only back to the early 1800s (1806, to be exact) when my Great Great Great Grandfather was born. He was 100% Cherokee (confirmed by DNA) and as he assumed the name to avoid the Trail of Tears, we do not know who his father was, because we do not know what his Indian name was, because he didn't want to walk to Oklahoma, and he didn't want to be killed for NOT walking to Oklahoma :)

Ancestry is a real crap-shoot. You may get 3000 years of info, or only 300 :(

my heritage on my mothers side is french my grandmothers family went to england during the french revolution when heads were being cut of
.the family name is carried in the first /second names of most of the male ancestors .

my grandfather on my mothers side was from a well known english family and he carried on the good old victorian habits of producing many off spring , drinking and smoking from a large bowled pipe.

on my fathers side not so deep it is a common english name with no traceable heritage cus he was bought up in a orphanage ,any searches were unsuccessfull in uncovering any authentic relatives

I am a transplant in the usa where i am now a citizenas and have not been back to england for 5 years .

Cork, Ireland. O'Bannions moved during American Revolution, fought the English in Ireland before that, nearly wiped out by the English and some became indentured servants in the US. Afterwards fought in every American war, and many foreign wars. Family nearly wiped out during World War 2, since then, has recharged to around 350+ members on 1 side. All the family either farms or serves in military, most serve 15+ then retire and farm. Nearly all live in 1 region now.

Forum List

Back