F35 - superfighter or lame duck?

More blather from someone who admits he doesnt know but steadfastly maintains others are wrong

I asked if you know what the IR signature of the F-35 is compared to other fighters either (since you are the one implying it is lacking) yet instead of taking this golden opportunity to support the argument you regurgitated you choose to basically admit you have no idea how it stacks up so were talking out of your ass, as usual.

I didn't say anyone was wrong about the F-35's IR signature, I just want proof not some retard saying it without knowing either.

F35 so stealthy that Defense Ministers watching demonstration flights see only blue sky and are scammed that it's not only "stealthy" it's invisible! Silent, too.

Sadly, none believe it.

Lack of faith?

Loved the European Debut at this summer's Farnborough Air Show where it was hoped at least 90 orders would be placed by NATO members.

Here's a photo:

View attachment 35557
Nope.

NOT that stealthy.

Just a no-show.

No orders, either.

Wrong, deliveries have been under way for a couple of years, the F-35 is operational.

United Kingdom F-35 F-35 Lightning II

Yup.

Operational when they're not grounded because of he discovery of yet another fatal flaw.

Your information is out of date.

This info is far more accurate and relevant.

F-35 News Multimedia Discussion thread 2015 )

Large enough to get it dead before them......engine not embedded in the plane, no ir reduction whatsover and you have the largest eng in the fleet.....Soviets love irst

Large enough to get it dead before them......engine not embedded in the plane, no ir reduction whatsover and you have the largest eng in the fleet.....Soviets love irst
Okay so for the third time I ask, what is the F-35s IR signature compared to other modern fighters?

Remember, you are the one who made the claim it was lacking. Surely you know, else just talking out of your ass eh?

PARIS --- Recent improvements in F-35 reliability figures are due to changes in the way failures are counted and processed, but do not reflect any actual improvement, according to the latest report by the Pentagon’s Director Operational Test & Evaluation. F-35 Program Massages Flight Test Results

Still waiting on your info on IR signature of F-35 versus other 5th gen fighters.

4th time asking.

F-35s aren't currently grounded, but thanks for yet another non-contribution to the thread and for continuing to prove my point about people who know nothing about the plane yet love to condemn it.

I believe they're waiting for the F35 grounding to be lifted.
It is amazing how this weird group of people obsessed with the F-35 are willing to make such easily refutable claims.

Does being a liar come that easy to you HenryBHough? Actually don't answer that, obviously it does.

Last week at Nellis, from The Aviationist Photos of F-35 F-16 A-10 F-15E jets launching from Nellis Air Force Base

F-35-turn-and-burn.jpg

Actually since you've proven that you aren't really interested in discussing the topic and are willing to tell flat out lies just to troll, welcome to my ignore list. Good riddance.

Update on the weapons certification: F-35 weapons certification on track for this year - IHS Jane s 360

It says the Marines believe they are still on track for IOC of July 2015, which really surprises me given all the recent talk about software defects and that they haven't qualified the gun pod the B model would use. From source:

"All weapons tests needed for Block 2B software, the software the US Marine Corps will use to declare IOC [initial operational capability], are complete and will be ready to go for combat capability," Lt Gen Bogdan said in a statement.

The corps will use the short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) B-model of the aircraft, as well as a smaller number of carrier-variant C-models being procured by the US Navy (USN). The US Air Force (USAF) and several international customers, meanwhile, will fly the conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) A-model.

Specific F-35 flight test milestones completed during the past four months include:

- The first live-fire testing on an F-35B ground test article were completed on 9 September.

- The first and night flights using the Generation III helmet-mounted display with 3iR4 software were completed on 9 September and 18 September, respectively.

- An AIM-120 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM) was launched from an F-35C on 30 September, marking the last weapon separation test needed for Block 2B software.

- The first F-35 day and night mission effectiveness close-air support (CAS) flights were conducted on 21 October and thus completed 2B software CAS testing.

- The first separation test of a GBU-39 Small Diameter Bomb was also conducted on 21 October.

- The first F-35 external flutter tests flown with the AIM-132 Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile (ASRAAM) and Paveway IV missiles were conducted on 29 October and 13 November, respectively.

- The final buffet, loads and high-angle-of-attack testing required for F-35A Block 2B software were completed on 18 November.

- An F-35C set a record for 17 sorties in a day for a single F-35 aircraft on 5 November and a record 22 sorties with two F-35C test articles aboard USS Nimitz for F-35C Sea Trials off the coast of San Diego from 3-14 November.

- Three Weapons Delivery Accuracy (WDA) live fire events were completed in single a week when the F-35 employed two AIM-120 AMRAAMs and one Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) from 18-25 November. These events included the first supersonic-guided missile launch and the first JDAM release on target coordinates generated from the Electro-Optical Targeting System (EOTS).

The F-35 also surpassed 25,000 combined flight hours in December, and fleet aircraft flew twice as many of those as test articles did, the programme office said.

I believe USMC is declaring it IOC with AMRAAM, ASRAAM, JDAM, and Paveway. The source mentions SDB but I've no idea when that is planned, although I did see something about low rate production of SDB II for F-15E and F-35. I think Navy gets their fighters last and I know they had already tested it can fit JSOW internally.

Last edited:
Update on the weapons certification: F-35 weapons certification on track for this year - IHS Jane s 360

It says the Marines believe they are still on track for IOC of July 2015, which really surprises me given all the recent talk about software defects. From source:

"All weapons tests needed for Block 2B software, the software the US Marine Corps will use to declare IOC [initial operational capability], are complete and will be ready to go for combat capability," Lt Gen Bogdan said in a statement.

The corps will use the short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) B-model of the aircraft, as well as a smaller number of carrier-variant C-models being procured by the US Navy (USN). The US Air Force (USAF) and several international customers, meanwhile, will fly the conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) A-model.

Specific F-35 flight test milestones completed during the past four months include:

- The first live-fire testing on an F-35B ground test article were completed on 9 September.

- The first and night flights using the Generation III helmet-mounted display with 3iR4 software were completed on 9 September and 18 September, respectively.

- An AIM-120 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM) was launched from an F-35C on 30 September, marking the last weapon separation test needed for Block 2B software.

- The first F-35 day and night mission effectiveness close-air support (CAS) flights were conducted on 21 October and thus completed 2B software CAS testing.

- The first separation test of a GBU-39 Small Diameter Bomb was also conducted on 21 October.

- The first F-35 external flutter tests flown with the AIM-132 Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile (ASRAAM) and Paveway IV missiles were conducted on 29 October and 13 November, respectively.

- The final buffet, loads and high-angle-of-attack testing required for F-35A Block 2B software were completed on 18 November.

- An F-35C set a record for 17 sorties in a day for a single F-35 aircraft on 5 November and a record 22 sorties with two F-35C test articles aboard USS Nimitz for F-35C Sea Trials off the coast of San Diego from 3-14 November.

- Three Weapons Delivery Accuracy (WDA) live fire events were completed in single a week when the F-35 employed two AIM-120 AMRAAMs and one Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) from 18-25 November. These events included the first supersonic-guided missile launch and the first JDAM release on target coordinates generated from the Electro-Optical Targeting System (EOTS).

The F-35 also surpassed 25,000 combined flight hours in December, and fleet aircraft flew twice as many of those as test articles did, the programme office said.

The last time I checked there were something like 100 P1 bugs that needed to be rectified. I think their goal is unrealistic but they should be able to get at least half of those fixed.

Yup I saw something similar. Looking over the list some didn't seem too critical for IOC (like the networking of sensors with others assets) but others like excessive false positives on DAS could really hamper effectiveness.

I'm a software developer so I know how lists of bugs can sounds a lot more daunting than they are, but for a fucking plane anything with the world "critical" is alarming despite the high number of hours they've flown the thing this year. USMC seems happy with the weapons testing though so who knows.

Yup I saw something similar. Looking over the list some didn't seem too critical for IOC (like the networking of sensors with others assets) but others like excessive false positives on DAS could really hamper effectiveness.

I'm a software developer so I know how lists of bugs can sounds a lot more daunting than they are, but for a fucking plane anything with the world "critical" is alarming despite the high number of hours they've flown the thing this year. USMC seems happy with the weapons testing though so who knows.

So far the weapons separation trials are going good. They have tested most of the ordnance suite so far. I believe they are still having issues with the gun ammunition though. Why I have no idea, if there is one aspect of the military world with loads of empirical data, it is the internal and external ballistics realm.

Was wondering same thing, it isn't like 25mm is a new gun caliber. Was thinking maybe gun also taking long time because they trying do something fancier with software for aiming it using tracking data from other areas of sensor suite, like target led for gun as moving off angle using DAS or something. No idea.

For at least 10 years, we heard the same kind of proclamations of doom about the V-22 Osprey. It was hopeless, it was a death trap, it was a payoff to corrupt contractors, and therefore we should go back to the old helicopters.

And now the V-22 Osprey is a solid performer in the field, with an 80+% readiness rate.

Forum List

Back