F35 - superfighter or lame duck?

I don't lie dummy.
Really? Like how you've only had to use a gun once?

I'm a little older than you and I've only ever needed a gun once, when I was attacked by bandits in Morocco.

That would be against bandits in Morocco in the 70s of course.
I was using an AK when we were attacked by bandits in Morocco back in the 1970's.

Oh no wait make that bandits in Morocco in the 80s of course.
Me? One time. I was in a shootout with Moroccan bandits back in the late 1980's.

As of this thread we've moved it forward yet another decade into the 90s.
more to the point they were the group who was shooting at us back in 1990-91.

And of course it is occasionally in moved to other continents
But I can say that having been shot at by real bandits in Pakistan

You know what above is? Someone who leans on a bullshit story to impress others but can't keep his own lies straight. I took screenshots of 'em too so you can go ahead and delete them if you want, but you're clearly a compulsive liar.

And I provided you the OFFICIAL announcement. How ignorant are you trying to be?
No you didn't. The link I gave has a direct quote from the RARA president saying there will be a static display of two F-35s. The President isn't official enough?

You gave a general description of the Heritage Program. You lied. Again.

Ah, remember the term "Lawn Dart". or how about "Fiscal Fiasco". Welcome to the humble beginnings of a new Weapons System.

Hell, why not mention the "Wobblin Gobblin" too......

Translation from Westwall: I have no idea so I will try and reflect my way out of yet another series of lies.

Poor daryl, no, I know them, just wanted to see if you were as "expert" as you claim and you failed yet again. The Lawn Dart sobriquet was given to two aircraft, the F-16 and the B1. The Fiscal Fiasco never made it into general enough usage to be known by more than a few people the more common form of it being FRED, Fantastic Ridiculous Economic Disaster which was applied to the C5 Galaxy.

You are 1/3rd right. It's the F-16 that is nicked the lawn dart, not the B-1. The B-1 is nicked The Bone. And the fiscal fiasco went to the F-15. So much for you displaying your huge brain. Instead you display your little itty bitty manhood for all to see.

Sure thing "dude" It seems that MIT disagree's with you....

Flying Gas Station Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker
Flying Prostitute Martin B-26 Marauder
Flying Potato Martin-Marietta X-24A
Flying Flatiron Martin-Marietta X-24B
Flying Shithouse Kaman HH-43 Huskie
Flying Suitcase Handley Page Hampden
Flying Speed Brake Lockheed Constellation
Flying Washboard Ford Trimotor
FOD Vacuum Northrop F-89 Scorpion
Ford Douglas F4D Skyray
Fork-tailed Devil Lockheed P-38 Lightning
FRED Lockheed C-5 Galaxy
(Fantastic Ridiculous Economic Disaster)
Fritz Messerschmitt Bf 109F
Frog Martin P5M Mariner

Kobry ("Cobra") Bell P-39 Airacobra
Kraft Ei (power egg) Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet
Kukuruznik Antonov An-2
Lanc Avro Lancaster
Lawn Dart General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon
Lawn Dart Rockwell B-1 Lancer
Lead Sled McDonnell F3H Demon
Lead Sled Republic F-84 Thunderjet
Lead Sled Republic F-105 Thunderchief

Aircraft Nicknames

Let's take a look.

F-100 was the lead sled
C-5 was Fat Arnold
F-105 was the Thud
P-38 was the Lightning (nicked by the British)
B-1 is the Bone

Your cite is false. I just happen to know first hand and don't have to rely on no "College Boy" to try and change history. Tell ANY Thud pilot his bird was nicked that and get a snootfull.

And I provided you the OFFICIAL announcement. How ignorant are you trying to be?
No you didn't. The link I gave has a direct quote from the RARA president saying there will be a static display of two F-35s. The President isn't official enough?

You gave a general description of the Heritage Program. You lied. Again.

I happen to know the CEO of RARA so no, I didn't lie, and the F-35 was slated for the Heritage Flight as it has done at other venues. You posted the report AFTER the F-35's broke. I'm not going to accuse you of lying because to do that requires intent. I just think you're a brainless 'tard.

Hell, why not mention the "Wobblin Gobblin" too......

Translation from Westwall: I have no idea so I will try and reflect my way out of yet another series of lies.

Poor daryl, no, I know them, just wanted to see if you were as "expert" as you claim and you failed yet again. The Lawn Dart sobriquet was given to two aircraft, the F-16 and the B1. The Fiscal Fiasco never made it into general enough usage to be known by more than a few people the more common form of it being FRED, Fantastic Ridiculous Economic Disaster which was applied to the C5 Galaxy.

You are 1/3rd right. It's the F-16 that is nicked the lawn dart, not the B-1. The B-1 is nicked The Bone. And the fiscal fiasco went to the F-15. So much for you displaying your huge brain. Instead you display your little itty bitty manhood for all to see.

Ford Douglas F4D Skyray
FRED Lockheed C-5 Galaxy
Frog Martin P5M Mariner

Kukuruznik Antonov An-2
Lanc Avro Lancaster

Aircraft Nicknames

Let's take a look.

F-100 was the lead sled
C-5 was Fat Arnold
F-105 was the Thud
B-1 is the Bone

Your cite is false. I just happen to know first hand and don't have to rely on no "College Boy" to try and change history. Tell ANY Thud pilot his bird was nicked that and get a snootfull.

Nope. The cite is accurate. You're just not as smart as you think you are. As an example other nicknames for the F-100 were The Hun, and the Slick Chick for the RF version. Other nicknames for the C-5 were Lockheed Hilton, and Linda Lovelace. The F-105 had a multitude of nicknames the most common being Thud, but almost as many referred to it as the Ultra Hog, Super Hog, and Lead Sled. Lightning was the OFFICIAL service name of the P-38. It's nicknames included Fork Tailed Devil (German) and Whistling Death (Japanese).

So, you see, aircraft rarely have but a single nickname. In fact most have three or more based on how many nations used and fought against them. A PILOT knows these sorts of things. A desk jockey, on the other hand, doesn't.

I don't lie dummy.
Really? Like how you've only had to use a gun once?

I'm a little older than you and I've only ever needed a gun once, when I was attacked by bandits in Morocco.

That would be against bandits in Morocco in the 70s of course.
I was using an AK when we were attacked by bandits in Morocco back in the 1970's.

Oh no wait make that bandits in Morocco in the 80s of course.
Me? One time. I was in a shootout with Moroccan bandits back in the late 1980's.

As of this thread we've moved it forward yet another decade into the 90s.
more to the point they were the group who was shooting at us back in 1990-91.

And of course it is occasionally in moved to other continents
But I can say that having been shot at by real bandits in Pakistan

You know what above is? Someone who leans on a bullshit story to impress others but can't keep his own lies straight. I took screenshots of 'em too so you can go ahead and delete them if you want, but you're clearly a compulsive liar.

I've only had to shoot back at bad guys one time, and that was the Moroccans. I'm old, forgive me if I forgot the exact time from 40-50 years ago. Let me know how good your memory is when you get to my age. The Pakis we didn't bother to shoot back as they were so far away, that was in the '90's and when we showed we had guns of our own they went away.

When one works in third world shitholes this sort of thing go's with the territory. Had you ever left your suffering mothers basement you would know this.

Now i must figure out which sock you are as you were able to dig up stuff I don't think I could find!

Last edited:

Ford Douglas F4D Skyray
FRED Lockheed C-5 Galaxy
Frog Martin P5M Mariner

Kukuruznik Antonov An-2
Lanc Avro Lancaster

Aircraft Nicknames

Let's take a look.

F-100 was the lead sled
C-5 was Fat Arnold
F-105 was the Thud
B-1 is the Bone

Nope. The cite is accurate. You're just not as smart as you think you are. As an example other nicknames for the F-100 were The Hun, and the Slick Chick for the RF version. Other nicknames for the C-5 were Lockheed Hilton, and Linda Lovelace. The F-105 had a multitude of nicknames the most common being Thud, but almost as many referred to it as the Ultra Hog, Super Hog, and Lead Sled. Lightning was the OFFICIAL service name of the P-38. It's nicknames included Fork Tailed Devil (German) and Whistling Death (Japanese).

So, you see, aircraft rarely have but a single nickname. In fact most have three or more based on how many nations used and fought against them. A PILOT knows these sorts of things. A desk jockey, on the other hand, doesn't.

newflash: You blew it again. Whistling Death was the F-4U. Here is an exert of why:

Whistling Death: How The Corsair Got Its Nickname | Fighter Sweep

In order to keep the Corsair as aerodynamically clean as possible, designers made sure there was nothing protruding into the surrounding air to produce additional drag. In addition to the innovative “bent-wing” design, the intake for the aircraft’s turbo-supercharger, intercooler and oil cooler were located in slots in the inboard leading edges of the wings. Air running through those slots at high speeds gave the aircraft a very distinctive sound, and the Japanese tagged the fighter with the moniker, “Whistling Death.”
The P-38 was nickname what you say it was by the PR guys. Not the people that fought with it. Supposedly, a German Pilot named it that. But the Ace of Aces said it burned real well when hit. It was NEVER called Whislin Death since it was so quiet that it was hard to hear. The F-4U made that peculiar whistle when it was at attack speed. Your information is just plain crap.

yes, the F-100 was also called the Hun at one time but the one that stuck was the Lead Sled.

It took an act of Congress to get rid of the name "Fat Albert" from the C-5A. That name fit it so well to those that saw it in the air operating from a short field. Something you have NEVER seen.

You are just making things up as you go to someone that knows.

Ford Douglas F4D Skyray
FRED Lockheed C-5 Galaxy
Frog Martin P5M Mariner

Kukuruznik Antonov An-2
Lanc Avro Lancaster

Aircraft Nicknames

Let's take a look.

F-100 was the lead sled
C-5 was Fat Arnold
F-105 was the Thud
B-1 is the Bone

newflash: You blew it again. Whistling Death was the F-4U. Here is an exert of why:

In order to keep the Corsair as aerodynamically clean as possible, designers made sure there was nothing protruding into the surrounding air to produce additional drag. In addition to the innovative “bent-wing” design, the intake for the aircraft’s turbo-supercharger, intercooler and oil cooler were located in slots in the inboard leading edges of the wings. Air running through those slots at high speeds gave the aircraft a very distinctive sound, and the Japanese tagged the fighter with the moniker, “Whistling Death.”
The P-38 was nickname what you say it was by the PR guys. Not the people that fought with it. Supposedly, a German Pilot named it that. But the Ace of Aces said it burned real well when hit. It was NEVER called Whislin Death since it was so quiet that it was hard to hear. The F-4U made that peculiar whistle when it was at attack speed. Your information is just plain crap.

yes, the F-100 was also called the Hun at one time but the one that stuck was the Lead Sled.

It took an act of Congress to get rid of the name "Fat Albert" from the C-5A. That name fit it so well to those that saw it in the air operating from a short field. Something you have NEVER seen.

Sure thing junior. Like I said before, many aircraft share nicknames, The F4-U and the P-38 being one of them. You're a desk jockey and nothing more.

Ford Douglas F4D Skyray
FRED Lockheed C-5 Galaxy
Frog Martin P5M Mariner

Kukuruznik Antonov An-2
Lanc Avro Lancaster

Aircraft Nicknames

Let's take a look.

F-100 was the lead sled
C-5 was Fat Arnold
F-105 was the Thud
B-1 is the Bone

Sure thing junior. Like I said before, many aircraft share nicknames, The F4-U and the P-38 being one of them. You're a desk jockey and nothing more.

After I show you what I already knew in the form of Cites, you just keep making it up as you go.

I'm through with your lying ass.

Ford Douglas F4D Skyray
FRED Lockheed C-5 Galaxy
Frog Martin P5M Mariner

Kukuruznik Antonov An-2
Lanc Avro Lancaster

Aircraft Nicknames

Let's take a look.

F-100 was the lead sled
C-5 was Fat Arnold
F-105 was the Thud
B-1 is the Bone

After I show you what I already knew in the form of Cites, you just keep making it up as you go.

I'm through with your lying ass.

Blah, blah, blah. Take your ball and go home junior. It is a well established FACT that many aircraft share nicknames. I just proved that and you ignore well known evidence so good bye and don't let the door hit you in the ass.

I'm old, forgive me if I forgot the exact time from 40-50 years ago.
My Dad is 79 and he can keep the decade of interesting life events straight, you might want to see a doctor.

The Pakis we didn't bother to shoot back as they were so far away, that was in the '90's and when we showed we had guns of our own they went away.
I'll help you keep your lies in order. .. you said the 90s one was an Islamic group in Africa, not Pakistan.

When one works in third world shitholes this sort of thing go's with the territory. Had you ever left your suffering mothers basement you would know this.
Fail. I spent most of my childhood in a 3rd world country, I've worked in 3rd world countries, and while we're US citizens my wife and I don't live in the United States

Now i must figure out which sock you are as you were able to dig up stuff I don't think I could find!
Go to search bar and find all posts by Westwall that include the word bandits. Fun times to see how many times your lies contradict themselves.

I'm old, forgive me if I forgot the exact time from 40-50 years ago.
My Dad is 79 and he can keep the decade of interesting life events straight, you might want to see a doctor.

The Pakis we didn't bother to shoot back as they were so far away, that was in the '90's and when we showed we had guns of our own they went away.
I'll help you keep your lies in order. .. you said the 90s one was an Islamic group in Africa, not Pakistan.

Fail. I spent most of my childhood in a 3rd world country, I've worked in 3rd world countries, and while we're US citizens my wife and I don't live in the United States

Go to search bar and find all posts by Westwall that include the word bandits. Fun times to see how many times your lies contradict themselves.

Good for him. He's a couple of years older than I so i hope he continues to do well. And no, the Pakis were in the 90's and the Tauregs were in the late 1970's, early 80's. I was there for quite a while so those years all blend together. I'm sorry that you have lived such an uneventful life, those of us who do live eventful lives frequently jumble things up after several decades. It's called normal. They even study memory and how it is affected by age. You will understand when you get older.

And no, the Pakis were in the 90's and the Tauregs were in the late 1970's, early 80's.
No, keep your lies straight. You just said the Tauregs were in the 90s. That is the problem with spinning so many fables, you can't keep them straight and get busted. Here for consistency this is what you said about the Tauregs:

but more to the point they were the group who was shooting at us back in 1990-91. Like I said, I'm not military but I have been shot at

I was there for quite a while so those years all blend together.
Yeah like anyone is buying this excuse, this big life event of "being shot at" that you've brought up dozens of times but just can't keep straight which decade it happened in. You're a liar, and anyone can see that.

I'm sorry that you have lived such an uneventful life
You know zero about my life, you're just frustrated because I exposed you as Walter Mitty. Sheesh I can't imagine the self-esteem issues you must have constantly trying to define yourself by bragging to people online with lies about the amazing eventful life you've had, sucks to be you.

Anyone who thinks boasting they've had to stay in Motel 6s and have lived/worked in 3rd world countries qualifies as an amazing feat worth constantly mentioning hasn't done shit.

And no, the Pakis were in the 90's and the Tauregs were in the late 1970's, early 80's.
No, keep your lies straight. You just said the Tauregs were in the 90s. That is the problem with spinning so many fables, you can't keep them straight and get busted. Here for consistency this is what you said about the Tauregs:

but more to the point they were the group who was shooting at us back in 1990-91. Like I said, I'm not military but I have been shot at

I was there for quite a while so those years all blend together.
Yeah like anyone is buying this excuse, this big life event of "being shot at" that you've brought up dozens of times but just can't keep straight which decade it happened in. You're a liar, and anyone can see that.

I'm sorry that you have lived such an uneventful life
You know zero about my life, you're just frustrated because I exposed you as Walter Mitty. Sheesh I can't imagine the self-esteem issues you must have constantly trying to define yourself by bragging to people online with lies about the amazing eventful life you've had, sucks to be you.

Anyone who thinks boasting they've had to stay in Motel 6s and have lived/worked in 3rd world countries qualifies as an amazing feat worth constantly mentioning hasn't done shit.

Nope. The tauregs were in Africa, not Pakistan dude. Learn your geography. All that being said, what exactly does this have to do with the OP? Nothing I see. So lets get back to that subject and feel free to start a thread attacking me in the FZ where they belong. i will happily engage you there.

Feel free to open a thread in the FZ attacking me, I look forward to it. This thread is about the F-35 boondoggle. Address that OP only.

f-35 getting fat and slow.......
If Trump Wants Lower F-35 Costs, He Should Compete F135 Engine
To date, the F-35’s added weight has caused the four services to lower expectations for critical performance metrics for sustained turning performance (sustained g) and acceleration. The sustained turning requirement was reduced from 5.3 g’s to 4.6 for the F-35A; from 5.0 g’s to 4.5 for the F-35B, and from 5.1g’s to 5.0 for the F-35C. Losing half a “g” will hinder a pilot’s ability to maneuver the jet, but the loss in acceleration is a bigger concern. Being able to gain or recover airspeed is critical to fighter pilot survival, and the time it now takes for each variant of the F-35 to accelerate from Mach 0.8 to Mach 1.2 is far longer than outlined in the original specs. Compared to the original requirements, it now takes an F-35A model 8 additional seconds to get there; the B model 16 seconds longer; the F-35C takes a worrying 43 seconds longer.

Lot of criticisms based on people trying to judge the plane by paper specs, yet why do these pilots keep saying how well it performs and how much it dominates adversaries in exercises?

From a former F-16 pilot: “Here’s what I’ve learned so far dogfighting in the F-35”: a JSF pilot’s first-hand account and this guy isn't just bobbing his head, he has criticisms of the plane as well, everything from vibration to the limitations of view compared to F-16:

So how does the F-35 behave in a dogfight? The offensive role feels somewhat different from what I am used to with the F-16. In the F-16, I had to be more patient than in the F-35, before pointing my nose at my opponent to employ weapons; pointing my nose and employing, before being safely established in the control position, would often lead to a role reversal, where the offensive became the defensive part.

The F-35 provides me as a pilot greater authority to point the nose of the airplane where I desire. (The F-35 is capable of significantly higher Angle of Attack (AOA) than the F-16. Angle of Attack describes the angle between the longitudinal axis of the plane – where nose is pointing – and where the aircraft is actually heading – the vector). This improved ability to point at my opponent enables me to deliver weapons earlier than I am used to with the F-16, it forces my opponent to react even more defensively, and it gives me the ability to reduce the airspeed quicker than in the F-16.

Update: Since I first wrote this post, I have flown additional sorties where I tried an even more aggressive approach to the control position – more aggressive than I thought possible. It worked just fine. The F-35 sticks on like glue, and it is very difficult for the defender to escape.

It may be difficult to understand why a fighter should be able to «brake» quickly. In the offensive role, this becomes important whenever I point my nose at an opponent who turns towards me. This results in a rapidly decreasing distance between our two airplanes. Being able to slow down quicker provides me the opportunity to maintain my nose pointed towards my opponent longer, thus allowing more opportunities to employ weapons, before the distance decreases so much that a role reversal takes place.

To sum it up, my experience so far is that the F-35 makes it easier for me to maintain the offensive role, and it provides me more opportunities to effectively employ weapons at my opponent.

In the defensive role the same characteristics are valuable. I can «whip» the airplane around in a reactive maneuver while slowing down. The F-35 can actually slow down quicker than you´d be able to emergency brake your car. This is important because my opponent has to react to me «stopping, or risk ending up in a role-reversal where he flies past me. (Same principle as many would have seen in Top Gun; «hit the brakes, and he’ll fly right by.» But me quoting Top Gun does not make the movie a documentary).

Defensive situations often result in high AOA and low airspeeds. At high AOA the F-16 reacts slowly when I move the stick sideways to roll the airplane. The best comparison I can think of is being at the helm of ship (without me really knowing what I am talking about – I’m not a sailor). Yet another quality of the F-35 becomes evident in this flight regime; using the rudder pedals I can command the nose of the airplane from side to side. The F-35 reacts quicker to my pedal inputs than the F-16 would at its maximum AOA (the F-16 would actually be out of control at this AOA). This gives me an alternate way of pointing the airplane where I need it to, in order to threaten an opponent. This «pedal turn» yields an impressive turn rate, even at low airspeeds. In a defensive situation, the «pedal turn» provides me the ability to rapidly neutralize a situation, or perhaps even reverse the roles entirely.

Exclusive: Pentagon, Lockheed near deal on $9 billion F-35 contract - sources

The U.S. Department of Defense and Lockheed Martin Corp (LMT.N) are close to deal for a contract worth almost $9 billion as negotiations are poised to bring the price per F-35 below $100 million for the first time, people familiar with the talks said Wednesday. The F-35, the Pentagon's costliest arms program, has drawn fire from U.S. President-elect Donald Trump who has made lowering prices for military equipment a pillar of his transition into office. Talks are still ongoing for the tenth batch of stealthy fighter jets with a deal for 90 planes expected to be announced by the end of the month, three people said on condition of anonymity. A Lockheed representative declined to comment and a representative for the fighter program said negotiations are ongoing.

Forum List

Back