External TV Speakers

Bose of course.....

actually I am just being snotty. speakers are a thing I actually have to listen to to decide whether or not I like them. I have had some off brand ones with great sound and some name brand ones that just irritated me. Whatever you decide, see if you can listen to them first to save the returns headache.
I'm not interested in theater quality considering my TV is not high end and I rarely watch it, it's for the wife, primarily for better volume.
I hooked up my TV to a stereo receiver and a pair of JPL speakers for that very reason – I couldn’t hear anything with the TV’s speakers.
I haven't owned a stereo receiver for at least 2 decades....... :lol:

Looking for inexpensive (good quality) external speakers for an Insignia 39" LED TV. Any recommendations?

I have to admit that I really dislike the speakers designed for TV. The best system I had honestly, was a full size stereo system. Just had the TV plugged into that, and it was exceptionally good.

But of course really good stereos these days are expensive.
Get what you pay for I guess.
Guess they want us to buy external speakers.......

The flatter/skinnier the screen, the smaller the speakers that come in it. I can't even hear my tv. They are small..and in the back as usual. I wanted a speaker bar but have no clue what kind to get although they do have some cheapos at Amazon. I just want to plug it in and be able to hear what I'm watching without having to buy a Insert Speakers To Your TV For Dummies book.

I take it back... I can think of one set of speakers that I did have a high respect for.

So I work at a testing lab, where we test stuff that is returned to make sure it is good for re-sale.

Logitech Z906 5.1 Speakers - Newegg.com

Logitech Z906 500W 5.1 Speakers

I buy everything techy from NewEgg. I never buy amazon or anywhere else for tech stuff.

SO.... We had the previous version of this setup come in the lab.... it was unbelievable. 100% clear sound, super low base, and high notes that would make symphony orchestra proud. It was amazing. We played the THX sound test perfectly on this.

Had a little retro movie time with these speakers, and played the Matrix Lobby shoot out scene with it.

So while I'm still gun shy of TV speakers in general from a large number of bad experiences.... I can say that at least Logitech mid-range speakers are quality.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to fork over $250 for them.

The specific model I test was the 200 watt version, and it was not surround sound. So this is more expensive than the ones we tested, but that version is no longer sold. I would assume... that new Z906 is just as good.

That's about the best recommendation I can give you. We had an absolute blast with these logitech speakers.... in fact the company next door to our company, requested we turn it down.... so.... yeah.

You can walk into Walmart and buy a sond bar for $30-$250. Cheap sound bar is great sound. But with its own remote, RCA plugs. Optical cable cost ~$20 extra. 2nd remote is slow.

A better $150 Samsung can plug in optical cable (comes with). Remote can easily sink to your cable box remote. Some have a subwoffer plug into wall. No issue ifplug nearby. Sound is better. Biggest issue is cable audio from source.....some channels low, some higher.

Many ar ~$100? Too. Sound is good. Helps some with weak audio movie channels. Use the sound leveler on TV to try to equalize out dynamic range? Meaning weak ch's or blasting commercials.

If this is just a junk TV in back room to watch talk new....cheap one is fine. If you remote thru 200 chs' or watch mvies, sports.....maybe you need a good one. 200W-300W is commo. And upper end? No need most likely.

Is your 39" TV 4K? Probably not? But no matter for sound. Maybe even the sound bars are wall powered, I dont know? This is the sort of touch type post I can produce off top of head w/o doing any work. I got one cheap and one better this year. No real issues other than a second remote on cheap one to mute commercials. Try to make sure they come with hook up cables or you have to look around for that.

Last edited:
Looking for inexpensive (good quality) external speakers for an Insignia 39" LED TV. Any recommendations?
I still have a Vizio 37" that has a great panel and delivers great 1080p quality. Great bedroom tv. There are plenty of good used home theatre set ups on cragslist etc. Grab one that isn't wrecked then buy a new subwoofer.

Well, the answer obviously depends on a few factors:
  • Are the TV ext. speaker ports high level internally driven (where you just connect a speaker) or low level analog (RCA jacks) or digital requiring powered speakers?
  • If the former, what is the wattage available and the desired impedance? 8 ohm?
That will decide everything. If you are lucky and can just connect speakers, DO NOT buy PC speakers. Find an old used pair of stereo bookshelf speakers with good sound, probably two way with around a 5-6-inch woofer. Radio Shack actually used to make a great little speaker in a metal cabinet called the Minimus 7. Yeah, I know, Radio Shack, right? But they were actually nice little speakers that would totally ROCK for a TV set. I use a pair for my sound system down in my basement work shop.

View attachment 270288

That's true. I had two of them I used as the rear speakers in a car I owned many years ago. They were remarkable speakers and I still have them around here someplace. The car, after 250k miles, caught fire while I was driving and burned to a crisp. I went back and rescued the speakers, about the only thing left!

You can walk into Walmart and buy a sond bar for $30-$250. Cheap sound bar is great sound. But with its own remote, RCA plugs. Optical cable cost ~$20 extra. 2nd remote is slow.

A better $150 Samsung can plug in optical cable (comes with). Remote can easily sink to your cable box remote. Some have a subwoffer plug into wall. No issue ifplug nearby. Sound is better. Biggest issue is cable audio from source.....some channels low, some higher.

Many ar ~$100? Too. Sound is good. Helps some with weak audio movie channels. Use the sound leveler on TV to try to equalize out dynamic range? Meaning weak ch's or blasting commercials.

If this is just a junk TV in back room to watch talk new....cheap one is fine. If you remote thru 200 chs' or watch mvies, sports.....maybe you need a good one. 200W-300W is commo. And upper end? No need most likely.

Is your 39" TV 4K? Probably not? But no matter for sound. Maybe even the sound bars are wall powered, I dont know? This is the sort of touch type post I can produce off top of head w/o doing any work. I got one cheap and one better this year. No real issues other than a second remote on cheap one to mute commercials. Try to make sure they come with hook up cables or you have to look around for that.
Awesome........ I guess........ I know computer Geekanese but does Google translator work with stereospeak?

Bose of course.....

actually I am just being snotty. speakers are a thing I actually have to listen to to decide whether or not I like them. I have had some off brand ones with great sound and some name brand ones that just irritated me. Whatever you decide, see if you can listen to them first to save the returns headache.
I'm not interested in theater quality considering my TV is not high end and I rarely watch it, it's for the wife, primarily for better volume.
I hooked up my TV to a stereo receiver and a pair of JPL speakers for that very reason – I couldn’t hear anything with the TV’s speakers.

Modern TVs especially the flat panel type intended to be mounted to a wall are really considered monitors by the manufacturer. The speaker system is really an after thought with tiny speakers because:

A). There is no room for anything else in the slim cabinet.
B). No power. Same reason. Just a cheap class D op-amp with little power.
C). They really expect (and hope) that you will attach the TV to a "home theater" (Which they hope to sell you) with some sort of bullshit Dolby 5.1 speaker deal with center channel, bass cabinet and little front/rear satellite speakers.

By far, the better option if you can do it, is attach a small stereo integrated amp or old FM tuner/receiver to a supplied RCA audio out to one of its aux. inputs, even 40 watts is fine, which then lets you run a half decent pair of real stereo speakers. Set up right, you get a good virtual dialog channel, spacious sound-stage and imaging, and good impact and bass capability.

For contrast on connections, here is the input panel on my mid-bass cabinets of a 5 cabinet speaker system (9 drivers) removed for rewiring, on a two channel (front Left/Right) system. The original connectors were 1/4" phone TRS converted here to Neutrik connectors (the blue connector seen protruding) which interlock the cable designed for up to 1,000 watts continuous current to the 18" drivers. That is just for the upper bass/mid-bass. Options for the consumer these days are pathetic.

PB193774.JPG

Last edited:

Forum List

Back