External TV Speakers

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Looking for inexpensive (good quality) external speakers for an Insignia 39" LED TV. Any recommendations?

Bose of course.....

actually I am just being snotty. speakers are a thing I actually have to listen to to decide whether or not I like them. I have had some off brand ones with great sound and some name brand ones that just irritated me. Whatever you decide, see if you can listen to them first to save the returns headache.

Bose of course.....

actually I am just being snotty. speakers are a thing I actually have to listen to to decide whether or not I like them. I have had some off brand ones with great sound and some name brand ones that just irritated me. Whatever you decide, see if you can listen to them first to save the returns headache.
I'm not interested in theater quality considering my TV is not high end and I rarely watch it, it's for the wife, primarily for better volume.

Bose of course.....

Oh and I have a Bose radio for sale.......... It was my dad's, somehow I ended up with it and have never unboxed it since I inherited it back in 2015.

Bose of course.....

Oh and I have a Bose radio for sale.......... It was my dad's, somehow I ended up with it and have never unboxed it since I inherited it back in 2015.

Ebay it.

Bose of course.....

Ebay it.
Have to figure out which box it's currently packed in, finishing up moving, updating aspects of the house we bought, etc. Might find it this time next year...... :lol:

Don't watch much TV, but I just used a pair of PC speakers on my little Phillips cheapo; as long as it has an independent volume amp and tone control a Walmart mid-priced set would be fine. Many 'no names' are made in the same production lines as the 'high end' name brands, by the way.

Bose of course.....

Ebay it.
Have to figure out which box it's currently packed in, finishing up moving, updating aspects of the house we bought, etc. Might find it this time next year...... :lol:

That was me 4 year ago only I now have no delusion that I will ever unpack the boxes that are left. If I hadn't needed it find it by now, I probably won't ever need to find it.

Bose of course.....

Bose? Bose? As someone who worked in the audio and sound industry many years both professionally and privately, I can tell you that Bose products are the most over-hyped, over-marketed consumer pieces of CRAP out there since Bogen came along! HaHa BOSE??? Gobble Gobble

Looking for inexpensive (good quality) external speakers for an Insignia 39" LED TV. Any recommendations?

Well, the answer obviously depends on a few factors:
  • Are the TV ext. speaker ports high level internally driven (where you just connect a speaker) or low level analog (RCA jacks) or digital requiring powered speakers?
  • If the former, what is the wattage available and the desired impedance? 8 ohm?
That will decide everything. If you are lucky and can just connect speakers, DO NOT buy PC speakers. Find an old used pair of stereo bookshelf speakers with good sound, probably two way with around a 5-6-inch woofer. Radio Shack actually used to make a great little speaker in a metal cabinet called the Minimus 7. Yeah, I know, Radio Shack, right? But they were actually nice little speakers that would totally ROCK for a TV set. I use a pair for my sound system down in my basement work shop.

437484-pair_of_realistic_minimus_7_speakers_402030c.jpg

• Are the TV ext. speaker ports high level internally driven (where you just connect a speaker) or low level analog (RCA jacks) or digital requiring powered speakers?
  • If the former, what is the wattage available and the desired impedance? 8 ohm?
That will decide everything. If you are lucky and can just connect speakers, DO NOT buy PC speakers. Find an old used pair of stereo bookshelf speakers with good sound, probably two way with around a 5-6-inch woofer. Radio Shack actually used to make a great little speaker in a metal cabinet called the Minimus 7. Yeah, I know, Radio Shack, right? But they were actually nice little speakers that would totally ROCK for a TV set. I use a pair for my sound system down in my basement work shop.

View attachment 270288
All I know is it has both digital and analog connections other than that I haven't a clue nor do I have a clue as to where to look. I know nothing about TVs and sound systems.

View attachment 270288
Okay, found this;

_88pVMrfE7jB1Bupd1PmlptVLJZqLO7h9aJlXTPLK0J0wEuXvTAdigLZHSWaVG_rZw-wZ329f-kV5IrS7gLpfvzzimoFHIBpgFZYrK2xn6384_w3UcPAPacM7otY0tfzayfa-D5ISaDDk2GyiV5zMNrh7no6rLN6ic1l_N9Fnm2H2XiNVcGZmBVjE6BovNAT74hXSX4aeCQNQSanLPwcV8IZd9AsNvpkTQpaUhPrb91ksW0aAFAB4Gz4BczizLZwe0nwRlHr6jE19FUovF_t3xtGOed483tJ0V2Q3RVdkYof99I7KzM_PC9kJ7GaDqvPh6WXGWlCFL-cuERYpNdTI6ws6mMan96vgiE6uliooS6BBHmNrWydGbWOlqc6m56RP1GAIlVzvj-QgVtl5xYUMvPnnN-zKljy1kOtkYeimV_RGM3xWNJnf58c1Wy1v2snTmFwi6RpHG8TyJPC2zSlDkgy1URSJYMWys_luBW5LBiMclMPDR1fmZZ0mIEQB-wy41VNebBaXJylF8MTXb5wYFCmW7DXS0xTdk1TmCclrQgVugVXLt7ZV5DP4gfiluK_6HiXGzpjcR4GgBixWObK2-aWHjgeSsQmGJM2RUXroE-sRhqqC-2cf4gsrzzXCVAUEmPPRViEkQImWl97UCk72JqB2i6FSdw=w772-h702-no

View attachment 270288
Okay, found this;

_88pVMrfE7jB1Bupd1PmlptVLJZqLO7h9aJlXTPLK0J0wEuXvTAdigLZHSWaVG_rZw-wZ329f-kV5IrS7gLpfvzzimoFHIBpgFZYrK2xn6384_w3UcPAPacM7otY0tfzayfa-D5ISaDDk2GyiV5zMNrh7no6rLN6ic1l_N9Fnm2H2XiNVcGZmBVjE6BovNAT74hXSX4aeCQNQSanLPwcV8IZd9AsNvpkTQpaUhPrb91ksW0aAFAB4Gz4BczizLZwe0nwRlHr6jE19FUovF_t3xtGOed483tJ0V2Q3RVdkYof99I7KzM_PC9kJ7GaDqvPh6WXGWlCFL-cuERYpNdTI6ws6mMan96vgiE6uliooS6BBHmNrWydGbWOlqc6m56RP1GAIlVzvj-QgVtl5xYUMvPnnN-zKljy1kOtkYeimV_RGM3xWNJnf58c1Wy1v2snTmFwi6RpHG8TyJPC2zSlDkgy1URSJYMWys_luBW5LBiMclMPDR1fmZZ0mIEQB-wy41VNebBaXJylF8MTXb5wYFCmW7DXS0xTdk1TmCclrQgVugVXLt7ZV5DP4gfiluK_6HiXGzpjcR4GgBixWObK2-aWHjgeSsQmGJM2RUXroE-sRhqqC-2cf4gsrzzXCVAUEmPPRViEkQImWl97UCk72JqB2i6FSdw=w772-h702-no

You have both an analog and digital audio out. I myself would steer clear of the digital. Then you need powered speakers that have built in DACS (digital to analog conversion) + a small power amplifier to drive an analog speaker anyway. This stuff is already IN your TV set you paid for. All you need is a pair of small bookshelf speakers, aim for 6-8 ohm impedance (since they don't specify, that is the average), if you are a little off, it won't hurt, just affect speaker efficiency. Look for small 2 way speakers as I said with a power rating of around 10-15 watts. No less than 5 watts and no more than 25 watts. Less than 5 watts and you will overdrive them to distortion or breakage, more than 25 watts, the internal TV amp might not drive them hard enough to saturate the magnetic cores well to get them to sound full. PC speakers are crap. Find yourself a small pair of bookshelf speakers in good condition at a yard sale or eBay.

Here's a couple of Minimus 7s I found on eBay. All you need then is a patch cord that fits whatever connection in your TV on the one end. Other end to speaker is actually just bare wire you stick into little alligator jaws. Just observe the polarity. It would be nice if your TV had more omph than just 5 watts but at least you can try these. They should work OK and give you much better sound and bass level than you have now.

Realistic Minimus 7 Bookshelf Speakers | eBay

Pair Vtg Realistic Minimus-7 Silver Bookshelf Stereo System Speakers Radio Shack | eBay

EDIT - NO WAIT. You spec sheet is crappy. You might only have a headphone port and a digital audio port. The "audio" spec could be interpreted to just mean the internal speakers. Confirm before you buy anything. Look at the back. You don't want to drive speakers off the headphone port, it will sound like crap. Cheap op-amp circuit. You might be stuck having to buy a pair of digital input (TOSLINK) powered shit speakers at far too high a price. Basically glorified PC speakers. Looks like your TV company again screwed the consumer.

Last edited:

View attachment 270288
Okay, found this;

You have both an analog and digital audio out. I myself would steer clear of the digital. Then you need powered speakers that have built in DACS (digital to analog conversion) + a small power amplifier to drive an analog speaker anyway. This stuff is already IN your TV set you paid for. All you need is a pair of small bookshelf speakers, aim for 6-8 ohm impedance (since they don't specify, that is the average), if you are a little off, it won't hurt, just affect speaker efficiency. Look for small 2 way speakers as I said with a power rating of around 10-15 watts. No less than 5 watts and no more than 25 watts. Less than 5 watts and you will overdrive them to distortion or breakage, more than 25 watts, the internal TV amp might not drive them hard enough to saturate the magnetic cores well to get them to sound full. PC speakers are crap. Find yourself a small pair of bookshelf speakers in good condition at a yard sale or eBay.

Here's a couple of Minimus 7s I found on eBay. All you need then is a patch cord that fits whatever connection in your TV on the one end. Other end to speaker is actually just bare wire you stick into little alligator jaws. Just observe the polarity. It would be nice if your TV had more omph than just 5 watts but at least you can try these. They should work OK and give you much better sound and bass level than you have now.

Pair Vtg Realistic Minimus-7 Silver Bookshelf Stereo System Speakers Radio Shack | eBay
Thanks. Believe it or not I do know how to hook up regular stereo speakers...... :D What I don't know is what you mean by a "patch cord" and how that would work with say the RCA connects.

View attachment 270288
Okay, found this;

Thanks. Believe it or not I do know how to hook up regular stereo speakers...... :D What I don't know is what you mean by a "patch cord" and how that would work with say the RCA connects.

Speakers have all kinds of connections, from alligator clip to binding posts to banana jacks to barrier strip to even other types used in pro sound. Whatever kind of speaker you find you can use, the patch cord needs to match the connections at both ends. Sometimes you can buy them, sometimes you can make them. If you end up only being able to use digital, which looks likely, then you will need to know if it is an electrical or optical interface. Electrical means something close to TV cable coax. Optical interface will mean either plastic (TOSLINK) or the better glass fiber AT&T standard.

View attachment 270288
Okay, found this;

Speakers have all kinds of connections, from alligator clip to binding posts to banana jacks to barrier strip to even other types used in pro sound. Whatever kind of speaker you find you can use, the patch cord needs to match the connections at both ends. Sometimes you can buy them, sometimes you can make them. If you end up only being able to use digital, which looks likely, then you will need to know if it is an electrical or optical interface. Electrical means something close to TV cable coax. Optical interface will mean either plastic (TOSLINK) or the better glass fiber AT&T standard.
The manual has instructions for Digital optical audio cable connector TOSLINK and for the three plug audio cable

Bose of course.....

I'm not interested in theater quality considering my TV is not high end and I rarely watch it, it's for the wife, primarily for better volume.
I hooked up my TV to a stereo receiver and a pair of JPL speakers for that very reason – I couldn’t hear anything with the TV’s speakers.

I have to admit that I really dislike the speakers designed for TV. The best system I had honestly, was a full size stereo system. Just had the TV plugged into that, and it was exceptionally good.

But of course really good stereos these days are expensive.
Get what you pay for I guess.

Forum List

Back