Expectations of Minimum Wage

Nobody should apply for minimum wage jobs. Let them be unfilled.
Initforme, the federal minimum rate is the minimum of all USA lower wage rates and its purchasing power effects that of all USA wage rates.

Let them, (all lower wage rate jobs) be unfilled?

Excluding the most expensive of of places outside of residences, or small businesses where the proprietors or their family do the cleaning, you'll have to become accustomed to filth. If the inhabitants of residences are not wealthy, they of course will clean their own homes.
There will be other inconveniences due to not hiring low-wage labor. But to start with, just consider these.

Respectfully, Supposn

Nobody should apply for minimum wage jobs. Let them be unfilled.
Initforme, the federal minimum rate is the minimum of all USA lower wage rates and its purchasing power effects that of all USA wage rates.

Let them, (all lower wage rate jobs) be unfilled?

Excluding the most expensive of of places outside of residences, or small businesses where the proprietors or their family do the cleaning, you'll have to become accustomed to filth. If the inhabitants of residences are not wealthy, they of course will clean their own homes.
There will be other inconveniences due to not hiring low-wage labor. But to start with, just consider these.

Respectfully, Supposn

the federal minimum rate is the minimum of all USA lower wage rates and its purchasing power effects that of all USA wage rates.

Too few people making too little money don't effect all our wages. Not even a little.

Exactly. Now that's four workers earning zero.
Four workers earning an increased wage

Did you miss the notice? That store closed.
If that store has to rely on a $7.25 workforce to survive, they don’t belong in business

Minimum wage workers don't deserve jobs, eh?
Or their managers, suppliers, investors.

If your business cannot survive without the government supporting a low wage workforce, you are better off closed

Low skilled workers should not be expected to support your profits

you do know ho that works right????

the federal minimum rate is the minimum of all USA lower wage rates and its purchasing power effects that of all USA wage rates.

Too few people making too little money don't effect all our wages. Not even a little.
ToddsterPatriot, due to the concept of median wage, no less than 1/3 of USA's wage earners earn less than the median wage.

Referring to Distribution of employment by wage range for each major occupational group, May 2016 :

Depending upon how you would define the proportion of 2016 wage earners working for lower wage rates, they're 9.8% that worked for no more than $9.24 per hour, to 39% that worked for no more than $18.74 per hour. Almost 26% of those employees were working for less than $11.75 per hour.

USA's 2016 median rate was then some where within the $18.75 - $23.99 range. Can you explain what you intended to express within your post #263?

Respectfuly, Supposn

ToddsterPatriot, due to the concept of median wage, no less than 1/3 of USA's wage earners earn less than the median wage.

Referring to Distribution of employment by wage range for each major occupational group, May 2016 :

Depending upon how you would define the proportion of 2016 wage earners working for lower wage rates, they're 9.8% that worked for no more than $9.24 per hour, to 39% that worked for no more than $18.74 per hour. Almost 26% of those employees were working for less than $11.75 per hour.

USA's 2016 median rate was then some where within the $18.75 - $23.99 range. Can you explain what you intended to express within your post #263?

Respectfuly, Supposn

due to the concept of median wage, no less than 1/3 of USA's wage earners earn less than the median wage.

Half of earners earn less than the median wage.

Can you explain what you intended to express within your post #263?
upload_2019-4-14_22-3-41.png

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2017 : BLS Reports: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

The bottom 1.8 million earners out of over 150 million workers don't affect "all of our wages".

I'm sure this thread has been done to death, but I have never followed any as of yet. I think it boils down to one simple question. Are minimum wage jobs meant to support and raise families, to be the primary income for families? Does it make sense for someone working at McDonald's for 30 hrs a week, if they can get those hours, to say hey, I think I'll have three kids? I know many Republicans make the erroneous statement that it is just high school kids getting their first jobs. Many, many adults work minimum wage jobs, and many adults are not able to move up to better jobs. This doesn't change anything however, because if you are an adult, I would hope you would not try to start a family on a minimum wage job. Why do Democrats think that adults who work minimum wage jobs should have kids they can't afford? I have a strong hunch that the attempt to make every single job in America a bread winning family supporting job is a folly. Does it make sense that every job should guarantee the ability to raise a family? I think it makes more sense for people to wait to have kids until if or when they can afford them. Is that a radical idea?

I dunno. Its a deep topic. Minimum wage going up is going to cause inflation. Inflation will lessen the burden of plenty of bad mortgages.

Also consider those for illegals are effectively for people working under minimum wage. Those against illegals are demanding businesses pay at least minimum wage.
Minimum wage increases today do not carry the impact on inflation they once did because this is not 1974 when most of the country were on union or government wage scales. In those days if you increased minimum 5%, damn near every wage in the country went up 5% but not today. Salary scales are not uniform at all. Custodians might get a 5% and there boss a 2% and that's it. An increase in minimum wage may raise the wages of only 10% of the workers in a business because of lack of uniformity in salary scales. In Seattle they raised the minimum wage to $15 and I was shocked to see how few people were effected.

the federal minimum rate is the minimum of all USA lower wage rates and its purchasing power effects that of all USA wage rates. ...
ToddsterPatriot, due to the concept of median wage, no less than 1/3 of USA's wage earners earn less than the median wage. ... Can you explain what you intended to express within your post #263?
due to the concept of median wage ...
Half of earners earn less than the median wage. ... The bottom 1.8 million earners out of over 150 million workers don't affect "all of our wages".
ToddsterPatriot, yes, you're correct; typographical error. The wording should be, due to the concept of median wage, no less than 1/3 of USA's wage earners earn less than the middle wage range.

I did not state that lower wage rate workers affect all wage scales. I stated that the federal minimum wage to some extent effects all USA wage scales. You're not deliberately trying to misquote me?

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:
the federal minimum rate is the minimum of all USA lower wage rates and its purchasing power effects that of all USA wage rates. ...

ToddsterPatriot, due to the concept of median wage, no less than 1/3 of USA's wage earners earn less than the median wage. ... Can you explain what you intended to express within your post #263?
due to the concept of median wage ...
Half of earners earn less than the median wage. ...
... The bottom 1.8 million earners out of over 150 million workers don't affect "all of our wages".
ToddsterPatriot, yes, you're correct; typographical error. The wording should be, due to the concept of median wage, no less than 1/3 of USA's wage earners earn less than the middle wage range.

I did not state that lower wage rate workers affect all wage scales. I stated that the federal minimum wage to some extent effects all USA wage scales. You're not deliberately trying to misquote me?

Respectfully, Supposn

I did not state that lower wage rate workers affect all wage scales.
I stated that the federal minimum wage to some extent effects all USA wage scales.

And your statement is wrong.

I'm sure this thread has been done to death, but I have never followed any as of yet. I think it boils down to one simple question. Are minimum wage jobs meant to support and raise families, to be the primary income for families? Does it make sense for someone working at McDonald's for 30 hrs a week, if they can get those hours, to say hey, I think I'll have three kids? I know many Republicans make the erroneous statement that it is just high school kids getting their first jobs. Many, many adults work minimum wage jobs, and many adults are not able to move up to better jobs. This doesn't change anything however, because if you are an adult, I would hope you would not try to start a family on a minimum wage job. Why do Democrats think that adults who work minimum wage jobs should have kids they can't afford? I have a strong hunch that the attempt to make every single job in America a bread winning family supporting job is a folly. Does it make sense that every job should guarantee the ability to raise a family? I think it makes more sense for people to wait to have kids until if or when they can afford them. Is that a radical idea?

I dunno. Its a deep topic. Minimum wage going up is going to cause inflation. Inflation will lessen the burden of plenty of bad mortgages.

Also consider those for illegals are effectively for people working under minimum wage. Those against illegals are demanding businesses pay at least minimum wage.
Minimum wage increases today do not carry the impact on inflation they once did because this is not 1974 when most of the country were on union or government wage scales. In those days if you increased minimum 5%, damn near every wage in the country went up 5% but not today. Salary scales are not uniform at all. Custodians might get a 5% and there boss a 2% and that's it. An increase in minimum wage may raise the wages of only 10% of the workers in a business because of lack of uniformity in salary scales. In Seattle they raised the minimum wage to $15 and I was shocked to see how few people were effected.
Some manufacturers who did well when wages were low can no longer function without overseas workers who just want a bowl of rice and a little chicken and celery for protein and health. They make knit stockings and sew seams to make clothing for Americans from sometimes materials that are contraindicated to health of the human skin that touches them. Even so, they make clothes for discount houses in America who furnish low-wage and budget-conscientious folk that drive our economy with service, sales and manufacturing jobs to raise their families with. Our masses couldn't live as well if these people in foreign country perished. That's why the world needs to make compromises and accept people for what they can do lest they wind up with all menial jobs farmed out to foreign countries. If our political parties keep declaring war on each other, destroying the Constitution, Churches, and Conscience, our way of life will give rise to totalitarian ways based on loyalty to people who kill when others aren't seig heiling to their every whim. Then nobody has money, nobody has a future, and nobody can afford to raise families. Right now, we're on the brink of dysfunction. That needs to change, and promoting godless ways usually is a beginning of the end. Politics in America is bringing us down from even what my parents had after Dad and my uncles got back from WWII. Wealth doesn't make people happy. Inclusion, acceptance, and incentive does.

I suppose for the benefit of their economy and society, every industrial nation has some laws or regulations that perform functions similar to USA's federal minimum wage rate. Eliminating the federal minimum wage rate would be devastating.
The federal minimum rate is not among the primary drivers of the U.S. dollars inflation. The dollar loses purchasing power even when the minimum rate's not increased.

I'm a proponent of annually increasing the federal minimum's rate by 12.5% until it achieves 125% of its February 1968 Consumer Price Index's value. Thereafter it should be annually monitored and adjusted as to retain that purchasing power.

Respectfully, Supposn

I suppose for the benefit of their economy and society, every industrial nation has some laws or regulations that perform functions similar to USA's federal minimum wage rate. Eliminating the federal minimum wage rate would be devastating.
The federal minimum rate is not among the primary drivers of the U.S. dollars inflation. The dollar loses purchasing power even when the minimum rate's not increased.

I'm a proponent of annually increasing the federal minimum's rate by 12.5% until it achieves 125% of its February 1968 Consumer Price Index's value. Thereafter it should be annually monitored and adjusted as to retain that purchasing power.

Respectfully, Supposn

Eliminating the federal minimum wage rate would be devastating.

You're wrong.

The federal minimum rate is not among the primary drivers of the U.S. dollars inflation.

Because it's not a noticeable driver of US incomes.

I'm a proponent of annually increasing the federal minimum's rate by 12.5% until it achieves 125% of its February 1968 Consumer Price Index's value.

Terrible idea.

Respectfully, Supposn

You're wrong.

The federal minimum rate is not among the primary drivers of the U.S. dollars inflation.

I'm a proponent of annually increasing the federal minimum's rate by 12.5% until it achieves 125% of its February 1968 Consumer Price Index's value.

Terrible idea.
Minimum wage should be set by the states not the Fed.

Respectfully, Supposn

You're wrong.

Terrible idea.
Minimum wage should be set by the states not the Fed.

Minimum wage should be set by the employee.

You're wrong. ... Because it's, [i.e. the federal minimum wage rate's] not a noticeable driver of US incomes. ... [it's a] Terrible idea.
ToddsterPatriot, regardless of your opinion, I suppose for the benefit of their economy and society, every industrial nation has some laws or regulations that perform functions similar to USA's federal minimum wage rate.

Its purchasing power to some extent does bolster all wage scales. It greatest benefit is to lower-wage rate earners because its benefits are inversely and proportionally related to the differences between the minimum and the jobs' wage rates.

Respectfully, Supposn

You're wrong. ... Because it's, [i.e. the federal minimum wage rate's] not a noticeable driver of US incomes. ... [it's a] Terrible idea.
ToddsterPatriot, regardless of your opinion, I suppose for the benefit of their economy and society, every industrial nation has some laws or regulations that perform functions similar to USA's federal minimum wage rate.

Its purchasing power to some extent does bolster all wage scales. It greatest benefit is to lower-wage rate earners because its benefits are inversely and proportionally related to the differences between the minimum and the jobs' wage rates.

Respectfully, Supposn

every industrial nation has some laws or regulations

Yes, lots of nations have lots of stupid laws and stupid regulations.

Its purchasing power to some extent does bolster all wage scales.

The wage earned by the bottom 2% of workers can't be said to bolster all wage scales.

Respectfully, Supposn

The wage earned by the bottom 2% of workers can't be said to bolster all wage scales.

I think 'bolster' means 'inflate'.

Respectfully, Supposn

I think 'bolster' means 'inflate'.

I don't see how $7.25/hour inflates everyone else's wages.

Forum List

Back