Exit polls show all demographics shifted to GOP after 2012

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
You people in the Democrat party base should give yourselves a hand. You had a hand in TURING people off with all your hate, smears, lying fearmongering. bravo:clap2:

SNIP:
posted at 10:41 am on November 6, 2014 by Ed Morrissey
  • 54 SHARES
With most of the results of the midterm elections now counted and confirmed (with a few notable exceptions in Alaska and Virginia), we can now take a look at the exit polls and see what they actually mean. Before and during the election, plenty of speculation arose as to the composition of the turnout and which demographics may have contributed more to Republican success. The Washington Post looked at a comparison between 2012 and 2014 and discovered that all demographics shifted toward the GOP, especially Asian-American voters:
Based on preliminary exit poll data Tuesday night, we were able to say with some certainty how the 2014 electorate compared with 2012 and 2010. In short: It had more white, older voters — the sort of voters more likely to vote Republican.
As it turns out, the effect of that shift was multiplied by the fact that voters across the board were more likely to support Republicans than in past elections.
And when we say all, we mean all:
Support for Democrats was down slightly among black voters. In 2012, black voters backed the president by an 87-point margin; in 2010, black voters supported Democratic House candidates by 80 points, per exits. Last night, they backed Democrats by 79 points. Reduced support plus reduced turnout multiplies the effect for Republicans.
The electorate may have been slightly older and whiter than in 2012, but those changes aren’t as impactful as the overall shift to the GOP. Republicans picked up double-digit percentage gains in the 18-29YO demo and the Latino demo, and eight points among African-Americans. Asian-Americans moved significantly to the GOP over 2012, and even over 2010. Republicans even improved 10% among those earning under $50K, which should have Democrats very worried, and among women, independents, seniors, and so on.

ALL of it here:
Exit polls show all demographics shifted to GOP after 2012 Hot Air

The only one following them now....

js1qie.jpg

Welcome to America, where voter turnout and 10% right in the middle means you either win or lose. That doesn't mean your ideology is winning or losing, that's actually not in play, which is why both parties constantly overplay their hand. The only mandate is to fucking get something done, and neither party can.

Oh yeah, I say SCREW you Democrats. We are DONE trying to work with you. now we the people are going to snub you nasty people and demand WHAT WE WANT DONE

SNIP:

Time to work with the Democrats and Obama? Not so fast
posted at 4:41 pm on November 5, 2014 by Jazz Shaw
  • 110 SHARES
When we published the Election Aftermath thread this morning, you give us an earful. The overarching theme for many of you seemed to be that if there was one thing worse than the prospect of losing the election yesterday, it was winning the election yesterday. The biggest concern seems to involve waiting to see how long it will be before the newly elected GOP majority stabs conservatives in the back. Given the speeches being made by McConnell, Boehner and others since the polls closed, with repeating themes of “getting things done” those look like legitimate concerns. Yes, we want you to accomplish things, but not just anything.
Leon Wolf at Redstate has a similar message for the GOP along the same lines. Dear Republicans: No One Elected You to Work with Democrats

Let us review the bidding. Republicans ran this year on very little of substance. Their brand ID is still very underwater with the American public. There is no program right now that the American public is clamoring for the Republicans to undertake with one exception: they hate what President Obama is doing and they want Republicans to stop it. Exit poll after exit poll last night showed that the single most important thing in the minds of the voters this year was the looming shadow of death Obama cast on all his Democrat allies.
If voters really wanted people who would work closely with Obama and other Democrats to “get things done,” they would have just voted for more Democrats. After all, virtually every elected Democrat has “worked with” Obama (in the sense of doing exactly everything he asked) for the last six solid years. Say what you want about the information level of the average voter, but absolutely no one was confused into thinking that they were replacing a Democrat with a Republican in the hopes that the Republican would be more friendly to the Democrat agenda.
Matt Lewis has a slightly different, but still cautious message. Don’t get too cocky because there are tougher battles to come and they aren’t all that far off.
I
don’t want to be too much of a downer. Republicans ought to celebrate what happened Tuesday night. It’s important to celebrate your victories — but not rest on your laurels. There is a distinction that I think is very important.
The lesson here is not for Republicans to go squishy or cower or retreat ideologically. It is instead for them to do the hard work associated with winning arguments. They must be serious and smart and focused. They must govern as competently as they campaigned. And they must be cognizant of the fact that the demographic challenges that haunted them in 2008 and 2012 among minorities, college-educated urbanites, single women, etc., didn’t magically disappear Tuesday night.
They must modernize, not moderate. They must be confident, but not cocky. This is not an argument for surrender, but rather, an argument for prudence — for that is the only way that conservative ideas will be given a chance to flourish in 21st century America.

ALL of it here:
Time to work with the Democrats and Obama Not so fast Hot Air

"They must govern as competently as they campaigned. And they must be cognizant of the fact that the demographic challenges that haunted them in 2008 and 2012 among minorities, college-educated urbanites, single women, etc., didn’t magically disappear Tuesday night.
They must modernize, not moderate. They must be confident, but not cocky. This is not an argument for surrender, but rather, an argument for prudence — for that is the only way that conservative ideas will be given a chance to flourish in 21st century America."

He's correct, but they will ignore this, of course.

The GOP increased its share of women and minorities. That is good. That will pull the leadership to their needs and away from the far right.

I read a column today that asserted that this election proves that Democrats won the "culture wars;" Republican candidates shied away from socially liberal topics like gender equity, abortion, gay rights, and immigration. The instant they start dancing and celebrating, their true natures will be known.

I believe America will be shaking its collective head in disbelief when they see what they elected.

I can go for these suggestions for Republicans.

SNIP:
November 6, 2014 4:00 AM How ‘Events’ Hurt Democrats
Republicans need to craft a set of policies that will help the nation as a whole.
By Fred Bauer

pic_giant_110614_SM_Joni-Ernst-G.jpg

From supporter to constituent: Joni Ernst on the campaign trail in Ankeny, Ia. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty)
Print
Text
Comments
In a perhaps apocryphal story, Prime Minister Harold Macmillan reportedly said that “events” were the most likely things to disrupt the course of a government. Sometimes, these events might be unexpected random occurrences that elected officials have little responsibility for causing. But at other times, these events are the consequences of government policies. President Obama and his congressional allies were fighting against the headwinds of the supposed “six-year itch,” when voters are likely to weaken the power of the president’s party in Congress. But we can also think of the 2014 midterms as an “events” election: when the deficiencies of the governing paradigm have caused a popular backlash.
Advertisement
Winning the presidency during a time of great national turmoil in 2008, Barack Obama had the potential to forge an enduring governing majority. However, the midterms of 2010 delivered a blow to that hope of a broad coalition. The president’s hard-fought victory in 2012 gave him another four years in the White House, but it did not return Democrats to power in the House.

And now, in 2014, the president finds his party being rejected at the polls throughout the country. Purported “blue states” like Massachusetts, Illinois, and Maryland have elected Republican governors. Republicans seem to be heading to their biggest majority in the House in decades. Since the 1980 landslide, Republicans had never beaten more than two incumbent Democrats in Senate races during an election cycle. Yesterday, they defeated three (in Arkansas, Colorado, and North Carolina), and Bill Cassidy has a good chance of defeating a fourth, Mary Landrieu, in the Louisiana run-off election.

Despite the clucking of many media mandarins, this outcome was not preordained. Many of the states in which Republicans triumphed at both the federal and state levels are very amenable to Democrats. Arkansas Democrat Mark Pryor is a strong campaigner with a distinguished lineage. He handily won election during the pro-Republican 2002 midterms, and Republicans did not even field a candidate against him in 2008. Democrats won Colorado Senate races in 2004, 2008, and 2012. Arkansas’s Tom Cotton and Colorado’s Cory Gardner were fine candidates (candidate quality does matter), but their campaigns — along with those of many other insurgent Republicans — also relied upon a troubled national landscape.

As Franklin Roosevelt’s example shows, a president elected during great unrest can formulate a new governing consensus. But a president who fails to persuade the American public that he has a viable set of policies can also find his administration struggling. And so President Obama’s administration suffered this rebuke at the polls in no small part because of its own failings.

The challenges of dealing with the influx of unaccompanied minors across our southern border, the deeply flawed rollout of the Affordable Care Act, the mishandling of Ebola, the turmoil abroad, the countless scandals regarding the abuse of administrative power, the extended economic stagnation — all these things can partly be traced to the president’s policies. American families have continued to struggle during the supposed “recovery.” For many Americans, there has been a sense of diminished opportunity for many years now, and GDP numbers since 2000 suggest an extended era of slower growth. A frothing stock market has not made many Americans feel much richer.

Despite the president’s promises, the health-care law he championed has increased the health-care costs of many Americans and cut down their medical options. The president’s indifference to enforcing immigration law has probably placed further economic pressures on those struggling to enter or remain in the middle class, as guest workers and illegal labor undermine wages and job opportunities.

ALL of it here:
How Events Hurt Democrats National Review Online

I read a column today that asserted that this election proves that Democrats won the "culture wars;" Republican candidates shied away from socially liberal topics like gender equity, abortion, gay rights, and immigration. The instant they start dancing and celebrating, their true natures will be known.

I believe America will be shaking its collective head in disbelief when they see what they elected.

no, they are showing their disbelief over what they saw from what they elected with Obama and his comrades in arms party. sorry you can spin however you feel helps you deal

They usually do. It's okay, the guy at the top might not be liked but he isn't a nutjob either.

no, they are showing their disbelief over what they saw from what they elected with Obama and his comrades in arms party. sorry you can spin however you feel helps you deal
I refuse to believe, Stephanie, that the American people (as a whole) support homophobic Baptist evangelical gun-toting mean-spirited trolls.

That's what was elected to Congress, via the Republican Party.

There are tons of things that Republicans could do that would garner great support among the majority of Americans: eliminate the medical device tax, outlaw driver's licenses for illegals, remove some of the more ridiculous bits of Obamacare, initiate a Constitutional Amendment to stop the bizarre practice of granting citizenship to anyone who happens to be born here, reign in the EPA on CO2 emissions (it is NOT a pollutant!), and so on.

The key is to make these bills short, succinct, and easily understandable. If Our Beloved President wants to veto them, shame on him.

But I'm not confident that they will do that. I'm afraid they are more like than unlike the Democrats.

You people in the Democrat party base should give yourselves a hand. You had a hand in TURING people off with all your hate, smears, lying fearmongering. bravo:clap2:

SNIP:
posted at 10:41 am on November 6, 2014 by Ed Morrissey
  • 54 SHARES
With most of the results of the midterm elections now counted and confirmed (with a few notable exceptions in Alaska and Virginia), we can now take a look at the exit polls and see what they actually mean. Before and during the election, plenty of speculation arose as to the composition of the turnout and which demographics may have contributed more to Republican success. The Washington Post looked at a comparison between 2012 and 2014 and discovered that all demographics shifted toward the GOP, especially Asian-American voters:
Based on preliminary exit poll data Tuesday night, we were able to say with some certainty how the 2014 electorate compared with 2012 and 2010. In short: It had more white, older voters — the sort of voters more likely to vote Republican.
As it turns out, the effect of that shift was multiplied by the fact that voters across the board were more likely to support Republicans than in past elections.
And when we say all, we mean all:
Support for Democrats was down slightly among black voters. In 2012, black voters backed the president by an 87-point margin; in 2010, black voters supported Democratic House candidates by 80 points, per exits. Last night, they backed Democrats by 79 points. Reduced support plus reduced turnout multiplies the effect for Republicans.
The electorate may have been slightly older and whiter than in 2012, but those changes aren’t as impactful as the overall shift to the GOP. Republicans picked up double-digit percentage gains in the 18-29YO demo and the Latino demo, and eight points among African-Americans. Asian-Americans moved significantly to the GOP over 2012, and even over 2010. Republicans even improved 10% among those earning under $50K, which should have Democrats very worried, and among women, independents, seniors, and so on.

ALL of it here:
Exit polls show all demographics shifted to GOP after 2012 Hot Air

We'll see how well the GOP governs. If the agenda is to flood the president with wedge issue bills, we can expect another two years of the same bitter partisanship. If Social Security and the PPACA are attacked, we can expect the GOP success will be short lived.

So is it okay for liberals to threaten an armed overthrow of the government now, since they lost an election?

Just wondering if some of the righties here are consistent, that's all.

Only one-third of registered voters voted? Are people finally wisening up to the fact that which party is in office doesn't actually make any difference perhaps? :)

So is it okay for liberals to threaten an armed overthrow of the government now, since they lost an election?

Just wondering if some of the righties here are consistent, that's all.

I wonder how the idiot fringe now feels about Nullification. Would they support the right of the people to Nullify the second phrase in the 2nd Amendment, since many feel the birth right of citizenship in the 14th ought to be Nullified?

The far right idiot fringe wants the Federal Government to follow the Constitution, yet only those parts which support their beliefs. Notice how they bitch and whine about Sec. 1 in the 14th, and claim the 16th is theft.

I refuse to believe, Stephanie, that the American people (as a whole) support homophobic Baptist evangelical gun-toting mean-spirited trolls.

who cares what you believe. You live in some liberal la la land and not reality so it's understandable you won't believe WHAT is a proven fact

who cares what you believe. You live in some liberal la la land and not reality so it's understandable you won't believe WHAT is a proven fact

I care what he believes, and I suspect he cares that I know you're one of the dumbest people regularly posting on this message board. You're not only dumb, your posts are iniquitous and thoughtless.

Forum List

Back