Exercise and diet no use for obese

I think it's genetic. I think fat people don't have the ability to stop eating when they are full, and I think they crave more food than they need, and I think it's all genetic.

I know a woman who had gastric bypass surgery about a year ago, and yeah, she lost 50 lbs. But her ideal weight is about 50 lbs less. And she struggles every day...because she STILL wants to eat too much. The surgery doesn't help people who eat when they aren't hungry, and that is the majority of obese people.

Additionally, she works out like crazy...she walks every single day without fail and she walks long distances, fast, up hills. She doesn't eat bread to amount to anything (she can no longer digest it), and she doesn't eat much eat. She lives on mostly raw fruits and vegetables. And she's easily 50 lbs overweight, and can't seem to get past it.

I think it's criminal that doctors today prefer surgery for overweight patients, to medication that will reduce appetite. Nothing makes me more angry than a medical community that refuses to allow medications to be distributed in this country that are proven to control appetite. They prescribe anti depressants like they are going out of style, they love to push blood pressure meds (which really can kill you) and methadone (can also kill you and is addictive) and the drug they give alcoholics (can also kill you) but for God's sakes, don't let those fat women have access to pills that might result in weight loss! Those bitches are too stupid to make an intelligent decision to take a risk like that! Just look at them, they're FAT, aren't they?

She may not be eating enough. If you consume too little calories your body will think it's in starvation/famine mode and hold onto every single pound. She'd do well to try increasing her calories slowly until the scale started moving down again.

I think it's genetic. I think fat people don't have the ability to stop eating when they are full, and I think they crave more food than they need, and I think it's all genetic.

I know a woman who had gastric bypass surgery about a year ago, and yeah, she lost 50 lbs. But her ideal weight is about 50 lbs less. And she struggles every day...because she STILL wants to eat too much. The surgery doesn't help people who eat when they aren't hungry, and that is the majority of obese people.

Additionally, she works out like crazy...she walks every single day without fail and she walks long distances, fast, up hills. She doesn't eat bread to amount to anything (she can no longer digest it), and she doesn't eat much eat. She lives on mostly raw fruits and vegetables. And she's easily 50 lbs overweight, and can't seem to get past it.

I think it's criminal that doctors today prefer surgery for overweight patients, to medication that will reduce appetite. Nothing makes me more angry than a medical community that refuses to allow medications to be distributed in this country that are proven to control appetite. They prescribe anti depressants like they are going out of style, they love to push blood pressure meds (which really can kill you) and methadone (can also kill you and is addictive) and the drug they give alcoholics (can also kill you) but for God's sakes, don't let those fat women have access to pills that might result in weight loss! Those bitches are too stupid to make an intelligent decision to take a risk like that! Just look at them, they're FAT, aren't they?

Look at Americans anywhere you find them; at the mall, on the street, at their jobs, etc. They are generally fat-asses. As they go into middle age they get wider and wider. I think too many Americans can't deny themselves moment to moment pleasures. Used to be that people had the small pleasure of picking up a pack of cigarettes, tap one out, pack the tobacco, light up, and have a pleasurable smoke. Now they are denied that, but little else they can stick into their mouths, endlessly during an evening. And too many aren't doing anything physical on a day to day basis.

A 40 year old male, 5'-10" in height, presently weighing in at 200 pounds, maintaining a "very active life style" could consume 957 calories more per day than a sedentary individual with all the same physical characteristics. And as a person ages, they burn calories less and less efficiently, so that they must make do on fewer calories to maintain the same 200 pounds as seniors than they did in middle age.

Last edited:

Yeah. Those stupid Doctors have absolutely no reason to be cautious about diet pills!

Fenfluramine/phentermine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the new weight loss drugs, what's a little bit of amphetamine among friends, huh?

Totally the same thing as antidepressants.

Actually, I'm talking about the FDA.

And not about amphetamines, which are perfectly legal.

Yeah. Those stupid Doctors have absolutely no reason to be cautious about diet pills!

Fenfluramine/phentermine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the new weight loss drugs, what's a little bit of amphetamine among friends, huh?

Totally the same thing as antidepressants.

Actually, I'm talking about the FDA.

And not about amphetamines, which are perfectly legal.

The FDA is not the "medical community". I am aware that amphetamines are legal. They also aren't a good weight loss option.

After the Fen/Phen disaster (a serotonin agonist and not an amphetamine), it's understandable that doctors wold be a little leery.

Did you know you're an idiot?

Just in case you didn't..you're an idiot.

And the FDA is a part of the medical community.

You may return to giving blowjobs to every doc you meet now.

You know............a lot of people who CLAIM to exercise really don't do much at all.

30 min/day isn't going to do much for you except keep you able to move around. Why? Yes, you increase your metabolic rate, but because you didn't do it long enough, the fat burning increase drops off almost as soon as you stop exercising.

45 min/day or more is the trick, because even after you quit exercising, you've jump started your metabolic rate and it will continue to work at an increased rate for the next 90 minutes.

Me? I'm 47 and still ride a bicycle 10 miles/day or more. Why? Because I like having a 29 inch waist at 5 ft. 7 in. and being healthy.

By the way, I eat almost anything I want, as much as I want. Why can I do that? Because I stay active and don't just sit in front of the television playing games or living on a computer.

If parents would get their kids in the habit of playing hard outside for an hour a day, they would carry that with them into adulthood.

Bicycling is really the best way for men..though there is the problematic testicular cancer thing...I know a couple of guys who are in their 40s, who run to pudge pretty easily, who have hopped on bikes and ride them EVERYWHERE now. They love it and keeps them trim.

I completely agree, we just don't get enough exercise. We have all this tremendous feast-type food available, all the time, and we dont' have to (physically) work to put it on the table..and it can be on the table every single day if we want it there.

In the days before we were obese, things like pizza, spaghetti, garlic bread, fast food, pie, cheesecake, those were fairly special and unusual. And people didn't spend all day on their asses, at work or in front of the television (or computer).

People ate a diet of staples like beans, rice, stew, cabbage..whatever was available. We've replaced local produce with mac & cheese and McDonald's, of COURSE we're fat.

But that doesn't change the fact that some people can't control their appetites. In the old days, those appetites didn't cause much of a problem..I mean if the week's menu consists of a chicken, a pot of beans, oatmeal, cornbread and lots of tomatoes, you can pretty much gorge all you want and not get fat. The cornbread will run out, as will the chicken and you'll be stuck with beans and tomatoes. Eat all you want, lol...

Bicycling is really the best way for men..though there is the problematic testicular cancer thing...I know a couple of guys who are in their 40s, who run to pudge pretty easily, who have hopped on bikes and ride them EVERYWHERE now. They love it and keeps them trim.

I completely agree, we just don't get enough exercise. We have all this tremendous feast-type food available, all the time, and we dont' have to (physically) work to put it on the table..and it can be on the table every single day if we want it there.

In the days before we were obese, things like pizza, spaghetti, garlic bread, fast food, pie, cheesecake, those were fairly special and unusual. And people didn't spend all day on their asses, at work or in front of the television (or computer).

People ate a diet of staples like beans, rice, stew, cabbage..whatever was available. We've replaced local produce with mac & cheese and McDonald's, of COURSE we're fat.

But that doesn't change the fact that some people can't control their appetites. In the old days, those appetites didn't cause much of a problem..I mean if the week's menu consists of a chicken, a pot of beans, oatmeal, cornbread and lots of tomatoes, you can pretty much gorge all you want and not get fat. The cornbread will run out, as will the chicken and you'll be stuck with beans and tomatoes. Eat all you want, lol...

When I was in the Navy, I commuted back and forth to work via bicycle, and generally rode 50-100 miles/day.

Typical food intake for me for 1 day?

Get up in the morning, eat a bowl of cereal, and ride into work. Get changed and go down to the squadron snack shop, get a couple of donuts, a bag of chips and a sub or two. Then, go to lunch and eat around 3 full plates of food. Go back to the squadron, and in the afternoon, eat another 1 or 2 subs, a couple of donuts leftover from that morning and another bag of chips. Get home, eat a full dinner, maybe a bowl or two of ice cream and then go to bed.

Wake up the next morning and start the whole cycle over again. I'd eat anywhere between 2,500 and 4,000 calores/day.

Yes...........if you exercise, you can eat just about anything you want and as much as you want.

I throw this thought out a bit tongue in cheek, have you ever seen a obese native? By native I mean primitive in the sense in which they live outside the modern world, jungles or remote places. If that is the case obesity is not biology but rather a consequence of the modern world. Evolution would favor those who can run and hide and climb, if our ancestors were obese they'd make good food but we'd be missing. And how about anorexia, explain that? ;)

EXERCISE and diet programs are all but useless in helping obese people shed weight permanently, prompting calls from an Australian expert for more public hospitals to offer gastric surgery.

University of Melbourne professor of medicine Joseph Proietto said recent research showed that while obese people who made the effort could shed weight in the short term, after four to five years the lost weight was almost completely regained.

Far from being due to laziness, this appeared to be caused by hormonal changes as the body sought to return to what it considered its benchmark weight.
Uh oh. Bad news for the food nazis.

Comments?
Weight control is 80% diet, 20% exercise. If you didn't get fat with stomach surgery, why would you think you'd get slim with it? :confused: Not logical Captain!

Eliminate all breads, flour, cereals and all grains for one week and watch what happens.

I throw this thought out a bit tongue in cheek, have you ever seen a obese native? By native I mean primitive in the sense in which they live outside the modern world, jungles or remote places. If that is the case obesity is not biology but rather a consequence of the modern world. Evolution would favor those who can run and hide and climb, if our ancestors were obese they'd make good food but we'd be missing. And how about anorexia, explain that? ;)
Close, you're on the right track. Natives who live in the Jungle are eating wild animals, plants and fruits. They eat no chemicals or GMO food at all. No processed sugar, nothing deep fried.

Exercise and diet no use for obese

Poppycock!

I GUARANTEE that any blubber-assed American who lives on the EDITEC lifestyle/diet is GOING TO LOSE WEIGHT.

That's no conjecture, that's not theory, that's a drop dead certainty

I'd be willing to say that if you can ride 10 miles/day on a bicycle, you can eat anything you want, as much as you want.

Trust me.........at 47, I still do that.

How to loose weight the factual way.

Loosing weight is all mathematics. To loose you must put out more calories than you take in. That simple.

Exercise only works if you can elevate your heart rate and keep it at your target rate for fat burning.

Diet works only if you can keep your insuline level flat. When it spikes the body starts storing fat, i.e. at night. Before bed eat fat free cottage cheese because it takes the body a long time to breakdown therefore your insuline leves stay flat while you sleep so your body doesn't store fat.

If you want to loose weight and look good, study how body builders combine diet and exercise. They do this for competition and a living. They will know everything that works and everything that doesn't.

Desire to be thin and fit, combined with will power and motivation will get you to your goal. With out the desire, motivation, and will power you might as well grab the remote and order a pizza.

This thread is depressing! I think I'd better go eat a bowl of ice cream to cheer up.

Butter pecan with chocolate syrup on it. :lol:

EXERCISE and diet programs are all but useless in helping obese people shed weight permanently, prompting calls from an Australian expert for more public hospitals to offer gastric surgery.

University of Melbourne professor of medicine Joseph Proietto said recent research showed that while obese people who made the effort could shed weight in the short term, after four to five years the lost weight was almost completely regained.

Far from being due to laziness, this appeared to be caused by hormonal changes as the body sought to return to what it considered its benchmark weight.

Comments?

I'd have to see some serious evidence that it's due to "hormonal changes", as opposed to a simple unwillingness to make long-term changes in their lifestyle, as opposed to "made the effort" to "shed weight in the short term", which has been my experience.

I lost 120 pounds something like seven years ago - admittedly, with the help of surgery - and have kept it off all this time. NOT because of the surgery, but because I changed my whole lifestyle. By contrast, I know numerous people who had the same surgery, lost comparable amounts of weight, and then regained it all because they went back to their old habits.

Clearly, surgery is not a magical bullet that will somehow combat bad habits or "hormone changes", and the whole "hormone changes" idea is a bit suspicious.

You're describing a psychological problem, not a physical one. And speaking as someone who had that surgery, lost all the weight she needed to, and has kept it off for seven years, I can tell you that your friend is doing it all wrong.

She may not be eating enough. If you consume too little calories your body will think it's in starvation/famine mode and hold onto every single pound. She'd do well to try increasing her calories slowly until the scale started moving down again.

She's also not eating anything even vaguely resembling a healthy, balanced diet, which will also send your body into starvation mode, and can also destroy your liver. She clearly didn't listen to the doctor at all when he told her what her post-surgery diet should be.

Comments?
Weight control is 80% diet, 20% exercise. If you didn't get fat with stomach surgery, why would you think you'd get slim with it? :confused: Not logical Captain!

Eliminate all breads, flour, cereals and all grains for one week and watch what happens.

Any diet that involves eliminating an entire food group is crazy and unhealthy.

Comments?
I am happy to reassure you that diet and exercise[especially weight resistant exercise]is not only healthy but will help you burn body fat!!!it also helps depression ,high blood pressure, and high cholesterol .

Forum List

Back