Exercise and diet no use for obese

Healthy positive lifestyle changes can work very effectively for many obese individuals. For the morbidly obese whose health is being undermined by their condition, gastric surgery is a logical next step. Now let me get back to my Big Mac!

BTW, I do NOT want to pay for gastric bypass surgery with my tax dollars!!!

Last edited:
This is what I know. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. My Dad was overweight and so is my sister. I fight it all the time. I have to use great will power and just force myself to stick to a program. I like Weight Watchers. I eat tons of vegetables, espescially brocolli. I eat a very moderate amount of meat and very little fried foods. I eat whole wheat bread and whole grain cereals. I rarely eat fast food any more at all. I am very active, always on the go, and in the winter when I don't walk the dogs as much, I do some kind of exercise program, in addition to running up and down the stairs, doing endless chores and taking care of 11 animals.

But I crave snacks, love sweets and have to fight with myself all the time. One of my theories is that I work so hard and don't get enough sleep, so I turn to food for energy and comfort.

My husband on the other hand...has maintained the same weight his entire adulthood. He's pushing 50 now and no signs of pudging out. He says he only eats when he's hungry and when he's no longer hungry, he stops eating. He eats very little vegetables and fruit, eats lots of meat, eats white bread and white rice with tons of gravy on it. He usually has some kind of dessert after dinner. He does no exercise, although he is a cook and therefore always on his feet and active at work. He doesn't have to use any willpower. It's not through some superiority of his that his weight is stable. He doesn't have to work at it at all.

So it seems clear to me that some people are dealt a crappier hand when it comes to metabolism and weight issues.

Yes, it is something they can control if they work at it constantly. But it doesn't make them lesser people, even when they lose control from time to time, as I do.

And people who are just thin, and don't have to work at it, are not superior. They're just lucky.

Last edited:
You know.........back when I was stationed with VFA-131 I rode a bicycle everywhere I went, it was like my car. The commute from my house to the base was 10 miles 1 way, but I rode it every day.

Whenever we deployed onboard USS DWIGHT D EISENHOWER (CVN-69), my eating habits didn't change and I'd usually gain anywhere from 30-40 pounds over a 6 month deployment.

When I got back to the States? I started riding again, and generally within 2-3 weeks, all the excess poundage would go away.

I still ride even at 47. It's good for me and it helps to keep me healthy and fit.

Riding a bicycle is one of the more efficient ways to exercise without the stress on your body that something like running would do.

And, I'd heartily recommend to ANYONE to ride for 45 min/3 times/wk. I promise, if you keep it up for at least 3 weeks, you'll lose weight.

And then........there's the additional savings of gas money.

EXERCISE and diet programs are all but useless in helping obese people shed weight permanently, prompting calls from an Australian expert for more public hospitals to offer gastric surgery.

University of Melbourne professor of medicine Joseph Proietto said recent research showed that while obese people who made the effort could shed weight in the short term, after four to five years the lost weight was almost completely regained.

Far from being due to laziness, this appeared to be caused by hormonal changes as the body sought to return to what it considered its benchmark weight.

Uh oh. Bad news for the food nazis.

Comments?

So what will it be?

Food Nazis or Health Care covering Gastric Surgery for the obese?

Eating healthy, and still being fat. Or, eating anything you want and still being fat. Or getting gastric surgery and hope the fat stays off.

Seems like if this is true a lot of doctors who specialize in this will be making some BIG BUCKS in the future, unless obesity is going to become the 'norm' and nobody even cares what size they are anymore.

I don't think you learn much when you have liposuction or gastric surgery. Metabolism changes once you get up and move.

You know.........back when I was stationed with VFA-131 I rode a bicycle everywhere I went, it was like my car. The commute from my house to the base was 10 miles 1 way, but I rode it every day.

Whenever we deployed onboard USS DWIGHT D EISENHOWER (CVN-69), my eating habits didn't change and I'd usually gain anywhere from 30-40 pounds over a 6 month deployment.

When I got back to the States? I started riding again, and generally within 2-3 weeks, all the excess poundage would go away.

I still ride even at 47. It's good for me and it helps to keep me healthy and fit.

Riding a bicycle is one of the more efficient ways to exercise without the stress on your body that something like running would do.

And, I'd heartily recommend to ANYONE to ride for 45 min/3 times/wk. I promise, if you keep it up for at least 3 weeks, you'll lose weight.

You're saying that you would lose 30-40 pounds in 2-3 weeks just from riding a bicycle?

30-40 pounds???? I know men lose faster than women, but that sounds ludicrous.

You're also making an assumption that all overweight people are sedentary. Not so.

My husband used to walk to and from work. Not that far, maybe three miles a day. Then I started giving him rides. His weight inched up maybe five pounds. Then it went back down again. He made no conscious adjustments. He is one of the blessed.

Last edited:
3,500 calories = 1 lb of fat
There are 3,500 calories in 1 pound of fat. To burn one pound, you must burn 3,500 calories. This can be done by reducing calorie intake and increasing your activity. Do not decrease your calories by more than 500-800 calories a day. This will slow your metabolism. Try to increase your activity by engaging in moderate to intense exercise for 20-45 minutes a minimum of 3 times a week. A 1-2 pound loss in weight a week is a healthy and more maintainable amount of weight loss.

Let's say you typically eat 2,500 calories per day, and want to lose weight. To lose one pound in a week, you would need to eat 3,500 calories less during that week. This would mean reducing your caloric intake to 2,000 calories per day for the week, since 2,500-2,000 = 500 and 500 x 7 days = 3,500 calories.

Read more: How many calories do you need to burn to lose one pound

You're saying that you would lose 30-40 pounds in 2-3 weeks just from riding a bicycle?

30-40 pounds???? I know men lose faster than women, but that sounds ludicrous.

You're also making an assumption that all overweight people are sedentary. Not so.

My husband used to walk to and from work. Not that far, maybe three miles a day. Then I started giving him rides. His weight inched up maybe five pounds. Then it went back down again. He made no conscious adjustments. He is one of the blessed.

Yeah........I am. Did you read how far I rode each way? 10 miles.

When I was stationed in Jacksonville, I rode 50-100 miles/day.

And no.........I didn't say anything about overweight people being sedentary. You read that in my post.

I said, if you get active, you're gonna lose weight. I also gave you a good way to do it.

Trust me...........I was a Navy Physical Readiness Coordinator for around 8 years.

This is what I know. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. My Dad was overweight and so is my sister. I fight it all the time. I have to use great will power and just force myself to stick to a program. I like Weight Watchers. I eat tons of vegetables, espescially brocolli. <snip>

Wouldn't want to stand behind Koosh when, well,you know!
:eusa_shhh:
:redface:

Exercise and diet is not fully solution of weight controlling and lose. It actual supporting to control better on health and fitness with weight loss. After all that need perfect care from human to make good access of its.

I have watched so many people truly and seriously try to lose weight and fail miserably.

And a lot of them really didn't eat a whole lot, either. They seemed destined by genetics to get fat.

My sympathy to those of you who are prone to getting fat.

I cannot imagine what its like to have an appetite that is constantly enticing you to eat more food than your body needs.
That last sentence is it.Sure. Some genetics are chubby...American Indian and Mestizo women for one but "chubby" and "send it to a livestock auction" are two entirely different items.
I had a buddy go to a gastrojew and, since he's Jewish, the doc handed him a diet recommended for post surgery......but with no surgery. He lost 100 # in a little over a year.He says is a pain in the ass to eat five or six times a day but he does it.
murkins just need to learn to eat again.

I think a whole lot of us eat ourt of habit rather than need.

How many of you eat at least three meals a day every day?

Our bodies are not designed for such a balanced and regularly rich diet, ya know?

Our bodies are designed such that we can go longer period of time without eating than ever four or fives hours three times a day.

That thrice daily eat plenty of food every meal diet plan is ideal but only for people who are working their asses off the rest of the day.

I think a whole lot of us eat ourt of habit rather than need.

How many of you eat at least three meals a day every day?

Our bodies are not designed for such a balanced and regularly rich diet, ya know?

Our bodies are designed such that we can go longer period of time without eating than ever four or fives hours three times a day.

That thrice daily eat plenty of food every meal diet plan is ideal but only for people who are working their asses off the rest of the day.
Hunter-gatherer. Eat as you go and take some home for the family.
People don't walk enough these years. Compare a high school yearbook of 2011 to one of 1970 or so.
They don't even appear to be the same species !

EXERCISE and diet programs are all but useless in helping obese people shed weight permanently, prompting calls from an Australian expert for more public hospitals to offer gastric surgery.

University of Melbourne professor of medicine Joseph Proietto said recent research showed that while obese people who made the effort could shed weight in the short term, after four to five years the lost weight was almost completely regained.

Far from being due to laziness, this appeared to be caused by hormonal changes as the body sought to return to what it considered its benchmark weight.

Comments?
Weight control is 80% diet, 20% exercise. If you didn't get fat with stomach surgery, why would you think you'd get slim with it? :confused: Not logical Captain!

Eliminate all breads, flour, cereals and all grains for one week and watch what happens.

Actually, I got slim with surgery, thanks. I spent several years trying every combination of diet and exercise I could, and while I was obscenely healthy from the standpoint of blood pressure, constitution, etc., my weight never budged and did a real number on my back and joints (not to mention my psychological state). I finally got gastric bypass surgery, and religiously followed the rules for learning to eat afterward. I lost nearly half of my body weight, and have kept it off for going-on seven years now.

I throw this thought out a bit tongue in cheek, have you ever seen a obese native? By native I mean primitive in the sense in which they live outside the modern world, jungles or remote places. If that is the case obesity is not biology but rather a consequence of the modern world. Evolution would favor those who can run and hide and climb, if our ancestors were obese they'd make good food but we'd be missing. And how about anorexia, explain that? ;)
Close, you're on the right track. Natives who live in the Jungle are eating wild animals, plants and fruits. They eat no chemicals or GMO food at all. No processed sugar, nothing deep fried.

They also have trouble finding enough food to sustain themselves. It's amazing how that prevents one from becoming obese.

I throw this thought out a bit tongue in cheek, have you ever seen a obese native? By native I mean primitive in the sense in which they live outside the modern world, jungles or remote places. If that is the case obesity is not biology but rather a consequence of the modern world. Evolution would favor those who can run and hide and climb, if our ancestors were obese they'd make good food but we'd be missing. And how about anorexia, explain that? ;)
Close, you're on the right track. Natives who live in the Jungle are eating wild animals, plants and fruits. They eat no chemicals or GMO food at all. No processed sugar, nothing deep fried.

They also have trouble finding enough food to sustain themselves. It's amazing how that prevents one from becoming obese.
Wanna bet ?

Comments?

christiefat2.jpg

If Romney becomes president and Chrispie becomes vice president, whose opinion will carry the most weight?

This is what I know. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. My Dad was overweight and so is my sister. I fight it all the time. I have to use great will power and just force myself to stick to a program. I like Weight Watchers. I eat tons of vegetables, espescially brocolli. <snip>

Wouldn't want to stand behind Koosh when, well,you know!
:eusa_shhh:
:redface:

I just saw this! No MeBelle, the brocolli does not have that effect on me. Nor do brussel sprouts or cauliflower, and I eat a lot of those, too.

I think it's because I get so much fiber. My gastrointestinal tract is very efficient and works very well. No gas. I never have gas.

In fact, I don't understand where that concept comes from. Do those vegetables give some people gas?

Exercise and diet might not help so much with weight loss but it isn't only about that. Exercise and a good diet are going to result in a healthier state of being physically, mentally, etc. Exercise is going to help maintain overall health, flexibility, cardio and so forth. So, that isn't the only thing to look at.
However, i think there are just some people who are going to be fat. We are all built differently. I don't know why we can't accept that. Some of us are chihuahuas and some are bulldogs. We dont' try to make a bulldog look like a chihuahua or vice versa. I think if we need more acceptance of that reality.

Exercise don't help depression...
:confused:
Exercise 'no help for depression', research suggests
5 June 2012 - At present, the NHS can refer patients for a course of supervised exercise sessions
Combining exercise with conventional treatments for depression does not improve recovery, research suggests. In the NHS-funded study - published in the British Medical Journal - some patients were given help to boost their activity levels in addition to receiving therapy or anti-depressants. After a year all 361 patients had fewer signs of depression, but there was no difference between the two groups. Current guidelines suggest sufferers do up to three exercise sessions a week. The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice) drew up that advice in 2004. At the time it said that on the basis of the research available, increased physical activity could help those with mild depression.

Physical benefits

The latest study, carried out by teams from the Universities of Bristol and Exeter, looked at how that might actually work in a real clinical setting. All 361 people taking part were given conventional treatments appropriate to their level of depression. But for eight months some in a randomly allocated group were also given up advice on up to 13 separate occasions on how to increase their level of activity. It was up to individual patients what activity they chose to increase and by how much. This approach produced good results in terms of encouraging people to do more over a sustained period of time - something which could have benefits to their general physical health.

But at the end of a year, researchers found no additional reduction in the symptoms of depression in the more active group. Prof John Campbell, from the Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry, which also took part in the study, said: "Many patients suffering from depression would prefer not to have to take traditional anti-depressant medication, preferring instead to consider alternative non-drug based forms of therapy. "Exercise and activity appeared to offer promise as one such treatment, but this carefully designed research study has shown that exercise does not appear to be effective in treating depression."

But he added that GPs were often faced with patients with a number of health problems for whom encouraging an active lifestyle might be of overall benefit. At present, the NHS can refer patients for a course of supervised exercise sessions as part of treatment for a number of illnesses, including depression. These findings are therefore likely to be taken into account when Nice next reviews its guidelines. The research was funded by the National Institute for Health Research, a government-backed programme.

BBC News - Exercise 'no help for depression', research suggests

Forum List

Back