Exercise and diet no use for obese

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
EXERCISE and diet programs are all but useless in helping obese people shed weight permanently, prompting calls from an Australian expert for more public hospitals to offer gastric surgery.

University of Melbourne professor of medicine Joseph Proietto said recent research showed that while obese people who made the effort could shed weight in the short term, after four to five years the lost weight was almost completely regained.

Far from being due to laziness, this appeared to be caused by hormonal changes as the body sought to return to what it considered its benchmark weight.

Uh oh. Bad news for the food nazis.

Comments?

I have watched so many people truly and seriously try to lose weight and fail miserably.

And a lot of them really didn't eat a whole lot, either. They seemed destined by genetics to get fat.

My sympathy to those of you who are prone to getting fat.

I cannot imagine what its like to have an appetite that is constantly enticing you to eat more food than your body needs.

Granny says looks like Uncle Ferd gonna have a wider selection o' fat girls to choose from...
:redface:
Half of U.S. adults will be obese by 2030, report says
Based on trends, half of the adults in the United States will be obese by 2030 unless the government makes changing the food environment a policy priority, according to a report released Thursday on the international obesity crisis in the British medical journal the Lancet.
Those changes include making healthful foods cheaper and less-healthful foods more expensive largely through tax strategies, the report said. Changes in the way foods are marketed would also be called for, among many other measures. A team of international public health experts argued that the global obesity crisis will continue to grow worse and add substantial burdens to health-care systems and economies unless governments, international agencies and other major institutions take action to monitor, prevent and control the problem.

Changes over the past century in the way food is made and marketed have contributed to the creation of an “obesogenic” environment in which personal willpower and efforts to maintain a healthful weight are largely impossible, the report noted. It also laid out a new way of calculating how many calories to cut to lose weight, giving what it said is a more accurate means of estimating projected weight loss over time.

The common weight-loss wisdom is that reducing calorie intake by about 500 calories a day “will result in slow and steady weight loss of about 0.5 kg (about a pound) per week.” That rule doesn’t take into account the way the body adapts to the change. In particular, as anyone who has actually lost weight can attest, the less you weigh, the fewer calories you can consume if you wish to lose more weight or maintain the loss. The report said that weight loss should be viewed over a longer period of time and proposed a new “approximate rule of thumb” for an average overweight adult. It said that “every change of energy intake of [about 24 calories] per day will lead to an eventual bodyweight change of about 1 kg (just over two pounds) . . . with half of the weight change being achieved in about 1 year and 95 percent of the weight change in about 3 years.”

Though the report acknowledged that it’s ultimately up to individuals to decide what to eat and how to live their lives, it maintained that governments have largely abdicated the responsibility for addressing obesity to individuals, the private sector, and nongovernmental organizations. Yet the obesity epidemic will not be reversed without government leadership, regulation, and investment in programs, monitoring, and research, it said. The report, issued in a four-part series published in the Lancet, was released in advance of the first high-level meeting of the United Nations General Assembly focused on noncommunicable disease prevention and control, which will take place in New York next month.

Source

We should expand the healthcare system in the US in order to be able to respond to the massive influx of people with a shorter left leg.

EXERCISE and diet programs are all but useless in helping obese people shed weight permanently, prompting calls from an Australian expert for more public hospitals to offer gastric surgery.

University of Melbourne professor of medicine Joseph Proietto said recent research showed that while obese people who made the effort could shed weight in the short term, after four to five years the lost weight was almost completely regained.

Far from being due to laziness, this appeared to be caused by hormonal changes as the body sought to return to what it considered its benchmark weight.

Comments?

So what will it be?

Food Nazis or Health Care covering Gastric Surgery for the obese?

Eating healthy, and still being fat. Or, eating anything you want and still being fat. Or getting gastric surgery and hope the fat stays off.

Seems like if this is true a lot of doctors who specialize in this will be making some BIG BUCKS in the future, unless obesity is going to become the 'norm' and nobody even cares what size they are anymore.

I have battled my weight my entire life. At 5'5" I weighed as much as 290. I've lost weight and gained it right back over the years many times. This last time around it has stuck and it has been a year going on two and I weigh 210. My son started with me and he has lost 102 so far and looks great. loosing weight is something you do your whole life and just like diabetics we must watch our weight constantly. Exercise and diet combined is how you have to live when you have a weight condition.

That being said I believe that there should be now way in Hell that anyone but they be responsible for themselves.

Comments?
University of Melbourne professor of medicine Joseph Proietto is either just trying to make a name for himself or an idiot. Or both. I'd like to see the specifics of this so-called study.

The people who are obese due to genetics ie "they can't really help it" are in the minority. And to say "exercise and diet no use for obese" is downright silly.

Interesting how so much of the focus is on diet and so little on exercise.

you can exercise till you die from exaustion, but, you will not loose the weight until you portion control and watch what you eat in calories.
KOONBLOW fell asleep on the beach ,and GREEN PEACE TRIED TO DRAG HIS FAT ASS BACK OUT TO SEA!!:razz::razz:

Last edited:
I have watched so many people truly and seriously try to lose weight and fail miserably.

And a lot of them really didn't eat a whole lot, either. They seemed destined by genetics to get fat.

I cannot imagine what its like to have an appetite that is constantly enticing you to eat more food than your body needs.

Yeah my ex was obese and claimed it was not her fault, but she ate 3X the volume of food that I did and got 1/10th the exercise.

Comments?
University of Melbourne professor of medicine Joseph Proietto is either just trying to make a name for himself or an idiot. Or both. I'd like to see the specifics of this so-called study.

The people who are obese due to genetics ie "they can't really help it" are in the minority. And to say "exercise and diet no use for obese" is downright silly.

Interesting how so much of the focus is on diet and so little on exercise.

I wonder how much the guy running the study weighed?

Yeah my ex was obese and claimed it was not her fault, but she ate 3X the volume of food that I did and got 1/10th the exercise.
when she went to a buffet did she take a tooth brush and a change of clothes ??:lol::lol:

Gastric surgery isn't a silver bullet either. The best approach is to try and help people to eat healthier and be more active before they get obese. In reality, when people reach a certain BMI, they can't shed the weight.

More work needs to be done in the hormonal component of weight gain as well.

when she went to a buffet did she take a tooth brush and a change of clothes ??:lol::lol:

No need she could shovel it in fast!

I think eating fast is one issue with obesity.

I think it's genetic. I think fat people don't have the ability to stop eating when they are full, and I think they crave more food than they need, and I think it's all genetic.

I know a woman who had gastric bypass surgery about a year ago, and yeah, she lost 50 lbs. But her ideal weight is about 50 lbs less. And she struggles every day...because she STILL wants to eat too much. The surgery doesn't help people who eat when they aren't hungry, and that is the majority of obese people.

Additionally, she works out like crazy...she walks every single day without fail and she walks long distances, fast, up hills. She doesn't eat bread to amount to anything (she can no longer digest it), and she doesn't eat much eat. She lives on mostly raw fruits and vegetables. And she's easily 50 lbs overweight, and can't seem to get past it.

I think it's criminal that doctors today prefer surgery for overweight patients, to medication that will reduce appetite. Nothing makes me more angry than a medical community that refuses to allow medications to be distributed in this country that are proven to control appetite. They prescribe anti depressants like they are going out of style, they love to push blood pressure meds (which really can kill you) and methadone (can also kill you and is addictive) and the drug they give alcoholics (can also kill you) but for God's sakes, don't let those fat women have access to pills that might result in weight loss! Those bitches are too stupid to make an intelligent decision to take a risk like that! Just look at them, they're FAT, aren't they?

By far the most obese people in America, are black and Hispanic.

In America blacks are dying from obesity and in Africa their dying from starvation, ain't that something?

I think it's genetic. I think fat people don't have the ability to stop eating when they are full, and I think they crave more food than they need, and I think it's all genetic.

I know a woman who had gastric bypass surgery about a year ago, and yeah, she lost 50 lbs. But her ideal weight is about 50 lbs less. And she struggles every day...because she STILL wants to eat too much. The surgery doesn't help people who eat when they aren't hungry, and that is the majority of obese people.

Additionally, she works out like crazy...she walks every single day without fail and she walks long distances, fast, up hills. She doesn't eat bread to amount to anything (she can no longer digest it), and she doesn't eat much eat. She lives on mostly raw fruits and vegetables. And she's easily 50 lbs overweight, and can't seem to get past it.

I think it's criminal that doctors today prefer surgery for overweight patients, to medication that will reduce appetite. Nothing makes me more angry than a medical community that refuses to allow medications to be distributed in this country that are proven to control appetite. They prescribe anti depressants like they are going out of style, they love to push blood pressure meds (which really can kill you) and methadone (can also kill you and is addictive) and the drug they give alcoholics (can also kill you) but for God's sakes, don't let those fat women have access to pills that might result in weight loss! Those bitches are too stupid to make an intelligent decision to take a risk like that! Just look at them, they're FAT, aren't they?

Yeah. Those stupid Doctors have absolutely no reason to be cautious about diet pills!

Fenfluramine/phentermine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the new weight loss drugs, what's a little bit of amphetamine among friends, huh?

Totally the same thing as antidepressants.

Forum List

Back