EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Dashcam video shows unarmed man being shot by PBSO deputy

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
EXCLUSIVE VIDEO Dashcam video shows unarmed man being shot by PBSO deputy - wptv.com

PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. - Exclusively-obtained dash-cam video shows Dontrell Stephens, 20, talking on a cellphone while riding his bike on a Friday morning in September 2013. He can be seen turning onto Norma Elaine Road near Haverhill Road and Okeechobee Boulevard as PBSO deputy Adams Lin trails him.

Moments later, Stephens realizes he’s being followed. He pulls over, gets off his bike with a cellphone in his right hand and walks toward the deputy.

For approximately four seconds Stephens is out of frame only to be seen again when being shot four times.

Stephens, who is black and has a criminal record for possessing cocaine, is seen running from the bullets then dropping to the ground.

Stephens was armed with nothing but a cellphone.

The video, exclusively obtained by WPTV NewsChannel 5 and The Palm Beach Post as part of a joint investigation into police shootings, was released as part of a federal wrongful death lawsuit filed against PBSO.

A short time later, an admittedly shaken Deputy Lin is heard talking to another deputy.

"He starts backing away," Lin explains. "I said, ‘Get on the ground, get on the ground.”

Then, the other deputy is heard saying, "I got your back man. I got your back. Hey, you hear me?”

Deputy Lin responds, “Yeah, I know.”

That day, Sheriff Ric Bradshaw went on TV to defend the shooting.

"Stop what you're doing and comply with us,” he told reporters. "There's nothing in the rules of engagement that says we have to put our lives in jeopardy to wait to find out what this is to get killed."

Lin was cleared to return to work four days later. Months later, investigators from the State Attorney's Office and PBSO ruled the shooting justified.

dontrell-stephens.jpg
Dontrell Stephens after he was shot in 2013.

West Palm Beach attorney Jack Scarola is suing the sheriff and the deputy on Stephens’ behalf. Scarola says he discovered issues with the deputy’s statements after requesting and viewing all the video and audio recordings from the incident.

"There are no records of any commands ever made to Dontrell Stephens," explained Scarola.

"The deputy's recorded statements following the shooting were absolutely false. Internal affairs completely ignored that evidence,” he said.

Today, Stephens is paralyzed from the waist down.

While Sheriff Bradshaw was on the record the day of Stephens’ shooting, he’s not talking about the case now. The Sheriff’s policy is to not comment on pending litigation.

Stephens' shooting reveals a pattern of problems with how deputy-involved shootings are investigated.

He gave the guy a whole 4 seconds to comply with orders never given and shot him 4 times in the back for running away.

And the day of the shooting they created the narrative that, you guessed it, the officer was scared (sound familiar)....but now that the video has been released they dont have anything to say....

Give it a few months...they'll either have a new story or they'll pay this family a couple mill that the Florida residents should be happy about their tax money being used to cover cops shooting unarmed people in the back.

Dashcams dont lie

Theres already a thread on this moron. Reposting it doesnt make it happen twice.

Wonder why cops are so jumpy lately....

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO Dashcam video shows unarmed man being shot by PBSO deputy - wptv.com

PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. - Exclusively-obtained dash-cam video shows Dontrell Stephens, 20, talking on a cellphone while riding his bike on a Friday morning in September 2013. He can be seen turning onto Norma Elaine Road near Haverhill Road and Okeechobee Boulevard as PBSO deputy Adams Lin trails him.

Moments later, Stephens realizes he’s being followed. He pulls over, gets off his bike with a cellphone in his right hand and walks toward the deputy.

For approximately four seconds Stephens is out of frame only to be seen again when being shot four times.

Stephens, who is black and has a criminal record for possessing cocaine, is seen running from the bullets then dropping to the ground.

The video, exclusively obtained by WPTV NewsChannel 5 and The Palm Beach Post as part of a joint investigation into police shootings, was released as part of a federal wrongful death lawsuit filed against PBSO.

A short time later, an admittedly shaken Deputy Lin is heard talking to another deputy.

"He starts backing away," Lin explains. "I said, ‘Get on the ground, get on the ground.”

Then, the other deputy is heard saying, "I got your back man. I got your back. Hey, you hear me?”

"Stop what you're doing and comply with us,” he told reporters. "There's nothing in the rules of engagement that says we have to put our lives in jeopardy to wait to find out what this is to get killed."

Lin was cleared to return to work four days later. Months later, investigators from the State Attorney's Office and PBSO ruled the shooting justified.

dontrell-stephens.jpg

West Palm Beach attorney Jack Scarola is suing the sheriff and the deputy on Stephens’ behalf. Scarola says he discovered issues with the deputy’s statements after requesting and viewing all the video and audio recordings from the incident.

"There are no records of any commands ever made to Dontrell Stephens," explained Scarola.

"The deputy's recorded statements following the shooting were absolutely false. Internal affairs completely ignored that evidence,” he said.

While Sheriff Bradshaw was on the record the day of Stephens’ shooting, he’s not talking about the case now. The Sheriff’s policy is to not comment on pending litigation.

Stephens' shooting reveals a pattern of problems with how deputy-involved shootings are investigated.

He gave the guy a whole 4 seconds to comply with orders never given and shot him 4 times in the back for running away.

And the day of the shooting they created the narrative that, you guessed it, the officer was scared (sound familiar)....but now that the video has been released they dont have anything to say....

Give it a few months...they'll either have a new story or they'll pay this family a couple mill that the Florida residents should be happy about their tax money being used to cover cops shooting unarmed people in the back.

Dashcams dont lie

The shooting of the criminal feral creature was justified.

Wheres the other thread on it?

Look it up yourself. I saw this story last night on usmb. Its 2 years old. The locals will handle it.

Well of course the locals will handle it....Once you hit play the video will stop also.

But its obvious you dont have anything but trolling to add because this is indefensible

So have at it...I want everyone to see how you handle facts when they are presented to you

Look it up yourself. I saw this story last night on usmb. Its 2 years old. The locals will handle it.

Well of course the locals will handle it....Once you hit play the video will stop also.

But its obvious you dont have anything but trolling to add because this is indefensible

So have at it...I want everyone to see how you handle facts when they are presented to you

What facts? I didnt see what happened when the officer and suspect were out of view of the camera. Give me all the facts and ill opine on it.

What facts?

there you go! You never disappoint!

What facts?

So eager to see a cop go to jail huh????? Thanks for proving you assholes still see the police as pigs.

dontrell-stephens.jpg

Dashcams dont lie

Just another example of the low-life POS that we have to contend with in America. COPS should be placed behind bars for life without parole until the message gets out that the public is NOT going to put up with this BS forever. Cops are without a doubt some of the lowest forms of humanity, if we can even call them human, which is difficult to do. Between the shootings, rapes, brutality, stealing, lying in court, covering for each other, writing BS quota tickets, and other offenses, COPS have proven their animalistic and barbaric mentality. It takes a sorry POS to put on a COP uniform.

What facts?

Why did you edit my response to exclude the second part.

You want my opinion on the incident and said you gave me the facts. Well...not all of them. What happened between them while they were off camera? Give me those facts...and ill gladly respond.

What facts?

So eager to see a cop go to jail huh????? Thanks for proving you assholes still see the police as pigs.

Keep going! This is great stuff!

What facts?

You want my opinion on the incident and said you gave me the facts. Well...not all of them. What happened between them while they were off camera? Give me those facts...and ill gladly respond.

What happened in that 4 seconds they were off camera you mean?

Well the cop says he told him to get down according to his report. The video tells you that is a lie.

Awaiting your response

What facts?

Well the cop says he told him to get down according to his report. The video tells you that is a lie.

Awaiting your response

But what HAPPENED? All of it. All you're offering is the cop appears to have not said get down. Ok. But what physically happened? Did the suspect..or officer...make any threatening movements? Was there any threat?

You either didnt research it enough...or...all facts arent out. I'll gladly comment...when you arent offering only partial facts.

In related news about waiting for the facts.....

The OTHER arrestee in the van in Baltimore. ...says the dead suspect was fine in the van...was kicking and thrashing around and BPD didnt do any harm to him.......hmmmmmm.

What facts?

Awaiting your response

But what HAPPENED? All of it. All you're offering is the cop appears to have not said get down. Ok.

So lying is neither here nor there now

But what physically happened? Did the suspect..or officer...make any threatening movements? Was there any threat?

Nothing, unless you dont believe the officers report and would like to question him further

You either didnt research it enough...or...all facts arent out. I'll gladly comment...when you arent offering only partial facts.

I guess you are waiting for someone to tell you the color of Gods eyes before making a judgement also.

The video is different than what the officer said occurred. No physical threat was made or reported by the officer.

Do you believe the officers report? Do you believe your eyes?

Do you see that the officer gave a false report? Why does this not matter to you?

In related news about waiting for the facts.....

The OTHER arrestee in the van in Baltimore. ...says the dead suspect was fine in the van...was kicking and thrashing around and BPD didnt do any harm to him.......hmmmmmm.

Look at all those links to back it up

What facts?

Awaiting your response

But what HAPPENED? All of it. All you're offering is the cop appears to have not said get down. Ok.

But what physically happened? Did the suspect..or officer...make any threatening movements? Was there any threat?

Nothing, unless you dont believe the officers report and would like to question him further

I guess you are waiting for someone to tell you the color of Gods eyes before making a judgement also.

The video is different than what the officer said occurred. No physical threat was made or reported by the officer.

Do you see that the officer gave a false report? Why does this not matter to you?

So the officers official report was "He posed no threat to me; So I shot him"?

If you give me that link...ill demand he be charged.

Awaiting your response

So the officers official report was "He posed no threat to me; So I shot him"?

If you give me that link...ill demand he be charged.

Forum List

Back