Everyone in the U.S. should be required to serve in the military.

There should be a draft again. And I mean for everyone. No college deferments or others. Females are equal now, right? People say, thank you for serving but they don't have a clue about what they are saying until they have been there. This should be at least two years and I don't mean reserves like "W" did during Nam days.
I guarantee that the U.S. will stop starting all the wars around the world. The pampered kids in this country will be forced to wake up and pay attention to what's going on around the world. It would enlighten and greate voters. Things would change because it would wake up the American public and give them something more important than weekends, boats, bar-b-ques, and tail-gating.
Can you imagine the entire American public getting an education beyond High School?
Anyone running for the Pres. and Commander In Chief should be required to have at least 6 years as an Officer in any branch especially in a combat role before being eligible.

If everyone was required to serve a two year enlistment, we would have a military of over 7 million. Considering many would stay longer, it would balloon to 15 million. There are currently about 3 million serving on active duty, reserves, national guard, and in civilian posts. So, how much do you suggest we increase military spending by? Hope everyone is ready for some hefty tax increases.

I understand the idea and it has some merit in theory, but in practicality it would be a horrible idea that is completely unworkable.

Very true. Instead why doesn't our gov't use its head for thinking. Lets start with the illegals here. Give them the choice to enjoy our nation by giving the choice to serve in our millitary for 4 years and the chance to become a citizen or go back to where they came from. Next...how about our over populated prisons. Give the ones with lighter sentences a choice to serve 4 years in the service to better themselves or stay in prison. And finally our welfare system. Let them know if they need and want welfare they have to earn it. Make them serve at least 2 years in the service in order to earn that money instead of just handing it over to them.

Since all the above is just a handout from the taxpayers...make them earn it instead of just giving it to them. Think about it.

There should be a draft again. And I mean for everyone. No college deferments or others. Females are equal now, right? People say, thank you for serving but they don't have a clue about what they are saying until they have been there. This should be at least two years and I don't mean reserves like "W" did during Nam days.
I guarantee that the U.S. will stop starting all the wars around the world. The pampered kids in this country will be forced to wake up and pay attention to what's going on around the world. It would enlighten and greate voters. Things would change because it would wake up the American public and give them something more important than weekends, boats, bar-b-ques, and tail-gating.
Can you imagine the entire American public getting an education beyond High School?
Anyone running for the Pres. and Commander In Chief should be required to have at least 6 years as an Officer in any branch especially in a combat role before being eligible.

If everyone was required to serve a two year enlistment, we would have a military of over 7 million. Considering many would stay longer, it would balloon to 15 million. There are currently about 3 million serving on active duty, reserves, national guard, and in civilian posts. So, how much do you suggest we increase military spending by? Hope everyone is ready for some hefty tax increases.

I understand the idea and it has some merit in theory, but in practicality it would be a horrible idea that is completely unworkable.

Damn you with your math and numbers!!! Okay...how about they all just have to go through Boot Camp? :D

Or how about we get a little stricter with our school policies. Make these students finish High School instead of dropping out so much. And let them know if they do want to drop out then its boot camp for them. Im sure alot more of them will finish school.

This is a very bad idea. America shouldn't force anyone to serve in the military. I have a 6 year old daughter. I don't want her forced to do anything the government demands.

I've said that many, many times on this site. Republicans are much less likely to go to war with their kids serving. Look at Mitt Romney. And it gives spoiled wealthy kids the opportunity to see what "real" Americans are like. It promotes racial and class interaction. And it's good for the country.

Would you care to define "Real Americans"?
Because from your usage of the term, it seems that successful people are not "Real Americans"

Not all Americans are white wing confederate conservatives teanuts. Does that help?

I've said that many, many times on this site. Republicans are much less likely to go to war with their kids serving. Look at Mitt Romney. And it gives spoiled wealthy kids the opportunity to see what "real" Americans are like. It promotes racial and class interaction. And it's good for the country.

Because from your usage of the term, it seems that successful people are not "Real Americans"

Not all Americans are white wing confederate conservatives teanuts. Does that help?

Not in the least.... Please stop trying to be evasive and answer the question.
So in your eyes, who are the real American?

I can see how some people could be critical of social functions such as tailgating. But I bet many of the people in this video that I shot before last week's Baltimore Ravens football game are military veterans or have close relatives in the military. Some of the people shown here may be soldiers on active duty who are home on leave.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOFIk9AyCgg]Pregame Tailgate Party Before Baltimore Ravens Football Game - YouTube[/ame]

This is a very bad idea. America shouldn't force anyone to serve in the military. I have a 6 year old daughter. I don't want her forced to do anything the government demands.

Amen to that.

The idea that we are obligated to "serve" the government like some serf is obligated to serve his lord is fundamentally fascist.

Everyone in the U.S. should be required to serve in the military.

Absolutely we need more trianed killers with PTSD and other mental problems.

From the DSM IV: By definition, PTSD always follows a traumatic event which causes intense fear and/or helplessness in an individual.* Typically the symptoms develop shortly after the event, but may take years.* The duration for symptoms is at least one month for this diagnosis.

This would include rape victims, abused children and women. Survivors of severe car crashes etc.
PTSD is not a psychiatric disease, like Schizophrenia.

The vast majority of those of us who served in Combat in Vietnam and suffer from PTSD went on to live very productive lives. A Team leader from A Vet described PTSD as a sane reaction to the insanity of war. It works for me.
The link below tells the true story about us. You need to educate yourself.
Statistics about the Vietnam War

Racist fuck.

I don't know the answer, but something must be done, we can't keep sending the same brave few who are willing into the shit over and over and over again.

What the answer is is above my pay grade.

The answer is Simple
Stop getting involved in wars like Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan.
The US needs to stop playing the World's Policeman.

You think that's simple? :rolleyes:

We are not "playing the world's policeman."

Last edited:
A draft would go over like a lead balloon and frankly its a poor idea. Is forcing those that dont want to serve a great idea? I dont think so. Our military is the strongest in the world and our weapons are second to none. THe military is doing just fine so whats the point?

When the shit get's so deep that Everyone matters, we will be way past the need for the Draft. There are all kinds of ways to do the right thing, without having to surrender who we are as Individuals.

I don't know the answer, but something must be done, we can't keep sending the same brave few who are willing into the shit over and over and over again.

The answer is Simple

You think that's simple? :rolleyes:

We are not "playing the world's policeman."

You are right, that would be alturistic; we are playing US Corporate muscle and mercenary,...more often than not, follow the money.

I think it would be excellent if we brought back the CCC and had mandatory service for all 18-year olds for one or two years in this service or the armed forces. Think of how much better our society would be. All segments of our society working together to improve our communities. The rich with the poor, the city kids with the country kids, all races, all classes. And we could provide them with educational opportunities and a jump start into their adulthood.

WE don't need a bigger military. We already have more military than we can use.

But, yes, we DO need infrastructure.

Obama did talk about this a while back. Wouldn't it be great if he's able to pull it off?

GObP/R would never let it happen though because it takes money out of the pockets of their owners, the 2%.

But you're in favor the the government forcing women to have babies and stopping people from marrying whom they wish.

You always say you believe in equal right for some but not others.

The answer is Simple

And, know when to get out of a country.

We bomb them to hell and then set up housekeeping for good. All because the 2% make a profit from the crooked contracts.

But you're in favor the the government forcing women to have babies .

Does the government "force" you to have a neighbor/family member/co-worker because it's illegal to kill them if you find them inconvenient?

Forum List

Back