EU-video on gender equality

The latest progress report 2009-2010 (published as full and conclusion report) says in this regard:

The overall legal framework guaranteeing women's rights and gender equality is broadly in place. However, further significant efforts are needed to turn the legal framework into reality and to narrow the gap between men and women in economic participation and opportunity, political empowerment, and access to education. Domestic violence, honour killings and early and forced marriages remain serious problems in some areas of the country. There is a need for further training and awareness-raising on women's rights and gender equality, for both men and women.
(...)
The establishment of a Parliamentary Commission on Equal Opportunities for Men and Women is a positive step.

http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/pdf/key_documents/2009/conclusions_on_turkey_en.pdf

The World's Youngest Women Billionaires
The World's Youngest Women Billionaires - Forbes.com

There are five 30-something female billionaires,
four of whom hail from Turkey.

Begumhan Dogan, 31
billiewomen_03.jpg

Serra Sabanci, 35
billiewomen_04.jpg

Hanzade Dogan Boyner, 36
billiewomen_05.jpg

Vuslat Dogan Sabanci, 37
billiewomen_06.jpg

German State Radio, Foreign Service -- Deutsche Welle

Women vanish from Turkey's working world
(...) A ban on headscarves may be part of it.

(...) Dilek Cindoglu, a professor of sociology at Ankara's Bilkent University, who carried out the first scientific study of the problem.
"Professional women in headscarves are discriminated against in the workplace," Cindoglu said. "Even a secretary in a small business must visit the public tax office occasionally or run errands to other government offices or to clients. Women in headscarves cannot go to all these places. So the public ban on headscarves definitely affects the private sector as well."
This "spillover effect," as she calls it, means that lawyers in headscarves cannot enter a courtroom, and journalists in headscarves are barred from parliament. Cindoglu found obstacles to women in headscarves in almost every profession, albeit to varying degrees. Her findings echo Nesluhan Akbulut's experience.
"Companies worry about their image," Akbulut said. "As a sociologist, I applied for a job as pollster in a polling company, but they told me they couldn't afford to send out an interviewer in a headscarf - it would prejudice the interviewees."

Better chances abroad
When professional women in headscarves are hired, they are often tucked away out of sight in back rooms and paid significantly less than men or bareheaded women, according to Professor Cindoglu's findings. That's something Akbulut is not prepared to accept any longer.
"I cannot work in my profession here," she said. "At best I can continue to work as a secretary, but that is not how I want to live my life. My husband and I have therefore decided to leave Turkey and live abroad."
Akbulut won't be alone in leaving the country. An estimated 5,000 to 6,000 young Turkish women are currently studying at universities abroad because they are barred from entering universities in their own country. Given their lack of professional prospects in Turkey, many never return.

Women vanish from Turkey's working world | Europe | Deutsche Welle | 09.07.2010

We have to reverse headscarf ban, so gender-equality is achieved and women with head-scarf contribute to Turkish economy rather to immigrate to USA and be under general suspicion for their Muslim being.

National Action Plan on Women Equality
It has some statistics in it, I will provide:

Media
21% of all news have subject about women. (22% TV, 21% newspaper, 17% Radio)
Of that 21% of total News covering women:
- 32.3 % were entertainment
- 17,4 % violence and crime

Only 9% of news about domestic violence are on 1st page of Newspapers.

Photographs of assaulted women were shown 16% more often then the attacker.

Female salaried employees in broadcasting media - 33.7 %

Advertising and Marketing business - 52.1 %

TV watching - 4.4 hours per day, mainly
- TV series -. 59 %
- news bulletins -- 18 %
- women programmes -- 6 %

Women in bureaucracy (State personel) - 17.9 %
Supreme Court - 29.9 %
Court of Accounts - 22.3 %
Constitutiuonal Court - 23.5 %
Registered lawyers at Turkish Bar Association - 33 %

Academic Staff (general) - 38.9 %
Professors - 27.1 %
Presidents of Universities - 5.3 %
Deans - 12.6 %

Ambassadors to foreign countries - 9 %
Dilpmatic Status of persons - Total 182, 42 of them women

Chairs of Trade Unions - Total 91, 28 of them women

It has much more then above, ranging to Food Security.
Action Plan implemeted till 2013:
http://www.ksgm.gov.tr/Pdf/NAP_GE.pdf

Forum List

Back