Employers are from Mars. Employees are from Venus

:rolleyes:

If she asked once and was told no and didn't quit she wasn't whining...which is how you presented your case.

There is nothing wrong with asking for more. I wonder if you'd think she was whining if she were a male?

She was whining because every chance she gets , she complains about working one 6 hour shift a month on a Saturday, THAT is whining.

Don't give me the feminist shit either ravi. i don't give a rats ass if the person is male female black white or green. I judge people on attitude, competency, and dependability and that's it.

You must be one of those ungrateful employees with shitty attitudes coming to the defense of one of your fellow aliens.
:lol: Nope, I'm a grateful boss.

Didn't mean to get your knickers in a twist but it is pretty common for people to be sexist in their attitudes...and men that ask for what they think they are worth usually aren't classified as whining.

If she does whine I'd replace her, too. That isn't how I read your OP...but you know best.

Well shit, asking for a raise and not to work Saturdays isn't exactly putting the screws to you. You said no and he or she didn't quit.

I hope you don't cry if your employees look at you cross-eyed.

BTW she didn't ask for a raise. she GOT a raise and a damn good one at that. She just thinks she's worth more than she really is. And have you ever heard that part time people get paid a higher hourly wage because they get no benefits?

And I thought we were in the worst economic times since the depression. And this alien is whining even though she has a part time job with retirement benefits because she has to work one 6 hour shift a month on a Saturday?

talk about out of touch

part time people are the ones that work nights and weekends so you can give your full time employees the best days off.

No one else, not even the doctors, piss and moan about working Saturdays because for working Saturday they get half a day off on weds and at least one three day weekend a month, sometimes two three day weekends a month if the rotation works out.

and anyone that says one 6 hour shift a month on Saturday is a "hardship" obviously doesn't know what real hardship is. as i said I'm pretty sure she'll be gone. We have a stack of resumes from people who actually want to work.

We treat our people very well and they all know it. they also know that no one is indispensable and that we do what's best for the business first. if that means showing someone the door, so be it. Our extremely low turnover rate is proof that we're on OK company to work for.

Maybe she is worth more. If she's working and her money is gone before the next paycheck, maybe you aren't paying her enough.

She is getting better than average pay for her position. i checked with the Bureau of labor statistics. And she's the one who begged for full time only to decide 4 months later that she didn't want full time. So whose fault is it if she's not making enough???

And are you saying that your fulltime people don't make $15 because they get benes?

No. her reasoning for being dissatisfied with her raise was that she should be paid a higher hourly wage than our full time people. And she is already one of our highest hourly wage employees.

And what are retirement benefits? What does that consist of for a part time employee?

We contribute to a retirement account for all our employees even if they don't.

We believe retirement savings are important and want to help our people save.

And working saturday sucks. Your spouse and kids are home and everyone is off having fun. Working saturdays sucks balls. I remember doing it. No fun at all. You can keep your Wednesdays.

it's a 6 hour shift and it could be a 5 hour shift if one hustled a little bit. And for that we give our people one to two three day weekends a month. jesus christ i used to have a job that was 10 hours a day Friday thru Monday, no holidays off and very few benefits and i was glad to have it. And this alien whines that she doesn't make enough but doesn't want to work any hours????

And you say I'm out of touch.

Your extremely low turnover only proves the economy sucks and people can't find better than what you are offering.

wrong. Our industry is really not feeling the recession that much. We're up over 20% compared to last year.

Last edited:
Skull, aren't you obligated by law to contribute to ALL of your employee's retirement accounts if you offer it to some?

Treating your employees like aliens can't be good for company morale...

While this person is out-of-touch, reminding him of the lines of people who want his job may be to both of your benefit. Unless you've already axed him, that is.

Okay, Just read all the pros and cons of being an employee of yours.

Where do I get an app? And if it gives me a hedge, you can forgo the retirement fund. I'll be working forever anyway now.
:udaman:

I'd take that job in a heartbeat. $16/hr on a regular basis is a hell of a lot more than I'm getting paid now, which is not fucking much since the pharama. industry has been laying off Sales Reps for quite awhile now. BTW, what the hell is a raise? Didn't think they existed anymore.

My buddy voted GOP because his boss told him the GOP would be good for his industry. Since then his pension has disappeared, his company has laid off people and a Japanese company bought them.

Now what do you mean you don't make $16 hr. Are you a phara rep? My buddy claims he makes $90 plus. He doesn't say it flat out, but he suggests it. Is he lying? Has he probably taken a pay cut in recent years?

Anyways, he voted for Bush in 2000 but voted Kerry in 2004 and Obama in 2008. His boss was dead wrong about the GOP being good to the phara industry. Oh sure they are great for the corporation and CEO's, but not for the workers.

And they like unemployment to be high so wages stay low. Now that they have broken unions and unions are taking concessions rather than the employer giving in to their demands, don't hold your breath waiting for a raise.

I think it was Greenspan. He said something like, "part of my job was keeping a certain level of unemployment because it keeps wages down".

I audit pharma sales reps. I don't get paid by the hour I get paid by the job. Paid well. When I work. But since the sales reps are getting laid off by the droves, I have no one to audit, so I don't make much now. No work, no money. At this point, $16/hr on a regular/steady basis sounds good to me. I have no idea what the sales reps make. I've been doing this for about 4 years. The first year or two I worked about 100-125 jobs/year. It's been dwindling the past two years. Last year I worked a mere 15 jobs.

16 bucks but you have to work alternate saturdays? You will see my resume in your mailbox!

(Looking for work right now, but I can't move away from PDX)

hmmm i work part time in the summer...damn its all weekend work...glad to have it...wished i was getting 16 bucks an hour but damn happy to get what i get...when i go back to work this winter...it wont change...i work holidays...etc...once the season starts we dont stop till the money stops coming in...when we are busy i dont get a lunch or bathroom break...ahh i would love those two 15 minute breaks a day..and high noon is the start of another session so we dont do lunch...the attitude where i work is....if you cant do the job and be there when needed ...move on...the only benefit i get is a paycheck

Well shit, asking for a raise and not to work Saturdays isn't exactly putting the screws to you. You said no and he or she didn't quit.

PUHLEASE

BTW she didn't ask for a raise. she GOT a raise and a damn good one at that. She just thinks she's worth more than she really is. And have you ever heard that part time people get paid a higher hourly wage because they get no benefits?

And I thought we were in the worst economic times since the depression. And this alien is whining even though she has a part time job with retirement benefits because she has to work one 6 hour shift a month on a Saturday?

talk about out of touch

part time people are the ones that work nights and weekends so you can give your full time employees the best days off.

No one else, not even the doctors, piss and moan about working Saturdays because for working Saturday they get half a day off on weds and at least one three day weekend a month, sometimes two three day weekends a month if the rotation works out.

and anyone that says one 6 hour shift a month on Saturday is a "hardship" obviously doesn't know what real hardship is. as i said I'm pretty sure she'll be gone. We have a stack of resumes from people who actually want to work.

We treat our people very well and they all know it. they also know that no one is indispensable and that we do what's best for the business first. if that means showing someone the door, so be it. Our extremely low turnover rate is proof that we're on OK company to work for.

Ok, a little middle ground, if I may? You sound like a nice boss, and I would be happy with $16.00 an hour at the moment. You say your employee does good work. Asking for a bigger raise isn't so bad, everyone wants more, but the erratic nature of the available hours...that could be disruptive. If they show up for Saturdays anyway? I would call it a wash. As for more money for no health bennies, that is done, but it isn't mandatory except under union contract. Some employers offer it. I will say that reliable part time employees are hard to keep, and the revolving door is expensive to maintain. I'm a full time employee who has trained multiple part-timers over the past year. Honestly, it sucks. Part time work is a transient job taken until someone finds something that will pay better. If you have someone who has proven reliable in the position, my advice is to keep them. If they've been with you for longer than others in the same position, treating them like they're supposed to live for the full timers won't wash either. Seniority applies to part time people too.

:rolleyes:

If she asked once and was told no and didn't quit she wasn't whining...which is how you presented your case.

There is nothing wrong with asking for more. I wonder if you'd think she was whining if she were a male?

She was whining because every chance she gets , she complains about working one 6 hour shift a month on a Saturday, THAT is whining.

Don't give me the feminist shit either ravi. i don't give a rats ass if the person is male female black white or green. I judge people on attitude, competency, and dependability and that's it.

You must be one of those ungrateful employees with shitty attitudes coming to the defense of one of your fellow aliens.
:lol: Nope, I'm a grateful boss.

Didn't mean to get your knickers in a twist but it is pretty common for people to be sexist in their attitudes...and men that ask for what they think they are worth usually aren't classified as whining.

If she does whine I'd replace her, too. That isn't how I read your OP...but you know best.

My father was a grateful boss. Paid his kids squat, but that's a different subject. He used to say that the people that worked for him put the food on our table. He'd take a loan out during the slow season so he wouldn't have to lay anyone off. Times sure have changed, and that's no reflection on the OP, really, just the general attitude of employers these days. They don't make them like my Dad anymore.

Skull, aren't you obligated by law to contribute to ALL of your employee's retirement accounts if you offer it to some?

not part time people if i don't want to.
huh...that's not what my accountant says. He claims if I get a statement from them that they don't want it I don't need to provide it. Otherwise, I do.

it depends on the plan. some plans only require you match if the employee contributes, some plans you are compelled to contribute for all employees making X dollars a year.

PUHLEASE

talk about out of touch

Ok, a little middle ground, if I may? You sound like a nice boss, and I would be happy with $16.00 an hour at the moment. You say your employee does good work. Asking for a bigger raise isn't so bad, everyone wants more, but the erratic nature of the available hours...that could be disruptive. If they show up for Saturdays anyway? I would call it a wash. As for more money for no health bennies, that is done, but it isn't mandatory except under union contract. Some employers offer it. I will say that reliable part time employees are hard to keep, and the revolving door is expensive to maintain. I'm a full time employee who has trained multiple part-timers over the past year. Honestly, it sucks. Part time work is a transient job taken until someone finds something that will pay better. If you have someone who has proven reliable in the position, my advice is to keep them. If they've been with you for longer than others in the same position, treating them like they're supposed to live for the full timers won't wash either. Seniority applies to part time people too.

she didn't merely ask politely for a bigger raise.

we told her what the raise was she sighed and said, "Oh, i was expecting more."

And seniority is not an issue as we've only been open for 2 years and she was the last hired.

IMO part time people are a pain in the ass. there is a lack of continuity in customer service and in basic procedures. I really would prefer to have all full time people.

I'd drop her ass back to one 6 hour day, until you find her replacement, then cut her down to "on call" status. :eusa_whistle:

well the interesting point is the sense of entitlement employees have

'bennies' are a pivitol point

potential hires view them as a qualifier for fruitful employment

i'm mostly targeting the health insurance , as retirement is really icing on the cake....

so just where did health care become the focal point of valid employment in this country?

what does HC have to do with your job anymore than car , house, or any other insurance?

how is it that a few generations of social engineering assumes an employer liability of astronomicaly exponential proportions is condusive to employment?

The day you put out a product and meet a payroll is the day you're opinion is worth two shits.

But it ain't today.

Oh, so now the right wingers realize the value of manufacturing? A little late, don't you think?

No wonder the GOP turned the US into a service economy. Now that we don't "put out a product", we don't mean shit.

I told you so. :lol:

McCain never put out a product or met a payroll yet you value his opinion.
Can't speak for "right-wingers" but I value production...Which includes service businesses.

But someone vegetating at his J.O.B., stealing his employer's time and resources no less, would know precious little about production.

Since it's unlikely I'll be able to get rid of a vegetating boss (too many heads up his ass), I've decided to make him see the wisdom of compensating the one who does his thinking for him. That would be me.

PUHLEASE

talk about out of touch

The part-timer, per the description given, feels HE is more valuable than the full-timers. You don't see anything flawed in that logic? How is it "reliable" to decide you will not conform to the rules everyone else plays by because "it just isn't convenient"?

PUHLEASE

talk about out of touch

The part-timer, per the description given, feels HE is more valuable than the full-timers. You don't see anything flawed in that logic? How is it "reliable" to decide you will not conform to the rules everyone else plays by because "it just isn't convenient"?

Exactly. The last person who worked for me with that attitude is now fighting her ass off to get unemployment. I don't see that in her future, either. :eusa_whistle:

Exactly. The last person who worked for me with that attitude is now fighting her ass off to get unemployment. I don't see that in her future, either. :eusa_whistle:

Doncha love those that have been discharged for cause who, somehow, expect unemployment benefits to result? :lol:

Forum List

Back