Employers are from Mars. Employees are from Venus

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
I swear I have an alien working for me.

The short version of the back story:

I have an employee that we took on one day a week to man the front desk. It worked well, this person was organized and competent. After a year, the spouse of said employee was not making any money as the business he/she was in dried up in the recession.

We took the one day a week person on full time. We needed the help and all worked well except there was a constant complaint about the 2 Saturdays a month that everyone has to work (a 6 hour shift from 8 AM to 2 PM). We basically said too bad, everyone works 2 saturdays but everyone also gets one weekend a month with Fri, Sat, Sunday or Sat Sun Monday off. Not a bad deal right?

So not 3 months after going full time said alien asks to go back to one day a week because the alien's spouse is getting more work. We said no if you can't work at least 16 hours a week we'll have to hire a full time person and let two part time people go. So now the alien works Mon (10 hrs) Thur (6 hrs) and one Sat a month.

So we sat down with the E.T. to do a review. We have no problem with this employees skills. and we informed said alien that it would be getting a 3.5% raise which made this alien our highest paid support person. And what did we get?

"Oh gee, I was hoping for a bigger raise. Part time people should be paid more because they get no benefits"

What? We bent over backwards for a year to accommodate this aliens schedule and it's not happy with a generous raise. Oh BTW we also match said aliens retirement contribution even though it is only a part time employee

And "I would really like to not work that one Saturday a month. It's such a hardship"

My question is, "What fucking planet are you from?"

So I think we'll start interviewing and send this alien back to whatever planet from which it spawned.

Last edited:

I have an employee that we took on one day a week to man the front desk. It worked well, this person was organized and competent. After a year, the spouse of said employee was not making any money as the business he/she was in dried up in the recession.

We took the one day a week person on full time. We needed the help and all worked well except there was a constant complaint about the 2 Saturdays a month that everyone has to work (a 6 hour shift from 8 AM to 2 PM). We basically said too bad, everyone works 2 saturdays but everyone also gets one weekend a month with Fri, Sat, Sunday or Sat Sun Monday off. Not a bad deal right?

So not 3 months after going full time said alien asks to go back to one day a week because the alien's spouse is getting more work. We said no if you can't work at least 16 hours a week we'll have to hire a full time person and let two part time people go. So now the alien works Mon (10 hrs) Thur (6 hrs) and one Sat a month.

So we sat down with the E.T. to do a review. We have no problem with this employees skills. and we informed said alien that it would be getting a 3.5% raise which made this alien our highest paid support person. And what did we get?

"Oh gee, I was hoping for a bigger raise. Part time people should be paid more because they get no benefits"

What? We bent over backwards for a year to accommodate this aliens schedule and it's not happy with a generous raise. Oh BTW we also match said aliens retirement contribution even though it is only a part time employee

And "I would really like to not work that one Saturday a month. It's such a hardship"

So I think we'll start interviewing and send this alien back to whatever planet it is from.

a. No one wants to work saturdays.

b. Sounds like a crappy factory job.

c. How much was he makiing and what was the raise? $10 hr?

So I think we'll start interviewing and send this alien back to whatever planet it is from.

BOO fucking hoo. I would work 2 6hour shifts on Saturday to get a three day weekend once a month

Actually no, it's a professional service job of a medical nature

No. It was a raise to $16 an hour for a part time front desk position with retirement benefits

Last edited:
Last edited:
I found over the years in business part time employees for a day or two a week are much harder to find than full time employees. Normally they are not vested in making their employer happy with their work like a full time employee will be.

...besides people who work at the millions of businesses that're open on Saturdays.

Wasn't so "crappy" that said employee asked to go on full time.

Obviously making enough to ask to be put back on part-time status.

Wasn't so good that he wanted to stay full time.

Yea, $16 an hour part time. He's rolling in dough. :lol:

Actually, not a bad gig to be honest.

Good job Skull. Maybe you aren't a complete asshole after all. JK.

The day you put out a product and meet a payroll is the day you're opinion is worth two shits.

But it ain't today.

Oh, so now the right wingers realize the value of manufacturing? A little late, don't you think?

No wonder the GOP turned the US into a service economy. Now that we don't "put out a product", we don't mean shit.

I told you so. :lol:

McCain never put out a product or met a payroll yet you value his opinion.

I'd take that job in a heartbeat. $16/hr on a regular basis is a hell of a lot more than I'm getting paid now, which is not fucking much since the pharama. industry has been laying off Sales Reps for quite awhile now. BTW, what the hell is a raise? Didn't think they existed anymore.

The day you put out a product and meet a payroll is the day you're opinion is worth two shits.

But it ain't today.

Oh, so now the right wingers realize the value of manufacturing? A little late, don't you think?

No wonder the GOP turned the US into a service economy. Now that we don't "put out a product", we don't mean shit.

I told you so. :lol:

McCain never put out a product or met a payroll yet you value his opinion.
Can't speak for "right-wingers" but I value production...Which includes service businesses.

But someone vegetating at his J.O.B., stealing his employer's time and resources no less, would know precious little about production.

Last edited:
Most likely whatever you did to please this employee wouldn't be enough. You were more than generous and fair. Help him/her clean out his/her desk and then help him/her load up their car. Find somebody that really wants a job and has just a little more loyality. $16.00 an hour is pretty good wages for my part of the country. Maybe I should think about coming out of retirement! Taking resumes?

Funny story. With unemployment ~10%, I'm sure you'll find an excellent replacement. Plus, you'll make an unemployed person really happy by providing them a job.

When employees can't or won't 'cut-it', I never think of them. I think of the unemployed person on the street who doesn't have a job because this 'alien' has their job.

Funny story. With unemployment ~10%, I'm sure you'll find an excellent replacement. Plus, you'll make an unemployed person really happy by providing them a job.

When employees can't or won't 'cut-it', I never think of them. I think of the unemployed person on the street who doesn't have a job because this 'alien' has their job.

the hard part is that my wife and I like this person a lot. And all in all his/her skill at the desk is top notch. it's the attitude of entitlement that really pisses me off.

but i do think we'll be hiring a full time person and let this particular alien blast off

Well shit, asking for a raise and not to work Saturdays isn't exactly putting the screws to you. You said no and he or she didn't quit.

I hope you don't cry if your employees look at you cross-eyed.

Well shit, asking for a raise and not to work Saturdays isn't exactly putting the screws to you. You said no and he or she didn't quit.

PUHLEASE

BTW she didn't ask for a raise. she GOT a raise and a damn good one at that. She just thinks she's worth more than she really is. And have you ever heard that part time people get paid a higher hourly wage because they get no benefits?

And I thought we were in the worst economic times since the depression. And this alien is whining even though she has a part time job with retirement benefits because she has to work one 6 hour shift a month on a Saturday?

talk about out of touch

part time people are the ones that work nights and weekends so you can give your full time employees the best days off.

No one else, not even the doctors, piss and moan about working Saturdays because for working Saturday they get half a day off on weds and at least one three day weekend a month, sometimes two three day weekends a month if the rotation works out.

and anyone that says one 6 hour shift a month on Saturday is a "hardship" obviously doesn't know what real hardship is. as i said I'm pretty sure she'll be gone. We have a stack of resumes from people who actually want to work.

We treat our people very well and they all know it. they also know that no one is indispensable and that we do what's best for the business first. if that means showing someone the door, so be it. Our extremely low turnover rate is proof that we're on OK company to work for.

:rolleyes:

If she asked once and was told no and didn't quit she wasn't whining...which is how you presented your case.

There is nothing wrong with asking for more. I wonder if you'd think she was whining if she were a male?

I'd take that job in a heartbeat. $16/hr on a regular basis is a hell of a lot more than I'm getting paid now, which is not fucking much since the pharama. industry has been laying off Sales Reps for quite awhile now. BTW, what the hell is a raise? Didn't think they existed anymore.

My buddy voted GOP because his boss told him the GOP would be good for his industry. Since then his pension has disappeared, his company has laid off people and a Japanese company bought them.

Now what do you mean you don't make $16 hr. Are you a phara rep? My buddy claims he makes $90 plus. He doesn't say it flat out, but he suggests it. Is he lying? Has he probably taken a pay cut in recent years?

Anyways, he voted for Bush in 2000 but voted Kerry in 2004 and Obama in 2008. His boss was dead wrong about the GOP being good to the phara industry. Oh sure they are great for the corporation and CEO's, but not for the workers.

And they like unemployment to be high so wages stay low. Now that they have broken unions and unions are taking concessions rather than the employer giving in to their demands, don't hold your breath waiting for a raise.

I think it was Greenspan. He said something like, "part of my job was keeping a certain level of unemployment because it keeps wages down".

BTW she didn't ask for a raise. she GOT a raise and a damn good one at that. She just thinks she's worth more than she really is. And have you ever heard that part time people get paid a higher hourly wage because they get no benefits?

And I thought we were in the worst economic times since the depression. And this alien is whining even though she has a part time job with retirement benefits because she has to work one 6 hour shift a month on a Saturday?

talk about out of touch

part time people are the ones that work nights and weekends so you can give your full time employees the best days off.

No one else, not even the doctors, piss and moan about working Saturdays because for working Saturday they get half a day off on weds and at least one three day weekend a month, sometimes two three day weekends a month if the rotation works out.

and anyone that says one 6 hour shift a month on Saturday is a "hardship" obviously doesn't know what real hardship is. as i said I'm pretty sure she'll be gone. We have a stack of resumes from people who actually want to work.

We treat our people very well and they all know it. they also know that no one is indispensable and that we do what's best for the business first. if that means showing someone the door, so be it. Our extremely low turnover rate is proof that we're on OK company to work for.

Maybe she is worth more. If she's working and her money is gone before the next paycheck, maybe you aren't paying her enough.

And are you saying that your fulltime people don't make $15 because they get benes?

And what are retirement benefits? What does that consist of for a part time employee?

And working saturday sucks. Your spouse and kids are home and everyone is off having fun. Working saturdays sucks balls. I remember doing it. No fun at all. You can keep your Wednesdays.

Your extremely low turnover only proves the economy sucks and people can't find better than what you are offering.

:rolleyes:

If she asked once and was told no and didn't quit she wasn't whining...which is how you presented your case.

There is nothing wrong with asking for more. I wonder if you'd think she was whining if she were a male?

She was whining because every chance she gets , she complains about working one 6 hour shift a month on a Saturday, THAT is whining.

Don't give me the feminist shit either ravi. i don't give a rats ass if the person is male female black white or green. I judge people on attitude, competency, and dependability and that's it.

You must be one of those ungrateful employees with shitty attitudes coming to the defense of one of your fellow aliens.

Forum List

Back