employees are owners bitches

I'm not looking for anyone to cater to my needs. My first 8 years with this company were great. The last six, and especially the last 4 have been total hell. If there was anywhere else I could go I would have. I don't have any other options.

What changed the last 6?

What changed the last 6?

Seven years ago, our absentee ownership brought in a totally new upper manangement team. That team was lead by a group of individuals who had failed massively at their last two companies.... one a gas/electric utility company on the US West Coast that they nearly ran into bankrupcy and the one before that a major corporation that we would all know, if I used the company name due to its public implosion and criminal proceedings.

They proceeded to try and implement the exact same failed policies here, even after everyone in the company and two outside consultants told them to do the exact opposite. This lead to..... three different Management departments Unionizing to protect ourselves. A reduction in the non-Union workforce of 25%, even though they cannot run the company effectively while that streamlined, a centralizing program that has now had to be reversed in almost every department. The loss of many/most of the qualified senior employees due to new policies, $15 million, $25 million, $6.8 million, and $12 million fines by regulatory agencies for failing to implement appropriate policies, be properly prepared for storms, and not paying employees properly. The company had to get a 30 day extension on sending out our tax info in 2013 because their new accounting program was so screwed up.

Customer satisfaction is an an all-time low; as is employee morale, customer confidence, and regulator confidence. There is zero trust in the Company by the Union; especially when it comes to financial issues.

I've also got a whole slew of issues in the department I work in, but I figured the wide view would provide you with sufficient info.

saveliberty, 'gas is your kind of guy.

Employees who hate their company have ways of hurting the company terribly.

I am surprised owners who treat their employees like crap actually stay in business.

I like having quality employees capable of doing the job and being reliable. I could never afford to waste time training new people every month because I pissed the others off.

Add the fact that the employees I want will certainly get offers elsewhere and if I don't take care of them ... Provide them with the tools and opportunities to excel ... And promote or reward them when earned ... They will be gone.

Last edited:
We used to fight a family who owned bookstores in Nacogdoches and served as may and council member and did a lot of trade with the Uni.

She also sat as a member of a private school board, and we used to fight here every year on appropriate remuneration for the teachers. That woman would whine like a baby every year at the Ch of Comm when we would increase our employees' wages.

We used to fight a family who owned bookstores in Nacogdoches and served as may and council member and did a lot of trade with the Uni.

She also sat as a member of a private school board, and we used to fight here every year on appropriate remuneration for the teachers. That woman would whine like a baby every year at the Ch of Comm when we would increase our employees' wages.

Lol ... People are people and I don't really cut employees a lot of slack either.

The best employees I have ever had never asked me how much they were going to be paid. They asked me where working for me would take them and how they could advance my business needs and their careers at the same time. In those cases I offered them a salary, bonus and benefits package they were comfortable with before they could ask.

The best employees I have ever had never asked me how much they were going to be paid. They asked me where working for me would take them and how they could advance my business needs and their careers at the same time. In those cases I offered them a salary, bonus and benefits package they were comfortable with before they could ask.

Sorry, I don't trust ANYONE on this planet sufficiently to not have a defined work contract, including responsibilities, compensation, benefits, etc... If it's not in writing it doesn't exist so far as I'm concerned. Hell, I get notarazid letters with details from family members who borrow tools, money, etc...

Sorry, I don't trust ANYONE on this planet sufficiently to not have a defined work contract, including responsibilities, compensation, benefits, etc... If it's not in writing it doesn't exist so far as I'm concerned. Hell, I get notarazid letters with details from family members who borrow tools, money, etc...

See that is the difference in owning a business and having an employer. Owning a business I have the authority to offer an employee what I think they are worth ... And my desire is to have quality employees who are as interested in ensuring the job I require is satisfied as they are in getting paid ... That is paramount.

When an employee shows initiative in both regards ... Then they are rewarded with a job that will fulfill their desires and my needs. That is how a business should work ... The business you conduct is how you get paid.

On a side note ... When anyone comes to an interview with me ... Then sits down wanting to discuss payroll and benefits before I determine if they are suitable for consideration in accomplishing the job I require of them ... It doesn't matter how long the interview goes, they are not getting the job. I am not in the business of giving them money to tell me what they want to get paid.

Last edited:
See that is the difference in owning a business and having an employer. Owning a business I have the authority to offer an employee what I think they are worth ... And my desire is to have quality employees who are as interested in ensuring the job I require is satisfied as they are in getting paid ... That is paramount.

Which is why we would not be a good fit as employer and employee. My interest is in doing my job and going home at the end of the day. While I'm at work, I will do everything possible to get the work done within the system and with the tools the employer provides. It is not MY responsibility to ensure that I have the proper tools and systems.... that's the employer's job.

When an employee shows initiative in both regards ... Then they are rewarded with a job that will fulfill their desires and my needs. That is how a business should work ... The business you conduct is how you get paid.

I'm not interested in "initiative" or "advancement". Tell me what the job is and if I'm interested I'll take it on. If not, I'll move on. Plain and simple.

On a side note ... When anyone comes to an interview with me ... Then sits down wanting to discuss payroll and benefits before I determine if they are suitable for consideration in accomplishing the job I require of them ... It doesn't matter how long the interview goes, they are not getting the job. I am not in the business of giving them money to tell me what they want to get paid.

I never discuss wages or benefits until I have an offer in my hand from an employer. However, I am more than willing to turn down an offer if it's obvious that an employer is low-balling me and is not interested in negotiating. As a Union Steward, I ensure that every offer that goes out from this company to a potential employee in this department has a Contract Book in it, to ensure those potential employees understand what their wages, working conditions, and contractual obligations would be, should they choose to take the job.

I'm sure that you expect everyone to act in their own self interest, correct? You need to hire people that are "hireable"--that is, they have the social skills that are necessary to work in an organization, and do so effectively. You will need to pay for those skills, and they may well mention that fact. In the current recessionary environment, employers have been used to having the upper hand and doing whatever they wanted in interviews. Don't get too used to it, though.

The boss makes believe he pays me I make believe I work. He knows I want to get ahead and he will either keep me or lose me to another place that will give me what I want. I am qualified, reliable and work hard. The only time I fuck off is when I see the opportunity to do so and then I hit the books to get better qualified. I like the guy and when I was interviewed he asked where I see myself in 5 years, I told him, "I see myself sitting in your chair".

I would not want to have anyone other owner or boss.

Which is why we would not be a good fit as employer and employee. My interest is in doing my job and going home at the end of the day. While I'm at work, I will do everything possible to get the work done within the system and with the tools the employer provides. It is not MY responsibility to ensure that I have the proper tools and systems.... that's the employer's job.

That is an easy fix ... As far as fit is concerned.

If your interest is doing what you think your job is and going home when you think you should ... Then I would not have a use for you. I don't abuse employees because I want to keep them ... But they don't tell me what their job is. If the job requires overtime ... They are compensated as agreed. If they don't do that work ... They won't keep their job. My responsibility is to keep those issues in check and avoid overburdening my staff.

Furthermore ... People who work for me with the misconception that I don't expect them to excel and take initiative in developing new and proactive ways to improve their performance and the services I offer ... Shouldn't be surprised when they are not promoted, and when any annual pay increase or possible bonus suffers. I will be looking for a replacement ... And they will soon be gone

An employee that thinks they need to explain to me what my responsibilities are (unless of course that is what pay them to do) ... Will be thrown out the door before they finish talking.

I observe what issues need addressing ... I provide my employees with the tools they require and I am open to suggestions on new equipment and tools. I consider continuous improvement a necessity and look at off-site training and certification as a tool when necessary. Still, the employee will meet my requirements not whatever they decide they are going to do.

I'm not interested in "initiative" or "advancement". Tell me what the job is and if I'm interested I'll take it on. If not, I'll move on. Plain and simple.

That is why some employers (including myself) would have no use for you. An employee who lacks initiative and ambition would truly be happy working for someone else. Personally ... I nor my employees have ever set the minimum as an acceptable goal.

II never discuss wages or benefits until I have an offer in my hand from an employer. However, I am more than willing to turn down an offer if it's obvious that an employer is low-balling me and is not interested in negotiating. As a Union Steward, I ensure that every offer that goes out from this company to a potential employee in this department has a Contract Book in it, to ensure those potential employees understand what their wages, working conditions, and contractual obligations would be, should they choose to take the job.

When I offer my hand to an employee ... I hope they are as encouraged as I am regarding their ability to reach the peak of productivity and quality excellence. If they don't think they can do the job and advance their skills or my services ... Then I can only regret that I have mistakenly allowed them to waste our time.

Luckily I have no need for Union employees ... And if I did, I would still have to run a non-union shop. I have policies that do not reward everyone equally based on an arbitrary designation of compliance, equality or fairness.

For Instance ...

At the end of each calendar year I conduct Performance Appraisals with all of my employees. I try to do it in conjunction with issuing their annual bonuses. During the appraisal we discuss around 25 areas of concern ("initiative" and "excellence" are two of those areas). The employ is encouraged to discuss my findings and how they view my appraisal. If I do not rate an employee with the highest possible score in any area ... I ask for their ideas and also provide them with options for improvement.

Areas of conflict between myself and the employee are settled. At the conclusion of the appraisal I list 3 new initiatives the employee needs to accomplish during the next calendar year ... And they are graded on how well they addressed the previous year's initiatives. The employee then signs the appraisal and agrees to the terms.

Every year I increase my overall payroll 4.9%-5.6% depending on profit margin. That does not mean every employee gets the same percent annual raise. Their annual raise is directly tied to their Performance Appraisal ... And some employees may get a 7% raise while others may get a 2% raise.

Each employee's salary is determined by what I think they should be paid. The only difference in my operations and many others is that I actively want to hire and keep quality employees with great expectations and want to reach the top ... Screw the minimum.

Edit:
Luckily my employees are awesome and I am done for the fricken year!

It is awesome when I don't have to spend up to 3 hours with each employee because 85% of them score "outstanding" in most categories. Give them more money and we are both happy.

Last edited:
Any owner who does not listen employee suggestion will not do as well as he could otherwise.

Flat fact.

On the other hand, you will have the knowledge that only yourself will be responsible for your success or failure.

I would hire Anetham before BS.

Any owner who does not listen employee suggestion will not do as well as he could otherwise.

Flat fact.

On the other hand, you will have the knowledge that only yourself will be responsible for your success or failure.

Of course you have to listen to your employees and address concerns ... You also need the ability to anticipate or identify issues before they ever get to a point of conflict.

You are correct in not wanting to hire me ... Anetham would make a better puppet and I have no desire to stop searching for more than the status quo. People who cannot meet those expectations will be available to work for you.

I have to admit that I flat out stole a quarter of my current staff from employers who thought they knew what they were doing and their employees were happy.

Flat fact.

Of course you have to listen to your employees and address concerns ... You also need the ability to anticipate or identify issues before they ever get to a point of conflict.

You are correct in not wanting to hire me ... Anetham would make a better puppet and I have no desire to stop searching for more than the status quo. People who cannot meet those expectations will be available to work for you.

I have to admit that I flat out stole a quarter of my current staff from employers who thought they knew what they were doing and their employees were happy.

Gotta stay hungry to keep the competition from taking over.

What changed the last 6?

Seven years ago, our absentee ownership brought in a totally new upper manangement team. That team was lead by a group of individuals who had failed massively at their last two companies.... one a gas/electric utility company on the US West Coast that they nearly ran into bankrupcy and the one before that a major corporation that we would all know, if I used the company name due to its public implosion and criminal proceedings.

They proceeded to try and implement the exact same failed policies here, even after everyone in the company and two outside consultants told them to do the exact opposite. This lead to..... three different Management departments Unionizing to protect ourselves. A reduction in the non-Union workforce of 25%, even though they cannot run the company effectively while that streamlined, a centralizing program that has now had to be reversed in almost every department. The loss of many/most of the qualified senior employees due to new policies, $15 million, $25 million, $6.8 million, and $12 million fines by regulatory agencies for failing to implement appropriate policies, be properly prepared for storms, and not paying employees properly. The company had to get a 30 day extension on sending out our tax info in 2013 because their new accounting program was so screwed up.

Customer satisfaction is an an all-time low; as is employee morale, customer confidence, and regulator confidence. There is zero trust in the Company by the Union; especially when it comes to financial issues.

I've also got a whole slew of issues in the department I work in, but I figured the wide view would provide you with sufficient info.

Union busting.......

If your interest is doing what you think your job is and going home when you think you should ... Then I would not have a use for you. I don't abuse employees because I want to keep them ... But they don't tell me what their job is. If the job requires overtime ... They are compensated as agreed. If they don't do that work ... They won't keep their job.

My interest is in doing what I'm contractually obligated to do, in return for what I'm contractually obligated to receive. Nothing more. I've been a contractor, a management employee and a union employee. There is no way on Earth that I would ever work without a contract again. I've been bent over by employers too many times before to even consider working without a mutually agreed upon contract.

Furthermore ... People who work for me with the misconception that I don't expect them to excel and take initiative in developing new and proactive ways to improve their performance and the services I offer ... Shouldn't be surprised when they are not promoted, and when any annual pay increase or possible bonus suffers. I will be looking for a replacement ... And they will soon be gone.

Again, I work within the contract. I'm not guaranteed to get anything more for putting in extra effort, so I don't. I have no interest in being the guy who goes above and beyond. I've tried that in the past and all it's gotten me is a sore back, no sleep, and no compensation. NEVER AGAIN..

I observe what issues need addressing ... I provide my employees with the tools they require and I am open to suggestions on new equipment and tools. I consider continuous improvement a necessity and look at off-site training and certification as a tool when necessary. Still, the employee will meet my requirements not whatever they decide they are going to do.

If that is so, and I have no reason to doubt it, then you're light years ahead of my employers, both current and former. In fact where I am now, seeking out better ways to do things is actively discouraged by the Company; because they won't be implemented as that would cost money and potentially change their "system".

That is why some employers (including myself) would have no use for you. An employee who lacks initiative and ambition would truly be happy working for someone else. Personally ... I nor my employees have ever set the minimum as an acceptable goal.

The minimum is all I can guearantee I get paid for, so it's all I'm doing. Sorry, but I've already wasted too much of my life doing things I didn't get compensated for.

When I offer my hand to an employee ... I hope they are as encouraged as I am regarding their ability to reach the peak of productivity and quality excellence. If they don't think they can do the job and advance their skills or my services ... Then I can only regret that I have mistakenly allowed them to waste our time.

Which, as we've agreed, is why I wouldn't work for you and why you wouldn't hire me.

Luckily I have no need for Union employees ... And if I did, I would still have to run a non-union shop. I have policies that do not reward everyone equally based on an arbitrary designation of compliance, equality or fairness
In the company I work for that's not possible. In this situation you could not have Union and non-union employees doing the same work. Different states offer different views on that, however.

At the end of each calendar year I conduct Performance Appraisals with all of my employees. I try to do it in conjunction with issuing their annual bonuses. During the appraisal we discuss around 25 areas of concern ("initiative" and "excellence" are two of those areas). The employ is encouraged to discuss my findings and how they view my appraisal. If I do not rate an employee with the highest possible score in any area ... I ask for their ideas and also provide them with options for improvement. (shortened to conserve space)

.........Each employee's salary is determined by what I think they should be paid. The only difference in my operations and many others is that I actively want to hire and keep quality employees with great expectations and want to reach the top ... Screw the minimum.

I learned the hard way to NEVER agree to that sort of performance review system. All it can do is end up messing with the employee in the end. There is no positive to that for the employee. Nice for you that you've got employees who will though.

If your interest is doing what you think your job is and going home when you think you should ... Then I would not have a use for you. I don't abuse employees because I want to keep them ... But they don't tell me what their job is. If the job requires overtime ... They are compensated as agreed. If they don't do that work ... They won't keep their job.

My interest is in doing what I'm contractually obligated to do, in return for what I'm contractually obligated to receive. Nothing more. I've been a contractor, a management employee and a union employee. There is no way on Earth that I would ever work without a contract again. I've been bent over by employers too many times before to even consider working without a mutually agreed upon contract.

Furthermore ... People who work for me with the misconception that I don't expect them to excel and take initiative in developing new and proactive ways to improve their performance and the services I offer ... Shouldn't be surprised when they are not promoted, and when any annual pay increase or possible bonus suffers. I will be looking for a replacement ... And they will soon be gone.

Again, I work within the contract. I'm not guaranteed to get anything more for putting in extra effort, so I don't. I have no interest in being the guy who goes above and beyond. I've tried that in the past and all it's gotten me is a sore back, no sleep, and no compensation. NEVER AGAIN..

If that is so, and I have no reason to doubt it, then you're light years ahead of my employers, both current and former. In fact where I am now, seeking out better ways to do things is actively discouraged by the Company; because they won't be implemented as that would cost money and potentially change their "system".

The minimum is all I can guearantee I get paid for, so it's all I'm doing. Sorry, but I've already wasted too much of my life doing things I didn't get compensated for.

Which, as we've agreed, is why I wouldn't work for you and why you wouldn't hire me.

Luckily I have no need for Union employees ... And if I did, I would still have to run a non-union shop. I have policies that do not reward everyone equally based on an arbitrary designation of compliance, equality or fairness
In the company I work for that's not possible. In this situation you could not have Union and non-union employees doing the same work. Different states offer different views on that, however.

At the end of each calendar year I conduct Performance Appraisals with all of my employees. I try to do it in conjunction with issuing their annual bonuses. During the appraisal we discuss around 25 areas of concern ("initiative" and "excellence" are two of those areas). The employ is encouraged to discuss my findings and how they view my appraisal. If I do not rate an employee with the highest possible score in any area ... I ask for their ideas and also provide them with options for improvement. (shortened to conserve space)

.........Each employee's salary is determined by what I think they should be paid. The only difference in my operations and many others is that I actively want to hire and keep quality employees with great expectations and want to reach the top ... Screw the minimum.

I learned the hard way to NEVER agree to that sort of performance review system. All it can do is end up messing with the employee in the end. There is no positive to that for the employee. Nice for you that you've got employees who will though.

Hey I think I should also add a comment in fairness to your position.

My business operations include skilled labor for specific tasks. The employees are hired to complete those tasks. The expectation to improve their processes and my services is within an appropriate scope of those defined duties. It wouldn't do me any good to run off quality employees.

I am also probably dealing with an overall smaller staff ... I have less than 50 employees. Competition in that market is high and there are plenty of employers offering less obligation for similar services.

My operations strictly compete on my ability to keep the products and services at a higher quality than the status quo ... And they are not a product of mass production or bargain shopping.

It certainly would not work in every business model ... And it is specifically designed to get what I need out if my employees. They are usually thankful to have opportunity and we grow together. In my business I never made a dime doing what other people do ... And those expectations are the key to the difference that allows me to compete.

In seven years I lost 2 employees (they had issues in life that needed to be addressed) and fired 3 (two were simply unable to fit the structure and one was charged with theft) ... I think it is a pretty good record.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back