Elementary school shooting

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Luddly Neddite, Dec 14, 2012.

1. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,183
    The sort of mind is called 'modern liberal' and yes, they want everyones childeren to be at the mercy of wackos and criminals.

2. gr8feelings

gr8feelings Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Teachers carrying consealed weapons would be an enormous detterant. Pay them for their extra duty same as the football coach is for coaching. If only 50% in a 50 teacher school carried a small 38 Special, 5 shot capacity, in seconds, any "shooter" would be face to face with 40 to 75 rounds of potent, lethal, potential gun fire. Case Closed....No more shooter threats...SO MORE GUNS IS THE ANSWER, NOT LESS.

3. wavingrl

wavingrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +197
    I have yet to think of where these guns would be stored until needed in a school environment.

The risk of weapons being used by students seems to overshadow the potential effectiveness of arming teachers.

4. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,512
    Where do I store my concealed weapon while walking down the street? While shopping (in the places that don't stop you from carrying). Same place i would as a school teacher.....

5. wavingrl

wavingrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +197
    ok.

I still imagine some problems with that.

ie--
    -What type of weapons retention training has been provided to staff who are armed and what steps have been taken to reduce risks of a teacher or staff member being intentionally disarmed by a student or other person, or for having a firearm dislodged from a staff member's control when the teacher breaks up a fight in a cafeteria or hallway?

-How is the district prepared to prevent and manage situations where teachers and/or staff members lose, misplace, or have stolen their firearms while on campus?

-How will the school district manage an accidental shooting that could occur?

-What is the impact of this type of board policy and practice on the school district's insurance and potential legal liability posture? If self-insured, is the district able to handle potential lawsuit judgments against them for cases resulting from this practice? If insured by a private carrier, what is the insurance provider's position and concerns, or will they even insure the district for such a practice?

It is neither here nor there. I basically do not think it would be a good idea to arm teachers.

The middle school in Atlanta where a student shot another student had two metal detectors which weren't working at the time. I think a good first step would be for each and every school system to review current security measures and be certain that everything is functioning properly. Strangely enough after it was reported that the metal detectors weren't working and would be repaired nothing more has been reported about that incident. I would have thought that the school system would have been sanctioned in some way for not paying closer attention to the security needs.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  6. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,512
    Basic and simple, we do not arm any teacher. However we allow for a teacher who has a concealed carry permit to carry on the school grounds if they so desire.

No one will ever know if a teacher or if any teacher is carrying.......

7. wavingrl

wavingrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +197
    I don't pretend to possess expertise of knowledge of guns and all related topics.

'Concealed Weapon', to me that means you are 'armed'.

If you are on school property with a weapon there is a chance that the weapon can be taken from you. All sorts of complex issues could then arise.

8. jtpr312

jtpr312 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Stored? Nobody is saying anything about "storing" firearms at school, though they used to be stored there for the various rifle teams throughout the nation, though some rifle teams, like many in NYC, had the students take their rifles back adn forth on the subway. They are proposing that teachers CARRY a weapon at school if they choose to. On their person, not "stored".

9. jtpr312

jtpr312 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Not much on reading comprehension or vocabulary either are you? Try re-reading his post, slowly, paying special attention to; "we do not arm anyone" as opposed to the part that says "we allow for a teacher who has a concealed carry permit to carry on the school grounds if they so desire". As for the rest, yeah there's a chance someone can take your weapon, there's also a chance you can get struck by lightning does that make you hide under your bed every time there's a thunderstorm?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. wavingrl

wavingrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +197
    whatever.
    To simplify--you and others believe 'teachers with guns' would be beneficial. I have reservations.

Not worth further discussion. If this becomes a reality, highly unlikely, imo--then the matter will be resolved one way or the other.

~~
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...use-bill-988-concealed-weapons_n_2623123.html

Somewhere in Mississippi--2 teachers per school allowed concealed weapons. I'm certain there are other systems that will also approve such a practice.

No news of any system in Georgia considering this and there is strong support for the 2nd Amendment here. Another reservation I have is the 'type of individual' who should carry a concealed weapon.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013