Electric Cars as Toxic as Dirty Diesel!

That charging station is the 220V outlet already sitting in your garage.
Learn to quote moron, and separate your comment out of mine!

Crick, if you had a brain you would not be posting in favor of Green, Clean, Renewable, Sustainable garbage nor would you post as if you knew about AGW.

You need a charging station, you need an electrician to come in and put an outlet in your garage, you need to pull a permit, you need a system designed, you need a new circuit breaker box.

People believe you just plug electric cars in, like a cell phone? What idiots. First, is your house single phase, double phase, or triple phase and what is the requirement for a Tesla car? Do you have single phase 50 amp? Or do you have double phase 50 amp? Are you pumping ground water? Can your house handle your charger and a pump for ground water? And an air conditioner?

Most homes are single phase, most homes do not have a 240 volt, 3 phase circuit. I bet none do, unless somebody added it after the house is built.

You can go to the Tesla site and the information is vague, it says you can plug into a 110 volt outlet but kind of does not specify that it best be a 50 amp circuit. This is not as easy as pie, Crick.

Tesla says they have a 110 volt 10 kw system, I am not sure on the technical details but that may draw upwards of 100 amps? Unless the charging unit contains a capacitor type of circuitry and cycles on/off.

Either way, Tesla will make it clear that you need an electrician before you drive your Tesla home! No electrician, and you will be burning your house down, guaranteed.

Here is a pic of the outlet, that Crick thinks is in every garage in the good ole usa. That would be 110, 50 amp, you just do not plug a 110 amp 50 amp load onto any old 110 outlet.

Technically, you need a 240 amp, 3 phase 100 amp circuit.
Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors

View attachment 75554
Poor little miss Elektra still doesn't understand the differance between volts and amps. LOL
Prove it, Old Crock, you think the Chevy Volt hybrid is an Electric Car. I see you have no defense of your post that I tore up.

What are taking issue with, quote it, make your comment, and lets see if you can support your mouth.

Last edited:
Three phase is not used for domestic housing, It is a commercial application....Appliances are not made for three phase, Oh and I ask 30 years ago why no two phase..

Sure, 3 phase is not used for domestic housing, but domestic housing was not designed for charging electric cars, either.

Appliances, they are not designed for 3 phase? No kidding, but they will operate fine on a 3 phase circuit, appliances will simply draw the current they use.

Why no 2 phase, as long as we are bullshitting, why no 3 phase? 2 phase is cheaper, but if you got money to throw away on an electric car you got money to buy the best. 3 phase give you more power, faster charging, less danger.

2 phase or 3 phase, both will require a huge investment, permits, an electrician. 3 phase will cost more, but if you are going electric, go 3 phase. If you can not afford 3 phase, you can not afford an electric car.
While the other answers are all correct, there is another wrinkle you might want to be aware of.

In general. household electrical service in North America is single phase three wire 120/240 volt. That is to say that there are three wires, two "hots" (typically red and black) and a "neutral" (typically white).

If you measure the voltage between either of the hot wires and neutral, you will see about 120 volts. Between the two hots, it will be the sum of the voltages, or about 240 volts.

In technical terms, the two hot wires are both 60 Hz alternating current, but they are 180 degrees out of phase.

However...

This is not always the case. There are some areas of the country where, for various reasons, there are some locations where single phase power is not easily available, but three phase power is. So, instead of using 120/240 single phase, they use two of the three phases.

In those locations, the service you have coming into your house looks just the same. Two hots and a neutral.

If you measure the voltage between either of the hot wires and neutral, you will see about 120 volts, just like in single phase service. But between the two hots, it will be about 208 volts, not 240.

This is because the two hot wires are both 60 Hz alternating current, but instead of being 180 degrees out of phase, they are only 120 degrees out of phase

How to know if I have a 3-phase electrical supply at home - Quora

Hmmm....................

Crick, if you had a brain you would not be posting in favor of Green, Clean, Renewable, Sustainable garbage nor would you post as if you knew about AGW.

You need a charging station, you need an electrician to come in and put an outlet in your garage, you need to pull a permit, you need a system designed, you need a new circuit breaker box.

People believe you just plug electric cars in, like a cell phone? What idiots. First, is your house single phase, double phase, or triple phase and what is the requirement for a Tesla car? Do you have single phase 50 amp? Or do you have double phase 50 amp? Are you pumping ground water? Can your house handle your charger and a pump for ground water? And an air conditioner?

Most homes are single phase, most homes do not have a 240 volt, 3 phase circuit. I bet none do, unless somebody added it after the house is built.

You can go to the Tesla site and the information is vague, it says you can plug into a 110 volt outlet but kind of does not specify that it best be a 50 amp circuit. This is not as easy as pie, Crick.

Tesla says they have a 110 volt 10 kw system, I am not sure on the technical details but that may draw upwards of 100 amps? Unless the charging unit contains a capacitor type of circuitry and cycles on/off.

Either way, Tesla will make it clear that you need an electrician before you drive your Tesla home! No electrician, and you will be burning your house down, guaranteed.

Here is a pic of the outlet, that Crick thinks is in every garage in the good ole usa. That would be 110, 50 amp, you just do not plug a 110 amp 50 amp load onto any old 110 outlet.

View attachment 75554
Poor little miss Elektra still doesn't understand the differance between volts and amps. LOL
Prove it, Old Crock, you think the Chevy Volt hybrid is an Electric Car. I see you have no defense of your post that I tore up.

What are taking issue with, quote it, make your comment, and lets see if you can support your mouth.
This is a direct quote from your post;

"Here is a pic of the outlet, that Crick thinks is in every garage in the good ole usa. That would be 110, 50 amp, you just do not plug a 110 amp 50 amp load onto any old 110 outlet.

Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors"

You said "240 amp, 3 Phase 100 amp circuit". Now just what the hell is that.

Three phase is not used for domestic housing, It is a commercial application....Appliances are not made for three phase, Oh and I ask 30 years ago why no two phase..

Sure, 3 phase is not used for domestic housing, but domestic housing was not designed for charging electric cars, either.

Appliances, they are not designed for 3 phase? No kidding, but they will operate fine on a 3 phase circuit, appliances will simply draw the current they use.

Why no 2 phase, as long as we are bullshitting, why no 3 phase? 2 phase is cheaper, but if you got money to throw away on an electric car you got money to buy the best. 3 phase give you more power, faster charging, less danger.

2 phase or 3 phase, both will require a huge investment, permits, an electrician. 3 phase will cost more, but if you are going electric, go 3 phase. If you can not afford 3 phase, you can not afford an electric car.
You do not use three phase to charge these cars....Single phase is used, the max load is 20kw, 6 or 12 volt, the batteries are DC and are low power users....

View attachment 75554

This is a direct quote from your post;

"Here is a pic of the outlet, that Crick thinks is in every garage in the good ole usa. That would be 110, 50 amp, you just do not plug a 110 amp 50 amp load onto any old 110 outlet.

Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors"

You said "240 amp, 3 Phase 100 amp circuit". Now just what the hell is that.
A simple mistake, is man not allowed mistakes, but for you Old Crock, you look for the tiniest piece of bullshit in which to denigrate somebody you disagree with.

That makes you the asshole, the ugly american, that makes you the bigot, the person who is attacking those who will not go along with your beliefs.

Do you really want to attack one another over spelling errors, or simple mistakes. The answer to that is obviously yes, it is all you got, you must wait and sort through all my posts and try to find an error, and if you can not find an error, you have to make one up and hope others believe you.

And I stand by my comment cause it is fact, you do not simply plug an electric car into any outlet, you suggested that you do, and that is a flat out lie.

You buy an electric car, the dealer is going to tell you, that you need an electrician.

You do not use three phase to charge these cars....Single phase is used, the max load is 20kw, 6 or 12 volt, the batteries are DC and are low power users....
20000 watts? On a 6 or 12 volt circuit? Power divided by Volts, will equal Amps?

A 12 volt circuit, with a 20,000 watt load will draw 1,666 amps?
A 6 volt circuit with a 20 kw load will draw 3,333 amps.

Buddy boy, if I rewire my house, by state law, I have to have the job inspected, and a licensed electrician has to hook up the box. But, I do not have to have a licensed electrician to do most of the work, it just has to pass inspection for state codes.

While the other answers are all correct, there is another wrinkle you might want to be aware of.

In general. household electrical service in North America is single phase three wire 120/240 volt. That is to say that there are three wires, two "hots" (typically red and black) and a "neutral" (typically white).

If you measure the voltage between either of the hot wires and neutral, you will see about 120 volts. Between the two hots, it will be the sum of the voltages, or about 240 volts.

In technical terms, the two hot wires are both 60 Hz alternating current, but they are 180 degrees out of phase.

However...

This is not always the case. There are some areas of the country where, for various reasons, there are some locations where single phase power is not easily available, but three phase power is. So, instead of using 120/240 single phase, they use two of the three phases.

In those locations, the service you have coming into your house looks just the same. Two hots and a neutral.

If you measure the voltage between either of the hot wires and neutral, you will see about 120 volts, just like in single phase service. But between the two hots, it will be about 208 volts, not 240.

This is because the two hot wires are both 60 Hz alternating current, but instead of being 180 degrees out of phase, they are only 120 degrees out of phase

How to know if I have a 3-phase electrical supply at home - Quora

Hmmm....................
Hmmmmm, Old Crock has to run to google for every little thought in his head. 99.99999999999% of all houses are Single Phase power.

And if you got one of them old houses that may have 3 phase, you still need an electrician and if your smart, a permit to charge your electric car.

Warning issued for electric car owners after Mooresville house...

MOORESVILLE, N.C.,None —Duke Energy is warning some of its customers after a fire started at a home in Mooresville.

Investigators said they do not know what started the fire, but they fear it could be an electric car charging station. As a result, Duke Energy officials want anyone who has a charging station to stop using it until they know the devices are safe.

Quick 220 Systems - Electric Vehicle Charging – Tesla

How big a circuit will I need?

While hybrid models such as the Chevrolet Volt and plug-in Toyota Prius have a built-in charger that can charge the battery overnight on a standard 110-volt household outlet, pure electric cars will require a separate charger that requires at least a 220-volt, 20-amp circuit. 30 or 40 amp circuits will charge faster. Any electric-car charger has to be on a dedicated circuit. Even plug-in hybrids will be much easier to live with if you have a 220-volt charger, which can cut your charge time in half.

Now that is not a big item, really. Your dryer has a similiar power demand.

old washer/dryer vs modern washer/dryer amps?

Best Answer:The amperage is the same. The plug is not. Around 2000 they went from 3 prong to 4 prong. Still 240 volts, still 40 amps. In your breaker box that is two 20 amp 120 volt circuit together. This is a job for an electrician. Likewise, they will not install a plug on your dryer, that's for an electrician too, he will put on a cord that is compatible with your outlet.
100 amps is plenty. That's all my house is. The only thing I have on a 240 circuit like a electric dryer is my central air. That's 40 amps and on it's own circuits. The whole house has 100 amp mains, unlikely you'd draw another 60 amps unless you have central air, and/or electric heat. Then the mains need to be upgraded to 200 amps. That's when you need to get the power company involved.

Now if you have an older home, you will probably have to get a bigger box. You probably need one in any case.

While hybrid models such as the Chevrolet Volt and plug-in Toyota Prius have a built-in charger that can charge the battery overnight on a standard 110-volt household outlet, pure electric cars will require a separate charger that requires at least a 220-volt, 20-amp circuit. 30 or 40 amp circuits will charge faster. Any electric-car charger has to be on a dedicated circuit. Even plug-in hybrids will be much easier to live with if you have a 220-volt charger, which can cut your charge time in half.

Now that is not a big item, really. Your dryer has a similiar power demand.

old washer/dryer vs modern washer/dryer amps?

Best Answer:The amperage is the same. The plug is not. Around 2000 they went from 3 prong to 4 prong. Still 240 volts, still 40 amps. In your breaker box that is two 20 amp 120 volt circuit together. This is a job for an electrician. Likewise, they will not install a plug on your dryer, that's for an electrician too, he will put on a cord that is compatible with your outlet.
100 amps is plenty. That's all my house is. The only thing I have on a 240 circuit like a electric dryer is my central air. That's 40 amps and on it's own circuits. The whole house has 100 amp mains, unlikely you'd draw another 60 amps unless you have central air, and/or electric heat. Then the mains need to be upgraded to 200 amps. That's when you need to get the power company involved.

Now if you have an older home, you will probably have to get a bigger box. You probably need one in any case.
Like I said, you need an Electrician, and the dealer will tell you that, before you drive your EV home.

I notice you have quit talking about the Tesla, when it suits your argument, you are going to ignore the Tesla.

Why would I ignore the Tesla? A 220 charger will also charge a Tesla faster than a 110 charger will. It will just take longer because of the fact that a Tesla has a much larger battery than any other electric at present.

While hybrid models such as the Chevrolet Volt and plug-in Toyota Prius have a built-in charger that can charge the battery overnight on a standard 110-volt household outlet, pure electric cars will require a separate charger that requires at least a 220-volt, 20-amp circuit. 30 or 40 amp circuits will charge faster. Any electric-car charger has to be on a dedicated circuit. .
Why would I ignore the Tesla? A 220 charger will also charge a Tesla faster than a 110 charger will. It will just take longer because of the fact that a Tesla has a much larger battery than any other electric at present.
You have ignored the Tesla, in this thread. Having a larger battery the impact is larger, not great for your argument, or lack of argument.

In what way? A 240 volt charger operating at 40 amps will charge a Tesla just as easily as a Leaf.
It is the load that determines the amperage, not the charger.

You can not plug a Tesla charger into a Nissan Leaf, and you can not plug a Nissan Leaf charger into a Tesla, so what is the point are you trying to make? Other than trolling in an area you have not the wit or intelligence to be in.

In what way? A 240 volt charger operating at 40 amps will charge a Tesla just as easily as a Leaf.
Damn, Old Crock, you really are dumb when it comes to electricity.

A Nissan Leaf charging at 240 volts, 40 amps, is drawing 10 amps more than the rated specification, which is a dangerous situation, it is more than possible a fire will start, burning down your house, possibly killing your children.

http://www.evsolutions.com/Upload/Nissan/NNA_AV_EVSE-RS-PI_Nissan_sales_sheets_041812_FINAL.pdf
SPECIFICATION EVSE-RS PI Connector SAE J1772 Voltage 240VAC split phase and neutral ground or 208VAC 2 phases and neutral grounded Frequency 60Hz /50Hz Current 30A max Operating Temperature -22°F to 122°F -30°C to 50°C Dimensions 12” x 12” x 8” (approximate) Weight 10 lbs. (excl. cable) 19 lbs. (with 25’ cable) Cord Length 25’ AC Plug NEMA 6-50 Enclosure NEMA 3R Regulatory Compliance UL and cUL listed

View attachment 75554
There is no such thing as double phase.

There is no such thing as double phase.
Technically there is, and in practice, some do exist. Certainly in the context I was speaking, had I thought it through I should only refer to single phase and three phase. But that said, one could argure that 2-phase does exist in Philadelphia and Hartford CT., on a limited basis.

After attempting to detour this thread into a conversation on the cost of electricians, are you now willing to admit that your OP line that EVs produce as much toxin as diesels, ignores the output of their respective engines and thus the claim is specious? That is, are you willing to withdraw your claim, it being bullshit and all?

Forum List

Back