Honda and GM SCRAP $5 billion plan to develop more affordable electric vehicles – after Ford boss warned eco cars had become a ‘political football’

My hubby has a 2019 Tundra. 22400 miles. He's been offered more than we paid for it
My 2013 Tundra cost me $26K when I bought it. The sticker price on it was $30K but I got a great discount. Now it only has 32K miles on it and is worth more than the sticker price as a trade in. It is well built and has been very reliable and I could easily put another 200K miles on it.

The equivalent Ford, Chevy or Dodge would probably be $60K or more now and wouldn't be as good a vehicle.

My Tundra (like your husband's) was made in Texas by non UAW workers and that makes them better.

Toyota is developing a solid-state battery.

Toyota thinks it has solved two of the main hurdles with mass electric vehicle adoption: battery range and charging time. Toyota’s new electric vehicle battery will offer a 745-mile range and only take 10 minutes to charge in what could be a breakthrough in electric vehicle adoption.
Toyota announced this week that it is close to manufacturing a new solid-state battery that could double the range of most electric vehicles—at 745 miles. The batteries could reach the market by 2027 or 2028, helping to catapult electric vehicles into mainstream use.
Battery range and charging time have continued to be a barrier to mass EV adoption, with consumers balking at the idea of driving a limited number of miles before spending significant time recharging.
While battery range and charge time would go a long way to easing car buyers’ reservations about electric vehicle adoption, EV makers will still have to battle another reservation that consumers have with electric vehicles—subpar charging infrastructure, which polls show has dampened enthusiasm for EVs in the United States.

My 2013 Tundra cost me $26K when I bought it. The sticker price on it was $30K but I got a great discount. Now it only has 32K miles on it and is worth more than the sticker price as a trade in. It is well built and has been very reliable and I could easily put another 200K miles on it.

The equivalent Ford, Chevy or Dodge would probably be $60K or more now and wouldn't be as good a vehicle.

My Tundra (like your husband's) was made in Texas by non UAW workers and that makes them better.
A Tundra is currently the only vehicle I am considering for replacement of my high mileage 5.7 Grand Cherokee for towing.
The Jeep had too many issues for the high price and gave up on Chevy and Ford years ago due to problems.
Shame, because my old 96 Jeep was indestructible and bought the newer one hoping for the same reliability.
Most reliable thing is the Check Engine light.

A Tundra is currently the only vehicle I am considering for replacement of my high mileage 5.7 Grand Cherokee for towing.
The Jeep had too many issues for the high price and gave up on Chevy and Ford years ago due to problems.
Shame, because my old 96 Jeep was indestructible and bought the newer one hoping for the same reliability.
Most reliable thing is the Check Engine light.
We had five Jeeps.

Two Grand Cherokees as my wife's SUV. Both were lemons that didn't even make it to 100K and both had major problems.

Three Cherokees.

One of them my son had and it was fine.

One my wife had before the Grand Cherokees came out and it was OK.

The third one was a Cherokee Sport that I bought in 1995 and it was the best vehicle I ever owned. Had it as my daily driver for 21 years. Over 250K miles and never had a problem. I loved that car. I should have kept it but I sold it to a neighbor kid and he drove all through high school and college and last I heard he still had it.

However, I wouldn't buy any Jeep now. Not very reliable.

Toyota is developing a solid-state battery.

Toyota thinks it has solved two of the main hurdles with mass electric vehicle adoption: battery range and charging time. Toyota’s new electric vehicle battery will offer a 745-mile range and only take 10 minutes to charge in what could be a breakthrough in electric vehicle adoption.
Toyota announced this week that it is close to manufacturing a new solid-state battery that could double the range of most electric vehicles—at 745 miles. The batteries could reach the market by 2027 or 2028, helping to catapult electric vehicles into mainstream use.
Battery range and charging time have continued to be a barrier to mass EV adoption, with consumers balking at the idea of driving a limited number of miles before spending significant time recharging.
While battery range and charge time would go a long way to easing car buyers’ reservations about electric vehicle adoption, EV makers will still have to battle another reservation that consumers have with electric vehicles—subpar charging infrastructure, which polls show has dampened enthusiasm for EVs in the United States.
This Solid State technology shows great promise. Much better than the stupid L-I technology.

We had five Jeeps.

Two Grand Cherokees as my wife's SUV. Both were lemons that didn't even make it to 100K and both had major problems.

Three Cherokees.

One of them my son had and it was fine.

One my wife had before the Grand Cherokees came out and it was OK.

The third one was Cherokee Sport that I bought in 1995 and it was the best vehicle I ever owned. Had it as my daily drive for 21 years. Over 250K miles and never had a problem. I loved that car. I should have kept it but I sold it to a neighbor kid and he drove all through high school and college and last I heard he still had it.

However, I wouldn't buy one now. Not very reliable.
Yeah. My 96 Grand made it to 340K before the transmission gave out.
Fiat is ruining the Jeep brand and the new 2023 models are ugly with the redesign.
It even looks like Fiat has bailed on the Mercedes platform the Grand was built on.
Thankfully both my wife and I had a free lifetime warranty as both of us had major engine failure by 150K.
I am at 228K now on the 2011, and will now give the Tundra a go at around the new year. We also have a Toyota Corolla with high mileage that is very reliable.
More so, than my Jeep.

Can't afford to keep a Ferrari on the road, then an EV isn't for you ... that's what bus service is for ...
If anyone can't afford a Ferrari then they won't be able to afford a US car or truck either if and when the UAW strike gets settled. Ain't saying it's right or wrong, but whatever the new deal costs to US automakers is going to get passed onto their customers. Many of whom are going to switch to a foreign make/model and that isn't going to help the EV battery cuz the R&D money is about to evaporate.

The future of personal transportation will be quite different from the current state. What emerges will doubtlessly be highly eclectic, diversified and economical. Personal choices may drive this or follow it.

I'm not in the market for a new vehicle.

I don't own one. I would hesitate to buy a full electric. A hybrid? That seems like a far better idea to me.
I have to agree. It does look as if solid state batteries will dramatically improve charge times and range, but at the moment, a hybrid is a better answer to any long distance travel.

If anyone can't afford a Ferrari then they won't be able to afford a US car or truck either if and when the UAW strike gets settled. Ain't saying it's right or wrong, but whatever the new deal costs to US automakers is going to get passed onto their customers. Many of whom are going to switch to a foreign make/model and that isn't going to help the EV battery cuz the R&D money is about to evaporate.

Ford Motor Company is a welfare client ... they don't exist with government subsidies ... whatever UAW wins will be paid for by the US taxpayer ...

90% fewer passenger vehicles on the road means auto manufacturing is over ...

Ford Motor Company is a welfare client ... they don't exist with government subsidies ... whatever UAW wins will be paid for by the US taxpayer ...
Ford was given a government loan to boost EV production. It is a loan they are required to pay back and there is no mechanism to use those funds to finance pay increases. There is no ongoing funding taking place. The US taxpayer will profit from the interest payments Ford will make on that loan.

I have to agree. It does look as if solid state batteries will dramatically improve charge times and range, but at the moment, a hybrid is a better answer to any long distance travel.
Well there is that.

But look...if you were investing would you put all of your money into stocks or all of your money into bonds or pork bellies? Probably not. Why? Because you’re tied to the fortunes of one entity. If you were buying groceries for the week, would you buy seven days of pasta or would you maybe buy pork for Monday, pasta or Tuesday, steak for Wednesday etc...? You would diversify.

If given the option on buying a new car and you’re unsure of the price of gas versus the price of charging your vehicle...why not buy one that will allow you to play the markets against each other? When gas is through the roof because someone sneezed in Arabia and speculators jack the price up $0.40 a gallon over lunch (I’ve seen this done--the price of gas was 40 cents higher when I drove home than when I was driving to work), you can go electric. When electric gets around to looking just as speculative and the price of gas has calmed down...go with metro. It just makes more sense from that standpoint too.

Forum List

Back