Education in our country is simply unacceptable

The key club from one of our local high schools volunteered at the Theater. They had never heard of "Tom Sawyer" or Mark Twain. I cannot believe how bad our public schools are.

Private schools....ug.

I am all for performance based pay and forced standardized testing result based pay for teachers. Even if some kids "don't test well" it will even out.

Also I need a way to allow more students to fail. My state college education was considerably too easy to get. Much like the private school "pay to pass" program.

As much as I would like to lay all the blame on the teacher and their union, Good amount of the blame must also be placed at the feet of some parents and students. Too many parents today see the schools as little more than free day care, they do not take an active role in helping to educate their children nor do they take the time to encourage their children to learn and ask questions. Many times, an education is what you, the student, make it. I had many a sorry teacher coming up through the public school system. In many instances I got as much from their classes as I did from those of teachers who gave a damn. How? By asking questions and engaging the teacher, making him or her work. My parents were also there, encouraging me to do better, and urging me work harder when I fell short.

It seems to me that the education system failing on two fronts...
Bullshit. I pay a teachers to teach my kids and since I have to I lay the blame at the feet of the incompetent assholes stealing my tax money. It annoys me to all hell when people deflect blame from those paid to do a job to those paying. You wouldn't do that to the person mowing your lawn why do you for a teacher?

Last edited:
It's a tragedy. The TEACHERS UNIONS will not allow any meaningful changes to Public School Education. They have a gravy train to protect! Introduce market forces into the Public Education monopoly and things would improve rapidly..... vouchers anyone?

:lol:

^ this is it. I've seen it first hand. Also discussed the issue with teachers both active and retired. To be a teacher, it's not what you know but who you know or to whom you are related. The district from which Mrs. H. was terminated (short of tenure) is notorious for hiring based on nepotism, cronyism, and favoritism. It also helps if you attend the same church as the principal. These practices are rampant nationwide yet no one dare blow the whistle.

Teachers have little motivation to work their magic. And many teachers just don't "click" with the students.

There is no mechanism for identifying and then rewarding a teacher who connects with kids. Or for identifying the kids who actually learn. Teach to the test, grade to the test. Evaluate from the test.

It's when a teacher "clicks" with superiors that they are rewarded. Click as in clique.

It's who you know, and in what social circles within which you move.

You still don't get it do you?

I am of the opinion that the more intelligent your society is, the more prosperous your society will be. There is a direct correlation between a person's education and their income level. And I think it could be argued the same correlation exists on a national level.

I do believe in our education system and I think we have a good basic system in place for our children. What bothers me though is how much of our emphasis has shifted from education to less important things. And the scariest thing is how much higher education is being pushed away from young people due to rising costs.

American at one time was the best educated country in the world. When the government needed engineers for it's various programs in the golden age of the post-war boom, a significant percentage of the kids at the time were ushered into various government sponsored programs and eventually university degrees and very meaningful lives. There was also a time when it was possible to pay for a college education and an apartment on a part-time job.

However now the average college student has to amass several years worth of debt to pay for a college education thereby basically making them an indentured servant for the early part of their adulthood. Also the average cost of tuition for a four year jumped 15% from 2010 to 2012 and steadily climbs every year.

I can write a bunch more on this subject but I think you get my point. This government and this country really needs to re-focus it's energy on education and I'd even go as far to say we should consider subsidizing higher education on a more profound level.

Agreed.

And this board is proof.

As much as I would like to lay all the blame on the teacher and their union, Good amount of the blame must also be placed at the feet of some parents and students. Too many parents today see the schools as little more than free day care, they do not take an active role in helping to educate their children nor do they take the time to encourage their children to learn and ask questions. Many times, an education is what you, the student, make it. I had many a sorry teacher coming up through the public school system. In many instances I got as much from their classes as I did from those of teachers who gave a damn. How? By asking questions and engaging the teacher, making him or her work. My parents were also there, encouraging me to do better, and urging me work harder when I fell short.

It seems to me that the education system failing on two fronts...
Bullshit. I pay a teachers to teach my kids and since I have to I lay the blame at the feet of the incompetent assholes stealing my tax money. It annoys me to all hell when people deflect blame from those paid to do a job to those paying. You wouldn't do that to the person mowing your lawn why do you for a teacher?

No, I think most of the blame does lie with parents. Other countries which are out performing us, parents will go to any and all lengths necessary to make sure their kids get a good education. In America we stop caring as soon as they're old enough to take care of themselves. It's nothing but daycare to us.

I'm not absolving teacher unions, which allow shitty teachers to keep their jobs. But even the best teacher can't teach a child who doesn't want to learn.

I am of the opinion that the more intelligent your society is, the more prosperous your society will be. There is a direct correlation between a person's education and their income level. And I think it could be argued the same correlation exists on a national level.

I do believe in our education system and I think we have a good basic system in place for our children. What bothers me though is how much of our emphasis has shifted from education to less important things. And the scariest thing is how much higher education is being pushed away from young people due to rising costs.

American at one time was the best educated country in the world. When the government needed engineers for it's various programs in the golden age of the post-war boom, a significant percentage of the kids at the time were ushered into various government sponsored programs and eventually university degrees and very meaningful lives. There was also a time when it was possible to pay for a college education and an apartment on a part-time job.

However now the average college student has to amass several years worth of debt to pay for a college education thereby basically making them an indentured servant for the early part of their adulthood. Also the average cost of tuition for a four year jumped 15% from 2010 to 2012 and steadily climbs every year.

I can write a bunch more on this subject but I think you get my point. This government and this country really needs to re-focus it's energy on education and I'd even go as far to say we should consider subsidizing higher education on a more profound level.

You point out the pathetic bloat of the Liberal higher education racket that relies on government loans to rob our youth and exists primarily to self-perpetuate it's own inefficiency, and then in your next statement say the gubmint needs to subsidize it more.

You really haven't a freaking clue.

LOL

It's hilarious that people who complain about the "quality of education" are the same people who want to teach "magical creation" and "trickle down economics". Who rush off to war without knowing anything about the "enemy". Who want to cut teachers, er, just the "bad ones".

It's hilarious that people who complain about the "quality of education" are the same people who want to teach "magical creation" and "trickle down economics". Who rush off to war without knowing anything about the "enemy". Who want to cut teachers, er, just the "bad ones".

"Magical creation" is no longer taught our progeny thanks to your fuck-for-brains Liberal agenda. Human procreation has been debased to the baster. Man-love-man and woman-love-woman is the new norm. Fuck the family for the sake of "do your thang".

As for economics it "trickles" in the lives of those who suffer through hard work, not those who sit at home awaiting their next check.

Take a back seat you moronic ass hat.

Forum List

Back