Dynasties Finished? Capitals and Penguins both miss playoffs since 2006-07

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
Since I've followed hockey as an adult, the greatest rivalry I've witnessed is the Caps/Pens. It's delivered star power, dramatic game 7's, and top-level hockey.

However, both missed the playoffs this year, while still having their stalwarts of Crosby and Ovechkin on their rosters.

As a Capitals fan, I've known for a long time that while it probably may have been good for the franchise to cut ties with the nucleus that won them the 2016 Stanley cup... there's no way the team could have hacked Ovechkin and started a rebuild. They've kept first line attributes around him like Kuzi, Beckstrom, Wilson, Oshie, etc... but yet before this year would make the playoffs but get smoked in the first round.

The NHL is currently in a flux, kicking these old dynasties from the 2000/2010's out the door.

Since I've followed hockey as an adult, the greatest rivalry I've witnessed is the Caps/Pens. It's delivered star power, dramatic game 7's, and top-level hockey.

However, both missed the playoffs this year, while still having their stalwarts of Crosby and Ovechkin on their rosters.

As a Capitals fan, I've known for a long time that while it probably may have been good for the franchise to cut ties with the nucleus that won them the 2016 Stanley cup... there's no way the team could have hacked Ovechkin and started a rebuild. They've kept first line attributes around him like Kuzi, Beckstrom, Wilson, Oshie, etc... but yet before this year would make the playoffs but get smoked in the first round.

The NHL is currently in a flux, kicking these old dynasties from the 2000/2010's out the door.
Doesn't Fenway own the Penguins?

Forum List

Back