Dumbed down Americans

It's really too bad in what could have been an interesting discussion re the dumbing down of America dissolves into partisan bickering and sniping.

Evenmoreso when that evolves into unnecessary ad hominem and personal insults.

Tsk tsk.

here is truth- even if you are not IN fly over country, you are consigned and cataloged there if you so much as utter anything outside the party/bubble line.

I guess its fair though, you don't have to be IN in Manhattan or San Fran bubble to breath the air or carry the attitude, we just saw it, in spades.

whats the matter with Kansas?

they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant .......

homeschooling = redneck/woolhat/ hillbilly indoctrination; march on christian soldier, the south shall rise again, Nathan Bedford Forrest hero worship and Nascar to compliment their "90 IQ"....

And in the other corner, we have "godless unpatriotic pierced-nose Volvo-driving France-loving left-wing communist latte-sucking tofu-chomping holistic-wacko neurotic vegan weenie perverts" (hat tip to Dave Barry).

Your point? Cons are no more innocent of ugly labeling than libs are, pal.

It's really too bad in what could have been an interesting discussion re the dumbing down of America dissolves into partisan bickering and sniping.

Tsk tsk.

here is truth- even if you are not IN fly over country, you are consigned and cataloged there if you so much as utter anything outside the party/bubble line.

I guess its fair though, you don't have to be IN in Manhattan or San Fran bubble to breath the air or carry the attitude, we just saw it, in spades.

they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant .......

homeschooling = redneck/woolhat/ hillbilly indoctrination; march on christian soldier, the south shall rise again, Nathan Bedford Forrest hero worship and Nascar to compliment their "90 IQ"....

Hee hee. Our kids grew up in Kansas--the oldest from second grade on. Got their bachelor degrees at Wichita State. So I know very well of what you speak.

But it isn't just 'fly over' country that is mischaracterized in the dumbing down of America, but those holding a particular ideological perspective. Identify yourself as more conservative than liberal, and you are immediately branded (by the left) as racist, homophobic, bigoted, uncompassionate, greedy, etc. etc. etc.

Need evidence? Just look at some of the comments on this thread alone. :)

One of the primary causes of dumbing down I think is the prevalence of ideological tunnel vision couple which, without any ability to support conclusions, results in an intolerance that challenges what one has chosen to believe.

In my opinion, it is very difficult for people to learn how to think critically or make any kind of rational value judgments in an environment like that.

The hypocrisy is endless...

Most home schooled kids I ran into in the military were poorly equipped for the real world away from home. The two groups who turned out to be the wildest were home-schoolers and preacher's kids.

That's interesting. I served in the military, too, for twelve years, Army, an SFC when I left for bigger money. The enlisted personal I commanded who were home-schooled, whether in a religious home or not, or came from family's of faith tended to distinguish themselves, both in terms of their professionalism and valor. In fact, I never heard of any of my fellow senior NCOs ever complain about these kids. We were glad to have 'em.

Thanik you for your service.

Of course america is dumbed down. The people are sheeple and believe what they are told. Then they are given a good dose of fear and whala...the politicians have them right where they want them. Great country isnt it?

Did it ever occur to you that Fox's numbers are so high because that organization covers the news in a way that separates itself from the others? Did it ever occur to you that the viewers of Fox News look to that organization to get away from the typical tripe of other news sources?.

Yes, Fox News does separate itself from the others. They swing to the right just as far as MSNBC swings to the left. Viewers of Fox News look to the organization to delivery right wing rhetoric to reinforce their beliefs, not that dull news on the other channels. Yep, Fox News deliveries that daily dose of Glenn Beck to charge up those right wing batteries.
This is where you libs run into a road block.
You claim the people of the US reject conservatism and that your side is the popular side. Your side in your opinion is deserving of the majority on Capitol Hill because you believe your way is better. You also claim the conservative movement is dying.
That said, how do you explain the high ratings of Fox news is our side is in such a minority?
If anything Fox News swings away from the typical liberal drivel we get from the alphabets.
Fox News is most watched because that news organization is getting it right.
I see that you are another one in a long line of liberals who are incensed over the very existence of a competing news organization that refuses to tow the typical liberal line of the main stream media.
Your problem and that of the political Left is you believe Fox News has no right to exist.
As far your side is concerned Fox News takes the "real story" and pulls it away from the rightful presenters( those with your point of view) and presents it in a way that makes the viewer decide his or her opinion on the events of the day. This is difficult for your side to deal with and if you had your druthers ,you'd just rather not deal with it.
So your side goes on it's daily crusade to impugn Fox News.
News Flash. It's not working. FNC's ratings keep rising while the MSM evening national news casts, their news magazine shows and their Sunday AM political shows keep losing viewers.
The bottom line is the country has had it with Obama's attempt to push the country too far to the left. That is why FNC counts many people who label themselves as "independent" as loyal viewers.
Like it or not, believe it or not, The USA is basically a conservative country.
We are socially moderate and fiscally conservative. Always have been. Always will be.
There is no room for radical liberalism or radical conservatism.
Before you react to that last sentence....Ask yourself why just before every mid term and presidential election Evangelical Conservatives and Bible Thumping rightists are always threatening to sit out elections. Answer. These people are unwelcome in the mainstream conservative movement. Reason.....They frighten people.

We are definitely a conservative country, but the left wish to change that through use of the overton window. If they can push as far left as possible, in time far left radicalism will be the norm. Very interesting theory indeed.
Overton window - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMf37Ogtifc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMf37Ogtifc[/ame]

Last edited:
My comment was intended as an insult, a retort to the insult by Soggy. Nothing more. That said, I'm sure there are home-schooled children especially in the South who are taught history that favors southern supremecy, etc. Consider that the State of Texas has chosen to revise history several times.
I think home-schooling is fine, as long as the parents (or designated tutor) abides by the guidelines, and then only through grade 8. Thereafter, children enter adolescence/teens and are far more susceptible to their parents' influence, including their political preferences which absolutely has an influence on children because that happens anyway. But if their textbooks or "teachings/preachings" reinforce a political persuasion by omission or embellishment of historical fact, then we have a problem. In my opinion.

what?:eusa_eh:what insult did soggy make? I just read the 'offending' post.whats insulting?

However, I found your knee jerk reaction very revealing as I do your reinforcing of such right here above in the totality of your comments....... in fact you've dropped your panties, to bad really.:doubt:

Soggy is an insulting asshole. Funny, I didn't used to think so, but you're getting that way too. Sad.

I am? Says who? YOU?

Palease. Drop all the holier-than-thou pretense and you might get a warmer response from people. Just a thought.... toodles!

Lets get back to wearing those dastardly white wigs our so called forefathers wore. What a joke that was. Did I just rip on Georgie washington? Oh my!

How is it germane? Why, when Palin knows that she garners media attention, did she choose to take her stardom to New Hampshire? Does she want Obama to get beaten or not? It would be one thing if it had been OBAMA visiting New Hampshire. That would have been explainable. Palin is a fucking spoiler for you guys, and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll stop making excuses for her behavior and drooling all over her.

ahhhhh...I seeeee, so its germane because the left and you have decided to become altruistic and help "us" out by reporting her every move and bashing the snot out of her....:eusa_think:

Excuse me, but doesn't Sarah still work for FoxNews? Didn't she have her own reality show? Doesn't she Twitter all day long alerting everyone where she'll be every step of every day? Do you honestly think she wishes no one would follow her around? Oh you're funny...

what she wants and gets and how people react is wholly their own deal, since she is apparently on 'my side' of the political fence , don't you find it interesting I don't care, and I would speculate a great many others don't either, it appears to me that you guys care more than we do.

you said ;
you'll stop making excuses for her behavior and drooling all over her.

Maggie, I don't care, I don't make excuses for her ( disclosure one instant ) and the only drolling I see, is folks like yourself who apparently cannot leave it alone....I think if you run a search on palin threads here you would discover that a huge majority of them are made by folks whom have an issue with her of one sort or another.

Eureka!!!!!!NOW I get it thx...

:rolleyes:are you kidding me or what? :lol:

and, I have made 'excuses' for her?:eusa_eh:

and the rest? Care to answer?

has anyone asked for say romneys and pawlentys e mails?
do you even know if anyone has?

and, where are then; obama's Illinois state rep. and senatorial emails?

The Palin emails were the result of a TWO-YEAR OLD FOIA REQUEST. By whom, I don't have a clue. But please don't try to pretend someone just recently obtained copies surreptitiously.

And as far as I know, both Romney and Pawlenty are serious, honest candidates who don't send up red flags by their goofy activities that their backgrounds need to be "investigated." I'm doubly sure that Obama's history has been poked and prodded going back from the moment he popped out--in a Hawaiian hospital.

so the answer is no.

don't you find it curious that her records were foiaed, if Obamas have been doubly poked linking to them should be simple...*shrugs*can I please see a link to the request for obamas that I stipulated? Its been 2 years as well.......

and romneys and pawlentys? they have had careers as chief execs of their states........more than 2 years ago...

Last edited:
How is it germane? Why, when Palin knows that she garners media attention, did she choose to take her stardom to New Hampshire? Does she want Obama to get beaten or not? It would be one thing if it had been OBAMA visiting New Hampshire. That would have been explainable. Palin is a fucking spoiler for you guys, and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll stop making excuses for her behavior and drooling all over her.

ahhhhh...I seeeee, so its germane because the left and you have decided to become altruistic and help "us" out by reporting her every move and bashing the snot out of her....:eusa_think:
Excuse me, but doesn't Sarah still work for FoxNews? Didn't she have her own reality show? Doesn't she Twitter all day long alerting everyone where she'll be every step of every day? Do you honestly think she wishes no one would follow her around? Oh you're funny...

The Palin emails were the result of a TWO-YEAR OLD FOIA REQUEST. By whom, I don't have a clue. But please don't try to pretend someone just recently obtained copies surreptitiously.

And as far as I know, both Romney and Pawlenty are serious, honest candidates who don't send up red flags by their goofy activities that their backgrounds need to be "investigated." I'm doubly sure that Obama's history has been poked and prodded going back from the moment he popped out--in a Hawaiian hospital.

Well, not quite on Obama's history. He's kept many, many things hidden, even today. He's one of the least transparent Presidents in history.

My comment was intended as an insult, a retort to the insult by Soggy. Nothing more. That said, I'm sure there are home-schooled children especially in the South who are taught history that favors southern supremecy, etc. Consider that the State of Texas has chosen to revise history several times.
I think home-schooling is fine, as long as the parents (or designated tutor) abides by the guidelines, and then only through grade 8. Thereafter, children enter adolescence/teens and are far more susceptible to their parents' influence, including their political preferences which absolutely has an influence on children because that happens anyway. But if their textbooks or "teachings/preachings" reinforce a political persuasion by omission or embellishment of historical fact, then we have a problem. In my opinion.

what?:eusa_eh:what insult did soggy make? I just read the 'offending' post.whats insulting?

However, I found your knee jerk reaction very revealing as I do your reinforcing of such right here above in the totality of your comments....... in fact you've dropped your panties, to bad really.:doubt:

Soggy is an insulting asshole. Funny, I didn't used to think so, but you're getting that way too. Sad.

really? well, I call them as I see them, you made some comments that can be read only one way, thats not an insult thats an observation, is there another way to interpret what you said?

Tsk tsk.

And in the other corner, we have "godless unpatriotic pierced-nose Volvo-driving France-loving left-wing communist latte-sucking tofu-chomping holistic-wacko neurotic vegan weenie perverts" (hat tip to Dave Barry).

Your point? Cons are no more innocent of ugly labeling than libs are, pal.

true, however, the difference is you made those observation, that last paragraph was a take on your comments in this thread and comments I have seen here at this forum.

Well, not quite on Obama's history. He's kept many, many things hidden, even today. He's one of the least transparent Presidents in history.

If it's hidden, how do you know it's hidden? :lol:

As for transparency, Obama doesn't have a familial history like the Bush name; he rose from State Senator to US Senator, and before that as you all delight in repeating, worked for the betterment of communities, plus did Constitutional law instruction at the University of Chicago. He doesn't really have many visible badges to flaunt. His background is really quite boring if adventure and action is what you look for in a candidate.

Speaking as a former but very active member of the media, I can assure you, however, that the corporate owners exercise very little editorial influence on the media outlets they own. When Rupert Murdoch for instance launched Fox News, he almost certainly hired a rightwing CEO who would provide an alternative to all the other television/cable media outlets that were all leftwing. And he set the standard that all newscasts would be balanced with perspective from all ideological sides. Fox has held to that standard pretty darn well. Editorially, more rightwing than leftwing. But in the newscasts, you'll get both sides (which most leftwingers then conclude is slanted rightwing. :))

But Murdoch doesn't tell the news managers what stories to run or what slant to put on them.

The CEO of General Electric, when GE owned NBC and its affiliaites, at one point ordered the managers to say nothing negative about Barack Obama or his administration. Of course that drove NBC far left from where it had been but they obeyed the order. He didn't, however, tell them what stories to run or what slant to put on them.

Now that Comcast has taken over the NBC family, I've seen a decided editorial shift away from the far radical left. And their numbers are coming up as a result even though they still tilt left.

The problem with Fox, CNN, and all the alphabet networks is that they no longer do much of anything really in depth. They give the public 30 second soundbites of this and that and the public has learned to prefer to get information in that way and as a result is a far less well educated public. As polarizing and sometimes despised figure as Glenn Beck is, he was the one exception. He did some deep research and provided competent, in depth perspective on a lot of stuff. But he's leaviMOng. And there will be nobody to do that anywhere except the occasional documentary program that most people no longer take time to watch.

Good post, however I would like for you to name a single show on MSNBC that has anything but a far left host.
Morning Joe with Joe Scarborough.

Joe is a fiscal conservative but has MOSTLY liberal guests on his program. It is fun on occasion, to watch Pat Buchanan wipe up the floor with some of these liberals, albeit in a respectful manner.

You can count on Joe to spend 15 or 20 minutes every day making fun of a Republican, usually Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman, or some other social conservative that is running for office.

He also mentions a dozen times a day that we get out of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Now, you have covered the three hours from 6 to 9 AM. Can you name another conservative host for the next 21 hours?

what she wants and gets and how people react is wholly their own deal, since she is apparently on 'my side' of the political fence , don't you find it interesting I don't care, and I would speculate a great many others don't either, it appears to me that you guys care more than we do.

you said ;

Maggie, I don't care, I don't make excuses for her ( disclosure one instant ) and the only drolling I see, is folks like yourself who apparently cannot leave it alone....I think if you run a search on palin threads here you would discover that a huge majority of them are made by folks whom have an issue with her of one sort or another.

so the answer is no.

don't you find it curious that her records were foiaed, if Obamas have been doubly poked linking to them should be simple...*shrugs*can I please see a link to the request for obamas that I stipulated? Its been 2 years as well.......

and romneys and pawlentys? they have had careers as chief execs of their states........more than 2 years ago...

People requested information 544,360 times last year under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act from the 35 largest agencies, up nearly 41,000 more than the previous year, according to an analysis by The Associated Press of new federal data. But the government responded to nearly 12,400 fewer requests.

That's a LOT of requests. Once again, you want instant results. Ain't gonna happen, and it didn't happen when Boooooooooooooosh was prez either. They first have to sort out the silly from the serious; redact potentially classified material, and so on.

I'm curious what you're looking for? Nevermind. I can guess.

images

As for transparency, Obama doesn't have a familial history like the Bush name; he rose from State Senator to US Senator, and before that as you all delight in repeating, worked for the betterment of communities, plus did Constitutional law instruction at the University of Chicago. He doesn't really have many visible badges to flaunt. His background is really quite boring if adventure and action is what you look for in a candidate.

Surely you can't be serious. I'm sure you've seen all the documents Obama has paid lots of money to keep hidden. Here's a partial list:

• Passport files
  • University of Chicago Law School scholarly articles
  • Harvard Law Review articles
  • Harvard Law School records
  • Columbia University records
  • Columbia University senior thesis, "Soviet Nuclear Disarmament"
  • Occidental College records, including financial aid that he may have received
  • Punahou School records, where Mr. Obama attended from the fifth grade until he
  • finished high school
  • Noelani Elementary School records, where Barack Obama attended kindergarten
  • (according to the Hawaii Department of Education, students must submit a birth
  • certificate to register -- but parents may bring a passport or student visa if the
  • child is from a foreign country)
  • Complete files and schedules of his years as an Illinois state senator from 1997
  • to 2004
  • Obama's client list from during his time in private practice with the Chicago law
  • firm of Davis, Miner, Barnhill and Gallard
  • Illinois State Bar Association records
  • Baptism records
  • Obama/Dunham marriage license
  • Obama/Dunham divorce documents
  • Soetoro/Dunham marriage license
  • Soetero/Dunham Adoption records

You don't spend over a million dollars to keep things like this hidden unless you have something to hide. Surely the closed-door meetings concerning healthcare "reform" is enough to convince anybody except for the kool-aid drinkers that Obama speaks to his lack of transparency. And I'm sure you've seen this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzMas1bVidw]YouTube - ‪Brokaw and Rose Admit They Don't Know Much About Obama.‬‏[/ame]

There are plenty of other examples. The fact is the guy has little to no experience in the real world. America deserves better.

Yup its quite sad!

People worrying about stupid crap instead of ACTUAL THINGS WRONG IN OUR COUNTRY!

Used to live on Staten Island... nuff said.
SO you've experienced the pleasantries of Guidos as well.
As a matter of fact, at the NJ SHore, the locals despise these day tripping out worlders. They refer to them as "Bennies" or "Vinnies".
"Jersey Shore" will hopefully die on the vine.

All to well. My neighbor, we'll call her Marion, got mad at me once and called her boyfriend over on me... his name was Sal and was all of 5'3" with the gold chains and the Vinnie Gumba warmup suit.
And probably yapped at you for 15 minutes about how many ways he was going to dismember you and your entire family.
Those fuckers were the biggest talkers on the planet.
I got into it with one of these pukes in high school. Of course he was with two of his buddies and talking like he was Rocky Marciano....I had an older brother who educated me well on these situations. Hit first. Talk about it later. As mr yappy guido was talking shit, I blasted him right on the button. He went down holding his schnoz. There was blood everywhere. First he pleaded with one of the other guidos to take revenge. They laughed their asses off. Then the north Jersey bleeder told me his father was going to take care of me. His dad liked me anyway....He coached me in baseball when I was a kid. His old man would have kicked his ass for getting beat in a fight.
And so was life growing with guidos...Free entertainment. Oh it got real funny right after "Saturday Night Fever" hit the theatres. Every one of these guido fucks though they were John Travolta.....

and palins?

you said ;

so the answer is no.

People requested information 544,360 times last year under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act from the 35 largest agencies, up nearly 41,000 more than the previous year, according to an analysis by The Associated Press of new federal data. But the government responded to nearly 12,400 fewer requests.

That's a LOT of requests. Once again, you want instant results. Ain't gonna happen, and it didn't happen when Boooooooooooooosh was prez either. They first have to sort out the silly from the serious; redact potentially classified material, and so on.

I'm curious what you're looking for? Nevermind. I can guess.

so you are down to arguing mitigation....and, you played the booooosh card...:doubt:

where did I say I wanted instant results? I said, that Romney has been out of office how long? and he ran as a primary challenger in 08, and everyone knew he was going to run this time....and?

Obama became a candidate when? if we got sarahs in the time it took since she was named as a veep pick there has been several more months to ask for Obamas? or say, Hillarys?

I am looking for the same thing the NY Times and Wapo, who advertised for anyone capable of writing an email to help look, wanted to find.........

whoops...

For All The Promises Of Transparency, Obama Administration Responding To Fewer FOIA Requests
from the but-of-course dept

One of the first moves that President Obama made upon taking office was to tell federal agencies to default to "allow" when it came to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, and only deny in specific situations. It looks like that's not really happening. A new report points out that while the number of FOIA requests shot up last year, the government actually responded to many fewer of those requests. More than one-third of requests were refused. That's not the transparency we expected.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ation-responding-to-fewer-foia-requests.shtml

Last edited:

Forum List

Back