Dumbed down Americans

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
CNN reported this morning that the most visited sites on the Internet were for information on:

1. Anthony Weiner

2. Sarah Palin's emails

I hope it's just because it's Sunday morning.

then the media should do the country a service and stop covering it........:lol:

It's the new cowbell

People want more weiner. Personally I think it's the usmb gals.

ooooh dude........you're
toast.jpg

CNN reported this morning that the most visited sites on the Internet were for information on:

1. Anthony Weiner

2. Sarah Palin's emails

Here's the biggest problem:
American educators received a wake-up call today when it was revealed that students in Shanghai rank number one globally in reading, math and science, far outpacing their American peers. Despite modest gains in math and science, the U.S. continues to lag behind other developed countries.

China Debuts at Top of International Education Rankings - ABC News
Is it any wonder that Obama sends his kids to private schools?

1. Anthony Weiner

2. Sarah Palin's emails

American educators received a wake-up call today when it was revealed that students in Shanghai rank number one globally in reading, math and science, far outpacing their American peers. Despite modest gains in math and science, the U.S. continues to lag behind other developed countries.

What do you expect? We have kids spending ten years in college, finally graduating with degrees in General Studies, Black Studies, Women's Studies and the like.

The clown in the red shirt is you....a fraud parading as right-wing people.

The libs were caught with emails telling their people to go pretend to be Tea Party members to shame the Tea Party....so you're full of shit.

Whenever there is a rally right-wing or left-wing....libs are there doing something because you have nothing else to do in life.

1. Anthony Weiner

2. Sarah Palin's emails

What do you expect? We have kids spending ten years in college, finally graduating with degrees in General Studies, Black Studies, Women's Studies and the like.

AND they'll spend $100K or more for it...

It impresses the McDonald's managers, I suppose...

1. Anthony Weiner

2. Sarah Palin's emails

http://truemajority.org/oreos/

Last edited:
It isn't so much a dumbed down America as a dumbed down media. If we had a media more interested in presenting ALL SIDES of the news in an impartial and objective and competent manner, we would have a much better educated electorate. Unfortunately, many representatives of the 'press' are almost as dumb as the people interviewed in those You Tube videos.

110609beelertoon_c20110609121917.jpg

1. Anthony Weiner

2. Sarah Palin's emails

Not to me. I'd have done the same, if I had had the resources to.

then the media should do the country a service and stop covering it........:lol:

But the quandry is that the media is out to make money and they cover what the idiots want.
If they cover intelligent stuff their viewership goes down.
Just look at the Fox viewership numbers for instance.

I think the Fox numbers beat the pants off everybody else combined because they DON'T spend a lot of time on partisan rants, sex scandals, and Sarah Palin. So most people with a brain are tuning in there to find out what's going on in the world. Those who WANT a lot of partisan rants, sex scandals, and implied scandal re Sarah Palin watch the others.

A huge chunk of people aren't tuning in anywhere, however. Which accounts for so many grown people not knowing who the Vice President is or who the Speaker of the House is or which party is the majority. I think if the Founders had ever in their wildest dreams thought grown Americans would become so brain washed or so ignorant or so ill informed, they might have written some kind of voters test into the Constitution. Something that would verify that the voter knew at least who the candidates were before letting them into the voting booth.

It isn't so much a dumbed down America as a dumbed down media. If we had a media more interested in presenting ALL SIDES of the news in an impartial and objective and competent manner, we would have a much better educated electorate. Unfortunately, many representatives of the 'press' are almost as dumb as the people interviewed in those You Tube videos.

They're not dumb, they're well paid to present the information that their owners want presented, how their owners want it presented and limited to what their owners want presented.

Corporate owned media is no more a free press than is state owned media.

Thank (insert your preferred Deity here) for the internet.

They're not dumb, they're well paid to present the information that their owners want presented, how their owners want it presented and limited to what their owners want presented.

Corporate owned media is no more a free press than is state owned media.

Thank (insert your preferred Deity here) for the internet.

Speaking as a former but very active member of the media, I can assure you, however, that the corporate owners exercise very little editorial influence on the media outlets they own. When Rupert Murdoch for instance launched Fox News, he almost certainly hired a rightwing CEO who would provide an alternative to all the other television/cable media outlets that were all leftwing. And he set the standard that all newscasts would be balanced with perspective from all ideological sides. Fox has held to that standard pretty darn well. Editorially, more rightwing than leftwing. But in the newscasts, you'll get both sides (which most leftwingers then conclude is slanted rightwing. :))

But Murdoch doesn't tell the news managers what stories to run or what slant to put on them.

The CEO of General Electric, when GE owned NBC and its affiliaites, at one point ordered the managers to say nothing negative about Barack Obama or his administration. Of course that drove NBC far left from where it had been but they obeyed the order. He didn't, however, tell them what stories to run or what slant to put on them.

Now that Comcast has taken over the NBC family, I've seen a decided editorial shift away from the far radical left. And their numbers are coming up as a result even though they still tilt left.

The problem with Fox, CNN, and all the alphabet networks is that they no longer do much of anything really in depth. They give the public 30 second soundbites of this and that and the public has learned to prefer to get information in that way and as a result is a far less well educated public. As polarizing and sometimes despised figure as Glenn Beck is, he was the one exception. He did some deep research and provided competent, in depth perspective on a lot of stuff. But he's leaving. And there will be nobody to do that anywhere except the occasional documentary program that most people no longer take time to watch.

Very good comment.
I just thought I'd bring this thread's intended OP back.
I mean, it didn't take long for this non-partisan thread to turn into the ever-constant pissing match between the right and the left.
We can thank the media and in particular cable news for this perfect example of the dumbing down of some Americans by their polarizing efforts, all for the mighty buck and ratings. People buy into it so much that can't carry on a discussion that doesn't turn into partisans whining. This thread is a perfect example. Ahhh, the dumbing down of America.

The majority of military work centers I've been in around the world....have FOX News on the TV.

FOX News will report the good news out of Iraq and Afghanistan, whereas CNN and msnbc will cover it up....mostly reporting bad news from the war front.

Also, FOX News will report the bad things all politicians in DC do, whereas CNN and msnbc will only report Republicans and sometimes Democrats when they can't cover up the story like Weinergate. Most libs have no clue a Democrat from LA had money hidden in a fridge, Barney Franks' boyfriend ran a gay brothel in their apartment, Blagovich is actually a Democrat from IL, etc.

Forum List

Back