Dumbed down Americans

Sigh...the numbers below really don't mean anything, when you combine the totals of all the other news channels which someone is apparently watching at the same time.

It doesn't matter how fiercely you defend Fox, Fox--the channel is biased to the right, not "slightly," but totally. And everyone knows that.

This is where you libs run into a road block.
You claim the people of the US reject conservatism and that your side is the popular side. Your side in your opinion is deserving of the majority on Capitol Hill because you believe your way is better. You also claim the conservative movement is dying.
That said, how do you explain the high ratings of Fox news is our side is in such a minority?
If anything Fox News swings away from the typical liberal drivel we get from the alphabets.
Fox News is most watched because that news organization is getting it right.
I see that you are another one in a long line of liberals who are incensed over the very existence of a competing news organization that refuses to tow the typical liberal line of the main stream media.
Your problem and that of the political Left is you believe Fox News has no right to exist.
As far your side is concerned Fox News takes the "real story" and pulls it away from the rightful presenters( those with your point of view) and presents it in a way that makes the viewer decide his or her opinion on the events of the day. This is difficult for your side to deal with and if you had your druthers ,you'd just rather not deal with it.
So your side goes on it's daily crusade to impugn Fox News.
News Flash. It's not working. FNC's ratings keep rising while the MSM evening national news casts, their news magazine shows and their Sunday AM political shows keep losing viewers.
The bottom line is the country has had it with Obama's attempt to push the country too far to the left. That is why FNC counts many people who label themselves as "independent" as loyal viewers.
Like it or not, believe it or not, The USA is basically a conservative country.
We are socially moderate and fiscally conservative. Always have been. Always will be.
There is no room for radical liberalism or radical conservatism.
Before you react to that last sentence....Ask yourself why just before every mid term and presidential election Evangelical Conservatives and Bible Thumping rightists are always threatening to sit out elections. Answer. These people are unwelcome in the mainstream conservative movement. Reason.....They frighten people.
Most viewers watch mainstream news on either ABC, NBC, CBS news. Fox News is the only right wing TV news channel so naturally it will have the highest ratings because it has no competition.

The problemis that ABC, NBC, and CBS all have their own biases and will more often tilt left. But you're right that Fox News is the only news source that tilts right editorially but that doesn't stop those who want ONLY left wing bias demonstrated to be unrelenting in their attacks and criticisms of it.

Fox and ABC are the two most centrist news sources overall--ABC veers slightly left; Fox veers slightly right--but Fox does as good or better job in ANYBODY in being fair and balanced in their news reportintg no matter how much the leftwingers wish to deny that.

But re the competition--when you add ALL the other cable news sources together, Fox still beats all the others combined in almost every hour of every day. And even though I deplore the 30 to 60-second sound bite means of dispensing the news, Fox offers a lot of substance and they must be offering something the American people are hungry for.

And because whether they know it or not, the fact that most Americans are ideologically right of center means the other cable news outlets are having to abandon some of their uglier leftwing dogma in order to compete at all.

Nielsen ratings for this past Saturday:

Live + Same Day Cable News Daily Ratings for June 11, 2009

P2+ Total Day
FNC – 1,231,000 viewers
CNN – 552,000 viewers
MSNBC –372,000 viewers
CNBC – 233,000 viewers
HLN – 307,000 viewers

P2+ Prime Time
FNC – 2,699,000 viewers
CNN—824,000 viewers
MSNBC –947,000 viewers
CNBC – 241,000 viewers
HLN – 578,000 viewers

25-54 Total Day
FNC –316,000 viewers
CNN –147,000 viewers
MSNBC –107,000 viewers
CNBC –89,000 viewers
HLN- 135,000 viewers

25-54 Prime Time
FNC – 696,000 viewers
CNN –199,000 viewers
MSNBC –259,000 viewers
CNBC – 121,000 viewers
HLN – 219,000 viewers

35-64 Total Day
FNC –586,000 viewers
CNN –233,000 viewers
MSNBC –185,000 viewers
CNBC –112,000 viewers
HLN- 178,000 viewers

35-64 Prime Time
FNC –1,197,000 viewers
CNN – 334,000 viewers
MSNBC –452,000 viewers
CNBC –117,000 viewers
HLN –301,000 viewers

Morning programs (6:00AM-9:00AM) P2+ (25-54) (35-64)
FOX & Friends –938,000 viewers (287,000) (529,000)
American Morning- 391,000 viewers (138,000) (189,000)
Morning Joe-335,000 viewers (126,000) (205,000)
Squawk Box-175,000 viewers (73,000) (102,000)
Morning Express w/ Meade- 225,000 viewers (138,000) (161,000)

5PM – P2+ (25-54) (35-64)
Glenn Beck – 1,902,000 viewers (420,000) (890,000)
Situation Room—703,000 viewers (135,000) (244,000)
Hardball w/ Chris Matthews —530,000 viewers (117,000) (220,000)
Fast Money—230,000 viewers (76,000) (105,000)
Prime News—160,000 viewers (71,000) (76,000)

6PM – P2+ (25-54) (35-64)
Special Report w/Bret Baier – 1,901,000 viewers (447,000) (900,000)
Situation Room—640,000 viewers (156,000) (265,000)
Ed Show —502,000 viewers (114,000) (222,000)
Mad Money—175,000 viewers (56,000) (93,000)
Prime News—202,000 viewers (57,000) (80,000)

7PM – P2+ (25-54) (35-64)
Fox Report w/Shepard Smith– 1,713,000 viewers (458,000) (885,000)
Lou Dobbs Tonight–648,000 viewers (167,000) (303,000)
Hardball w/Chris Matthews—624,000 viewers (156,000) (275,000)
Kudlow Report —178,000 viewers (50,000) (96,000)
Issues– 369,000 viewers (153,000) (192,000)

8PM – P2+ (25-54) (35-64)
The O’Reilly Factor—3,438,000 viewers (816,000) (1,492,000)
Campbell Brown—747,000 viewers (211,000) (359,000)
Countdown w/Keith Olbermann –1,193,000 viewers (348,000) (568,000)
CNBC Reports—148,000 viewers (57,000) (84,000)
Nancy Grace –985,000 viewers (351,000) (508,000)

9 PM – P2+ (25-54) (35-64)
Hannity–2,597,000 viewers (708,000) (1,165,000)
Larry King Live—826,000 viewers (168,000) (308,000)
Rachel Maddow Show –1,013,000 viewers (257,000) (451,000)
Marijuana Inc —357,000 viewers (197,000) (168,000)
Lou Dobbs- 358,000 viewers (117,000) (175,000)

10 PM P2+ (25-54) (35-64)
On The Record w/Greta—2,044,000 viewers (565,000) (919,000)
Anderson Cooper 360—899,000 viewers (218,000) (335,000)
Countdown w/Keith Olbermann—636,000 viewers (171,000) (338,000)
Money Chase: Inside HBS—217,000 viewers (109,000) (100,000)
Nancy Grace –421,000 viewers (203,000) (236,000)

11 PM P2+ (25-54) (35-64)
The O”Reilly Factor– 1,352,000 viewers (471,000) (700,000)
Anderson Cooper 360 —527,000 viewers (151,000) (229,000)
Rachel Maddow Show –350,000 viewers (100,000) (216,000)
Mad Money- 129,000 viewers (95,000) (70,000)
Showbiz Tonight– 503,000 viewers (226,000) (294,000)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2009/06/12/cable-news-ratings-for-june-11-2009/20561/

And because most Americans aren't watching any news but taking their cues from ideologically biased and often incorrect internet sources, etc., you have idiots like you see on those Youtube videos.

Sigh...the numbers below really don't mean anything, when you combine the totals of all the other news channels which someone is apparently watching at the same time.

It doesn't matter how fiercely you defend Fox, Fox--the channel is biased to the right, not "slightly," but totally. And everyone knows that.

No, everybody doesn't know that Maggie. Just those who so desperately want the leftwing ideology to be the only one worth considering. Fox is editorially rightwing yes and that is on purpose because nobody, and I do mean nobody else is offering a rightwing perspective out there. But their news reporting is the most balanced and unbiased you're going to find anywhere.

I've done the research and I'm pretty confident that I've got it right on that. It's fine if you hate Fox. But don't try to misrepresent who and what they are or blow off the hard evidence shown in those Nielsen ratings.

Last edited:
Palin brings the attention to herself intentionally; she begs for the attention. Are you kidding?

palin-2012-.jpg

how is that germane? she has not been in office for what, 2 years? has she declared herself as a candidate?

has anyone asked for say romneys and pawlentys e mails?
do you even know if anyone has?

and, where are then; obama's Illinois state rep. and senatorial emails?

and mm are you sure you are not being told what to watch ala palin by the nets?

How is it germane? Why, when Palin knows that she garners media attention, did she choose to take her stardom to New Hampshire? Does she want Obama to get beaten or not? It would be one thing if it had been OBAMA visiting New Hampshire. That would have been explainable. Palin is a fucking spoiler for you guys, and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll stop making excuses for her behavior and drooling all over her.

ahhhhh...I seeeee, so its germane because the left and you have decided to become altruistic and help "us" out by reporting her every move and bashing the snot out of her....:eusa_think:

Eureka!!!!!!NOW I get it thx...

:rolleyes:are you kidding me or what? :lol:

and, I have made 'excuses' for her?:eusa_eh:

and the rest? Care to answer?

But the quandry is that the media is out to make money and they cover what the idiots want.
If they cover intelligent stuff their viewership goes down.
Just look at the Fox viewership numbers for instance.
Did it ever occur to you that Fox's numbers are so high because that organization covers the news in a way that separates itself from the others? Did it ever occur to you that the viewers of Fox News look to that organization to get away from the typical tripe of other news sources?
Is it so impossible for you to believe that since Fox does not tow the liberal media line that Fox News is what people who take their news seriously are looking for?
Look, the ratings numbers do not lie. If Fox news was the decadent lying short seller of news that the Left says it is, Fox News would have gone out of business long ago.

Fox is where right-leaning people go for their news, because they are more apt to hear what will justify their own political leanings. Same with MSNBC. And Fox and MSNBC accommodate their respective audiences.

and msnbc and abc and cbs and cnn and npr and pbs.....hello.

how is that germane? she has not been in office for what, 2 years? has she declared herself as a candidate?

and mm are you sure you are not being told what to watch ala palin by the nets?

How is it germane? Why, when Palin knows that she garners media attention, did she choose to take her stardom to New Hampshire? Does she want Obama to get beaten or not? It would be one thing if it had been OBAMA visiting New Hampshire. That would have been explainable. Palin is a fucking spoiler for you guys, and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll stop making excuses for her behavior and drooling all over her.

ahhhhh...I seeeee, so its germane because the left and you have decided to become altruistic and help "us" out by reporting her every move and bashing the snot out of her....:eusa_think:

Eureka!!!!!!NOW I get it thx...

:rolleyes:are you kidding me or what? :lol:

and, I have made 'excuses' for her?:eusa_eh:

and the rest? Care to answer?

Yup. Sarah Palin is currently the 'whipping boy' used to conveniently deflect from having to report much information on people actually in government or actively seeking public office. By putting her on the front page, using her to consume a great deal of air time, and starting thread after thread after thread about her on the internet, they hope to keep the weaknesses of actual political operatives or candidates under the radar.

And despite all of that she remains unbowed, upbeat, focused, and still draws bigger crowds than just about anybody else can draw.

She is a remarkable woman. The strongest I have seen in a long time now. I still remain unconvinced she is presidential material, but anybody who has stood up under the unrelenting attack machines with the grace and poise she has demonstrated has my respect and admiration.

:lol: Just what is a "home-schooled bigot?" Do tell.

I sometimes am privileged to work with the AWANA group here in Albuquerque that provides extra curricular activities to almost all homeschooled kids. Four hundred of those kids participate at my church alone and there are groups all over town. You won't find a more mature, well rounded, well educated, and solidly grounded bunch of kids anywhere on the planet. They are all terrific.

I haven't noticed any bigots among any of them, I suspect though, if you looked hard enough, you might find a bigot somewhere.

Almost all of these kids do go on to college and they major in real subjects. They are my hope that we won't totally lose the country to a lost brainwashed or uneducated generation.

My comment was intended as an insult, a retort to the insult by Soggy. Nothing more. That said, I'm sure there are home-schooled children especially in the South who are taught history that favors southern supremecy, etc. Consider that the State of Texas has chosen to revise history several times.
I think home-schooling is fine, as long as the parents (or designated tutor) abides by the guidelines, and then only through grade 8. Thereafter, children enter adolescence/teens and are far more susceptible to their parents' influence, including their political preferences which absolutely has an influence on children because that happens anyway. But if their textbooks or "teachings/preachings" reinforce a political persuasion by omission or embellishment of historical fact, then we have a problem. In my opinion.

what?:eusa_eh:what insult did soggy make? I just read the 'offending' post.whats insulting?

However, I found your knee jerk reaction very revealing as I do your reinforcing of such right here above in the totality of your comments....... in fact you've dropped your panties, to bad really.:doubt:

Last edited:
Most TV viewers watch the news broadcasts on ABC, CBS, or NBC with total number viewers of about 20 million. O’Reilly is usually the most watched program on Fox News with about 3 million viewers. There is a huge difference between news reporting and news commentary. Fox News is mostly news commentary, giving a conservative opinion of the news and selective reporting which counterbalances MSNBC.

Neither news broadcasts nor news commentary are favorites with viewers and pale in comparison with American Idol, Dancing with the Stars or Sunday Night Football, which tells us where the public's real interest lie.

Evening News Ratings - TVNewser
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/06/10/cable-news-ratings-for-thursday-june-9-2011/95284/

Most watched TV shows of 2010 | accessAtlanta Holiday Guide Blog

Most TV viewers watch the news broadcasts on ABC, CBS, or NBC with total number viewers of about 20 million. O’Reilly is usually the most watched program on Fox News with about 3 million viewers. There is a huge difference between news reporting and news commentary. Fox News is mostly news commentary, giving a conservative opinion of the news and selective reporting which counterbalances MSNBC.

Neither news broadcasts nor news commentary are favorites with viewers and pale in comparison with American Idol, Dancing with the Stars or Sunday Night Football, which tells us where the public's real interest lie.

Evening News Ratings - TVNewser
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/06/10/cable-news-ratings-for-thursday-june-9-2011/95284/

Most watched TV shows of 2010 | accessAtlanta Holiday Guide Blog

I disagree that Fox is more news commentary than any other cable news outlet. The straight news programs do include intermittant interview segments within the news casts and they do a really good job of presenting opposing points of view with those. But even the weather channel has more information programming than it does straight weather reporting. Without the commentary and informative programming, nobody would watch any of it more than a few minutes a day.

But you are correct that more people watch the 'free' network news than watch cable news. Which makes it even more absurd that Fox is somehow skewing the system or distorting public opinion with 'lies' etc. But that doesn't keep the militant leftwing ideologues from thinking Fox News, along with talk radio, should go away lest people be allowed to hear something other than what those leftwing ideologues think people should be allowed to hear.

Last edited:
:lol: Just what is a "home-schooled bigot?" Do tell.

I sometimes am privileged to work with the AWANA group here in Albuquerque that provides extra curricular activities to almost all homeschooled kids. Four hundred of those kids participate at my church alone and there are groups all over town. You won't find a more mature, well rounded, well educated, and solidly grounded bunch of kids anywhere on the planet. They are all terrific.

I haven't noticed any bigots among any of them, I suspect though, if you looked hard enough, you might find a bigot somewhere.

Almost all of these kids do go on to college and they major in real subjects. They are my hope that we won't totally lose the country to a lost brainwashed or uneducated generation.

My comment was intended as an insult, a retort to the insult by Soggy. Nothing more. That said, I'm sure there are home-schooled children especially in the South who are taught history that favors southern supremecy, etc. Consider that the State of Texas has chosen to revise history several times.
Well that was surely substantive.
Your snooty liberal elitism exposes you.

Precisely my point. For a while they had Hannity and Colmes on (I'm guessing that was their attempt at balance)...a more partisan country and Colmes is suddenly gone. Theres a rise in conservatism supposedly in the country; hence Morning Joe is on MSNBC. Headline News had the incouragable (sp?) Glenn Beck on for a while. Decisions are made on how many eyes are going to show up; little else; either that or all of the greatest journalists in broadcasting seem to be passable for models all of the sudden.

We get the media we want. Blaming the fourth estate for an ill informed public is like blaming the dealer for someone's crack addiction.

I agree, so whats with the repeated fox bashing( not you oin general)? there's plenty for the left, whats the point? :eusa_eh:

It's hard not to bash Fox when someone fiercely defends it as being "fair and balanced." It is not. At least MSNBC admits it leans left.
Give just one example of a Fox News report that was "unfair" or "unbalanced"....

My comment was intended as an insult, a retort to the insult by Soggy. Nothing more. That said, I'm sure there are home-schooled children especially in the South who are taught history that favors southern supremecy, etc. Consider that the State of Texas has chosen to revise history several times

I wonder if this one thinks all blacks live in ghettos and smoke crack too?

But the quandry is that the media is out to make money and they cover what the idiots want.
If they cover intelligent stuff their viewership goes down.
Just look at the Fox viewership numbers for instance.
Did it ever occur to you that Fox's numbers are so high because that organization covers the news in a way that separates itself from the others? Did it ever occur to you that the viewers of Fox News look to that organization to get away from the typical tripe of other news sources?
Is it so impossible for you to believe that since Fox does not tow the liberal media line that Fox News is what people who take their news seriously are looking for?
Look, the ratings numbers do not lie. If Fox news was the decadent lying short seller of news that the Left says it is, Fox News would have gone out of business long ago.

Fox is where right-leaning people go for their news, because they are more apt to hear what will justify their own political leanings. Same with MSNBC. And Fox and MSNBC accommodate their respective audiences.
And your response to the high ratings for Fox would be...?

And your response to the high ratings for Fox would be...?

Bush & Cheney.

It tells you where the public's real interests lie when watching television...

This breaks down into 2 categories - 1.) those who don't give a crap and 2.) those who get their news elsewhere (internet, conversations with friends, newspapers, magazines, etc.)...

Rarely does "news" or "news commentary" occupy my screen... There are plenty of sources for me to to stay informed and educated on current events....

TV is for entertainment in my house...

BTW, House MD is on Monday nights... Don't forget to watch!

It's really too bad in what could have been an interesting discussion re the dumbing down of America dissolves into partisan bickering and sniping.

Evenmoreso when that evolves into unnecessary ad hominem and personal insults.

Tsk tsk.

I actually watched a little bit of Jersey Shore... OMG. People actually watch that garbage?

Yes, Fox News does separate itself from the others. They swing to the right just as far as MSNBC swings to the left. Viewers of Fox News look to the organization to delivery right wing rhetoric to reinforce their beliefs, not that dull news on the other channels. Yep, Fox News deliveries that daily dose of Glenn Beck to charge up those right wing batteries.
This is where you libs run into a road block.
You claim the people of the US reject conservatism and that your side is the popular side. Your side in your opinion is deserving of the majority on Capitol Hill because you believe your way is better. You also claim the conservative movement is dying.
That said, how do you explain the high ratings of Fox news is our side is in such a minority?
If anything Fox News swings away from the typical liberal drivel we get from the alphabets.
Fox News is most watched because that news organization is getting it right.
I see that you are another one in a long line of liberals who are incensed over the very existence of a competing news organization that refuses to tow the typical liberal line of the main stream media.
Your problem and that of the political Left is you believe Fox News has no right to exist.
As far your side is concerned Fox News takes the "real story" and pulls it away from the rightful presenters( those with your point of view) and presents it in a way that makes the viewer decide his or her opinion on the events of the day. This is difficult for your side to deal with and if you had your druthers ,you'd just rather not deal with it.
So your side goes on it's daily crusade to impugn Fox News.
News Flash. It's not working. FNC's ratings keep rising while the MSM evening national news casts, their news magazine shows and their Sunday AM political shows keep losing viewers.
The bottom line is the country has had it with Obama's attempt to push the country too far to the left. That is why FNC counts many people who label themselves as "independent" as loyal viewers.
Like it or not, believe it or not, The USA is basically a conservative country.
We are socially moderate and fiscally conservative. Always have been. Always will be.
There is no room for radical liberalism or radical conservatism.
Before you react to that last sentence....Ask yourself why just before every mid term and presidential election Evangelical Conservatives and Bible Thumping rightists are always threatening to sit out elections. Answer. These people are unwelcome in the mainstream conservative movement. Reason.....They frighten people.
Most viewers watch mainstream news on either ABC, NBC, CBS news. Fox News is the only right wing TV news channel so naturally it will have the highest ratings because it has no competition.
Ahh.....Nice try. Fox News beats all of the alphabets COMBINED during the hours of evening national news broadcasts. That would be when ABC, NBC and CBS air their national newscasts. The alphabets ARE Fox News' competition.
This does not apply to LOCAL newscasts which incidentally are not counted in NATIONAL ratings.
One more time....Fox News draws more viewers than the three other networks combined in national newscasts. In other words, when ABC CBS and NBC are airing their national evening newscasts, more people are watching Fox News than those three networks put together.

Forum List

Back