Dumbed down Americans

Good post, however I would like for you to name a single show on MSNBC that has anything but a far left host.
Morning Joe with Joe Scarborough.

Joe is a fiscal conservative but has MOSTLY liberal guests on his program. It is fun on occasion, to watch Pat Buchanan wipe up the floor with some of these liberals, albeit in a respectful manner.

You can count on Joe to spend 15 or 20 minutes every day making fun of a Republican, usually Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman, or some other social conservative that is running for office.

He also mentions a dozen times a day that we get out of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Now, you have covered the three hours from 6 to 9 AM. Can you name another conservative host for the next 21 hours?

No. It has an obvious liberal bias. Please feel free to list the long line of liberals on FOX.

Morning Joe with Joe Scarborough.

Joe is a fiscal conservative but has MOSTLY liberal guests on his program. It is fun on occasion, to watch Pat Buchanan wipe up the floor with some of these liberals, albeit in a respectful manner.

You can count on Joe to spend 15 or 20 minutes every day making fun of a Republican, usually Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman, or some other social conservative that is running for office.

Now, you have covered the three hours from 6 to 9 AM. Can you name another conservative host for the next 21 hours?

No. It has an obvious liberal bias. Please feel free to list the long line of liberals on FOX.

Alan Colmes
Greta VanSustern
Geraldo Rivera
Bob Beckel
Evan Bayh
Juan Williams

plus

dozens of lesser known names that are brought in to do commentary on news programs and on panels on the news magazines. It is rare for Fox to have a conservative guest on without a liberal guest as counter balance. And ANYBODY who is the focus of a news report or commentary is invited to come onto the program and will be given opportunity to provide their side of the story.

Last edited:

Alan Colmes
Greta VanSustern
Geraldo Rivera
Bob Beckel
Evan Bayh
Juan Williams

plus

dozens of lesser known names that are brought in to do commentary on news programs and on panels on the news magazines. It is rare for Fox to have a conservative guest on without a liberal guest as counter balance. And ANYBODY who is the focus of a news report or commentary is invited to come onto the program and will be given opportunity to provide their side of the story.

These people are liberal in your view? Okay...I think a great many people would disagree with you on nearly all of those names. Bayh is a contributor...I'm unaware of any show he hosts on Fox. Not sure who Bob Beckel is. I see JW on from time to time. Is Colmes still on TV?

Exactly right Traj. They saw a huge vacuum and filled it with almost unprecedented success. You can add up the ratings for all the other cable news groups combined, and Fox eclipses them all. Why? Because despite its faults, it does competently inform its listeners of the events of the day.

And you're also right about those going into journalism tilting left of center. They come out of journalism schools at universities that tilt left of center. They don't know they're left of center--they think they are centrists--because they aren't given opportunity to consider any other perspective than the left one.

And then those who will hire them and mentor them as they get on into their careers are also likely to be leftists who give the better stories, opportunities, face time, etc. to those who please them and that would be those who are leftists. So like conservative professors generally find an unwelcoming environment in most universities these days, conservative or even fully objective journalists are not finding welcoming environments in most news organizations.

Precisely my point. For a while they had Hannity and Colmes on (I'm guessing that was their attempt at balance)...a more partisan country and Colmes is suddenly gone. Theres a rise in conservatism supposedly in the country; hence Morning Joe is on MSNBC. Headline News had the incouragable (sp?) Glenn Beck on for a while. Decisions are made on how many eyes are going to show up; little else; either that or all of the greatest journalists in broadcasting seem to be passable for models all of the sudden.

We get the media we want. Blaming the fourth estate for an ill informed public is like blaming the dealer for someone's crack addiction.

I agree, so whats with the repeated fox bashing( not you oin general)? there's plenty for the left, whats the point? :eusa_eh:

Shit like this and having a mock debate where an actor plays President Obama doesn't help.

Fox Business host’s Obama White ‘Hizzouse’ commentary sparks more racism charges - Yahoo! News

hoods-fox-business.jpg

But it reinforces my point...Why do they do such nonsense? Because their viewers want to see it; MSNBC will have something equally as outrageous on soon as well. Just watch.

We get the media we want. And we get the government we deserve because you and I and whoever is reading this can turn the f**king dial and get actually informed if we wanted to; we don't so the news outlets that get eyeballs looking at them stage these theatrics.

Alan Colmes
Greta VanSustern
Geraldo Rivera
Bob Beckel
Evan Bayh
Juan Williams

plus

These people are liberal in your view? Okay...I think a great many people would disagree with you on nearly all of those names. Bayh is a contributor...I'm unaware of any show he hosts on Fox. Not sure who Bob Beckel is. I see JW on from time to time. Is Colmes still on TV?

You didn't ask for hosts. You asked for liberals. And yes all those people are left of center and all are regularly featured contributors at Fox except for Geraldo and Greta who host regular shows. As for the big news names, Brit Hume and Chris Wallace are both registered Democrats I believe. As for the other straight news people I don't have a clue whether they are Democrat or Republican, left or right, because no discernable bias can be detected. The contributors/commentators seem to be pretty evenly split between left and right.

Certainly left of center opinion is expressed and treated respectfully at Fox, but ALL their people are supposed to be professional and all have to speak the truth as well as they can and be able to back up what they say.

Last edited:
Alan Colmes
Greta VanSustern
Geraldo Rivera
Bob Beckel
Evan Bayh
Juan Williams

plus

You didn't ask for hosts. You asked for liberals. And yes all those people are left of center and all are regularly featured contributors at Fox except for Geraldo and Greta who host regular shows. As for the big news names, Brit Hume and Chris Wallace are both registered Democrats I believe. As for the other straight news people I don't have a clue whether they are Democrat or Republican, left or right, because no discernable bias can be detected. The contributors/commentators seem to be pretty evenly split between left and right.

Certainly left of center opinion is expressed and treated respectfully at Fox, but ALL their people are supposed to be professional and all have to speak the truth as well as they can and be able to back up what they say.

Really...Hannity said the WMDs were moved. He never backed it up. Would you like to do it with some citations? He also said WMDs were found 4 times as I recall. Bill O'Reiley claims to be an independent yet he's registered as a republican.

Oh hell in that case, Pat Buchanan is on the TV every morning with Joe Scarborough on MSNBC. They interview Repubs all the time on his show at least.

Honestly I don't watch MSNBC very often so I can't tell you the rest.

Arguing that FOX is some paragon of neutrality is pretty silly as it would be if you were making the argument that MSNBC was such a paragon.

To bring this to a close; I'll simply state this; we have media outlets that have a definite viewpoint and are open about it. They do it to get ratings; nothing more nothing less. As was evidenced by Fox's mock debate and "Hoods in the House" blast. MSNBC is not any better or worse with Olberman's "Worst Person in the World" BS.

The American public, however, has countless other avenues to get information and be informed.

Hence as I have said; we get the media we want and the government we deserve because in the end; it isn't the Press's job to hold the government accountable...it's our job.

A free press plays a huge part in our liberty, however. When the people who opt to function as journalists are dishonest and interested only in promoting their own viewpoint under the guise of reporting, we're in a world of hurt.

And that is what has happened.

I figured out newspaper journalists 20 years ago. I was stunned and disgusted by what I saw in the newsroom, with the result that I left that field and entered into human services (starting with juvenile detention. I prefer criminal and weak minded children to left wing yahoos posing as neutral pursuers of the truth). I returned periodically, for short stretches, and my opinion was not proven wrong, nor did the situation improve. I think the journalism field is poised for a commupence...but I don't know if it will make any different to us, as a nation,,,or to the world....at this point.

Really...Hannity said the WMDs were moved. He never backed it up. Would you like to do it with some citations? He also said WMDs were found 4 times as I recall. Bill O'Reiley claims to be an independent yet he's registered as a republican.

Oh hell in that case, Pat Buchanan is on the TV every morning with Joe Scarborough on MSNBC. They interview Repubs all the time on his show at least.

Honestly I don't watch MSNBC very often so I can't tell you the rest.

Arguing that FOX is some paragon of neutrality is pretty silly as it would be if you were making the argument that MSNBC was such a paragon.

To bring this to a close; I'll simply state this; we have media outlets that have a definite viewpoint and are open about it. They do it to get ratings; nothing more nothing less. As was evidenced by Fox's mock debate and "Hoods in the House" blast. MSNBC is not any better or worse with Olberman's "Worst Person in the World" BS.

The American public, however, has countless other avenues to get information and be informed.

Hence as I have said; we get the media we want and the government we deserve because in the end; it isn't the Press's job to hold the government accountable...it's our job.

CC, you threw in so many unsourced red herrings, straw men, and non sequiturs into that post, I won't even attempt to respond to statements made.

I would only encourage you to think about the difference between 'impartial' and 'fair and balanced', check out the ratings to determine which media groups are doing the better job of informing the public, and re-evaluate why that might be.

Those who choose an ideological tunnel vision will not be as well informed as those who avail themselves of different points of view. Fox provides opposing points of view better than any other primary media source is doing, and for that reason they are informing the public better than any other is doing right now. And their ratings reflect that. Are they or the people who work there perfect? No they are not. Are they without error? No they are not. Do they get it done better than anybody else is doing right now? Yes they do.

Those who don't spend any time reading newspapers or paying attention to what is going on in Congress and the world and and/or get their information mostly from ideologically prejudicial sources are going to be 'dumber' than the average American but they may be quite ideologically rabid. You see posters like that all over the internet.

Last edited:
Well, not quite on Obama's history. He's kept many, many things hidden, even today. He's one of the least transparent Presidents in history.

If it's hidden, how do you know it's hidden? :lol:

As for transparency, Obama doesn't have a familial history like the Bush name; he rose from State Senator to US Senator, and before that as you all delight in repeating, worked for the betterment of communities, plus did Constitutional law instruction at the University of Chicago. He doesn't really have many visible badges to flaunt. His background is really quite boring if adventure and action is what you look for in a candidate.

Surely you can't be serious. I'm sure you've seen all the documents Obama has paid lots of money to keep hidden. Here's a partial list:

• Passport files
  • University of Chicago Law School scholarly articles
  • Harvard Law Review articles
  • Harvard Law School records
  • Columbia University records
  • Columbia University senior thesis, "Soviet Nuclear Disarmament"
  • Occidental College records, including financial aid that he may have received
  • Punahou School records, where Mr. Obama attended from the fifth grade until he
  • finished high school
  • Noelani Elementary School records, where Barack Obama attended kindergarten
  • (according to the Hawaii Department of Education, students must submit a birth
  • certificate to register -- but parents may bring a passport or student visa if the
  • child is from a foreign country)
  • Complete files and schedules of his years as an Illinois state senator from 1997
  • to 2004
  • Obama's client list from during his time in private practice with the Chicago law
  • firm of Davis, Miner, Barnhill and Gallard
  • Illinois State Bar Association records
  • Baptism records
  • Obama/Dunham marriage license
  • Obama/Dunham divorce documents
  • Soetoro/Dunham marriage license
  • Soetero/Dunham Adoption records

You don't spend over a million dollars to keep things like this hidden unless you have something to hide. Surely the closed-door meetings concerning healthcare "reform" is enough to convince anybody except for the kool-aid drinkers that Obama speaks to his lack of transparency. And I'm sure you've seen this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzMas1bVidw]YouTube - ‪Brokaw and Rose Admit They Don't Know Much About Obama.‬‏[/ame]

There are plenty of other examples. The fact is the guy has little to no experience in the real world. America deserves better.

Where's your link? A million dollars? Puleeze. Prove it, by fact, not some fictional opinion piece. Some of that would ever be released via FOIA, by the way.

SO you've experienced the pleasantries of Guidos as well.
As a matter of fact, at the NJ SHore, the locals despise these day tripping out worlders. They refer to them as "Bennies" or "Vinnies".
"Jersey Shore" will hopefully die on the vine.

All to well. My neighbor, we'll call her Marion, got mad at me once and called her boyfriend over on me... his name was Sal and was all of 5'3" with the gold chains and the Vinnie Gumba warmup suit.
And probably yapped at you for 15 minutes about how many ways he was going to dismember you and your entire family.
Those fuckers were the biggest talkers on the planet.
I got into it with one of these pukes in high school. Of course he was with two of his buddies and talking like he was Rocky Marciano....I had an older brother who educated me well on these situations. Hit first. Talk about it later. As mr yappy guido was talking shit, I blasted him right on the button. He went down holding his schnoz. There was blood everywhere. First he pleaded with one of the other guidos to take revenge. They laughed their asses off. Then the north Jersey bleeder told me his father was going to take care of me. His dad liked me anyway....He coached me in baseball when I was a kid. His old man would have kicked his ass for getting beat in a fight.
And so was life growing with guidos...Free entertainment. Oh it got real funny right after "Saturday Night Fever" hit the theatres. Every one of these guido fucks though they were John Travolta.....

Aren't the Jersey yahoos almost exclusively Italian? So now you hate Italians because some of them act like jerks. But I submit that the "guidos" you are so amused by are only found in numbers in Jersey Shore regions and certain PA counties. My husband was from Philly and when we visited, the all-night Italian Clubs were found everywhere, so my exposure to their behavior was that it was limited to certain regions.

Well since this thread got derailed by the Fox vs. Every Other Media constant yammering, and since I personally don't intend to repeat MY opinions any more, although the usuals have reiterated their own as if we hadn't seen those opinions a gazillion times before, AND since it seems a possibility that the thread will be derailed in yet a different direction -- Obama's birth rights -- count me out.

Unsubscribing to my own thread. Off to a doctor appointment and a few tests to reveal whether or not I'll soon not even give a shit what happens.
sign0143.gif

A free press plays a huge part in our liberty, however. When the people who opt to function as journalists are dishonest and interested only in promoting their own viewpoint under the guise of reporting, we're in a world of hurt.

And that is what has happened.

I figured out newspaper journalists 20 years ago. I was stunned and disgusted by what I saw in the newsroom, with the result that I left that field and entered into human services (starting with juvenile detention. I prefer criminal and weak minded children to left wing yahoos posing as neutral pursuers of the truth). I returned periodically, for short stretches, and my opinion was not proven wrong, nor did the situation improve. I think the journalism field is poised for a commupence...but I don't know if it will make any different to us, as a nation,,,or to the world....at this point.

Yes, I can see that you definately prefer dealing with right wingnut people.:lol:

But the quandry is that the media is out to make money and they cover what the idiots want.
If they cover intelligent stuff their viewership goes down.
Just look at the Fox viewership numbers for instance.
Did it ever occur to you that Fox's numbers are so high because that organization covers the news in a way that separates itself from the others? Did it ever occur to you that the viewers of Fox News look to that organization to get away from the typical tripe of other news sources?.

Yes, Fox News does separate itself from the others. They swing to the right just as far as MSNBC swings to the left. Viewers of Fox News look to the organization to delivery right wing rhetoric to reinforce their beliefs, not that dull news on the other channels. Yep, Fox News deliveries that daily dose of Glenn Beck to charge up those right wing batteries.

why yes becasue beck is a news show!!!:rolleyes:

Did it ever occur to you that Fox's numbers are so high because that organization covers the news in a way that separates itself from the others? Did it ever occur to you that the viewers of Fox News look to that organization to get away from the typical tripe of other news sources?.

Yes, Fox News does separate itself from the others. They swing to the right just as far as MSNBC swings to the left. Viewers of Fox News look to the organization to delivery right wing rhetoric to reinforce their beliefs, not that dull news on the other channels. Yep, Fox News deliveries that daily dose of Glenn Beck to charge up those right wing batteries.

Beck does not have a news show. He does political, government, social, and historical review and analysis. To the best of my knowledge, his is the only daily program doing that.

Well since this thread got derailed by the Fox vs. Every Other Media constant yammering, and since I personally don't intend to repeat MY opinions any more, although the usuals have reiterated their own as if we hadn't seen those opinions a gazillion times before, AND since it seems a possibility that the thread will be derailed in yet a different direction -- Obama's birth rights -- count me out.

Unsubscribing to my own thread. Off to a doctor appointment and a few tests to reveal whether or not I'll soon not even give a shit what happens.
sign0143.gif

I see, well you engaged in the dive into foia and then, decided to make an argument in mitigation…… frankly, there is no answer, and I bet you know that.

obama was a candidate and front runner after the clubhouse turn and into the homestretch of the campaign and became pres., an foia for information has not been forthcoming,afawk, ala his Illinois rep. records and senatorial stretch, neither, have been requested and palins have.

You cannot square that circle. So we, get to be treated to a dumbing down ala the NY Times and Wapo the 2 biggest (print) influential media outlets in the country engaging any tom dick or Harriet so as to as quickly as possible chum the waters for gotchas….... meanwhile back at the Mensa center, Obama has been pres. For 2 years and influential beyond words for how much longer(?), he is running again, so yes, please do explain to me the 'dumbing’ down you were exactly referring to, did I miss it?

Beck does not have a news show. He does political, government, social, and historical review and analysis. To the best of my knowledge, his is the only daily program doing that.

I know;)

I don't see any criticism of MSNBC or CNN for parading one liberal pundit after another across the camera lens.
The issue here is Fox News gets higher ratings than the other channels. There's no denying that. You have no valid rebuttal to that fact. Anything else is just excuses and rhetoric.
BTW, no one ever stated the Glenn Beck Show was a "news" show.

Forum List

Back