Dumbed down Americans

The majority of military work centers I've been in around the world....have FOX News on the TV.

FOX News will report the good news out of Iraq and Afghanistan, whereas CNN and msnbc will cover it up....mostly reporting bad news from the war front.

Also, FOX News will report the bad things all politicians in DC do, whereas CNN and msnbc will only report Republicans and sometimes Democrats when they can't cover up the story like Weinergate. Most libs have no clue a Democrat from LA had money hidden in a fridge, Barney Franks' boyfriend ran a gay brothel in their apartment, Blagovich is actually a Democrat from IL, etc.

CNN reported this morning that the most visited sites on the Internet were for information on:

1. Anthony Weiner

2. Sarah Palin's emails

I hope it's just because it's Sunday morning.

Anthony Weiner is our 1st national Pervert--so no surprise here--:razz: If he wasn't in congress he would be one of those mall runners in a trench coat.

Sarah Palin can get the left wing media and liberals panties so tied up in a wad--that she can't sneeze without getting this type of attention. At least she did create 100 private sector jobs over this. Better than Barack Obama has done--LOL. The Washington Post is now looking for 100 deligent readers to go through these 22,000 emails.

It isn't so much a dumbed down America as a dumbed down media. If we had a media more interested in presenting ALL SIDES of the news in an impartial and objective and competent manner, we would have a much better educated electorate. Unfortunately, many representatives of the 'press' are almost as dumb as the people interviewed in those You Tube videos.

110609beelertoon_c20110609121917.jpg

We get the media we want; the government we deserve.

An actively informed citizenry is the primary cure to all of our problems.

I had a co-worker who was wondering why we just don't fire Jan Brewer; the governor of Arizona.

Ahem...fire the governor. It's called an election. Apparently he didn't know the way to go about removing a sitting governor.
When less than 1 in 2 care to vote much less care to get informed enough in the first place...you're going to have a government that looks a lot like the one we have, unresponsive, uncaring, and in a very real sense of the word, broke.

The media isn't doing that. The American People are.

The majority of military work centers I've been in around the world....have FOX News on the TV.

FOX News will report the good news out of Iraq and Afghanistan, whereas CNN and msnbc will cover it up....mostly reporting bad news from the war front.

Also, FOX News will report the bad things all politicians in DC do, whereas CNN and msnbc will only report Republicans and sometimes Democrats when they can't cover up the story like Weinergate. Most libs have no clue a Democrat from LA had money hidden in a fridge, Barney Franks' boyfriend ran a gay brothel in their apartment, Blagovich is actually a Democrat from IL, etc.

Well you incorrect in your assumption about news media coverage. When BUSH was in office--CNN and the rest of the left stream media would report all the bad new out of Afganistan and Iraq.

Now that Barack Obama is doing a BUSH--these same media outlets are reporting all the GOOD news out of Afganistan and Iraq.

$Obama--cnn-msnbc-cbs--nbc.gif

It isn't so much a dumbed down America as a dumbed down media. If we had a media more interested in presenting ALL SIDES of the news in an impartial and objective and competent manner, we would have a much better educated electorate. Unfortunately, many representatives of the 'press' are almost as dumb as the people interviewed in those You Tube videos.

:lol: excellent, I have to steal that FF thx;)

then the media should do the country a service and stop covering it........:lol:

I agree. But I do have to wonder if large numbers of people actually realize there are more important things going on in this country and that it doesn't take long to find information on those priorities right on the Internet everyone loves so much. But it seems many just don't care, and that's disturbing.

Well you incorrect in your assumption about news media coverage. When BUSH was in office--CNN and the rest of the left stream media would report all the bad new out of Afganistan and Iraq.

Now that Barack Obama is doing a BUSH--these same media outlets are reporting all the GOOD news out of Afganistan and Iraq.

View attachment 13670

Do you watch CNN or MSNBC on a regular basis?

CNN reported this morning that the most visited sites on the Internet were for information on:

1. Anthony Weiner

2. Sarah Palin's emails

Here's the biggest problem:
American educators received a wake-up call today when it was revealed that students in Shanghai rank number one globally in reading, math and science, far outpacing their American peers. Despite modest gains in math and science, the U.S. continues to lag behind other developed countries.

China Debuts at Top of International Education Rankings - ABC News
Is it any wonder that Obama sends his kids to private schools?

Nope.

The clown in the red shirt is you....a fraud parading as right-wing people.

The libs were caught with emails telling their people to go pretend to be Tea Party members to shame the Tea Party....so you're full of shit.

Whenever there is a rally right-wing or left-wing....libs are there doing something because you have nothing else to do in life.

Yeah, that's it. :lol:

1. Anthony Weiner

2. Sarah Palin's emails

Here's the biggest problem:
American educators received a wake-up call today when it was revealed that students in Shanghai rank number one globally in reading, math and science, far outpacing their American peers. Despite modest gains in math and science, the U.S. continues to lag behind other developed countries.

China Debuts at Top of International Education Rankings - ABC News
Is it any wonder that Obama sends his kids to private schools?

What do you expect? We have kids spending ten years in college, finally graduating with degrees in General Studies, Black Studies, Women's Studies and the like.

And then there are home-schooled bigots...

We get the media we want; the government we deserve.

An actively informed citizenry is the primary cure to all of our problems.

I had a co-worker who was wondering why we just don't fire Jan Brewer; the governor of Arizona.

Ahem...fire the governor. It's called an election. Apparently he didn't know the way to go about removing a sitting governor.
When less than 1 in 2 care to vote much less care to get informed enough in the first place...you're going to have a government that looks a lot like the one we have, unresponsive, uncaring, and in a very real sense of the word, broke.

The media isn't doing that. The American People are.

I disagree. The media could return to doing its intended job which is to inform and educate the American people without bias and without prejudice. If it would be that, unscrupulous politicians would be far less able to deceive and manipulate the people and we would again start electing people who would be far less likely to expect to be able to do that.

When most of the mainstream media sets itself up as the promotion agent for the left, and when there is dedicated effort to destroy or demonize the one prominent media outlet that does not do that, we will not have a well informed electorate.

Last edited:
then the media should do the country a service and stop covering it........:lol:

But the quandry is that the media is out to make money and they cover what the idiots want.
If they cover intelligent stuff their viewership goes down.
Just look at the Fox viewership numbers for instance.

I think the Fox numbers beat the pants off everybody else combined because they DON'T spend a lot of time on partisan rants, sex scandals, and Sarah Palin. So most people with a brain are tuning in there to find out what's going on in the world. Those who WANT a lot of partisan rants, sex scandals, and implied scandal re Sarah Palin watch the others.

A huge chunk of people aren't tuning in anywhere, however. Which accounts for so many grown people not knowing who the Vice President is or who the Speaker of the House is or which party is the majority. I think if the Founders had ever in their wildest dreams thought grown Americans would become so brain washed or so ignorant or so ill informed, they might have written some kind of voters test into the Constitution. Something that would verify that the voter knew at least who the candidates were before letting them into the voting booth.

For me it's PBS News Hour, BBC America, NPR & the internet, including stuff posted by you people post here at USMessageBoard. I don't have time for much else, and I consider myself fairly well informed.

The responsibility for being informed or not lies with the individual. Sure the corporate media menu makes it harder with their one sandwich for all appetites approach, but the internet makes being informed possible.

:eusa_think: I suppose if you ARE aware of what's going on in the world, you have the added responsibility to get out there and influence as many sheeple as you can.

(insert your preferred Deity here) bless the USMessageBoard!

That's mostly true about the media. However, I don't blame the media when the generations under 50 have cellphones glued to their ears, thumbs constantly texting, and whose knowledge of contestants on American Idol far exceeds their knowledge of American history, American economics, American geography. They get diverted only by sex scandals (Weiner) or potential scandals (Palin's emails). I won't be around long enough to see any serious repercussions that are surely imminent, but I hope parents and the educational communities wake up soon and deal with this massive problem of lack of basic knowledge.

Illiteracy - Major U.S. Problem

They're not dumb, they're well paid to present the information that their owners want presented, how their owners want it presented and limited to what their owners want presented.

Corporate owned media is no more a free press than is state owned media.

Thank (insert your preferred Deity here) for the internet.

Speaking as a former but very active member of the media, I can assure you, however, that the corporate owners exercise very little editorial influence on the media outlets they own. When Rupert Murdoch for instance launched Fox News, he almost certainly hired a rightwing CEO who would provide an alternative to all the other television/cable media outlets that were all leftwing. And he set the standard that all newscasts would be balanced with perspective from all ideological sides. Fox has held to that standard pretty darn well. Editorially, more rightwing than leftwing. But in the newscasts, you'll get both sides (which most leftwingers then conclude is slanted rightwing. :))

But Murdoch doesn't tell the news managers what stories to run or what slant to put on them.

The CEO of General Electric, when GE owned NBC and its affiliaites, at one point ordered the managers to say nothing negative about Barack Obama or his administration. Of course that drove NBC far left from where it had been but they obeyed the order. He didn't, however, tell them what stories to run or what slant to put on them.

Now that Comcast has taken over the NBC family, I've seen a decided editorial shift away from the far radical left. And their numbers are coming up as a result even though they still tilt left.

The problem with Fox, CNN, and all the alphabet networks is that they no longer do much of anything really in depth. They give the public 30 second soundbites of this and that and the public has learned to prefer to get information in that way and as a result is a far less well educated public. As polarizing and sometimes despised figure as Glenn Beck is, he was the one exception. He did some deep research and provided competent, in depth perspective on a lot of stuff. But he's leaving. And there will be nobody to do that anywhere except the occasional documentary program that most people no longer take time to watch.

OUTFOXED: Clips & Trailer

When I want straight news, I go to one of the networks. They only have about 20 minutes out of their half-hour and don't have time to editorialize.

Where on earth did you get that idea? Talk about being dumbed-down...

Reword: Where on earth did you get the idea that libs didn't know?

They're not dumb, they're well paid to present the information that their owners want presented, how their owners want it presented and limited to what their owners want presented.

Corporate owned media is no more a free press than is state owned media.

Thank (insert your preferred Deity here) for the internet.

Speaking as a former but very active member of the media, I can assure you, however, that the corporate owners exercise very little editorial influence on the media outlets they own. When Rupert Murdoch for instance launched Fox News, he almost certainly hired a rightwing CEO who would provide an alternative to all the other television/cable media outlets that were all leftwing. And he set the standard that all newscasts would be balanced with perspective from all ideological sides. Fox has held to that standard pretty darn well. Editorially, more rightwing than leftwing. But in the newscasts, you'll get both sides (which most leftwingers then conclude is slanted rightwing. :))

But Murdoch doesn't tell the news managers what stories to run or what slant to put on them.

The CEO of General Electric, when GE owned NBC and its affiliaites, at one point ordered the managers to say nothing negative about Barack Obama or his administration. Of course that drove NBC far left from where it had been but they obeyed the order. He didn't, however, tell them what stories to run or what slant to put on them.

Now that Comcast has taken over the NBC family, I've seen a decided editorial shift away from the far radical left. And their numbers are coming up as a result even though they still tilt left.

The problem with Fox, CNN, and all the alphabet networks is that they no longer do much of anything really in depth. They give the public 30 second soundbites of this and that and the public has learned to prefer to get information in that way and as a result is a far less well educated public. As polarizing and sometimes despised figure as Glenn Beck is, he was the one exception. He did some deep research and provided competent, in depth perspective on a lot of stuff. But he's leaving. And there will be nobody to do that anywhere except the occasional documentary program that most people no longer take time to watch.

OUTFOXED: Clips & Trailer

When I want straight news, I go to one of the networks. They only have about 20 minutes out of their half-hour and don't have time to editorialize.

uhm what? they most certainly "editorialize" and in the worst way imaginable.

And then there are home-schooled bigots...

Home schooled kids run rings around the gubmnt edumacated dolts.

What evidence do you have that they are bigots?

that's right . . . . none.

Isn't the definition of "bigotry" drawing conclusions about people based on their membership in some group without knowing a thing about them personally?

1. Anthony Weiner

2. Sarah Palin's emails

Anthony Weiner is our 1st national Pervert--so no surprise here--:razz: If he wasn't in congress he would be one of those mall runners in a trench coat.

Sarah Palin can get the left wing media and liberals panties so tied up in a wad--that she can't sneeze without getting this type of attention. At least she did create 100 private sector jobs over this. Better than Barack Obama has done--LOL. The Washington Post is now looking for 100 deligent readers to go through these 22,000 emails.

Palin brings the attention to herself intentionally; she begs for the attention. Are you kidding?

palin-2012-.jpg

Forum List

Back