Does anyone really care if it shuts down?

Firehorse

Free Thinker
Sep 4, 2011
As a TPer, this would actually play into what I want. It's rather 'hardball' in my book, but sense the government isn't doing anything anyway, what's wrong with shutting it down? It would stop descretional spend and the checks would still go out to those that need them. I don't have plans to vacation in a national park at this time .... I'm really having a hard time seeing the downside in a temporary government shutdown.

I'm sure someone will enlighten me to the downside. What is it, if there is one

you're having trouble understanding because you're very young or very stupid

I take it by your responce that you don't see one either ... Youcould have just said that, instead of pointing out that you fit into the same catigory as me

If its hardball and you see there is NO downside then it isnt hardball is it?

Still no answers detailing the downside ... Is there one?

Many of us eschew that whole teaching pigs to sing thing, FH.

If we sensed that you were sincerely interested in having an intelligent discussion about this subject we'd bother to respond.

But given your past posting history?

Our TrollDAR scopes are pinging.

Not trolling, asking. Someone went to so length to discribe what the congress has accomplished in the last number of weeks and it basically amounted to naming building. I for one believe that the government can go without those vital naming abilities for a few weeks without undo harm to the country.

If they are not doing anything as several posts and topics have pointed out, then again, I don't see the downside in locking the doors.

Can someone ... Without a partison viewpoint ... Point out what the downside is? I only know of the park system being shut down. I know when a state government shuts down the only true "felt effect" to the general public is the state licences cannot be issued or renewed (liquer, building .. Etc)

What is the "felt effect" to the general public of a government shutdown?

Not trolling, asking. Someone went to so length to discribe what the congress has accomplished in the last number of weeks and it basically amounted to naming building. I for one believe that the government can go without those vital naming abilities for a few weeks without undo harm to the country.

If they are not doing anything as several posts and topics have pointed out, then again, I don't see the downside in locking the doors.

Can someone ... Without a partison viewpoint ... Point out what the downside is? I only know of the park system being shut down. I know when a state government shuts down the only true "felt effect" to the general public is the state licences cannot be issued or renewed (liquer, building .. Etc)

If the government doesn't pay its bills, the economic slowdown would be felt by everyone. Got a business? Try surviving without the money spent by people on Social Security, for example.

See the above emboldened from your post?

That's the sort of thing that makes our TrollDAR ping, dude.

If the government doesn't pay its bills, the economic slowdown would be felt by everyone. Got a business? Try surviving without the money spent by people on Social Security, for example.

The bills would still be paid though wouldn't they? Our taxes would still be deducted from our checks. I was in military during Clinton shutdown, I still got paid ... It was my understanding at the time that other fed empolyees also were paid (though the check were held until shutdown was ended, was that not the case? (it was awhile back, my memory isn't that great) and as I said, I was in military so I didn't actually "feel the shutdown" as the gerneral public would have.

Isn't there laws in place to say ... "these things must be paid with the money tgat is still coming in"?

Listeria deaths linked to Colorado cantaloupe, for one.

And how many is that, Wry? Listeria, e. coli, and similar pathogens have a pretty low mortality rate as I recall. Airbags have probably killed more people, but are mandated nonetheless. Big Government doesn't care about those deaths; why care any more about these? After all, the regulation I just pointed out indisputably HAS killed people (NHTSA even admits that), just to pacify the insurance lobby (and ostensibly "for the greater good"). Let's hear it. I happen to think forcing government to live within its means is worth even more "collateral damage" than that, to be honest about it.

As a TPer, this would actually play into what I want. It's rather 'hardball' in my book, but sense the government isn't doing anything anyway, what's wrong with shutting it down? It would stop descretional spend and the checks would still go out to those that need them. I don't have plans to vacation in a national park at this time .... I'm really having a hard time seeing the downside in a temporary government shutdown.

I'm sure someone will enlighten me to the downside. What is it, if there is one

There really is no downside. It has happened before and here we are, all fine. You see horror sells, so the news has to make you believe that your Grandma will die, and GI Joe (Jane) wont get paid and all the poor people will starve. Its all a lie pushed by both sides To rile the base and nothing more.

Without a partison viewpoint

Other then me saying I'm a TPer, what in my post would suggest my political leanings? What post have I ever made that attacks anyone (otger tgen saying tgat so and so is crying and whining like a baby? I don't attack people (unlike a great many people here) the very next post on this topic attacked me ... Did I attack back? No. I asked for someone to state the downside instead of attacking the poster.

I want to know the REAL effect of a shutdown. That is not a partisan issue, shuting down of a government building or agency is not a partisan issue. By the above statement I was saying "I don't want "the sky will fall" posts ... I want actual facts on what will happen

If that is trolling then I'm guilty as charged ... But I still would like to know

Listeria deaths linked to Colorado cantaloupe, for one.

And how many is that, Wry? Listeria, e. coli, and similar pathogens have a pretty low mortality rate as I recall. Airbags have probably killed more people, but are mandated nonetheless. Big Government doesn't care about those deaths; why care any more about these? After all, the regulation I just pointed out indisputably HAS killed people (NHTSA even admits that), just to pacify the insurance lobby (and ostensibly "for the greater good"). Let's hear it. I happen to think forcing government to live within its means is worth even more "collateral damage" than that, to be honest about it.

I don't know what "big government" cares about; I suspect the investigators and scientists at the FDA and CDC do care about these deaths as do the loved ones who lose a parent or child.

This entire Tea Party anti government movement is absurd; the New Right which seems to be running the House of Representatives (and the nation) has taken a good idea (fiscal responsibility) to the outer limits. To use an apt cliche, "penny wise and pound foolish".

Last edited:

The bills would still be paid though wouldn't they? Our taxes would still be deducted from our checks. I was in military during Clinton shutdown, I still got paid ... It was my understanding at the time that other fed empolyees also were paid (though the check were held until shutdown was ended, was that not the case? (it was awhile back, my memory isn't that great) and as I said, I was in military so I didn't actually "feel the shutdown" as the gerneral public would have.

Isn't there laws in place to say ... "these things must be paid with the money tgat is still coming in"?

You've changed the goalposts. To me "government shutdown" means just that, NOTHING happens. If it's shut down, who's going to be sending out the checks anyway?

Shut it down! The sun will still rise tomorrow, the sky will not fall, the nation will not collapse, daily life will go on, and a a lot of Americans will discover that they can actually survive without government holding their hand, and telling them what to do; what a concept! Who knows, they may actually start to LIKE it! The only people really afraid of this are politicians and regulatory bureaucrats(God forbid we find out how unnecessary they REALLY are!), and true believers in the Nanny state, who expect government to wipe their snotty noses for them. Shut it down, and everyone will soon realize what else was in that "free lunch" they THOUGHT government was giving them. Give the poisonous "flavoring" a chance to get out of their system, and they'll finally understand what that free lunch actually tastes of. They'll have less appetite for it than before, I think.

Without a partison viewpoint

Other then me saying I'm a TPer, what in my post would suggest my political leanings? What post have I ever made that attacks anyone (otger tgen saying tgat so and so is crying and whining like a baby? I don't attack people (unlike a great many people here) the very next post on this topic attacked me ... Did I attack back? No. I asked for someone to state the downside instead of attacking the poster.

I want to know the REAL effect of a shutdown. That is not a partisan issue, shuting down of a government building or agency is not a partisan issue. By the above statement I was saying "I don't want "the sky will fall" posts ... I want actual facts on what will happen

If that is trolling then I'm guilty as charged ... But I still would like to know

Belgium has had no government for over a year. It been noted as a new world record, yet no news coverage. Why no news ? because everything is fine. No rioting in the streets, no long lines of starving people waiting for a bowl of soup, no crying children. As a matter of fact, the Belgians are for the most part having a blast with it. Here is what I assume is a Belgians blog on the matter

EU for US: Still no government

Since 2000, talking politics in this country has just been a pain in the ass. I think a shut down would be just fine, might even help the general public find its sense of humor again.

Forum List

Back