Does anyone really care if it shuts down?

If the government doesn't pay its bills, the economic slowdown would be felt by everyone. Got a business? Try surviving without the money spent by people on Social Security, for example.

The bills would still be paid though wouldn't they? Our taxes would still be deducted from our checks. I was in military during Clinton shutdown, I still got paid ... It was my understanding at the time that other fed empolyees also were paid (though the check were held until shutdown was ended, was that not the case? (it was awhile back, my memory isn't that great) and as I said, I was in military so I didn't actually "feel the shutdown" as the gerneral public would have.

Isn't there laws in place to say ... "these things must be paid with the money tgat is still coming in"?

You've changed the goalposts. To me "government shutdown" means just that, NOTHING happens. If it's shut down, who's going to be sending out the checks anyway?

there wouldn't be any checks.

because no money would be collected.

our debts would go unpaid.

our military would go unpaid and would not have supplies.

only a braindead loon thinks that's ok.

I have not changed the goal post. The media and everyone is talking about a "government shutdown" because of the current impass. That is the shutdown that I am talking about. What would the effect be? If that means that on the very next day that FICA will not be deducted from my pay, then say it. If it means all service members would be let go from the obligations to the military because the government can't pay them, then say it.

If there is no real effect, then say it. All the doors to federal building will be locked, say it. If the postal service will stop delivering, say it. If we will fail to pay on our national debt, say it

what is so hard to understand about my question? What is the real effect (aka, downside) to the government shutdown that this impass may cause?

The bills would still be paid though wouldn't they? Our taxes would still be deducted from our checks. I was in military during Clinton shutdown, I still got paid ... It was my understanding at the time that other fed empolyees also were paid (though the check were held until shutdown was ended, was that not the case? (it was awhile back, my memory isn't that great) and as I said, I was in military so I didn't actually "feel the shutdown" as the gerneral public would have.

Isn't there laws in place to say ... "these things must be paid with the money tgat is still coming in"?

You've changed the goalposts. To me "government shutdown" means just that, NOTHING happens. If it's shut down, who's going to be sending out the checks anyway?

there wouldn't be any checks.

because no money would be collected.

our debts would go unpaid.

our military would go unpaid and would not have supplies.

only a braindead loon thinks that's ok.
Last time Clinton and Gingrich went head-to-head, the military got paid. And, they would get paid again. Little would change in those disbursements. Those are just the facts.

The Military would not be affected so one half of the federal government's responsibility "to provide for the common defense" would be in place. The second part of the government's responsibility "to promote the general welfare" would be improved if the federal government gets the hell out of the way for about a month. It's a win win situation. Send the E.Pee.A. home for about six months, shut down the US Dept. of Education, fire the criminals in the ATF who sold 2,000 automatic weapons to Mexico, table the pork projects for a couple of months and then see how well everyone is doing.

I have not changed the goal post. The media and everyone is talking about a "government shutdown" because of the current impass. That is the shutdown that I am talking about. What would the effect be? If that means that on the very next day that FICA will not be deducted from my pay, then say it. If it means all service members would be let go from the obligations to the military because the government can't pay them, then say it.

If there is no real effect, then say it. All the doors to federal building will be locked, say it. If the postal service will stop delivering, say it. If we will fail to pay on our national debt, say it

what is so hard to understand about my question? What is the real effect (aka, downside) to the government shutdown that this impass may cause?

Nothing will stop, your taxes will be collected, and life will go on. It just does not make good TV to say otherwise. Doing a quick forum search will bring all the same responses to the exact same question.

I think I HAVE been saying it. NOBODY, military, SS beneficiaries, government workers, etc. would get paid. What you're talking about sounds like "federal workers taking a holiday", but even in that case, who'd be writing the checks? It may sound great, "no one writing checks", but you have to realize that those checks are spent at local businesses. With fewer customers some of their bills won't get paid. YES, we'd ALL feel the effects, eventually.

Last edited:
As a TPer, this would actually play into what I want. It's rather 'hardball' in my book, but sense the government isn't doing anything anyway, what's wrong with shutting it down? It would stop descretional spend and the checks would still go out to those that need them. I don't have plans to vacation in a national park at this time .... I'm really having a hard time seeing the downside in a temporary government shutdown.

I'm sure someone will enlighten me to the downside. What is it, if there is one

it would be the best thing that could happen

I think I HAVE been saying it. NOBODY, military, SS beneficiaries, government workers, etc. would get paid. What you're talking about sounds like "federal workers taking a holiday", but even in that case, who'd be writing the checks? It may sound great, "no one writing checks", but you have to realize that those checks are spent at local businesses. With fewer customers some of their bills won't get paid. YES, we'd ALL feel the effects, eventually.
The military would get paid, but don't let facts get in the way.

Ok ... With eots thinking it's a good thing, I think I'll have some reservations about the shutdown (joking ... I love your hardheadness eots).

Some are saying that nobody will get paid and basically the sky will fall, we will default etc and the otherside saying that nothing noticable will happen.

I prefer to believe that the truth is someplace in the middle. I was in the Navy during the Clinton shutdown (dealing gadaffi ironically) and I happen to remember that I did in fact get paid and I remember that Fed employees also got paid (though is was delayed). The idea that people won't get paid is false.

I know that doors will not be locked (though it would be nice to padlock the whitehouse [just kidding, don't over react]) because the House and Senate would still have to meet to end the shutdown. I'm equially sure that the sky did not fall I remember a period of prosperity during the Clinton days, so the claims of the economcy (and the sky) falling.

So ... Were there, during the Clinton shutdown, provisions made to pay the military (special funding or whatever) seniors and postal delivery (of those vital checks) and other vital things or was there really simply no effect at all?

Again, I'm asking seriously. I was in my late teens and overseas at the time, I want to know what actually happened by someone that was alive and remembers

When it shuts down (if) it seems "essential" services continue to be funded. Police, firemen, military, postal service, corrections, utilities and air traffic controllers ... Social security checks do go out because they don't require congressinal action to do so, they are automatically funded (new claims were not processed because of government layoffs)

The only thing I found that was closed were state parks, monuments and museums .... And toxic waste sites were not cleaned during the shutdown of 95-96.

That ... At least to me ... Doesn't sound too terribly bad

The military would get paid, but don't let facts get in the way.
Some just don't underastand that by LAW the flow has to continue.

It is a scare tactic aimed at the moochers.

As a TPer, this would actually play into what I want. It's rather 'hardball' in my book, but sense the government isn't doing anything anyway, what's wrong with shutting it down? It would stop descretional spend and the checks would still go out to those that need them. I don't have plans to vacation in a national park at this time .... I'm really having a hard time seeing the downside in a temporary government shutdown.

I'm sure someone will enlighten me to the downside. What is it, if there is one

Honest question here. Would you have ever asked this during bush's eight years? I am being serious here. What were your thoughts on Bush when he was destroying our country? Remember how close we came to a depression? Where you vocal back then? If so, mad respect...if not, you being a bagger means nothing.

I would worry if I lived next to a toxic waste site ... But then nobody should be living next to one of those ... I can here the news now

government shutdown targets the poor (who else would live next to a toxic waste site), the true Americans in this country (again who else would go to our national parks and monuments) and the upper class elite (they go to museums)

such evil TPers

Honest question here. Would you have ever asked this during bush's eight years? I am being serious here. if there was about to be a shutdown, yes, I would have asked. Many people here see this as a partison issue, like I'm attack one party or another. I honestly do not see how that is. A government shutdown effects dems and pubs identically. The purpose of this thread was exactly as stated ... What are the effects, what are the downsides ... I honestly did not know until the answers started coming in how .... Opposite ... The two parties look at the issue

What were your thoughts on Bush when he was destroying our country?I didn't see it that way at the time. I was just emerging from the deep poor and I looked at a job that had me personally prospering. I was wrapped up in my own euphoria of having a good job, to worry about the "bigger picture"

Remember how close we came to a depression? Yes, see next question.

Where you vocal back then? First term, no. I was deep on the "poor" catagory and was mostly interested in survival. Second term, yes actually I was. I was working at a place that had mostly republicans (in Texas) and the policies were literally killing the business. They would say "isn't he great" and I would respond "his policies just cost us another contract" ... I was not civically active if that's your question (being anti-bush is Texas was dangerous enough)

It looks as if a shutdow as of October 1 has been averted:

Congress poised to avert government shutdown - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Anyway, the people you don't want getting money would still be getting it. And vice versa. I worked for the VA in 96 and everyone thought the nurses were getting paid, but we weren't.

That's the Senate bill ... The one without offset spending cuts I believe. The House rejected that once already. Never know though.

As for you not getting paid. That sucks. I read today about the 96 shutdown and it said specifically VA hospitals were funded ... History is not being kind to you. I'm glad you made it through alright

Not trolling, asking. Someone went to so length to discribe what the congress has accomplished in the last number of weeks and it basically amounted to naming building. I for one believe that the government can go without those vital naming abilities for a few weeks without undo harm to the country.

If they are not doing anything as several posts and topics have pointed out, then again, I don't see the downside in locking the doors.

Can someone ... Without a partison viewpoint ... Point out what the downside is? I only know of the park system being shut down. I know when a state government shuts down the only true "felt effect" to the general public is the state licences cannot be issued or renewed (liquer, building .. Etc)

What is the "felt effect" to the general public of a government shutdown?

If the government doesn't pay its bills, the economic slowdown would be felt by everyone. Got a business? Try surviving without the money spent by people on Social Security, for example.

We have been over this a million times. The Government can pay those obligations out of the Regular Tax Revenue taken in each month. They would have to cut other non Vital Spending. It's only Obama that Claims if you don't pass it, I will have to not send out SS checks. Nothing but scare tactics.

Besides, if a Government shut down means no SS checks go out, then it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt SS is a Ponzi scheme. The God Damn Money for SS benefits is suppose to be in a TRUST fund, waiting to be paid out, not part of the General Budget.

Honest question here. Would you have ever asked this during bush's eight years? I am being serious here. if there was about to be a shutdown, yes, I would have asked. Many people here see this as a partison issue, like I'm attack one party or another. I honestly do not see how that is. A government shutdown effects dems and pubs identically. The purpose of this thread was exactly as stated ... What are the effects, what are the downsides ... I honestly did not know until the answers started coming in how .... Opposite ... The two parties look at the issue

What were your thoughts on Bush when he was destroying our country?I didn't see it that way at the time. I was just emerging from the deep poor and I looked at a job that had me personally prospering. I was wrapped up in my own euphoria of having a good job, to worry about the "bigger picture"

Remember how close we came to a depression? Yes, see next question.

Where you vocal back then? First term, no. I was deep on the "poor" catagory and was mostly interested in survival. Second term, yes actually I was. I was working at a place that had mostly republicans (in Texas) and the policies were literally killing the business. They would say "isn't he great" and I would respond "his policies just cost us another contract" ... I was not civically active if that's your question (being anti-bush is Texas was dangerous enough)

Thank you for your answer. Now, my follow up question to you is, when EXACTLY did the tea party start?

I have props to the people who actually cared what was happening BEFORE Obama took over. Think about when the party started. This is why I have no respect for that party now.

They got Sick of government spending the day Obama took over...not before. if they said something before Obama, they would be called unamerican. Notice how this works...

Now, my follow up question to you is, when EXACTLY did the tea party start?

I have props to the people who actually cared what was happening BEFORE Obama took over. Think about when the party started. This is why I have no respect for that party now.

They got Sick of government spending the day Obama took over...not before. if they said something before Obama, they would be called unamerican. Notice how this works...

I'm going to answer the question from my personal standpoint. I don't know when the Tea Party started. I know that my "discontent" with what was going on started during Bush. The Patriot Act was a major wakeup call for me. I don't like my freedoms stepped on. I didn't like the spending that was going on, but it was freedoms that I didn't like, there were other things Bush did to step on the Constitution that I didn't like (overstepping his executive power)

I didn't vote for Obama but I was full of hope like most people. He didn't serve in the military, so I didn't vote for him. Had he served, I would have voted voted for him because he was a "voice of change"

The final straw with me was obamacare. How dare he tell me what I have to do? The more I learned the more I realized that the whole population of DC had lost their freakin minds ... The spending continued, the debt kept growing, he kept passing laws that people simply didn't want ... They really had lost there ever loving minds

So here I am

I don't care about any of them. They have all added to the debt and the "we make the rules and the people dance" mantality in DC, they all have to go. They are endangering my daughters future, nothing else matters

I think the perception of the tea party starting at the Inauguration is simply because that was very close to TARP (I know it was Bush). TARP was Huge and right after he hear "I'm for change, I'll stop this crap" so we vote him in and we get Obamacare

The timeline shows steady discontent growing with Bush (remember ... No one wanted him to campain with them) ... Then a spike upward of "hope and change" and from the high spike the reality of Obamacare and the crash ... That's all within a year (or close to it) ... You can't build up that much hope and crash it so quickly without a anti government movement starting up

The Tea Party ... Obama didn't start it, but he is the final straw

New Topics

Forum List

Back