CDZ Do your political or religious beliefs prevent you from enjoying stuff ?

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Books,films, music and so on.

As an example.

The films of John Wayne. Wayne was a conservative so would that deter you from watching his films.

Bruce Springsteen - Do his political thoughts prevent you from enjoying his music ?

Is Dickens too liberal for you ?

Were you glad Tom Hanks died in Philadelphia ?

Do you find older westerns difficult to watch when they skew history ?

Do you laugh helplessly when you watch Mel Gibsons Patriot ?

Is Gone With the Wind incredibly dated ?

Does the religion or politics of the artist affect your enjoyment ?

You know, for the longest time, 2 of my favorite rock and roll tunes were Great White Buffalo and Free For All by Ted Nugent.

When Nugent went full blown crazy in his rabid support of all things conservative, I stopped listening to his music. But, then a couple of months later, I reviewed my feelings towards him, and although I can't stand him as a person, I still liked those 2 songs.

Now? If I don't agree with the person, but still like the work they produce, I enjoy the thing I liked before, even if I have no use for the person anymore.

Even though Mel Gibson is bat shit crazy, I still love the movie Braveheart.

The only thing that I really have difficulty sitting through is I Love Lucy. I don't hate it; it is simply from a different era. Ya know, I am not espwaining chit. I also can't listen to Ted Nugent. That took a long time coming though. It's like he forgot to just shut up and play.

As an example.

The films of John Wayne. Wayne was a conservative so would that deter you from watching his films.

Bruce Springsteen - Do his political thoughts prevent you from enjoying his music ?

I wont every listen to the Dizzy Chicks, Bruce Springbrain, and others like him/them, because they decided to put their politics before their careers, and showed how much they hate the US while reaping the millions of dollars that the US allowed them to amass. Goes with movies too..When you hit idiots in the wallet, eventually idiots will keep their politics to themselves..

CNN.com - Dixie Chicks pulled from air after bashing Bush - Mar. 14, 2003

As an example.

I wont every listen to the Dizzy Chicks, Bruce Springbrain, and others like him/them, because they decided to put their politics before their careers, and showed how much they hate the US while reaping the millions of dollars that the US allowed them to amass. Goes with movies too..When you hit idiots in the wallet, eventually idiots will keep their politics to themselves..

What about Ted Nugent, Mel Gibson and Clint Eastwood? Those guys put politics before their careers as well. Oh wait.....................you only quit entertainers when they disagree with you. If their politics are aligned with yours, you love them.

As an example.

What about Ted Nugent, Mel Gibson and Clint Eastwood? Those guys put politics before their careers as well. Oh wait.....................you only quit entertainers when they disagree with you. If their politics are aligned with yours, you love them.
Those guys werent bashing the United States..

As an example.

I'm a big fan of Punk Rock, and most of it leans left to far left.

When i band I like plays one of their overly political songs I disagree with I just hum along and wait for the better ones.

Same thing with Bruce, I'll take the political mush along with the good stuff, i just won't pay it any mind.

As an example.

You must hate the United States also....

As an example.

You must hate the United States also....

Really? I hate the USA? Then why did I give 20 years of my adult life to service in the military? It sure as hell wasn't to get rich, I can assure you.

I love a lot of the old westerns even though in almost all they're using weapons and other gear that hadn't been invented for the time being portrayed, using slang that was modern to the time of the filming and wearing clothing, hats and boots that did not exist during the time being portrayed.
You have history then you have Hollywood and in 99.9% of the cases the twain shall never meet so enjoy the movie for what it's intended to be, entertainment.

I love a lot of the old westerns even though in almost all they're using weapons and other gear that hadn't been invented for the time being portrayed, using slang that was modern to the time of the filming and wearing clothing, hats and boots that did not exist during the time being portrayed.
You have history then you have Hollywood and in 99.9% of the cases the twain shall never meet so enjoy the movie for what it's intended to be, entertainment.

An excellent example of what you are talking about is the movie Kelly's Heros in the form of the character Oddball. The movie is supposed to take place in WWII, but Oddball keeps talking like some 60's hippie surfer dude.

I find the blatant SJW pandering that shows up in a lot of entertainment to be annoying and yes, sometimes it turns me off from what might otherwise be enjoyable.

An excellent example of what you are talking about is the movie Kelly's Heros in the form of the character Oddball. The movie is supposed to take place in WWII, but Oddball keeps talking like some 60's hippie surfer dude.
Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning..........

As an example.

Because my bf won't watch films by people whose politics he can't stand and won't support, I have to watch some movies with other friends or family.

I cannot support my own party and fellow progressives on policies I believe violate Constitutional principles and beliefs of others.

So I do not enjoy or support political bullying and badmouthing going on in the media, in politics, and at party conventions that censor the people trying to solve problems on a universal level without all the backbiting and discrimination going on against people of other beliefs.

Can't stand that, can't get things done or word in to these party dominant systems that have overrun and run out the people who pay for the problems of govt.

My own bf does not like my political humor or solutions, he says he tries to be neutral; but it really takes more proactive support to get unifying solutions out there. Being passive and avoiding conflicts is not helping to solve them.

So I enjoy when I see solutions presented or represented in the media, whether fictionalized or factual. And I cringe when I see more onesided demonization and bullying that divides attention, foments hate bate and encourages more bullying by dominance or exclusion, and distracts from solutions instead of promoting them in ways that could unite people on more positive focus.

Could care less what a celebrity thinks on any issue. They are just paid actors or comedians. They typically have no understanding of the issues and simply parrot the usual soundbites. Most are mentally depressed anyway.
Make no mistake, they do this for the spotlight.

That being said, leaves me free to enjoy entertainment.
If it gets too preachy, I simply turn it off.

As an example.

1295180.png

Do your political or religious beliefs prevent you from enjoying stuff ?

Hell, no! Not these days, anyway.

The stuff I want to enjoy don't conflict with the political and theistic principles I embrace. How did that happen? No special "stuff," really; just doing what I'd been raised to do: discover the world, make sense of the world, determine what would be my place in it, and then set about securing that place.
  1. As a young person (~12 - 32), I obtained exposure to and studied a lot of ethical and moral issues, theologies, political stances, economic laws, principles, etc.
  2. As a somewhat older young person (~18 - 22), I formed preliminary principles and seek pursuits that are not anathematic to them. (At that point, one probably doesn't know one's principles are preliminary, but time will tell. I know I didn't think my principles then were preliminary.)
  3. As time passed (~24 - 35), I went through a process of principle challenging, principle refinement, more challenging, more refining, and so on, all the while "getting out more and more," that is to say, seeking and obtaining more information that bolsters and refutes one's principles, and obtaining new experiences that add perspective to them.
  4. As a "fully-fledged" adult (~33 - 45), settle into one's well considered principles and lifestyle. Continue the learning process and tweak, flex or discard and replace as it becomes incumbent upon one to do so. In other words, reconcile the body of one's principles.
That last step is the hard part. Sooner or later, that process forces one to accept that one's principles don't all go together, that there is no perfect set of principles. The hard part is (1) choosing which principle(s) to discard and which to retain, and (2) developing the fortitude and integrity to "own" the good and the bad that accompanies adhering to one's set of principles, which without question are going to have downsides.

One certainly can "cherry-pick" elements of various principles, or one can cherry-pick when to apply principles having comparable scope-levels. Either of those two option, good as they seem -- and there's no question that such so-called "selectivity" makes one feel like one's got the perfect set of principles -- necessarily makes one unprincipled, thus unpredictable, unreliable, and consequently, less trustworthy.

And, yes, when I was younger and still "figuring out stuff" and discovering who I am, I did and enjoyed things that didn't align with my principles.

Nobody wants to get bit by a rattlesnake, but being able to rely on the fact that it probably will is far better than being lulled into thinking otherwise and getting bit. So never forget to be as reliable as a rattler.
-- Granny (mine)​

As an example.

Much of what you've asked about pertains to how one "interacts" with works of fiction. At the end of the day, how upset can one in the 21st century get over fiction? It doesn't even make sense to do so. The 21st century isn't the 18th or before when social and political commentators having unorthodox/heterodox views and remarks they wanted to share had to write fiction because openly publishing and/or voicing their exceptions with the day's/monarch's normative stances might have wrought the crown's blade upon their necks

No. John Wayne was the actor not the character in the film.

No.

No novels strike me as too liberal or too conservative. That's especially so for fiction from very different times.

Fiction like Dickens', like editorials, doesn't generally attempt to present a dispassionate POV or set of conclusions or norms. As such, it's not hard to notice the social commentary, but take it for what it is rather than for making it be something it is not. For example, Carroll strikes me not as liberal or conservative, but rather as just sensible.

Here's another illustration of what I've been getting at above. Tom Hanks didn't die in Philadelphia. The character he played died. And, no, I wasn't glad the guy died. Whoever, aside from murderous psychopaths, is glad that someone dies?

No. It's fiction; they can romanticize the plot and its setting in whatever way they want.

No.

In some ways, yes, and yet to the extent it portrays an aspect of the human condition, not at all.

No. Not in the least.

Forum List

Back