CDZ Do you want to protect schoolchildren right now or not?

The school year is basically over or about to be over across the country, and summer vacation is upon us and the kids. So what can we do between now and September to make our schools safer? Let's be honest, there is no way a ban on assault weapons, however they are defined, is going to happen between now and then. We may have some form of bipartisan national gun control legislation at some point, but IMHO it ain't likely and probably not until after the election. Maybe some states will take action of some sort, but before September? I kinda doubt that, so is it not the best thing to do to make our schools safer and more secure in the meantime?

As I see it, one requirement is surveillance outside the school, is somebody headed this way? That means cameras and somebody to monitor them during the school day until the kids have all left. It also means a few security people outside the buildings while the kids are out there coming to school or going home or at recess. You can make the school buildings harder to get into but you have to be watchful for somebody who tries to shoot as many kids as possible before they get into the building or while they're leaving.

It seems to me that we've got to be more attentive to the troubled school kids too. If a kid is acting aggressively or abusively then they need to be identified and watched. Who is being bullied and who is doing the bullying. We gotta do better at stopping that crap before it gets to be a bigger problem. That means more surveillance and a few more counselors to work with the troubled kids, both victims and abusers. Parents have to be notified as necessary.

No doubt there are a number of things that can be done to improve school security. For instance, you can't leave an external door propped open, and those doors shouldn't be opened by shooting the locks. It seems to me that if properly installed and with proper training that arming teachers might not really be necessary if the bad guys can't get into the building and the cops are called sooner when trouble looks like it's headed towards one of our schools. 100 false alarms is better than 99 false alarms and one mass shooting.
Medicaid needs to be expanded in all 50 states; there can’t be serious proposals of mental health preemption/intervention with regard to school shootings if young adults don’t have access to affordable mental health treatment.

And? It is sad, and tragic but has nothing to do with this particular thread.......you are just trying to use emotional black mail to win a debate point.
Mental illness is
And always WILL BE
A MAJOR PROBLEM

NO GUNS on school property
Dumbest idea possible, when a shooter comes on campus somewhere and shoots the shit out of every kid he sees until he runs out of bullets, nobody will be able to stop him until the cops show up after dozens of kids are dead.

I honestly don’t think they care. You are looking at people so messed up they aren’t going to think about consequences and might even want to be killed in the process.

I think the crazies go to GFZs because that's where they can shoot the most people until the cops or somebody with a gun shows up and stops him. Most are probably suicidal (death by cop) but they want to take as many others with them as possible because then everybody will know who they were. It's about rage and resentment, and they want a maximum body count as a result.

Dumbest idea possible, when a shooter comes on campus somewhere and shoots the shit out of every kid he sees until he runs out of bullets, nobody will be able to stop him until the cops show up after dozens of kids are dead.
Don’t care

KISS

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Any solutions need to follow this principle. They are usually the easiest to implement and cheapest.

I'd remind you that in about 50 years the number of school shootings IS NOT THAT HIGH.

That is reality. Everyone gets HYPER after this incident...........but when you have 330 million people. This will happen.

SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for the schools.........Nothing complicated or too expensive or it WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

There has always been bullying, that's a given and part of childhood. I like one person's idea here...make schools just like government buildings, security and metal detection.

There has always been bullying, that's a given and part of childhood. I like one person's idea here...make schools just like government buildings, security and metal detection.

Depends on what they can afford. Good security doesn't have to be all that expensive, maybe it boils down to what the community wants to do.

Also, bullying today is not just regulated to the playground, it is all over social media and kids are plugged into a huge circle of people who feed it and feed off it.

I don’t know how you can begin to address that.

That is the fault of parents who should be teaching their children how to communicate responsibly and chose the path of good in life.

Depends on what they can afford. Good security doesn't have to be all that expensive, maybe it boils down to what the community wants to do.

Simply stating that a school is training and arming some teachers and support staff...without giving the number or identity, is a massive deterrent to an attack.......these killers target gun free zones.......knowing there may be an armed good guy on site, without knowing who they are or where they are takes away the easy target for these killers.

That is the fault of parents who should be teaching their children how to communicate responsibly and chose the path of good in life.
Broken families
Simply stating that a school is training and arming some teachers and support staff...without giving the number or identity, is a massive deterrent to an attack.......these killers target gun free zones.......knowing there may be an armed good guy on site, without knowing who they are or where they are takes away the easy target for these killers.
In your opinion

But a mentally ill person doesn’t think logically

Do they?

Well, if you remove the GFZ designation and spread the word that the school has armed guards and security people without specifying the details, along with surveillance and cameras, that could go a long way towards deterring a shooter.

Well, if you remove the GFZ designation and spread the word that the school has armed guards and security people without specifying the details, along with surveillance and cameras, that could go a long way towards deterring a shooter.
Someone troubled enough to enter a school and shoot young children, knowing it will almost certainly end with his own demise as well, is unlikely to be "deterred" by "Beware of Dog" signs.

Someone troubled enough to enter a school and shoot young children, knowing it will almost certainly end with his own demise as well, is unlikely to be "deterred" by "Beware of Dog" signs.

You might be right, but if the shooter wants mass casualties and believes he'll be shot before he can do that, then he might choose another target.

Forum List

Back