CDZ Do you want to protect schoolchildren right now or not?

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
The school year is basically over or about to be over across the country, and summer vacation is upon us and the kids. So what can we do between now and September to make our schools safer? Let's be honest, there is no way a ban on assault weapons, however they are defined, is going to happen between now and then. We may have some form of bipartisan national gun control legislation at some point, but IMHO it ain't likely and probably not until after the election. Maybe some states will take action of some sort, but before September? I kinda doubt that, so is it not the best thing to do to make our schools safer and more secure in the meantime?

As I see it, one requirement is surveillance outside the school, is somebody headed this way? That means cameras and somebody to monitor them during the school day until the kids have all left. It also means a few security people outside the buildings while the kids are out there coming to school or going home or at recess. You can make the school buildings harder to get into but you have to be watchful for somebody who tries to shoot as many kids as possible before they get into the building or while they're leaving.

It seems to me that we've got to be more attentive to the troubled school kids too. If a kid is acting aggressively or abusively then they need to be identified and watched. Who is being bullied and who is doing the bullying. We gotta do better at stopping that crap before it gets to be a bigger problem. That means more surveillance and a few more counselors to work with the troubled kids, both victims and abusers. Parents have to be notified as necessary.

No doubt there are a number of things that can be done to improve school security. For instance, you can't leave an external door propped open, and those doors shouldn't be opened by shooting the locks. It seems to me that if properly installed and with proper training that arming teachers might not really be necessary if the bad guys can't get into the building and the cops are called sooner when trouble looks like it's headed towards one of our schools. 100 false alarms is better than 99 false alarms and one mass shooting.

The school year is basically over or about to be over across the country, and summer vacation is upon us and the kids. So what can we do between now and September to make our schools safer? Let's be honest, there is no way a ban on assault weapons, however they are defined, is going to happen between now and then. We may have some form of bipartisan national gun control legislation at some point, but IMHO it ain't likely and probably not until after the election. Maybe some states will take action of some sort, but before September? I kinda doubt that, so is it not the best thing to do to make our schools safer and more secure in the meantime?

As I see it, one requirement is surveillance outside the school, is somebody headed this way? That means cameras and somebody to monitor them during the school day until the kids have all left. It also means a few security people outside the buildings while the kids are out there coming to school or going home or at recess. You can make the school buildings harder to get into but you have to be watchful for somebody who tries to shoot as many kids as possible before they get into the building or while they're leaving.

It seems to me that we've got to be more attentive to the troubled school kids too. If a kid is acting aggressively or abusively then they need to be identified and watched. Who is being bullied and who is doing the bullying. We gotta do better at stopping that crap before it gets to be a bigger problem. That means more surveillance and a few more counselors to work with the troubled kids, both victims and abusers. Parents have to be notified as necessary.

No doubt there are a number of things that can be done to improve school security. For instance, you can't leave an external door propped open, and those doors shouldn't be opened by shooting the locks. It seems to me that if properly installed and with proper training that arming teachers might not really be necessary if the bad guys can't get into the building and the cops are called sooner when trouble looks like it's headed towards one of our schools. 100 false alarms is better than 99 false alarms and one mass shooting.
You make some good points. I favor a fence or other barrier with a single entry point, that is staffed with security. If that's good for the president, it's good for our kids. But, yes, recess and dismissal will be vulnerable times, once the mental defectives figure out that they can't just crash their pickup and walk in anymore.

Harden security around the perimeters of a schools and enable teachers and staff to carry guns if they wish and are properly trained.

The real first responders are the people already on site. If you have to call the police, they are the second responders.

Last edited:

If you want to protect kids and adults, it will take decades. So the very start of this protection is to scrap the main cause, the 2nd Amendment (but 99% of Americans know this). Once that is done, work can start on making guns and the gun culture safe.

I recall a time when Alex Jones insisted that all the security initiatives like fences were a UN plot to turn schools into FEMA prisons. Now we are freaking out that schools aren't locked down like prisons.

Protect the schools like they protect state houses and court houses.....
Borrow the money from what we are sending to Ukraine....

Nearly all the kids who commit these acts were bullied for a very long time before they finally snapped. For the life of me, I still can't figure out why adults, who are fully aware of what's going on, allow this to happen to kids under their charge when, if it happened to an adult, their bullys would be doing jail time.

I don't think you can get honest responses with loaded questions such as that.
But let's just see how it works?

For my own contribution put bluntly: Michael Moore has been hitting on the real problem since before his 'Bowling for Columbine'

Expect no change until Americans accept the truth.

Nearly all the kids who commit these acts were bullied for a very long time before they finally snapped. For the life of me, I still can't figure out why adults, who are fully aware of what's going on, allow this to happen to kids under their charge when, if it happened to an adult, their bullys would be doing jail time.
There's truth in what you say.
Then the 'culture' of the military and wars, provides an outlet those kids. Dressing up in their camo costumes and their choice of weapon makes their statement quite clear.

It’s a difficult problem to solve and it needs more than one approach. I agree with Task on one part, strongly, and that is paying attention to troubled youth and to getting help for them sooner rather than later.

But part of problem is that despite the exponential increase in school shootings, it is still a rare event when you consider how many public schools we have. Schools are also locally and state funded, with some having very little funding to even teach. ”Hardening” schools is expensive. In addition, the more people carrying guns in a school environment, the more likely it is that someone will have a lapse in judgement, leave a gun unsecured, etc. Not sure that is a good solution so probably best left up to the individual districts (parents and teachers).

Cameras are a good idea, and of course locking doors. Schools should have a security guard…after all, Malls do. Schools in more dangerous areas have metal detectors, require clear backpacks etc, but metal detectors are too expensive for every school and begs the question, why do we have to this? It isn’t solving the problem it’s just reacting to it.

I think one point needs to taken into account…high powered guns are much more accessible to youth, and guns and their accessories today are much more lethal than 50 years ago. You can’t ignore that.

Also, bullying today is not just regulated to the playground, it is all over social media and kids are plugged into a huge circle of people who feed it and feed off it.

I don’t know how you can begin to address that.

All your ideas come across as being quite sincere. Then you ran up against the roadblock by leaving the question unanswered.
.................... the question, why do we have to this? It isn’t solving the problem it’s just reacting to it.
There's only one reason why there is 'the problem'.
You've heard it from me many times by now.
Can you offer an alternative reason if you're going to reject mine?

Schools are also locally and state funded, with some having very little funding to even teach. ”Hardening” schools is expensive.

Well, you do what you can do. There's things you can do that aren't that expensive to keep the bad guys out of the school or deny them access to a classroom. You can barricade the door so a shooter can't get in for instance, if he has already entered the school building. The key IMHO is early recognition of a problem and denying entry if at all possible or denying access to the kids and that does not have to be costly. IMHO, the teacher doesn't really need a gun if he/she prevents a shooter's entry into the classroom. And it doesn't have to high-tech.

Right now I'm just thinking about the next 3 months. Maybe the state legislatures will fund some smart changes that work, or even the US Congress can fund security measures to the states. Do most schools already have security cameras? They ain't that expensive any more, plus monitors to watch and record movement. Somebody can be watching what's going on outside before the problem becomes a problem. Doesn't have to be a cop or even a guy with a gun if you can deny him entry into the school by locking the doors then you don't need a gun. But that means no propped doors, that can't happen. And no exterior doors that can be unlocked by shooting the glass. So, you need at least 2 people, one to monitor the possible threat outside and someone else to immediately check the external doors. And call the cops if the person looks suspicious. Better safe than sorry.

You make some good points. I favor a fence or other barrier with a single entry point, that is staffed with security. If that's good for the president, it's good for our kids. But, yes, recess and dismissal will be vulnerable times, once the mental defectives figure out that they can't just crash their pickup and walk in anymore.
Why don’t we just put school kids in PRISON?

Well, you do what you can do. There's things you can do that aren't that expensive to keep the bad guys out of the school or deny them access to a classroom. You can barricade the door so a shooter can't get in for instance, if he has already entered the school building. The key IMHO is early recognition of a problem and denying entry if at all possible or denying access to the kids and that does not have to be costly. IMHO, the teacher doesn't really need a gun if he/she prevents a shooter's entry into the classroom. And it doesn't have to high-tech.

Right now I'm just thinking about the next 3 months. Maybe the state legislatures will fund some smart changes that work, or even the US Congress can fund security measures to the states. Do most schools already have security cameras? They ain't that expensive any more, plus monitors to watch and record movement. Somebody can be watching what's going on outside before the problem becomes a problem. Doesn't have to be a cop or even a guy with a gun if you can deny him entry into the school by locking the doors then you don't need a gun. But that means no propped doors, that can't happen. And no exterior doors that can be unlocked by shooting the glass. So, you need at least 2 people, one to monitor the possible threat outside and someone else to immediately check the external doors. And call the cops if the person looks suspicious. Better safe than sorry.
All good ideas but you have to be careful about the games our politicians will play with their schemes to fill their pockets and the pockets of their supporters. Good sounding bills aren't always what they appear

All good ideas but you have to be careful about the games our politicians will play with their schemes to fill their pockets and the pockets of their supporters. Good sounding bills aren't always what they appear

View attachment 651914

True dat. If we can send billions to Ukraine then why can't we improve security at our schools? That oughta be priority #1 right now and it oughta be bipartisan.

AS SOON AS WE STOP MAKING IT A POLITICAL PARTY ISSUE, THE SOONER WE CAN START SHAREING INTELEGENT THOUGHTFUL IDEAS.

Locked doors with key card access for teachers for when the kids to out to recess......cameras at the rear and front entrance, with buzzer only access during the day.....if possible, shatter proof glass on any entrance door windows...

At a local school district they have police pull stations.....like fire alarm stations where you pull up the plastic cover and pull down on the lever, but instead of calling the fire department, it goes straight to the police station.....bypassing the delay of calling 911, and any cops in the building immediatly go to the school, as the cars in the area also converge on the school.....

Then throw in getting rid of gun free zones.......allow a few trained teachers and support staff to carry guns........doesn't have to be all that many, but it has to be known that there are armed people in the school...

Then, you allow parents going to the office, to drop off forgotten homework, lunches or picking kids up for appointments to simply carry their legal guns with them...instead of forcing them to leave them in their cars or at home...

The last two would prevent killers because they would never know how many armed people would be standing in their way...or where those people are......

If you want to protect kids and adults, it will take decades. So the very start of this protection is to scrap the main cause, the 2nd Amendment (but 99% of Americans know this). Once that is done, work can start on making guns and the gun culture safe.

Dipshit......you had the Cumbria shooting and the Plymouth shooting where 6 were killed last year......nothing stopped those guys from going to one of your public or private schools...you idiot....they just chose a different public place to murder people.....

You have nothing to teach us..

Forum List

Back