Do you pray every day?

How is making people feel good not doing anything? I don't think prayers make any difference in what happens in the world but I think that praying is very comforting for many people. I'd rather they pray than get drunk or shoot up.

Sure, it's doing something. It's making them feel good. And I agree with you, prayers don't make any difference in what happens in the world and praying is comforting for many people. I've agreed with that concept in this entire thread.

Prayer is not just for "self", or "self comfort", it's for others, more often than not. You think it doesn't do anything, but that is only because you do not believe in the One Whom answers them. If knew Him, then you would know that He indeed answers prayers according to His will.

The Bible says the prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (The righteous are those who know that Jesus Christ is Lord, not their "own" self righteousness) He alone is our Righteousness, as we all fall short. Here's the verse about the prayer..

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

I realize you don't believe it now, but one day you'll know. You may even be surprised at how much people care and have prayed for you. (Again, whether you believe or not)

Citing the bible as proof for the value of prayer is like citing a Tobacco company survey for the value of cigarette smoking.

I have seen enough in my life to know that there is no God. Nothing short of seeing him/her personally will change my mind.

Actually, I'm sometimes jealous of religious people. The benefits are real, albeit entirely in their heads. The belief that you will survive the death of your body in paradise surely makes your time on earth more pleasant, the fact that it's nonsense notwithstanding. And if it encourages people to be good to each other and do the right thing, that's a bonus for everyone.

You believe it's entirely in our heads that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior to all and that He answers prayers. However, have you ever asked Him (yes prayed to Him) and asked if He was indeed the Lord of all? (just wondering).

I mean, how would you know unless you go direct to the source (Him)?

What's hard sometimes for ppl who don't believe yet, is getting over that "wall" that they surely can ask and seek the Lord. He's God, so He knows when we are being honest.

And He has promised that when we seek Him with all our heart and soul, we will find Him.

Deut 4:28-29
28And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men's hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.
29But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul

Hey, thats a promise. Thing is, some people don't want to ask Him, as they are afraid He will answer, then they know they will be accountable to Him.

What the other "wall" to get over is, the lies of the enemy that God is some vengeful, hateful God, when rather He is the very definition of love. We all want love, need love; but like children, we don't like the discipline that comes with having a loving Father guide us.

I don't believe in god, therefore I don't believe Jesus was his son. I could of course force myself to go through the motions of praying, going to church, etc., but nobody can force belief. Since belief/acceptance is the only criteria for admittance to heaven, I would fail that test, even if I did perform all the actions a believer performs.

But, I believe that if I were judged on character, actions, good will towards others, etc; I would pass.

Yes, totally understand that. But I was asking if you ever tried asking Him with sincre heart, despite your unbelief. Don't you want to know?

Sure, it's doing something. It's making them feel good. And I agree with you, prayers don't make any difference in what happens in the world and praying is comforting for many people. I've agreed with that concept in this entire thread.

Prayer is not just for "self", or "self comfort", it's for others, more often than not. You think it doesn't do anything, but that is only because you do not believe in the One Whom answers them. If knew Him, then you would know that He indeed answers prayers according to His will.

The Bible says the prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (The righteous are those who know that Jesus Christ is Lord, not their "own" self righteousness) He alone is our Righteousness, as we all fall short. Here's the verse about the prayer..

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

I realize you don't believe it now, but one day you'll know. You may even be surprised at how much people care and have prayed for you. (Again, whether you believe or not)

Citing the bible as proof for the value of prayer is like citing a Tobacco company survey for the value of cigarette smoking.

I have seen enough in my life to know that there is no God. Nothing short of seeing him/her personally will change my mind.

Okies, well thank you for sharing. Can only try! :tongue:

Okies, well thank you for sharing. Can only try! :tongue:

Thanks for being civil about it! It's a nice change of pace on this site. Have a great day!

Why bother praying? Doesn't God have a plan for us all? What will praying do?

A Christian wouldn't have to ask that question.

Pray acknowledging He is God, and that you accept His gracious gift, Jesus Christ, as your Lord and Savior (Genesis 17:1, Romans 6:16-18).

Pray confessing our sins and accepting His forgiveness (Romans 3:23-26).

Pray that His will be done in our lives, that His Holy Spirit guide us, and that we be filled with the fullness of all God has for us.

Pray for (spiritual) understanding and wisdom (Proverbs 2:6-8, 3:5).

Pray with thanksgiving for all the ways He blesses us (Philippians 4:6). Pray when we are ill, lonely, going through trials or interceding for others (James 5:14-16, 2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

Pray to worship Him (Psalm 95:6-7).

All about prayer.

Amen :) And yes I pray. All different times, depends what's going on.

I pray several times a day..
I tell Him Thank you for all He's done and blessed me with
I pray for my friends and family...for whatever their needs are
I ask for forgiveness for my many sins..
The list goes on and on....praying gives me peace. God has answered soooooooooooooooo many prayers for me. Ever see a miracle happen? I have..it's AWSOME!

You sound so much like my son. I personally believe in a pre-tribulation Rapture. He doesn't really believe in any of it, although he's not really atheist...more agnostic. But, he did say that if all of a sudden millions of people disappear he'll think.."wow! mom was right!". I wish he wouldn't wait until then to accept God in his life, but you can't PUSH any religion on anyone and make them want it. They have to come to it themselves. But we as Christians need to at least put everything out there so they can hopefully one day realize their error and come to Jesus.

You sound so much like my son. I personally believe in a pre-tribulation Rapture. He doesn't really believe in any of it, although he's not really atheist...more agnostic. But, he did say that if all of a sudden millions of people disappear he'll think.."wow! mom was right!". I wish he wouldn't wait until then to accept God in his life, but you can't PUSH any religion on anyone and make them want it. They have to come to it themselves. But we as Christians need to at least put everything out there so they can hopefully one day realize their error and come to Jesus.

I know you probably only mean well but when needy clingy Christians get up in my face about coming to Jesus I sometimes wish they'd all be run over by a truck. I'd be glad for you if you come to the errror of your own ways but if you don't I'm certainly not going to point it out to you. I wish some proselytizing Christians could learn to repect boundries.

I used to pray everyday when I was younger (and by choice). Stopped around 17 years of age.

I am not singling out any religion. It makes people feel good but doesn't actually do anything. Therefore it's entertainment. You made the comparison to watching TV or playing video games. Nothing wrong with that. It is, what it is.
How is making people feel good not doing anything? I don't think prayers make any difference in what happens in the world but I think that praying is very comforting for many people. I'd rather they pray than get drunk or shoot up.

Good for you. It's false. But atleast you're consistant and honest about what you think and feel.

I would think that it would be wise to look to those who have had experience with prayer to learn about the effects of it rather than those who dont bother to pray. Seems more logical to me. I mean after all, if I wanted to learn about physics, I would go to the physicist, not the person who denied the existence of physics.

I've seen miracles. I've experienced them first hand. I've learned from the Holy Spirit that God is real. I've learnred from the Holy Spirit that Jesus is the Christ and that God does work among men. I've recieved enough revelation and seen enough miracles to know for certain that He is there even if I never see Him in the flesh.

We are all told that if we seek we will find. The problem is few bother to seek and many of those who do give up after barely scratching the surface of what's out there. I don't know what the Lord revealed what He has to me and not to everyone else. Perhaps I will understand someday. Maybe it's because i told the Lord I was willing to listen to Him and change my life accordingly. (Thank God He is patient).

There are alot of things I don't know and, while I hope to know many more things in this life, I likely won't. But I do know there is a God. I am a witness to Him. And if you pay attention, you will see miracles happen in your life. That's one of the blessings of living in an age that was foretold of from the beginning of man.

I know you probably only mean well but when needy clingy Christians get up in my face about coming to Jesus I sometimes wish they'd all be run over by a truck. I'd be glad for you if you come to the errror of your own ways but if you don't I'm certainly not going to point it out to you. I wish some proselytizing Christians could learn to repect boundries.

I completely understand what you're saying! Even though i am a Christian, i would NEVER condemn someone that isn't....or be pushy about trying to get you to "convert". All that does is turn people off and away from even considering coming to Jesus. I have many friends that aren't Christian, we respect eachothers ideas and get along great. I've had a couple friends that have started changing their ideas about us and asking more questions which i'm really excited about...i'll answer but never tell them what they should do, they know how i feel.

Pretty much every day.I meditate. Same thing I suppose.
Usually here, at the bottom of the farm.
A couple hits, .5-.75/ hour of relative silence, then dive in for a swim and back to work. Generally about 9.30 -11 AM.
I'm actually sitting in my rancho on my laptop now. The sun just came up and the falls are a 3 minute walk. Too cold this morning ( 62 or so)

Attachments

• $dougfall.jpg
    $dougfall.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 71

I would think that it would be wise to look to those who have had experience with prayer to learn about the effects of it rather than those who dont bother to pray. Seems more logical to me. I mean after all, if I wanted to learn about physics, I would go to the physicist, not the person who denied the existence of physics.

I've seen miracles. I've experienced them first hand. I've learned from the Holy Spirit that God is real. I've learnred from the Holy Spirit that Jesus is the Christ and that God does work among men. I've recieved enough revelation and seen enough miracles to know for certain that He is there even if I never see Him in the flesh.

We are all told that if we seek we will find. The problem is few bother to seek and many of those who do give up after barely scratching the surface of what's out there. I don't know what the Lord revealed what He has to me and not to everyone else. Perhaps I will understand someday. Maybe it's because i told the Lord I was willing to listen to Him and change my life accordingly. (Thank God He is patient).

There are alot of things I don't know and, while I hope to know many more things in this life, I likely won't. But I do know there is a God. I am a witness to Him. And if you pay attention, you will see miracles happen in your life. That's one of the blessings of living in an age that was foretold of from the beginning of man.

Why don't you tell me about 1 miracle you've personally witnessed. I can tell you about plenty of atrocities that could have used divine intervention, but nothing happened. No miracles, no god.

Why don't you tell me about 1 miracle you've personally witnessed..
This in my Jaccuzi. Nekkid. ?
:lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

• $jackijeep.jpg
    $jackijeep.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 69

Forum List

Back