Do you pray every day?

I appreciated EZ starting this thread.

And I wish a few friends, almost all of whom I really do like and enjoy, would not turn it into a food fight. Just my personal wish. And prayer. :)

When I have been the target of prayers, I have felt them. Sometimes when I have asked for prayers in advance of giving an important message or presentation, I have had to ask the prayer warriors to turn it off just before so that I won't be so emotional I can't deliver the message. :)

I have never had a 'burning bush' experience or handwriting on the wall or a big booming voice from heaven, but I have had His voice in my head as a result of prayer. It comes in subtle but recognizable ways--the answer coming for a question I could find no answer for; the solution to a problem that seemed unsolvable.

On my desk, I have the picture of a young girl I've never met but I have accepted responsibility for praying for her every day. I keep a list on the bulletin board beside my desk of people I want to mention in prayer as they deal with special issues in their lives. Some of those people are here at USMB.

Like most of you, my prayers are more like Tevya's conversations with God as he goes about his day (Fiddler on the Roof). But nobody who prays sincerely wanting to experience God will not experience God.

Last edited:
I pray before I meditate to set my motivation. I pray after I meditate to dedicate the merit of my meditative practice.

I pray to not make the same mistakes the next time. I pray in making aspirations for the highest good for myself and all others.

Are you saying praying is entertainment to Christians?

I am not singling out any religion. It makes people feel good but doesn't actually do anything. Therefore it's entertainment. You made the comparison to watching TV or playing video games. Nothing wrong with that. It is, what it is.

When I was in graduate school, I had a lot of friends from foreign countries. Some friends from India, in particular, used to watch the Christian Televangelists for entertainment. Then I started watching them and :lol:. This guy was my favorite:

Dammit. You know Im a sucker for fart jokes. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ok. Seems to be a waste of time then. People could be a lot more productive members of society of that used that praying time to do something beneficial for society.

So you want Christians to stop praying to be more productive and beneficial to the society?

How about you do what you want and Christians do what they want? You cool with that?

I don't want them to do anything, they can do whatever they want. I was just questioning what is the best use of time? Doing something that means nothing, or doing something that does.

like posting on message boards? :rofl:

Oh ok, entertainment value is a different story. Fair enough.

I am not singling out any religion. It makes people feel good but doesn't actually do anything. Therefore it's entertainment. You made the comparison to watching TV or playing video games. Nothing wrong with that. It is, what it is.
How is making people feel good not doing anything? I don't think prayers make any difference in what happens in the world but I think that praying is very comforting for many people. I'd rather they pray than get drunk or shoot up.

Why bother praying? Doesn't God have a plan for us all? What will praying do?

A Christian wouldn't have to ask that question.

Pray acknowledging He is God, and that you accept His gracious gift, Jesus Christ, as your Lord and Savior (Genesis 17:1, Romans 6:16-18).

Pray confessing our sins and accepting His forgiveness (Romans 3:23-26).

Pray that His will be done in our lives, that His Holy Spirit guide us, and that we be filled with the fullness of all God has for us.

Pray for (spiritual) understanding and wisdom (Proverbs 2:6-8, 3:5).

Pray with thanksgiving for all the ways He blesses us (Philippians 4:6). Pray when we are ill, lonely, going through trials or interceding for others (James 5:14-16, 2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

Pray to worship Him (Psalm 95:6-7).

All about prayer.

Amen :) And yes I pray. All different times, depends what's going on.

How is making people feel good not doing anything? I don't think prayers make any difference in what happens in the world but I think that praying is very comforting for many people. I'd rather they pray than get drunk or shoot up.

Sure, it's doing something. It's making them feel good. And I agree with you, prayers don't make any difference in what happens in the world and praying is comforting for many people. I've agreed with that concept in this entire thread.

Actually, I'm sometimes jealous of religious people. The benefits are real, albeit entirely in their heads. The belief that you will survive the death of your body in paradise surely makes your time on earth more pleasant, the fact that it's nonsense notwithstanding. And if it encourages people to be good to each other and do the right thing, that's a bonus for everyone.

Sure, it's doing something. It's making them feel good. And I agree with you, prayers don't make any difference in what happens in the world and praying is comforting for many people. I've agreed with that concept in this entire thread.

Prayer is not just for "self", or "self comfort", it's for others, more often than not. You think it doesn't do anything, but that is only because you do not believe in the One Whom answers them. If knew Him, then you would know that He indeed answers prayers according to His will.

The Bible says the prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (The righteous are those who know that Jesus Christ is Lord, not their "own" self righteousness) He alone is our Righteousness, as we all fall short. Here's the verse about the prayer..

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

I realize you don't believe it now, but one day you'll know. You may even be surprised at how much people care and have prayed for you. (Again, whether you believe or not)

Actually, I'm sometimes jealous of religious people. The benefits are real, albeit entirely in their heads. The belief that you will survive the death of your body in paradise surely makes your time on earth more pleasant, the fact that it's nonsense notwithstanding. And if it encourages people to be good to each other and do the right thing, that's a bonus for everyone.

You believe it's entirely in our heads that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior to all and that He answers prayers. However, have you ever asked Him (yes prayed to Him) and asked if He was indeed the Lord of all? (just wondering).

I mean, how would you know unless you go direct to the source (Him)?

What's hard sometimes for ppl who don't believe yet, is getting over that "wall" that they surely can ask and seek the Lord. He's God, so He knows when we are being honest.

And He has promised that when we seek Him with all our heart and soul, we will find Him.

Deut 4:28-29
28And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men's hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.
29But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul

Hey, thats a promise. Thing is, some people don't want to ask Him, as they are afraid He will answer, then they know they will be accountable to Him.

What the other "wall" to get over is, the lies of the enemy that God is some vengeful, hateful God, when rather He is the very definition of love. We all want love, need love; but like children, we don't like the discipline that comes with having a loving Father guide us.

You believe it's entirely in our heads that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior to all and that He answers prayers. However, have you ever asked Him (yes prayed to Him) and asked if He was indeed the Lord of all? (just wondering).

I mean, how would you know unless you go direct to the source (Him)?

What's hard sometimes for ppl who don't believe yet, is getting over that "wall" that they surely can ask and seek the Lord. He's God, so He knows when we are being honest.

And He has promised that when we seek Him with all our heart and soul, we will find Him.

Deut 4:28-29
28And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men's hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.
29But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul

Hey, thats a promise. Thing is, some people don't want to ask Him, as they are afraid He will answer, then they know they will be accountable to Him.

What the other "wall" to get over is, the lies of the enemy that God is some vengeful, hateful God, when rather He is the very definition of love. We all want love, need love; but like children, we don't like the discipline that comes with having a loving Father guide us.

I don't believe in god, therefore I don't believe Jesus was his son. I could of course force myself to go through the motions of praying, going to church, etc., but nobody can force belief. Since belief/acceptance is the only criteria for admittance to heaven, I would fail that test, even if I did perform all the actions a believer performs.

But, I believe that if I were judged on character, actions, good will towards others, etc; I would pass.

Forum List

Back