Do you believe there's aliens within 1,000 light years of earth?

Do you believe there's aliens within 1,000 light years of earth?

• Total voters
Warp factor

"Star Trek: The Original Series
In his initial draft proposal, Star Trek is..., Gene Roddenberry established the maximum velocity of the starship as ".73 of one light year per hour". This would translate to a top speed of approximately 6,400 c (equivalent to TOS warp 18.57, or somewhere between TNG warp 9.9 and 9.99)."

6,400 times the speed of light... and it would still take 396 years to reach our nearest neighbor-galaxy Andromeda.

It'd be depressing how large this Universe is if it weren't so beautiful.
kingdoms and empires have come and gone in less time.

The USA isn't that old, I'd guess most countries aren't that old.

can you imagine the kind of control, thought control, that would be needed to succeed?

dems, in the span of 50 years went from being fully against the government to demanding more government.

I don't think free humans could pull it off and the humans that got there wouldn't know what to do once they did reach a livable planet
Just because our species won doesn't mean the Neanderthal wasn't smarter. It knew not to have too many kids, wasn't prone to violence, didn't get diseases because it was clean, invented more advanced instruments tools and weapons.

But because it didn't breed fast enough and because we were violent, they went extinct.

Dolphins brains have been evolving for millions of years longer than ours. Maybe they are smarter than us.

So we may not even be the smartest thing to have ever walked this planet
neanderthals weren't near our level, it's an absurd consideration.

dolphins are limited by their body as to what they can consider to do.

sorry to disappoint, but we are the smartest.

Neanderthals were smart enough to breed with Homo Sapiens near the end. There's no reason to think they didn't see genetic advantages to it, much like mankind has been manipulating canine DNA for 30,000+ years.

I myself have about 2% Neanderthal DNA in my blood.

*Beams in Proud Caveman*

Warp factor

In his initial draft proposal, Star Trek is..., Gene Roddenberry established the maximum velocity of the starship as ".73 of one light year per hour". This would translate to a top speed of approximately 6,400 c (equivalent to TOS warp 18.57, or somewhere between TNG warp 9.9 and 9.99)."

6,400 times the speed of light... and it would still take 396 years to reach our nearest neighbor-galaxy Andromeda.

can you imagine the kind of control, thought control, that would be needed to succeed?

dems, in the span of 50 years went from being fully against the government to demanding more government.

I don't think free humans could pull it off and the humans that got there wouldn't know what to do once they did reach a livable planet
Just because our species won doesn't mean the Neanderthal wasn't smarter. It knew not to have too many kids, wasn't prone to violence, didn't get diseases because it was clean, invented more advanced instruments tools and weapons.

But because it didn't breed fast enough and because we were violent, they went extinct.

Dolphins brains have been evolving for millions of years longer than ours. Maybe they are smarter than us.

Neanderthals were smart enough to breed with Homo Sapiens near the end. There's no reason to think they didn't see genetic advantages to it, much like mankind has been manipulating canine DNA for 30,000+ years.

*Beams in Proud Caveman*
Im pretty sure the less smart of us traded wimmins for better tools and weapons and gave no thought that by having sex with them would make their kids smarter.

Warp factor

Sometimes I wonder if we've had more than one "Dark Age" in our past. Perhaps humanity is nothing more than a cycle of over-population and near-extinction.

With the way we've treated space, Columbus should have just kept to puttering around the Mediterranean after discovering the West Indies.
'Fraid not. We would find their land fills. None such exist for a technological civilization here on Earth.

Warp factor

Wrong. Neanderthals were very close or equal to our level in tools during the time we were co-existing with them.

Now look up the odds of us being the only life in our galaxy

If you were 18 and could get to another planet in 20 years, would you go? After you arrive it would take a year to get used to gravity but youd be up and running around pilgrim style by age 39.

And you have to take a wife and baby with you. The babies will be 22 when they arrive.

I would go.
You might not be able to land. You see, to be habitable, it would already have to have life. Enough life to be able to have an atmosphere with about 20% oxygen. And that would probably mean a lot of different biological organisms already producing proteins. Very good chance that we would be allergic to a lot of those proteins.

If you were 18 and could get to another planet in 20 years, would you go? After you arrive it would take a year to get used to gravity but youd be up and running around pilgrim style by age 39.

And you have to take a wife and baby with you. The babies will be 22 when they arrive.

I would go.
You might not be able to land. You see, to be habitable, it would already have to have life. Enough life to be able to have an atmosphere with about 20% oxygen. And that would probably mean a lot of different biological organisms already producing proteins. Very good chance that we would be allergic to a lot of those proteins.
We would send a probe to get a sample of the planet and have vaccines prepared for whatever the planet gave us.

If there were humanoid cavemen pre industrial revolution would you rule them? Q

Would you tell them about Christ?

If it had dinosaurs ID leave them a continent. Like I wish Africa was all lions tigers and hippos. No humans. No humans in the rain forest.

My planet would be mostly wind solar and green tech but an industrial revolution is inevitable

Warp factor

Wrong. Neanderthals were very close or equal to our level in tools during the time we were co-existing with them.
throw-able spears with crafted points v a stick with a broken rock on the end is not comparable

I would go.
We would send a probe to get a sample of the planet and have vaccines prepared for whatever the planet gave us.

If it had dinosaurs ID leave them a continent. Like I wish Africa was all lions tigers and hippos. No humans. No humans in the rain forest.

My planet would be mostly wind solar and green tech but an industrial revolution is inevitable
Hell yea

and no, I'd be a god to them

Warp factor

Sometimes I wonder if we've had more than one "Dark Age" in our past. Perhaps humanity is nothing more than a cycle of over-population and near-extinction.

With the way we've treated space, Columbus should have just kept to puttering around the Mediterranean after discovering the West Indies.
'Fraid not. We would find their land fills. None such exist for a technological civilization here on Earth.

Gobekli Tepe was built over 10,000 years ago by people who were supposed to be hunting and gathering.

Oddly enough, the land was filled in. lol

I would go.

Hell yea

I'll bet if you had a suit on with bright lights all over it, they mistake you for a glowing angel sent from the heavens to intervene on their behalf. I'll bet any piece of technology you used would be mistaken for magic too. ;)

Warp factor

*Beams in Proud Caveman*
Im pretty sure the less smart of us traded wimmins for better tools and weapons and gave no thought that by having sex with them would make their kids smarter.

I wouldn't put anything past them. The inter-breeding happened around the same time frame that mankind began manipulating the Canine gene pool to serve our will. Our ancestors knew how to selectively breed.

I would go.

Hell yea

I'll bet if you had a suit on with bright lights all over it, they mistake you for a glowing angel sent from the heavens to intervene on their behalf. I'll bet any piece of technology you used would be mistaken for magic too. ;)
Hell yea

I'd be the hammer carrying god and all the female worshipers would be my nails.

*Beams in Proud Caveman*

I wouldn't put anything past them. The inter-breeding happened around the same time frame that mankind began manipulating the Canine gene pool to serve our will. Our ancestors knew how to selectively breed.
our human ancestors, not neanders

*Beams in Proud Caveman*

our human ancestors, not neanders

Both are my ancestors. The Neanderthals live on through me. :afro:

I would go.

Hell yea

Hell yea

I'd be the hammer carrying god and all the female worshipers would be my nails.

I'd have a divine rubber chicken, and would not hesitate to slap people around with it.

Yes. I firmly believe that there is life outside Earth. There are billions of galaxies out there. There has to be one suited to host more life. Maybe there's life in some of the planets in our galaxy too. There's still a lot that's beyond our understanding.
Did you hear they found a planet in the habit able zone circling our nearest neighboring star. Maybe life isn't rare

Warp factor

Is that true IF we could go 6400 x the speed of light it would take 400 years? That's insane! How can we even possibly see that far??

The nearest star is 4.2 light years away. At the speed we can travel now that's only 18,000 years away.

Yep 2,537,000 light years to Andromeda, divided by 6,400 times the speed of light (and hopefully we've figured out artificial gravity by now, or we'll have to add extra time for acceleration and deceleration), comes out to roughly 400 years of travel time, and that's just to get TO the outer rim of Andromeda, much less explore it, seeing as it's 120% larger than the Milky Way (220,000 light years across).

Of all the technological glory and splendor of the Star Trek shows, it still only compares to the Bronze Age. The Milky Way may as well be the Mediterranean Sea.
Did you hear life may be just 18,000 years away! They found a planet in the habitable zone around our nearest star.

So if we could double our speed 9,000 is still ridiculously far. Even if we cut it down to 1000 years that's ridiculously far but if the ship and community living in it could survive for 1000 years I say go for it.

You really bummed me out putting the distance into perspective. Unfuckingbelievable

Warp factor

Is that true IF we could go 6400 x the speed of light it would take 400 years? That's insane! How can we even possibly see that far??

The nearest star is 4.2 light years away. At the speed we can travel now that's only 18,000 years away.

Yep 2,537,000 light years to Andromeda, divided by 6,400 times the speed of light (and hopefully we've figured out artificial gravity by now, or we'll have to add extra time for acceleration and deceleration), comes out to roughly 400 years of travel time, and that's just to get TO the outer rim of Andromeda, much less explore it, seeing as it's 120% larger than the Milky Way (220,000 light years across).

Of all the technological glory and splendor of the Star Trek shows, it still only compares to the Bronze Age. The Milky Way may as well be the Mediterranean Sea.
Did you hear life may be just 18,000 years away! They found a planet in the habitable zone around our nearest star.

So if we could double our speed 9,000 is still ridiculously far. Even if we cut it down to 1000 years that's ridiculously far but if the ship and community living in it could survive for 1000 years I say go for it.

You really bummed me out putting the distance into perspective. Unfuckingbelievable

Accelerating at 1g for the first 2.25 ly and decelerating at -1g for the second half, with a max travel speed of 0.1c could put people in orbit around Proxima Centauri in about 50 years or so.

Nuclear Fusion Rockets could make this a possibility and we already have the tech to make it happen, but even then, at 0.1c, we run into new issues like atomic sand particles raised to hate things like hull plating.

Forum List

Back