Do you believe there's aliens within 1,000 light years of earth?

• Total voters
The only thing we know about these planets is that they are in the "goldilocks zone". In our own solar system I believe Venus and Mars are in that zone that allows for surface water to collect.

We also know the radius of kepler planets as the transit method measures that as the planet transits the star...Most of the planets I listed in my op are below 1.5 times our radius. There's a lot to learn about them and will take decades or even centuries of research to find out the truth...On this you're 100% right about.

On the otherhand, I wouldn't put Venus in the habitable zone as it receives over twice as much solar flux as the earth!. Kepler-442 is around .66 of our solar flex, k2-72e is around .76 of our solar flex, Kepler 62e is around 1.2 of our solar flex(278k estimated), Kepler 62f is around .42 of our solar flex.

62f is more like mars but much bigger in size as 62f is a super earth, and likely with a thick atmosphere and a hot core for plate movement.

such that Flux(Venus) = 1370 x (1/0.72)2 = 1370 x 1.9 = 2643 W/m2

Venus thus receives almost twice as much solar flux as the Earth.

ATM S 211 - Notes

Extrasolar planets that receive twice the solar flux as earth are normally 320k or higher, which is too hot and if it developed a thick greenhouse atmosphere is probably a hell of a lot hotter.

I'd be amazed if life doesn't exist somewhere within a thousand light years of us. It probably exists on one of the ocean moons in our own solar system.
I believe you may be correct. Another candidate would be Jupiter. Life not as we know it. Plenty of organics, energy, different temperature and pressure gradients. I am absolutely sure that there are going to be plenty of surprises for us yet within our own solar system.

I wish we'd send sub like missions to moons like Europa, Callisto or Enceladus. These moons may have oceans hundreds of miles deep and the tidal forces caused by the giant planets likely are causing venting on the oceans floor. Life could develop in such places.

These are the places I'd expect to find life in our solar system.

Titan if we wish to possibly discover life not as we know it.

The only thing we know about these planets is that they are in the "goldilocks zone". In our own solar system I believe Venus and Mars are in that zone that allows for surface water to collect.

We also know the radius of kepler planets as the transit method measures that as the planet transits the star...Most of the planets I listed in my op are below 1.5 times our radius. There's a lot to learn about them and will take decades or even centuries of research to find out the truth...On this you're 100% right about.

On the otherhand, I wouldn't put Venus in the habitable zone as it receives over twice as much solar flux as the earth!. Kepler-442 is around .66 of our solar flex, k2-72e is around .76 of our solar flex, Kepler 62e is around 1.2 of our solar flex(278k estimated), Kepler 62f is around .42 of our solar flex.

62f is more like mars but much bigger in size as 62f is a super earth, and likely with a thick atmosphere and a hot core for plate movement.

such that Flux(Venus) = 1370 x (1/0.72)2 = 1370 x 1.9 = 2643 W/m2

Venus thus receives almost twice as much solar flux as the Earth.

ATM S 211 - Notes

Extrasolar planets that receive twice the solar flux as earth are normally 320k or higher, which is too hot and if it developed a thick greenhouse atmosphere is probably a hell of a lot hotter.

Certainly life only evolved on Earth because the core is largely iron and the magnetic field it produces around the Earth shields us from the nonstop Solar Wind. Planets that would support life would have to have specialized aspects to them like this. As iron is one of the more abundant elements after Hydrogen and Helium I would expect many planets to have iron cores. Life supporting planets would also have to habit the goldilocks zone around their star, where the tempurature is not too cold or too hot. Liquid water appears to be the most likely place for life to form. The huge number of planets in even one galaxy suggests there will be many habitable planets. Again though, how many have intelligent life that are in the 'enveloope' of development to either hear our calls or send one to us.

What a moment that would be though. "We've received a message from an intelligent form of life out of our solar system". Would be great to see that in one's life time.

Last edited:
Water is probably everywhere abundant.

71% is hydrogen, Helium is 23% and 1.04% oxygen(10,400/999,799 based on the chart)

Abundance of the chemical elements - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Abundance in the Universe for all the elements in the Periodic Table

Two atoms of Hydrogen combined with a atom of oxygen = one molecule of h20. The vast majority of the outer solar systems moons = high percentage of water. Mars has ice water, earth has water, etc.

Carbon is only 4,600 out of 999,799 the graph within our galaxy.

I'd imagine that any world that is big enough that is within the habital zone(doesn't matter how cold as ice is ice but probably upwards of 1.4 solar flex on the other end of the scale.) as some form of water(solid, liquid). So one could make a guess that some of these planets probably do have oceans. ;)

Last edited:

A few of the promising planets discovered so far that could have ALIENS on them! ;)
-G667Cc Gliese 667 Cc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Wolf 1061c and d Wolf 1061c - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Trappist 1c and d TRAPPIST-1d - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-K2-72e K2-72e - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Kepler-1229b Kepler-1229b - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Gliese 832c Gliese 832 c - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I expect that there's probably 20 times as many planets that are habital that could support life then what is above.

I believe chances are good that one or more of these planets has ALIEN life!

It may have a form of bacteria, but the chances of intelligent technically advanced life is small. Within 10,000 light years, it's almost guaranteed.

If there is any life outside of Earth, then it had to have originated here and sent into space. Fine-tuning theory states life is geared for Earth.

It depends on what you consider aliens

Is there some form of life the equivalent of slime within 1000 light years?
Probably

Is there an ET waiting to make contact with us?
Doubtful

Conditions to support life are very hard to come by. A relatively small climate shift can wipe out all life on the planet. Complex life is difficult to form, everything has to go right and extinction is so easy to occur

71% is hydrogen, Helium is 23% and 1.04% oxygen(10,400/999,799 based on the chart)

Two atoms of Hydrogen combined with a atom of oxygen = one molecule of h20. The vast majority of the outer solar systems moons = high percentage of water. Mars has ice water, earth has water, etc.

I'd imagine that any world that is big enough that is within the habital zone(doesn't matter how cold as ice is ice but probably upwards of 1.4 solar flex on the other end of the scale.) as some form of water(solid, liquid). So one could make a guess that some of these planets probably do have oceans. ;)

Water is a simple compound and probably exists throughout the universe

But finding a planet that can maintain liquid water between 0 and 100 Celsius consistently is difficult let alone one that maintains water between 0 and 30 Celsius where life can be maintained

If there is any life outside of Earth, then it had to have originated here and sent into space. Fine-tuning theory states life is geared for Earth.

That is a backasswards arguement. Life here is geared to the Earth, because it evolved here. And that life lives in a wide range of environments. From the high frigid peak in Antarctica to the hot metaliferous vents deep in the ocean. On another planet, life will evolve to fit conditions there. I am quite sure that we will find some surprises as to where life can evolve.

Fine tuning theory is bullshit. Earthlife is geared for Earth. That is stating the obvious.

But finding a planet that can maintain liquid water between 0 and 100 Celsius consistently is difficult let alone one that maintains water between 0 and 30 Celsius where life can be maintained

It doesn't even need to be between 0-30 Celsius. Look at the extremophiles around Hot Smoker vents on the ocean floor. The water is under tremendous pressure and temperatures near boiling and life thrives there.

We might even have life on Europa, Triton, Calisto, Ganymede, and Enceladus. If we can somehow have life based more around hydrocarbons than water, Titan is a good place to look.

I'd be surprised if life is only found on Earth in our own solar system, much less 1,000 ly of us.

If we have seriosly to discuss a hypothese like "snowball earth" - and we have to do so - then it seems to me the concept "habitable zone" is not worth the paper it's written on. a) Concrete life itselve seems to be nearly impossible - and b) there are in abstractions nearly endless possibilities. What is "a · b" if a->0 and b->∞? 1 or greater than 1? We don't know.

A few of the promising planets discovered so far that could have ALIENS on them! ;)
-G667Cc Gliese 667 Cc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Wolf 1061c and d Wolf 1061c - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Trappist 1c and d TRAPPIST-1d - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-K2-72e K2-72e - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Kepler-1229b Kepler-1229b - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Gliese 832c Gliese 832 c - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I expect that there's probably 20 times as many planets that are habital that could support life then what is above.

I believe chances are good that one or more of these planets has ALIEN life!

I voted yes because I believe that there is life even in our own solar system. But I suspect YOU mean sentient alien life, and my answer to that is a definite no.

It doesn't even need to be between 0-30 Celsius. Look at the extremophiles around Hot Smoker vents on the ocean floor. The water is under tremendous pressure and temperatures near boiling and life thrives there.

We might even have life on Europa, Triton, Calisto, Ganymede, and Enceladus. If we can somehow have life based more around hydrocarbons than water, Titan is a good place to look.

I'd be surprised if life is only found on Earth in our own solar system, much less 1,000 ly of us.
I wouldn't call it thriving

What we are looking for is conditions in which a complex creature can develop

Forum List

Back