Embryonic gene Nanog reverses aging in adult stem cells

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The fountain of youth may reside in an embryonic stem cell gene named Nanog.

In a series of experiments at the University at Buffalo, the gene kicked into action dormant cellular processes that are key to preventing weak bones, clogged arteries and other telltale signs of growing old.

The findings, published June 29 in the journal Stem Cells, also show promise in counteracting premature aging disorders such as Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.

"Our research into Nanog is helping us to better understand the process of aging and ultimately how to reverse it," says Stelios T. Andreadis, PhD, professor and chair of the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at the UB School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and the study's lead author.

Honestly, I'd only want to live if we as a nation keep finding extrasolar planets, going to other worlds and tracking the weather, climate and history of our planet. If we're going to become a bunch of religious fundies just kill me now!

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The fountain of youth may reside in an embryonic stem cell gene named Nanog.

In a series of experiments at the University at Buffalo, the gene kicked into action dormant cellular processes that are key to preventing weak bones, clogged arteries and other telltale signs of growing old.

The findings, published June 29 in the journal Stem Cells, also show promise in counteracting premature aging disorders such as Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.

"Our research into Nanog is helping us to better understand the process of aging and ultimately how to reverse it," says Stelios T. Andreadis, PhD, professor and chair of the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at the UB School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and the study's lead author.

Honestly, I'd only want to live if we as a nation keep finding extrasolar planets, going to other worlds and tracking the weather, climate and history of our planet. If we're going to become a bunch of religious fundies just kill me now!

status quo-----fret not

Forum List

Back