Do you believe there's aliens within 1,000 light years of earth?

• Total voters

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

A few of the promising planets discovered so far that could have ALIENS on them! ;)
-G667Cc Gliese 667 Cc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Wolf 1061c and d Wolf 1061c - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Trappist 1c and d TRAPPIST-1d - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-K2-72e K2-72e - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Kepler-1229b Kepler-1229b - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-Gliese 832c Gliese 832 c - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I expect that there's probably 20 times as many planets that are habital that could support life then what is above.

I believe chances are good that one or more of these planets has ALIEN life!

It's highly likely there is life on another planet or moon somewhere within that vast distance. Will we ever be able to prove it? No.

A few of the promising planets discovered so far that could have ALIENS on them! ;)

I expect that there's probably 20 times as many planets that are habital that could support life then what is above.

I think chances of life within our own galaxy are low. But the entire universe, with 100 Billion galaxies - very likely.

The big, as yet unanswered question about these possible life bearing world's are: what's their CO2 levels

There are likely many other planets in our galaxy that have life on them, but intelligent life that is either putting out radio or other signals or receiving what we put out is unlikely or we would have heard something. Unless there is something that interferes with signals reaching us or them.

Life on Earth started about 3.5-4.0 billion years ago and it has taken that long for intelligent life to evolve. Other planets that might have intelligent life on them but are say only a few hundred years behind us in technology would have nothing to send out or receive signals on. On the other hand any more advanced life would have been looking for us as well. SETI has been operating for 50 years and nothing. I wonder what the odds are of the syncing up, on a time scale of evolution, and/or development of intelligent life on various planets in our galaxy. I've never seen data on that.

We may find thousands or millions of planets with microbial life on them but nothing else. I do think they are out there.

Aliens within a thousand light years, huh. Haven't you seen our two presidential candidates?

They walk among us.

How "intelligent" could non-Earth life be?
Perhaps some aliens somewhere in our universe could have evolved to the level of "god" in comparison to us humans.

I'd be amazed if life doesn't exist somewhere within a thousand light years of us. It probably exists on one of the ocean moons in our own solar system.

Matthew, you're not particularly bright.

There MAY be simple life of other planets, but intelligent life (ie ALIENS) is highly unlikely.

You live in a fantasy world.

Matthew, you're not particularly bright.

There MAY be simple life of other planets, but intelligent life (ie ALIENS) is highly unlikely.

You live in a fantasy world.

Alien life is any life that's not from Earth. You're the one not fully comprehending the meaning of the word. Maybe you should have your shit aligned next time you want to be a pretentious asshole.

There are likely many other planets in our galaxy that have life on them, but intelligent life that is either putting out radio or other signals or receiving what we put out is unlikely or we would have heard something. Unless there is something that interferes with signals reaching us or them.

Life on Earth started about 3.5-4.0 billion years ago and it has taken that long for intelligent life to evolve. Other planets that might have intelligent life on them but are say only a few hundred years behind us in technology would have nothing to send out or receive signals on. On the other hand any more advanced life would have been looking for us as well. SETI has been operating for 50 years and nothing. I wonder what the odds are of the syncing up, on a time scale of evolution, and/or development of intelligent life on various planets in our galaxy. I've never seen data on that.

We may find thousands or millions of planets with microbial life on them but nothing else. I do think they are out there.

Of course we've only been broadcasting for about 80 years so we've only sent a signal out as far as 80 light years, our galaxy is 100,000 light years across.

Edit: Add to this if we were to receive a response it would take the same amount of time coming back as going out so we would only have heard from any intelligent life within 40 light years. Since we've been listening for 50 years this would mean we've only really been in a position to hear a response for ten years.

Last edited:
The only thing we know about these planets is that they are in the "goldilocks zone". In our own solar system I believe Venus and Mars are in that zone that allows for surface water to collect.

Of course we've only been broadcasting for about 80 years so we've only sent a signal out as far as 80 light years, our galaxy is 100,000 light years across.

Edit: Add to this if we were to receive a response it would take the same amount of time coming back as going out so we would only have heard from any intelligent life within 40 light years. Since we've been listening for 50 years this would mean we've only really been in a position to hear a response for ten years.
We've been broadcasting radio signals for over a hundred years.

The big, as yet unanswered question about these possible life bearing world's are: what's their CO2 levels
You know, for a really dumb fuck, you asked a key question. If you find a earth type planet in the goldilocks zone, and it still has a CO2/CH4 atmosphere, it is likely that it has not yet developed life, or that life is at a very primitive level. On the other hand, should it have a high oxygen atmosphere with a low CO2 level, with a very small amount of CH4, then it is safe to assume there is life at least at the blue green algae level.

I'd be amazed if life doesn't exist somewhere within a thousand light years of us. It probably exists on one of the ocean moons in our own solar system.
I believe you may be correct. Another candidate would be Jupiter. Life not as we know it. Plenty of organics, energy, different temperature and pressure gradients. I am absolutely sure that there are going to be plenty of surprises for us yet within our own solar system.

We've been broadcasting radio signals for over a hundred years.
That is a very small bubble in terms of interstellar distances. And the assumption is that is what the aliens would use radio. They may consider radio in the same manner as we now consider smoke signals.

Forum List

Back