Do you Believe that there is Extraterrestrial Life?

Do you believe that there is alien life in outer space?

• No, the rest of the universeis void of life

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Yes, but it is not intelligent life

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Yes, there is intelligent life, similar to our own species

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Yes, the smart aliens likely observe us

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Yes, the smart aliens are already in communication with governemnt leaders secretly

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I dunno, whats on American Idol?

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
extent of our knowledge of extraterrestrial lives is well within those parameters

what knowledge of life within a 100 light years of earth

and advanced life with the 100 light years from earth less likely

if they exist in that zone we would have detected their noise

when we switched on our ears

Maybe yes..and maybe no. If the are smart they would have kept their mouths shut early on and limited long range transmissions to only those that could be disguised in amongst the random noise of the universe.

Predation at least on earth is the way of nature and there is no reason to suspect it would be any different out in space.

In short there is no good reason to give one's self away.

A smart alien might have only a few of our years of radio before turning off the beacon.

true or we are looking for the wrong type of signal

seti has now included spread spectrum signal

more in line with what a cell phone uses

Do aliens have smart phones?

Maybe yes..and maybe no. If the are smart they would have kept their mouths shut early on and limited long range transmissions to only those that could be disguised in amongst the random noise of the universe.

Predation at least on earth is the way of nature and there is no reason to suspect it would be any different out in space.

In short there is no good reason to give one's self away.

A smart alien might have only a few of our years of radio before turning off the beacon.

true or we are looking for the wrong type of signal

seti has now included spread spectrum signal

more in line with what a cell phone uses

Do aliens have smart phones?

so far the answer is no

--LOL

yes there is plant life on Venus

Venus wouldn't even be a smart guess to be a planet that could support "plant" life.---- "The atmosphere appears to be relatively clear until the cloud deck starts about 50 km above the surface. As noted in the previous section, the clouds are composed of sulphuric acid and various other corrosive compounds, and the atmosphere contains little water.

The pressure of the atmosphere is about 90 times that of the Earth at the surface, and the surface temperatures on Venus are around 500 degrees Celsius, exceeding that of Mercury and hot enough to melt soft metals."

Please reveal your "proof".
Sulfolobus would love it there!

Last edited:
surprisingly our radio signals have not traveled all that far

20130115_radio_broadcasts_f840.jpg

the blue dot is the distance our signals have traveled 200 light years across

I have to admit I hadn't considered the actual distance our radio signals could have travelled. That tiny blue dot is comforting. For some reason I cannot explain why I thought our transmissions had gone much deeper into the cosmos than that.

This changes everything. I wonder why Sagan or Hawkings didn't bring up this fact when discussing the possibility of alien life. Maybe they did and I wasn't paying attention.

Obviously the chances of other beings capable of responding to our radio broadcasts residing within the blue dot is zero.

I will sleep better now.

yeah a hundred light years seems like allot

but it is nothing compared to the vastness of space

one other thing the dot represents is the problem

with traveling in space

if we invented a light speed rocket today and took off today

that is the distance the rocket would have traveled in a hundred years

the same problem holds true for extra terrestrials

Perspective....what a bitch.

I have to admit I hadn't considered the actual distance our radio signals could have travelled. That tiny blue dot is comforting. For some reason I cannot explain why I thought our transmissions had gone much deeper into the cosmos than that.

This changes everything. I wonder why Sagan or Hawkings didn't bring up this fact when discussing the possibility of alien life. Maybe they did and I wasn't paying attention.

Obviously the chances of other beings capable of responding to our radio broadcasts residing within the blue dot is zero.

I will sleep better now.

yeah a hundred light years seems like allot

but it is nothing compared to the vastness of space

one other thing the dot represents is the problem

with traveling in space

if we invented a light speed rocket today and took off today

that is the distance the rocket would have traveled in a hundred years

the same problem holds true for extra terrestrials

Perspective....what a bitch.

yeah and we are pretty far out in the sticks ta boot

Do you Believe that there is Extraterrestrial Life?

Beats me... However, there might be. I've met some ladies in my life that were out of this world.

As to the op, I am open to the possibility, but given the vastness of the cosmos, the likelihood of ever encountering extraterrestrial life is infinitesimal.

As to the op, I am open to the possibility, but given the vastness of the cosmos, the likelihood of ever encountering extraterrestrial life is infinitesimal.

yeah

the little blue dot

was in our galaxy

then there is the vastness to other galaxies

which are expanding

Seti Book Says We've Been Visited

Lord but I love stories like this! :eusa_clap:

Have aliens already visited Earth? Nasa book suggests that ancient rock art could have been created by extraterrestrials

A new book details the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (Seti)
In it the authors discuss the methods through which we might find aliens
These include searching for signs of life on planets or finding messages
The book details some of the challenges ahead for making first contact
But ultimately the authors say it is something that might happen one day

Read more of this great stuff @ Nasa book suggests that ancient rock art could have been created by aliens | Mail Online

I has already been proven there is life on other planets....Plant life and microscopic life.

Link, please? To my knowledge, there is no proof as of yet of any kind of life outside of the Earth. Not that I doubt that there is. Simply, at this point, no one that I know of has presented proof positive of it.

I has already been proven there is life on other planets....Plant life and microscopic life.

Link, please? To my knowledge, there is no proof as of yet of any kind of life outside of the Earth. Not that I doubt that there is. Simply, at this point, no one that I know of has presented proof positive of it.

not yet

there are a set of scientists that claim

there are some fossilized bacteria

in a Mars rock

images

Can anyone actually read the thread before doing that? I already said I couldn't find a link and that I was wrong. Jesus.

I agree with Huggy, in that the intelligent aliens are laying low and hiding radio transmissions, so as not to get annihilated by other intelligent aliens. It's tough to stop a planet-killer comet that has been accelerated to .99c, no matter how good your tech is.

And while that may seem pessimistic, it only takes a single xenophobic and aggressive alien race to wipe out all the friendly alien races. And it would also explain why SETI has found it's disturbingly quiet out there.

Earth, so far, is fortunate in that our radio emissions fade to below background noise within 10 light years. We're still hidden. Probably. Or that planet-killer could be heading our way right now.

not yet

there are a set of scientists that claim

there are some fossilized bacteria

in a Mars rock

images

Yes, I am aware of that, and find that very interesting. But not yet proof positive.

Honestly, I would really be looking for life not as we know it. Maybe in the clouds of Jupiter, plenty of energy and elements there to get a start. I think that we will find life not as we know it, within our own solar system. And it will surprise us even more than the life in the rift zones did.

I agree with Huggy, in that the intelligent aliens are laying low and hiding radio transmissions, so as not to get annihilated by other intelligent aliens. It's tough to stop a planet-killer comet that has been accelerated to .99c, no matter how good your tech is.

And while that may seem pessimistic, it only takes a single xenophobic and aggressive alien race to wipe out all the friendly alien races. And it would also explain why SETI has found it's disturbingly quiet out there.

Earth, so far, is fortunate in that our radio emissions fade to below background noise within 10 light years. We're still hidden. Probably. Or that planet-killer could be heading our way right now.

It would certainly be ONE strategy to annialate life on a planet to the lowest forms by "nudging" a large asteroid far out in space to eventually collide with a planet.

It would make for an interesting movie script to discover an alien here on earth with knowledge that his bretheren were going to alter the path of an otherwise benign asteroid and turn it into a "killer asteroid" by just a small adjustment in it's path.

I take solace in philosophy anytime I am confronted with questions like this. Two branches of philosophy that I find useful in answering this particular question are mathematics and observational science. Given the vastness of the universe, it is hard to imagine a universe where we are the only kid in the block especially if you use mathematical ideas such as theory of probability, order of entropy, etc.

But then we have to confront another reality which brings us back to observational science. To this date, we have not been able to observe and verify the existence of life much less the intelligent one outside of this planet. We (great apes) have been around on this planet for 20 million years, now. If there were intelligent lives besides our own, we would have heard back from them by now. May be they came in our distant past when we were not able to observe or communicate with them. May be the distance between them and us is so vast that it creates a natural barrier that cannot be overcome; if this is true, we will never make the contact. So it is quite possible that even though there are intelligent lives out there, we will never meet them.

We are very luck that things have been pretty calm in our neighborhood of the galaxy for past few million years which allowed major forms of life to evolve. This however, is not going to be the case permanently. As we know good chunk of life has been wiped out many times and then it evolved again; this has been repeated quite a few times now. The interval at which this mass extinction takes place is 65-million-year. Interestingly enough, this coincides with the vertical oscillation period of our solar system across the disc of our Milky Way galaxy. We are heading towards an assured mass extinction in less than 65-million years provided we do not get hit by an asteroid in the mean time. But let us say, we get luck, just for the sake of optimism, and we outlive all these extinctions, even then we will not be able to avoid the reality that the Sun will run out of fuel in few billion years and when that happens, continuation of life will not be possible in our solar system.

This life is precious and yet temporary. There is no eternal life. There is one life embedded in one chance we get. One moment is all we have to live our life in. So I say, "Peace to ya all!"

Last edited:

Forum List

Back