Do you Believe that there is Extraterrestrial Life?

Do you believe that there is alien life in outer space?

• No, the rest of the universeis void of life

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Yes, but it is not intelligent life

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Yes, there is intelligent life, similar to our own species

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Yes, the smart aliens likely observe us

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Yes, the smart aliens are already in communication with governemnt leaders secretly

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I dunno, whats on American Idol?

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Bill Maher the Idjit ridicules Americans for believing that there is alien life out there, somewhere. According to this poll, 80% of Americans believe in aliens from outer space.

CNN - Poll: U.S. hiding knowledge of aliens - June 15, 1997

Seems to me we likely are being observed from a huge distance by alien scientists; if an intelligent species evolved only a few thousand years faster than we did, then they have tech that we cant even grasp, and probably could easily observe what is going on here on Earth.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I'm certain life formed on other planets similar to how it formed here. The universe being something like 14 billion years old. Our planet is in the range of 4-5 Billion or so. There might be life several billion years old.

I dissagree that "they" could be watching us or have the means to get here easily. I believe the difficulties that we see in space travel are most likely a constant that any species would eventually face if they were advanced enough to even want to or more likely HAVE to leave their home planet.

ALL stars eventually burn out or die out. Space debris threatens impact EVERYWHERE in the universe making the threat of catastrophic collision a universal constant.

If "they" could escape they probably did it on something big with the capability to send out smaller vessels to find a suitable replacement environment to what they are biologically comfortable with.

There is no gaurantee that our atmosphere or mean temperatures would be just right for an alien's metabolism.

Here on earth there are living things right at the vents of volcanos at the bottom of the ocean.

Who knows what conditions would sustain life on other planets?

I doubt if our planet was desirable to aliens that they would hesitate getting rid of our pathetic species. All they would have to do is observe how we murder each other to come to the conclusion that we don't deserve any special consideration.

Bill Maher the Idjit ridicules Americans for believing that there is alien life out there, somewhere. According to this poll, 80% of Americans believe in aliens from outer space.

Seems to me we likely are being observed from a huge distance by alien scientists; if an intelligent species evolved only a few thousand years faster than we did, then they have tech that we cant even grasp, and probably could easily observe what is going on here on Earth.

What do you think?

Seems to me we likely are being observed from a huge distance by alien scientists

it is possible but i do not think so

it will take another 300 years for our signals to reach far enough out into space

that someone might pick up on it

The idea of planet earth being the only inhabited planet is a bit silly.
We know a grand total of bugger all plus a bit about the universe except for one thing, it's bloody big.

The numbers suggest a strong chance of life on other worlds.

What do you think?

Seems to me we likely are being observed from a huge distance by alien scientists

it will take another 300 years for our signals to reach far enough out into space

that's not true

aliens exist, the probability alone tells you this. earth being one in trillions would be a stretch

There has been no proof yet. But if there isn't that means we are the only intelligent life in the universe. If that is the case we are screwed. So of course I believe there is life somewhere else.

There has been no proof yet. But if there isn't that means we are the only intelligent life in the universe. If that is the case we are screwed. So of course I believe there is life somewhere else.

why are we screwed dependent upon life elsewhere or not?

I think you have to be delusional to imagine that ONLY one planet in the universe is the sole place with LIFE on it.

I think you have to be delusional to imagine that ONLY one planet in the universe is the sole place with LIFE on it.

Correct, not only delusional, but arrogant. If one believes in statistics, it seems to be more of a stretch to think that the only intellgent living species in the universe is on this planet only.

I'm certain life formed on other planets similar to how it formed here. The universe being something like 14 billion years old. Our planet is in the range of 4-5 Billion or so. There might be life several billion years old.

I dissagree that "they" could be watching us or have the means to get here easily. I believe the difficulties that we see in space travel are most likely a constant that any species would eventually face if they were advanced enough to even want to or more likely HAVE to leave their home planet.

ALL stars eventually burn out or die out. Space debris threatens impact EVERYWHERE in the universe making the threat of catastrophic collision a universal constant.

If "they" could escape they probably did it on something big with the capability to send out smaller vessels to find a suitable replacement environment to what they are biologically comfortable with.

There is no gaurantee that our atmosphere or mean temperatures would be just right for an alien's metabolism.

Here on earth there are living things right at the vents of volcanos at the bottom of the ocean.

Who knows what conditions would sustain life on other planets?

I doubt if our planet was desirable to aliens that they would hesitate getting rid of our pathetic species. All they would have to do is observe how we murder each other to come to the conclusion that we don't deserve any special consideration.

I think they watch us for the same reason we observe herds of elephants or mountain gorilla's; for study and knowledge's sake.

That is why I don't get all these alien invasion movies; there is plenty of everything else outside our planet among the debris of space. Some movie had aliens come to Earth for our water. I couldn't believe it; there is plenty of water floating through space in the form if ice debris.

Aside from that, good post, but why do you keep putting the word 'they' in quotes?

What do you think?

that's not true

surprisingly our radio signals have not traveled all that far

20130115_radio_broadcasts_f840.jpg

the blue dot is the distance our signals have traveled 200 light years across

Last edited:

that's not true

surprisingly our radio signals have not traveled all that far

20130115_radio_broadcasts_f840.jpg

the blue dot is the distance our signals have traveled 200 light years across

and the extent of our knowledge of extraterrestrial lives is well within those parameters, which is why your statement was untrue

I would be sad to think that we're the only intelligent life in the universe especially when you consider how shitty we are to each other.

Forum List

Back