Do you Believe that there is Extraterrestrial Life?

Do you believe that there is alien life in outer space?

• No, the rest of the universeis void of life

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Yes, but it is not intelligent life

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Yes, there is intelligent life, similar to our own species

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Yes, the smart aliens likely observe us

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Yes, the smart aliens are already in communication with governemnt leaders secretly

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I dunno, whats on American Idol?

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Bill Maher the Idjit ridicules Americans for believing that there is alien life out there, somewhere. According to this poll, 80% of Americans believe in aliens from outer space.

CNN - Poll: U.S. hiding knowledge of aliens - June 15, 1997

Seems to me we likely are being observed from a huge distance by alien scientists; if an intelligent species evolved only a few thousand years faster than we did, then they have tech that we cant even grasp, and probably could easily observe what is going on here on Earth.

What do you think?

Given the size and age of the known universe (what is beyond it?) I'd say it's a no-brainer and given the way some peeps act and speak (like some t-partiers) I'd say we have aliens right here on this board. :D

Last edited:
I'm certain life formed on other planets similar to how it formed here. The universe being something like 14 billion years old. Our planet is in the range of 4-5 Billion or so. There might be life several billion years old.

I dissagree that "they" could be watching us or have the means to get here easily. I believe the difficulties that we see in space travel are most likely a constant that any species would eventually face if they were advanced enough to even want to or more likely HAVE to leave their home planet.

ALL stars eventually burn out or die out. Space debris threatens impact EVERYWHERE in the universe making the threat of catastrophic collision a universal constant.

If "they" could escape they probably did it on something big with the capability to send out smaller vessels to find a suitable replacement environment to what they are biologically comfortable with.

There is no gaurantee that our atmosphere or mean temperatures would be just right for an alien's metabolism.

Here on earth there are living things right at the vents of volcanos at the bottom of the ocean.

Who knows what conditions would sustain life on other planets?

I doubt if our planet was desirable to aliens that they would hesitate getting rid of our pathetic species. All they would have to do is observe how we murder each other to come to the conclusion that we don't deserve any special consideration.

I think they watch us for the same reason we observe herds of elephants or mountain gorilla's; for study and knowledge's sake.

That is why I don't get all these alien invasion movies; there is plenty of everything else outside our planet among the debris of space. Some movie had aliens come to Earth for our water. I couldn't believe it; there is plenty of water floating through space in the form if ice debris.

Aside from that, good post, but why do you keep putting the word 'they' in quotes?

Fair question. For dramatic effect I suppose. I'm sure you are correct in implying that the use of quotes is improper gramatically. I'll look into it.

Seems to me we likely are being observed from a huge distance by alien scientists

it is possible but i do not think so

it will take another 300 years for our signals to reach far enough out into space

that someone might pick up on it

that's not true

surprisingly our radio signals have not traveled all that far

20130115_radio_broadcasts_f840.jpg

the blue dot is the distance our signals have traveled 200 light years across

I have to admit I hadn't considered the actual distance our radio signals could have travelled. That tiny blue dot is comforting. For some reason I cannot explain why I thought our transmissions had gone much deeper into the cosmos than that.

This changes everything. I wonder why Sagan or Hawkings didn't bring up this fact when discussing the possibility of alien life. Maybe they did and I wasn't paying attention.

Obviously the chances of other beings capable of responding to our radio broadcasts residing within the blue dot is zero.

I will sleep better now.

No we have not. If we have, link it.

do your own research before commenting so assertively on a topic, hey?

https://www.google.com/#q=new+planets+found+in+goldilocks+zone

anyone with "firm" belief that we're the only intelligent life doesn't have much of a "firm" grasp on how big of a stretch they need to make for said belief to be "firm."

I'll let YOU stick to the veiled insults and condescending tones.

These articles are all about the same one planet. If you understood the Rare Earth Hypothesis at all you would know that there is much more to it that finding an earth sized planet the correct distance from its star. I am not impressed by this find at all. Whether it make you feel awkward or not, my belief stands firm. And I am supported by the fact that there have been no contact or any evidence supporting the belief that sentient beings exist at all anywhere.

Hey, someone has to be number one.

If the bulk of the universe is approximately 10 billion years older than our planet then it is almost certain we are not #1.

It is true that we have discovered many possible planets within a life safe distance from the stars they orbit.

That was then and this is now. As we reach farther out with our telescopes we are looking back farther in time. 62 billion years is our current observable distance. This makes no sense to me if the universe is only 14 billion years old. A lot can happen cosmologically in even one billion years. Stuff we can observe now may not even be there by the time we see it. A planet that could have developed life a billion years ago probably went through several extinctions by the time we observe it.

Last edited:
You cant link it......Every time I try I get sites from wake job ancient alien blogs....Seems I was wrong about Venus....They say there may have BEEN plant life there. But they did fins bacteria from mars I think.

I'm pretty sure they were mistaken on that as well. Although if they do find life there, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

anyone with "firm" belief that we're the only intelligent life doesn't have much of a "firm" grasp on how big of a stretch they need to make for said belief to be "firm."

These articles are all about the same one planet. If you understood the Rare Earth Hypothesis at all you would know that there is much more to it that finding an earth sized planet the correct distance from its star. I am not impressed by this find at all. Whether it make you feel awkward or not, my belief stands firm. And I am supported by the fact that there have been no contact or any evidence supporting the belief that sentient beings exist at all anywhere.

aliens....to the left of us...aliens to the right of us.....look if they can master space travel etc and so forth...why not just announce that they are here...

The whole idea that an alien life form travels the enormous distances simply to capture humans and give then an anal probe is very humorous to me.

If the bulk of the universe is approximately 10 billion years older than our planet then it is almost certain we are not #1.

It is true that we have discovered many possible planets within a life safe distance from the stars they orbit.

That was then and this is now. As we reach farther out with our telescopes we are looking back farther in time. 62 billion years is our current observable distance. This makes no sense to me if the universe is only 14 billion years old. A lot can happen cosmologically in even one billion years. Stuff we can observe now may not even be there by the time we see it. A planet that could have developed life a billion years ago probably went through several extinctions by the time we observe it.

The Rare Earth Hypothesis also takes this into account. To be clear, the scientists behind this hypothesis, didnt say we were #1, that came Fromm deranged mind.

aliens....to the left of us...aliens to the right of us.....look if they can master space travel etc and so forth...why not just announce that they are here...

The whole idea that an alien life form travels the enormous distances simply to capture humans and give then an anal probe is very humorous to me.

It is obvious to me that many if not all of these people were sexually abused as young children and this is how their subconscious is telling the world about it.

Abusive male relative = aliens.

Alien life out there? yes
Intelligent life close enough to contact in a lifetime? No

I has already been proven there is life on other planets....Plant life and microscopic life.
has it?

yes there is plant life on Venus

Venus wouldn't even be a smart guess to be a planet that could support "plant" life.---- "The atmosphere appears to be relatively clear until the cloud deck starts about 50 km above the surface. As noted in the previous section, the clouds are composed of sulphuric acid and various other corrosive compounds, and the atmosphere contains little water.

The pressure of the atmosphere is about 90 times that of the Earth at the surface, and the surface temperatures on Venus are around 500 degrees Celsius, exceeding that of Mercury and hot enough to melt soft metals."

Please reveal your "proof".

And evidently enjoyable to others. :D

The Rare Earth Hypothesis also takes this into account. To be clear, the scientists behind this hypothesis, didnt say we were #1, that came Fromm deranged mind.

Tru dat! :D

Correct, not only delusional, but arrogant. If one believes in statistics, it seems to be more of a stretch to think that the only intellgent living species in the universe is on this planet only.
There's intelligent life here?

Nope.

I has already been proven there is life on other planets....Plant life and microscopic life.
has it?

yes there is plant life on Venus

BS. We still haven't seen the surface of the place yet. That claim was conjecture made in 2002.

And the whole earthlike planet thing is nothing but guesses as well.

I think you have to be delusional to imagine that ONLY one planet in the universe is the sole place with LIFE on it.

Correct, not only delusional, but arrogant. If one believes in statistics, it seems to be more of a stretch to think that the only intellgent living species in the universe is on this planet only.

It would be awfully presumptuous of us to think that we are the only intelligent life in the universe.

that's not true

and the extent of our knowledge of extraterrestrial lives is well within those parameters, which is why your statement was untrue

extent of our knowledge of extraterrestrial lives is well within those parameters

what knowledge of life within a 100 light years of earth

and advanced life with the 100 light years from earth less likely

if they exist in that zone we would have detected their noise

when we switched on our ears

and the extent of our knowledge of extraterrestrial lives is well within those parameters, which is why your statement was untrue

extent of our knowledge of extraterrestrial lives is well within those parameters

Maybe yes..and maybe no. If the are smart they would have kept their mouths shut early on and limited long range transmissions to only those that could be disguised in amongst the random noise of the universe.

Predation at least on earth is the way of nature and there is no reason to suspect it would be any different out in space.

In short there is no good reason to give one's self away.

A smart alien might have only a few of our years of radio before turning off the beacon.

that's not true

I have to admit I hadn't considered the actual distance our radio signals could have travelled. That tiny blue dot is comforting. For some reason I cannot explain why I thought our transmissions had gone much deeper into the cosmos than that.

This changes everything. I wonder why Sagan or Hawkings didn't bring up this fact when discussing the possibility of alien life. Maybe they did and I wasn't paying attention.

Obviously the chances of other beings capable of responding to our radio broadcasts residing within the blue dot is zero.

I will sleep better now.

yeah a hundred light years seems like allot

but it is nothing compared to the vastness of space

one other thing the dot represents is the problem

with traveling in space

if we invented a light speed rocket today and took off today

that is the distance the rocket would have traveled in a hundred years

the same problem holds true for extra terrestrials

time and space time is a funny thing

Maybe yes..and maybe no. If the are smart they would have kept their mouths shut early on and limited long range transmissions to only those that could be disguised in amongst the random noise of the universe.

Predation at least on earth is the way of nature and there is no reason to suspect it would be any different out in space.

In short there is no good reason to give one's self away.

A smart alien might have only a few of our years of radio before turning off the beacon.

true or we are looking for the wrong type of signal

seti has now included spread spectrum signal

more in line with what a cell phone uses

Forum List

Back