Do you believe that mental illness is a

Tardive dyskinesias (TDs) are involuntary movements of the tongue, lips, face, trunk, and extremities that occur in patients treated with long-term dopaminergic antagonist medications. Although they are associated with the use of neuroleptics, TDs apparently existed before the development of neuroleptics. People with schizophrenia appear especially vulnerable to developing TDs after exposure to conventional neuroleptics, anticholinergics, toxins, substances of abuse, and other agents. TDs are most common in patients with schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, or bipolar disorder who have been treated with antipsychotic medication for long periods, but TDs occasionally occur in other patients as well. For example, people with fetal alcohol syndrome, other developmental disabilities, and other brain disorders are vulnerable to the development of tardive dyskinesias, even after receiving a single dose of the causative agent

Tardive Dyskinesia: eMedicine Neurology

TD's do happen, yes they do. However, most medical medications have side effects. But the side effects are nothing compared to the actual disease.

These folks you say you help, how did they get into the situation in the first place? Because once again I ask how can they be involuntary committed unless they were a danger to themselves or others? And in most cases they only keep you long enough to get you stable enough not to be so, then you are released. Do you think that if involuntary committment were so easy to do, there would be as many mentally ill homeless folks?

you are speaking out your ass ...with no real knowledge of what these medications are prescribed for...they don't take homeless people a mental institutions unless they have committed a serious crime or it is court ordered...they don't want people that are too much trouble....they don't want people without good insurance coverage and you have no real knowledge at all on what is required for involuntary commitment ...do you...honestly

How easily you dismiss the fact that I lived with a schizophrenic, and realized how hard it was to even get him to a hospital for treatment, let alone committed. You also forget that I mentioned I worked in a group home with schizophrenics. And in order to do so had to understand the laws of commitment. Now that I told you my little bit of knowledge regarding committment, please share yours, and answer my question. The folks you ride in on your white horse to save, what did they do to get involuntary committment? What law allowed that to happen to that, or what lack of law? If you can't answer that question, I guess you are talking out your ass as much as I am.

All those speak of involuntary or judicial committment. And of course if someone is committed due to attempt to harm themselves or others, there will be great possibility of medication requirement. Why there is a reason, they attempted to take their lives, or attempted to violently go after others. That reason has to be treated.

Last edited:
TD's do happen, yes they do. However, most medical medications have side effects. But the side effects are nothing compared to the actual disease.

These folks you say you help, how did they get into the situation in the first place? Because once again I ask how can they be involuntary committed unless they were a danger to themselves or others? And in most cases they only keep you long enough to get you stable enough not to be so, then you are released. Do you think that if involuntary committment were so easy to do, there would be as many mentally ill homeless folks?

you are speaking out your ass ...with no real knowledge of what these medications are prescribed for...they don't take homeless people a mental institutions unless they have committed a serious crime or it is court ordered...they don't want people that are too much trouble....they don't want people without good insurance coverage and you have no real knowledge at all on what is required for involuntary commitment ...do you...honestly

How easily you dismiss the fact that I lived with a schizophrenic, and realized how hard it was to even get him to a hospital for treatment, let alone committed. You also forget that I mentioned I worked in a group home with schizophrenics. And in order to do so had to understand the laws of commitment. Now that I told you my little bit of knowledge regarding committment, please share yours, and answer my question. The folks you ride in on your white horse to save, what did they do to get involuntary committment? What law allowed that to happen to that, or what lack of law? If you can't answer that question, I guess you are talking out your ass as much as I am.

many of them have gone manic due to anti depressants and where acting out of sorts but posing no threat to anyone...police where called due to their odd behaviors and they where taken to a hospital and immediately forced to take toxic brain damaging drugs instead of ceasing the antidepressants...after 72 hrs a kangaroo court of a second opinion happens and they decide they are still not ready ,,and keep the for 2 more weeks...then there is another kangaroo court and they are kept for up to another 90 days etc etc...if you have all this experience...why don't you even know the difference between a neuroleptic drug and a psychotropic drug ????.....or social path from sociopath ???
IM THE ONE CALLING....BULLSHIT

many of them have gone manic due to anti depressants and where acting out of sorts but posing no threat to anyone...police where called due to their odd behaviors and they where taken to a hospital and immediately forced to take toxic brain damaging drugs instead of ceasing the antidepressants...after 72 hrs a kangaroo court of a second opinion happens and they decide they are still not ready ,,and keep the for 2 more weeks...then there is another kangaroo court and they are kept for up to another 90 days etc etc...if you have all this experience...why don't you even know the difference between a neuroleptic drug and a psychotropic drug ????.....or social path from sociopath ???

Once again you wrong. In order to be medicated your very first time, you would have to have done someone to hurt someone or yourself, that is what you keep missing. The cops won't take "John" to the hospital if he is sitting on his front porch arguing quite loudly, with the invisible "George" next to him. But the cops will take "John" in if not only is John talking to George, John has a knife to his own throat. Get the difference?

I am now convinced you are a scientologist. Just reading a lot of what you say and your evasiveness on what you do to get folks unmedicated. And personally, I would rather not debate with someone who follows a cult based on outer space.

I wish you luck in your mission, and I hope when it fails you don't find yourself committeed.

many of them have gone manic due to anti depressants and where acting out of sorts but posing no threat to anyone...police where called due to their odd behaviors and they where taken to a hospital and immediately forced to take toxic brain damaging drugs instead of ceasing the antidepressants...after 72 hrs a kangaroo court of a second opinion happens and they decide they are still not ready ,,and keep the for 2 more weeks...then there is another kangaroo court and they are kept for up to another 90 days etc etc...if you have all this experience...why don't you even know the difference between a narcoleptic drug and a psychotropic drug ????.....or social path from sociopath ???

Once again you wrong. In order to be medicated your very first time, you would have to have done someone to hurt someone or yourself, that is what you keep missing. The cops won't take "John" to the hospital if he is sitting on his front porch arguing quite loudly, with the invisible "George" next to him. But the cops will take "John" in if not only is John talking to George, John has a knife to his own throat. Get the difference?
no knife is required...no violent act...only one psychiatrist opinion you may pose a threat to your safety or to others...i attended two review panels this month...where the people involved where acting strangely..police where called..they where taken to the hospital and forced medication...no violence...no threat of violence

I am now convinced you are a scientologist. Just reading a lot of what you say and your evasiveness on what you do to get folks unmedicated. And personally, I would rather not debate with someone who follows a cult based on outer space.

I wish you luck in your mission, and I hope when it fails you don't find yourself committeed

given your distorted view's and opinions on everything else....this does not surprise me

the difference is I speak the truth...and provide the links to prove it... you make up story's and so called facts...and don't know the difference between neroleptics or psychotropics or social paths from sociopaths..or the reality of involuntary commitment laws...or even how to spell it

Last edited:
Antidepressant use soars as the recession bites
Text size
Jamie Doward
The Guardian
June 21, 2009

Fears the recession is affecting the mental health of the nation appear to be borne out by new figures that show prescriptions of antidepressants are soaring.Last year in England there were 2.1m more prescriptions of antidepressants than in 2007, leading to concerns that doctors are increasingly supplying the drugs as a “quick fix” without attempting to address the underlying cause of the problems. In total, 36m prescriptions were given out, an increase of 24% over the past five years.

“The increase in the number of people being prescribed antidepressants is deeply disturbing,” said the Liberal Democrats’ health spokesman, Norman Lamb, who obtained the figures. “England has become a true Prozac nation.”

Lamb said it appeared the economy was a major factor in the increase. “The figures raise serious concerns over the impact of the current recession on people’s mental health,” he said. “Ministers have acted far too slowly to ensure that support is put in place to help people through these difficult times.”

Antidepressant use soars as the recession bites | Society | The Observer

No, YOU try to limit me to no choice at all. Thankfully, I ignored doom-and-gloom naysayers like you 16 years ago and found my way out.

hardly ...just try to educate people of the options and the risk especially with the anti psychotic medications..nerolrptics...that are increasingly be prescribed for other so called mental disorders and to children...I believe in alternative therapy's and the research of its effectiveness in many cases... and I believe in informed consent....somebody has to... the criminals cant not be left to police themselves

What you're preaching isn't "education". It's a recipe for misery to advance your own agenda. Tell me, how much do you get paid in your little crusade to keep people off medication and believing that mental illness is all in their imagination?

many of them have gone manic due to anti depressants and where acting out of sorts but posing no threat to anyone...police where called due to their odd behaviors and they where taken to a hospital and immediately forced to take toxic brain damaging drugs instead of ceasing the antidepressants...after 72 hrs a kangaroo court of a second opinion happens and they decide they are still not ready ,,and keep the for 2 more weeks...then there is another kangaroo court and they are kept for up to another 90 days etc etc...if you have all this experience...why don't you even know the difference between a narcoleptic drug and a psychotropic drug ????.....or social path from sociopath ???

no knife is required...no violent act...only one psychiatrist opinion you may pose a threat to your safety or to others...i attended two review panels this month...where the people involved where acting strangely..police where called..they where taken to the hospital and forced medication...no violence...no threat of violence

given your distorted view's and opinions on everything else....this does not surprise me

the difference is I speak the truth...and provide the links to prove it... you make up story's and so called facts...and don't know the difference between neroleptics or psychotropics or social paths from sociopaths..or the reality of involuntary commitment laws...or even how to spell it

You do not speak the truth as many here disputed your truths. Like I said with every link you post I can post 10 links that say the opposite. And you can post a thousand links, I will take the evidence of real life experience (that has been pointed out to you by many here) over your Scientologist views.

The fact that you can go after someone spelling/grammar errors is quite telling the fact you are losing the debate.

By the way my apologies for thinking you a Scientologist in the Religion thread. Yea those folks are along the line of the Phelps ones.

Additionally I never disagreed that medicine can hurt, all medications can. But often the disease out weighs the side effects of the disease.

Finally a psychiatrist can only recommend for committment if the person is showing signs of aggression or talking about suicide. And most committments don't come from the Psychatrists office, they usually happen from home.

Last edited:
You do not speak the truth as many here disputed your truths. Like I said with every link you post I can post 10 links that say the opposite.

the links I posted are for each states mental health acts...they are not opinion
and the others where cnn and fox news story's on criminal charges against elli lilly
easy to verify and again not opinion but a matter of public record...

And you can post a thousand links, I will take the evidence of real life experience (that has been pointed out to you by many here) over your Scientologist views.

there are many real life experiences of people victimized and profoundly and permanently damaged from the mental health system...as far as your delusion that I have any belief in scientology ...there is not much I can say

The fact that you can go after someone spelling/grammar errors is quite telling the fact you are losing the debate

no not really...not in context with your claims...social path is not a spelling mistake ..it was your ignorance on this subject...as is your lack of knowledge on the difference between psychotropic and neuroleptic drugs...or your claim of first hand and extensive knowledge of involuntary commitment laws without knowing how to spell it

By the way my apologies for thinking you a Scientologist in the Religion thread. Yea those folks are along the line of the Phelps ones.

no worrys

Additionally I never disagreed that medicine can hurt, all medications can. But often the disease out weighs the side effects of the disease

its not a disease by the medical definition..there is no proof of this....but I don't wish to take anyone free choice to seek any form of drug or therapy they fell they need...but as is clear in the videos posted..these drugs are recklessly prescribed and promoted without informed consent or disclosure of the permanente damage and death they can potential cause in a many cases or the alternatives to these therapy's

Finally a psychiatrist can only recommend for committment if the person is showing signs of aggression or talking about suicide. And most committments don't come from the Psychatrists office, they usually happen from home

read the laws..you are mistaken... and where do you get these statistics ??

Last edited:
hardly ...just try to educate people of the options and the risk especially with the anti psychotic medications..nerolrptics...that are increasingly be prescribed for other so called mental disorders and to children...I believe in alternative therapy's and the research of its effectiveness in many cases... and I believe in informed consent....somebody has to... the criminals cant not be left to police themselves

What you're preaching isn't "education". It's a recipe for misery to advance your own agenda.

my agenda is to is to warn of the danders of neuroleptic and psychotropic drugs and to help involuntarily committed patients and their request....to try to assure their rights are respected and their right to informed consent...and i coach them on how to make it through a review panel..once in these situations emotions are called... symptoms...rebel ion is called a symptom ..spiritual belief can be deemed delusions...so with understanding and compassion.. I explain..what not to say to a psychiatrist..and if they are sane enough to understand that they are sane enough to be free...I give only the facts on their medications and options and never advise ceasing medication without working with a medical professional and supply contact information for psychiatrist willing to do so...you have a problem with that ?

Tell me, how much do you get paid in your little crusade to keep people off medication and believing that mental illness is all in their imagination

I have so far received no remuneration for this...it started by helping a friend that was unhappy with the state supplied advocate usually an articling law student...then through word of mouth I received other request..the thought of pay never entered my mind until hospital staff pointed out advocates receive 300$ for each review panel attended ..it is time consuming and there seems to be a need and I could perhaps do more if paid so I am considering seeking payment ..we have determined that that it is the patients right to have who ever they choose receive advocate status..but ti is still unclear what is required
to receive payment....and ultimately everything is much in our imagination ..however no less real..what you call a illness or disease i call a person in distress or in an altered state of consciousness...and these can be lived through and does not need to be a life long affliction
and there are options worth trying other than chemical damaging your brain....

Brain Damage Caused by Neuroleptic Psychiatric Drugs
Up one level
In the past two decades, countless medical studies have shown that use of neuroleptic psychiatric drugs (also known as antipsychotics) is associated with structural brain changes, especially when taking high dosages for a long time. These brain changes can include actual shrinkage of the higher level parts of the brain. The shrinkage can be seen in brain scans and autopsy studies. In response to industry defenders who claim that this shrinkage is from the "mental illness," studies show neuroleptics lead to similar brain changes in animals. While the medical side of large libraries has this information, the public media side of the library does not. In other words, the public, patients and their families are not being informed about what medicine has long known.
Neuroleptics shrink brains in monkeys by David W. Oaks — last modified 2008-05-30 16:42
In this study, both an older neuroleptic (Haldol or "haloperidol") and a newer atypical neuroleptic (Zyprexa or "olanzapine") caused significant shrinkage in the higher level parts of the brains in monkeys. Source: Neuropsychopharmacology 9 March 2005 Medical articles on neuroleptic brain damage by David W. Oaks — last modified 2007-09-15 09:09
These are a few of the many mainstream medical articles indicating that using neuroleptic psychiatric drugs (also known as antipsychotics) can lead to significant structural brain damage. Scientific article: Neuroleptic (antipsychotic) drugs may cause cell death. by David W. Oaks — last modified 2007-09-26 11:50
This medical research revealed that the neuroleptics (also known as antipsychotics) may not only shrink the brain, but cause actual cell death. Neuroleptic psychiatric drugs apparently impact brain cell numbers. by David W. Oaks — last modified 2008-05-30 22:58
Here's a follow-up study to the other study of monkeys given neuroleptics (see related content below), "Effect of Chronic Exposure to Antipsychotic Medication on Cell Numbers in the Parietal Cortex of Macaque Monkeys" More about how neuroleptics are shown to harm monkey brains. by David W. Oaks — last modified 2008-05-30 23:06
More about neuroleptic damage to monkey brains from Biol Psychiatry 2008 April 15: "Effect of chronic antipsychotic exposure on astrocyte and oligodendrocyte numbers in macaque monkeys" A Conversation With Nancy C. Andreasen by David W. Oaks — last modified 2009-02-09 16:36
The New York Times reports an extremely important discussion with psychiatrist and neuroscientist Nancy C. Andreasen. In he conversation, Prof. Andreasen speaks out about her findings that neuroleptic psychiatric drugs (also known as "antipsychotics") are leading to significant brain atrophy -- or shrinkage -- in patients.

Brain Damage Caused by Neuroleptic Psychiatric Drugs — MFI Portal

Last edited:
what ever toutured experinces people may have... does not make it a brain disease or neroleptics as the answer

Thank God you've never had or lived with someone with a "so called" mental disorder, and I question your claims that you work with them and your "interest" in them.

well I have and continue to do so...and my services are sought...I dont seek them...I give my help when it is asked for....

And, still, you have failed to address any of the previous commentary. Your opinion is duly noted -- and filed.

Thank God you've never had or lived with someone with a "so called" mental disorder, and I question your claims that you work with them and your "interest" in them.

well I have and continue to do so...and my services are sought...I dont seek them...I give my help when it is asked for....

And, still, you have failed to address any of the previous commentary. Your opinion is duly noted -- and filed.

what commentary specifically is it not addressed ?

It is truly funny that you keep claiming people are not told of what the drugs do. Funny how EVERY time I fill a prescription the pharmacy gives me a read out on all know side effects interactions and general knowledge of each and every drug. It tells you what the drug is normally prescribed for, lists all known side effects and reminds you that you should discuss with your doctor the benefits versus the side effects and determine what is best for you.

Ohh and last I checked if your not IN a hospital NO ONE can force you to take your pills. And even inside you can refuse. Involuntary commitment REQUIRES a Judge to do so. Having been in a mental facility many times I know how it works.

It is truly funny that you keep claiming people are not told of what the drugs do. Funny how EVERY time I fill a prescription the pharmacy gives me a read out on all know side effects interactions and general knowledge of each and every drug. It tells you what the drug is normally prescribed for, lists all known side effects and reminds you that you should discuss with your doctor the benefits versus the side effects and determine what is best for you.

Ohh and last I checked if your not IN a hospital NO ONE can force you to take your pills. And even inside you can refuse. Involuntary commitment REQUIRES a Judge to do so. Having been in a mental facility many times I know how it works.

oh really....:

Once a patient has been involuntarily hospitalized, the patient can also be involuntarily medicated without further process for up to 72 hours. However, the state’s statute requires an administrative review to continue non-emergency medication for longer than the initial 72 hours. This process calls for the concurring opinion of a second. A clinical review panel is employed for longer term involuntary psychotropic medication.

If the patient is on a commitment order for 14 or 90 days, the psychiatrist can administer involuntary antipsychotic However, a court order is required for a person on a 180 day order .

INVOLUNTARY MEDICATION BY PROCESS

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_iXApBeT5s]YouTube - Fox, Douglas Kennedy, Lilly pays $1.42 billion in Zyprexa suit[/ame]

oh really....:

Once a patient has been involuntarily hospitalized, the patient can also be involuntarily medicated without further process for up to 72 hours. However, the state’s statute requires an administrative review to continue non-emergency medication for longer than the initial 72 hours. This process calls for the concurring opinion of a second. A clinical review panel is employed for longer term involuntary psychotropic medication.

If the patient is on a commitment order for 14 or 90 days, the psychiatrist can administer involuntary antipsychotic However, a court order is required for a person on a 180 day order .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_iXApBeT5s]YouTube - Fox, Douglas Kennedy, Lilly pays $1.42 billion in Zyprexa suit[/ame]

Once again, the reason it is 72 and then evaluation is because when someone is involuntary committed they are in a Heigten state of their illness. The 72 are required to make sure they are stable enough to return home.

I don't know why you conitinue to post that newsclip. The only reason they lost that lawsuit was because they were promoting it for the wrong illness.

Last edited:

oh really....:

Once again, the reason it is 72 and then evaluation is because when someone is involuntary committed they are in a Heigten state of their illness. The 72 are required to make sure they are stable enough to return home.

how about you offer the some narcotic sedation...that does not have the potential of life long movement disorder..or brain damage...allow them sometime..supply proper diet... discontinue antidepressant use to determine if it is a psychotropic drug induced mania.. do you understand that people more times than not will in a relatively short time emerge from psychosis or mania without medication ?....before medications 60% of people that had a psychotic episode had only one in a lifetime....with medication that number has dropped to almost zero...and almost all patients relapse

Last edited:
and they may very well return home like this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCfUsIPaLCs]YouTube - Abnormal Involuntary Movement Scale - Scoring (AIMSDVD.com)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOW8LNU2hFE&feature=fvst]YouTube - Ex Drug Rep -- Manipulating Doctors[/ame]

who-is-barack-obama.jpg

President Barack Obama on Health Care

"Well, I think it should be a right for every American. In a country as wealthy as ours, for us to have people who are going bankrupt because they can’t pay their medical bills--for my mother to die of cancer at the age of 53 and have to spend the last months of her life in the hospital room arguing with insurance companies because they’re saying that this may be a pre-existing condition and they don’t have to pay her treatment, there’s something fundamentally wrong about that."

Source: 2008 second presidential debate against John McCain Oct 7, 2008

Last edited:
Ohh look, the ignorant have spoken.

post a link that states there is a diagnostic test for mental illness or any proof of chemical imbalances or... shut up...

I do not need to. I am living proof medication works and we have decades of proof medication works on all kind of mental illness.

And there are Diagnostic procedures used to determine lots of mental illness. They consist of a series of questions.

There is a lot of double talk that comes out of the anti-establishment crowd in regards to psychiatric medicine.

Of course there are not definitive tests. I'd like to hear one person tell me how we would measure dopamine levels in the thalamus of a schizophrenic without killing them?

Psychiatric conditions are, by nature, clinical diagnosis. That is not unique to the field, many medical conditions are clinically diagnosed (i.e. tetanus). Since psychiatry deals with the brain, there are simply no tests that can be run that wouldn't put the patient at needless risk.

This leads to clinical based medicine and a lot of experimenting with medications and patient feedback, which you experienced.

It is patently false to say there is no medical evidence that suggest a definate pathology behind certain mental illnesses.

Psychiatry is a relatively new field, and due to technology, is emerging.

Forum List

Back