Do you believe that mental illness is a

BTW, that excerpt is from the American Journal of Psychiatry.

hey have some compassion these well meaning poor chumps sink years of their life and loads of money to learn this pseudoscience..they may have children ..big loans to pay ..mortgages..their elitist self image to protect..where would they be if they did not perpetuate the fraud ?

Did you watch that clip? It's hilarious.

good stuff..thanks

No, but it does point out the weaknesses of science, and gullibility of those who follow it blindly.

Psychology is not a science. Psychiatry isn't either, for that matter.

Your opinion is irrelevant.

The medical profession considers psychiatry to be a part of the medical sciences.

So much so that it is a required rotation for every medical student in their third year.

You are a fucking, kool-aid gobbling buffoon.

"A questionnaire on attitudes toward psychiatry was submitted to French medical students in their first year of specialized training in psychiatry or in another medical specialty. The findings do not differ from those of previous United States investigations. In France, although psychiatry is a full medical specialty, psychiatrists are perceived as different from other physicians. Both groups of students believed that psychiatric treatment is efficacious but remained unsure of its scientific value."
French medical students' opinion of psychiatry -- Samuel-Lajeunesse and Ichou 142 (12): 1462 -- Am J Psychiatry

^pwned.

This has appparently gone over your head like a tent.

Psychiatry is considered integral to a basic medical science education and in order to get the degree "Medical Doctor", as determined by the powers that be, you have to do rotations in the following disciplines in your third year:

internal medicine, OB/GYN, pediatrics, general surgery, and psychiatry at every Medical School in the United States. (There are additional clerkships (family medicine, nueurology, etc), but they vary by school.)

Furthermore, nothing in the article you linked comes even close to your assertion that psychiatry is not a science.

Perhaps your reading comprehension isn't up to snuff.

Your opinion is irrelevant.

The medical profession considers psychiatry to be a part of the medical sciences.

So much so that it is a required rotation for every medical student in their third year.

You are a fucking, kool-aid gobbling buffoon.

"A questionnaire on attitudes toward psychiatry was submitted to French medical students in their first year of specialized training in psychiatry or in another medical specialty. The findings do not differ from those of previous United States investigations. In France, although psychiatry is a full medical specialty, psychiatrists are perceived as different from other physicians. Both groups of students believed that psychiatric treatment is efficacious but remained unsure of its scientific value."
French medical students' opinion of psychiatry -- Samuel-Lajeunesse and Ichou 142 (12): 1462 -- Am J Psychiatry

^pwned.

This has appparently gone over your head like a tent.

Psychiatry is considered integral to a basic medical science education and in order to get the degree "Medical Doctor", as determined by the powers that be, you have to do rotations in the following disciplines in your third year:

internal medicine, OB/GYN, pediatrics, general surgery, and psychiatry at every Medical School in the United States. (There are additional clerkships (family medicine, nueurology, etc), but they vary by school.)

big deal..you walk around with a doctor on his rounds..listen to him talk to a drugged out patient for 5 mins...wow...dont pretend anything occurs in a mental hospital but drugging and confinment and some blood test...

Furthermore, nothing in the article you linked comes even close to your assertion that psychiatry is not a science.

Perhaps your reading comprehension isn't up to snuff

unsure of its scientific value

big deal..you walk around with a doctor on his rounds..listen to him talk to a drugged out patient for 5 mins...wow...dont pretend anything occurs in a mental hospital but drugging and confinment and some blood test...

Yeah, we've established that you think western medicine is a bunch of shit. Again, your perrogative.

My point is that a psychiatric rotation is required to receive the "M.D." degree, which challenges your contentions that it's not a legitimate field of the basic medical sciences.

Perhaps your reading comprehension isn't up to snuff

unsure of its scientific value

Which doesn't approach "felt it had no scientific value".

Furthermore, the survey is from Medical Students (or first year residents) who are just beginning their profession. I wouldn't expect them to have a large perspective on the entire medical field.

you posted no such study...you posted this

Elsevier: Article Locator

There are also studies on the thalamus' of cadavers which show an abundance of Dopamine.

which does no equate to what you claim it does...just another attempt at self deception

Last edited:
Conclusions
This study suggests that decreases in hippocampal [3H]pirenzepine binding in subjects with schizophrenia are most likely associated with widespread changes in expression levels of the M4 receptor. These data further implicate the hippocampal formation in the pathology of schizophrenia

Elsevier

The diagnosis of mental disorders is often believed to be more difficult than diagnosis of somatic, or general medical, disorders, since there is no definitive lesion, laboratory test, or abnormality in brain tissue that can identify the illness. The diagnosis of mental disorders must rest with the patients’ reports of the intensity and duration of symptoms, signs from their mental status examination, and clinician observation of their behavior including functional impairment. These clues are grouped together by the clinician into recognizable patterns known as syndromes. When the syndrome meets all the criteria for a diagnosis, it constitutes a mental disorder.

Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General - Chapter 2

Psychiatrists...respected scientists.

"Have you ever cured a patient?"

"Duh...uh...wuh....mmm...hehehe.....well let me.......hmm..."

My niece just finished her 3rd year of medical school.

She said the time at the psych hospital was #1, the easiest because it doesn't require any but the fuzziest of diagnoses, and #2, it's just interacting with crazy people.

So tell me how that makes psychiatry a science. Any more than the time they spend in ERs signifies that applying pressure to wounds is science.

The diagnosis of mental disorders is often believed to be more difficult than diagnosis of somatic, or general medical, disorders, since there is no definitive lesion, laboratory test, or abnormality in brain tissue that can identify the illness. The diagnosis of mental disorders must rest with the patients’ reports of the intensity and duration of symptoms, signs from their mental status examination, and clinician observation of their behavior including functional impairment. These clues are grouped together by the clinician into recognizable patterns known as syndromes. When the syndrome meets all the criteria for a diagnosis, it constitutes a mental disorder.

Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General - Chapter 2

perhaps you should inform the surgeon general of your test for mental illness you claimed exsist ...seeing as your so big on the medical consensus of....opinion...you are clearly not stupid so that leads me to conclude in your hubris you felt the need to intentional attempt to be deceptive..a disorder many in the field of psychiatry seem suffer from

Last edited:
No, but it does point out the weaknesses of science, and gullibility of those who follow it blindly.

Psychology is not a science. Psychiatry isn't either, for that matter.

Psychiatrists are medical doctors and they treat the conditions of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia both of which are prescribed medication as part of the treatment plan. Both disorders affect brain chemistry.

Psychologists are PHD's.

Neither of which makes psychiatry or psychology a science.

Medicine involves science. Medical doctors study science intensively including psychatrists. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in the mind and concern themselves with the nervous system.

PTSD for example, is being widely studied on the level of brain function.

Last edited:

She said the time at the psych hospital was #1, the easiest because it doesn't require any but the fuzziest of diagnoses, and #2, it's just interacting with crazy people.

So tell me how that makes psychiatry a science. Any more than the time they spend in ERs signifies that applying pressure to wounds is science.

You base your opinion on one medical students opinion. How scientific of you!

Let me ask you this. Is the suffering that someone afflicted with mental illness less than the suffering of physical illness?

IMO suffering is suffering.

Since you like anecdotes so much, I offer you one from someone I know. He went to study with Mother Teresa. She sent him back to America and said that the suffering of in in America is far greater than the suffering in India.

She was referring specifically to the suffering of mental illness.

The serious mental illnesses are genetic. Paranoia, Schizophrenia, Manic Deppressive disorder all run in families and are usually passed down through the female, just like other genetic illnesses. If we could run tests, we could identify the females who are capable of passing mental illness along, and have them sterilized so they can not keep adding to the defective gene pool.

Of course when I brought up this eugenics suggestion at a major university years ago, I was quickly interrupted by a senior professor who informed me and the audience that if we did that, we would prevent the birth of nearly 60% of the geniuses in this country. He was quite adament that genius and insanity are, indeed, linked. My father always used to tell me that Genius is kin to Insanity.

Last edited:
The serious mental illnesses are genetic. Paranoia, Schizophrenia, Manic Deppressive disorder all run in families and are usually passed down through the female, just like other genetic illnesses. If we could run tests, we could identify the females who are capable of passing mental illness along, and have them sterilized so they can not keep adding to the defective gene pool.

Of course when I brought up this eugenics suggestion at a major university years ago, I was quickly interrupted by a senior professor who informed me and the audience that if we did that, we would prevent the birth of nearly 60% of the geniuses in this country. He was quite adament that genius and insanity are, indeed, linked. My father always used to tell me that Genius is kin to Insanity.

you have no clue what your talking about..there is no proof of mental illness being genetic...it is a theory and nothing more....

Psychiatrists are medical doctors and they treat the conditions of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia both of which are prescribed medication as part of the treatment plan. Both disorders affect brain chemistry.

Psychologists are PHD's.

Neither of which makes psychiatry or psychology a science.

Medicine involves science. Medical doctors study science intensively including psychatrists. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in the mind and concern themselves with the nervous system.

PTSD for example, is being widely studied on the level of brain function.

where do you get this shit ?..the study of the nervous system is neurology ..not psychiatry..lol

You base your opinion on one medical students opinion. How scientific of you!

Let me ask you this. Is the suffering that someone afflicted with mental illness less than the suffering of physical illness?

IMO suffering is suffering.

Since you like anecdotes so much, I offer you one from someone I know. He went to study with Mother Teresa. She sent him back to America and said that the suffering of in in America is far greater than the suffering in India.

She was referring specifically to the suffering of mental illness.

so ?..who said suffering is not real ? but damaging the brain with toxins is not the answer to suffering...funny you should mention India

Culture and Mental Illness

Shankar Vedantam
Washington Post staff writer
Tuesday, June 28, 2005; 12:00 PM

What role does culture play in diagnosing and treating mental illness? In many poorer nations, social networks are a critical part of healing and recovery as patients continue to participate in society rather than becoming isolated, as is often the case in more developed nations. In the United States, some racial groups are more frequently diagnosed with schizophrenia than others, suggesting some sort of bias in the detection of such illnesses. This new information suggests a powerful link between societal factors and the diagnosis, treatment and outcome of mental illness.

Culture and Mental Illness

Forum List

Back