Do you believe that mental illness is a

There is a problem with mental illness that is often overlooked, it is completely theoretical. The only thing we know is that people have such problems, but what causes them, their exact nature, even the symptoms are mostly guess work. I have several diagnosed mental illnesses, and was incorrectly diagnosed and medicated when I was a teenager (the most likely possible cause of my current problems actually). Luckily all mine are social (real life social that is) so they have little impact online, which turns out my new doctor said is probably the best therapy for me than anything they can prescribe. Many times symptoms overlap, and medications have rarely proven effective or at least have had major side effects which can cause just as many problems. Often the matter comes to "which problems can you live with the best." One major drawback is that they cannot be diagnosed reliably in most patients, we (the patients) feel this is "normal" and since we have no way to compare it to what "normal" actually is, medical professionals have to base everything on what we tell them, sometimes one little detail is enough to completely change the problem, but we leave that tiny detail out thinking it's "normal" ourselves. So it's roulette for the doctors, not hard fact like physical ailments.

There is a problem with mental illness that is often overlooked, it is completely theoretical. The only thing we know is that people have such problems, but what causes them, their exact nature, even the symptoms are mostly guess work. I have several diagnosed mental illnesses, and was incorrectly diagnosed and medicated when I was a teenager (the most likely possible cause of my current problems actually). Luckily all mine are social (real life social that is) so they have little impact online, which turns out my new doctor said is probably the best therapy for me than anything they can prescribe. Many times symptoms overlap, and medications have rarely proven effective or at least have had major side effects which can cause just as many problems. Often the matter comes to "which problems can you live with the best." One major drawback is that they cannot be diagnosed reliably in most patients, we (the patients) feel this is "normal" and since we have no way to compare it to what "normal" actually is, medical professionals have to base everything on what we tell them, sometimes one little detail is enough to completely change the problem, but we leave that tiny detail out thinking it's "normal" ourselves. So it's roulette for the doctors, not hard fact like physical ailments.

Oh there is a fine line between mental illness. and emotional expression. That is a fact. Often folks that are doing nothing other then emotionaling expressing themselves )not to the liking of Society) are seen a "sick". I think that is why the field is so infant. Being ablle to distinquish between the two. I believe mental illness exsists. I don't believe that we have come to a place to to distinquish it though,. other then schizophrenia.

Last edited:
I believe some are medical and some are emotional. Nervous breakdown or depression = emotional. schizophrenia or psychosis...medical.

I believe some are medical and some are emotional. Nervous breakdown or depression = emotional. schizophrenia or psychosis...medical.

Depression ? Clinical depression ? Medical.

I've never studied nor suffered from depression. That's why my opinion is that it is emotional. I didn't even know there were different types of depression.

I've never studied nor suffered from depression. That's why my opinion is that it is emotional. I didn't even know there were different types of depression.

endogenous and exogenous--check em out

Throwing a wrench in here... Dil. Everyone gets sad about life's events. To say they don't would to apply a social path to their personality. What I think is so hard to decipher, is depression = sadness, to depression = mental illness.

I had a good freind get all bummed out about being dumped. So much so she went to a psychologist. Who in turn recommended medication. She wasn't mentally ill, she was just suffering normal saddness and loss. So I have a little hesitation to calling depression, a mental illness... however Clinical depression I don't.

Throwing a wrench in here... Dil. Everyone gets sad about life's events. To say they don't would to apply a social path to their personality. What I think is so hard to decipher, is depression = sadness, to depression = mental illness.

I had a good freind get all bummed out about being dumped. So much so she went to a psychologist. Who in turn recommended medication. She wasn't mentally ill, she was just suffering normal saddness and loss. So I have a little hesitation to calling depression, a mental illness... however Clinical depression I don't.

exogenous---no need for meds cause it won't really help

Forum List

Back