Chubby people live longest: Japan study

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Health experts have long warned of the risk of obesity, but a new Japanese study warns that being very skinny is even more dangerous, and that slightly chubby people live longer.
People who are a little overweight at age 40 live six to seven years longer than very thin people, whose average life expectancy was shorter by some five years than that of obese people, the study found.

"We found skinny people run the highest risk," said Shinichi Kuriyama, an associate professor at Tohoku University's Graduate School of Medicine who worked on the long-term study of middle-aged and elderly people.

"We had expected thin people would show the shortest life expectancy but didn't expect the difference to be this large," he told AFP by telephone.

The study was conducted by a health ministry team led by Tohoku University professor Ichiro Tsuji and covered 50,000 people between the ages of 40 and 79 over 12 years in the northern Japanese prefecture of Miyagi.

They came out with this study, right after I joined a gym...

Well, I think I would like to look better even if it shaves a few years off my life.

Health experts have long warned of the risk of obesity, but a new Japanese study warns that being very skinny is even more dangerous, and that slightly chubby people live longer.
People who are a little overweight at age 40 live six to seven years longer than very thin people, whose average life expectancy was shorter by some five years than that of obese people, the study found.

"We found skinny people run the highest risk," said Shinichi Kuriyama, an associate professor at Tohoku University's Graduate School of Medicine who worked on the long-term study of middle-aged and elderly people.

"We had expected thin people would show the shortest life expectancy but didn't expect the difference to be this large," he told AFP by telephone.

The study was conducted by a health ministry team led by Tohoku University professor Ichiro Tsuji and covered 50,000 people between the ages of 40 and 79 over 12 years in the northern Japanese prefecture of Miyagi.

They came out with this study, right after I joined a gym...

Well, I think I would like to look better even if it shaves a few years off my life.

I hate statistics for a good reason. An older study found that those who simply don't worry about death and health live longer, because stress from worry about such things is often the cause for many more serious health issues. The older study was done with people of all walks of life, the obese, smokers, etc. and compared the results to come to that conclusion. So yeah, chubby people who don't worry about their "health" will be healthier than skinny people who do.

Yeah, but there's an obvious difference between obesity and slight chubbiness.

From someone with a sales pitcher for an icon who sells a bunch of junk with the label of "healthy" to con people with low self esteem cause by morons like you ... yeah ... nuh-uh.

From someone with a sales pitcher for an icon who sells a bunch of junk with the label of "healthy" to con people with low self esteem cause by morons like you ... yeah ... nuh-uh.

Uh...trying to up your "derailment with random stupid bullshit" tally? Don't worry; I don't see anyone else catching you in the conceivable future. ;)

Know what?

My grandfather lived to be 92. Not too bad for a dude who fought in WW2, lived and worked and raised a family through the great depression and dust bowl, and smoked and drank all his life.

He told me, when I was young, "If you think something's gonna be bad for ya, don't do it. Because then it WILL be, for sure. Just eat and drink and smoke whatever you think is right for you, and don't listen to anyone's bullshit. When and if it's right for you, you'll know. Don't do it until then and don't let anyone tell you not to do it. Or TO do it either"

When he died, just went to sleep one night and never woke up.... he could STILL whup my ass and any three friends I might bring along. And, this is odd..... His doctor said his lungs and liver were pristine.....

Mind over matter people. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Know what?

My grandfather lived to be 92. Not too bad for a dude who fought in WW2, lived and worked and raised a family through the great depression and dust bowl, and smoked and drank all his life.

He told me, when I was young, "If you think something's gonna be bad for ya, don't do it. Because then it WILL be, for sure. Just eat and drink and smoke whatever you think is right for you, and don't listen to anyone's bullshit. When and if it's right for you, you'll know. Don't do it until then and don't let anyone tell you not to do it. Or TO do it either"

When he died, just went to sleep one night and never woke up.... he could STILL whup my ass and any three friends I might bring along. And, this is odd..... His doctor said his lungs and liver were pristine.....

Fuckin' A!

I do my best to eat good (organic) food, but I don't listen for a second to anyone that tells me I shouldn't drink (I don't get hangovers or any other bad side effects) or smoke or do whatever feels right. Your grandpappy sounds like a hell of a guy, I raise my glass to him. Personal freedom isn't laws or accepted norms, it's a state of mind and it sounds like he totally got it.

Know what?

Fuckin' A!

I do my best to eat good (organic) food, but I don't listen for a second to anyone that tells me I shouldn't drink (I don't get hangovers or any other bad side effects) or smoke or do whatever feels right. Your grandpappy sounds like a hell of a guy, I raise my glass to him. Personal freedom isn't laws or accepted norms, it's a state of mind and it sounds like he totally got it.
He and my grandmaw were married for 60+ years.

She passed away.... Grandpaw only lived eight months after that. Doc said he died of a broken heart..... Nothing was physically wrong with him at all...

Stress is actually the deadliest thing in modern society ... oddly. Worrying about dying will kill you fastest. People like me who just don't care are oddly the ones stuck living the longest ... LOL

Know what?

Fuckin' A!

He and my grandmaw were married for 60+ years.

She passed away.... Grandpaw only lived eight months after that. Doc said he died of a broken heart..... Nothing was physically wrong with him at all...

I'm sorry he lost his true love, MM, truly. There can be nothing worse.

Epsilon ... you got me thinking about this:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8cGIJHF74]YouTube - gorillas clint eastwood music video[/ame]

Forum List

Back