"Do you believe in a personal God?"

No,
I guess if you say so. You are the one saying you have a personal god.

So you believe in a personal god because you talk to this god and this god answers you back and this god is a male?
Finally a rational question!!! I mean that. God is someone (please excuse the use of pronouns) who creates, maintains, and cares for our world. One could apply either gender to such a person.
You are saying you have a personal god.

You believe in a personal god because you talk to this god and this god answers you back

1. A personal god is a deity who can be related to as a person instead of as an impersonal force, such as the Absolute, "the All", or the "Ground of Being". Personal god - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
God is a person. But what does this mean

No what?

Is that not how you are defining the belief of a personal God?
That was your 'no'. Comment box on this is tricky some times. I do think Dante's definition is different than what you supplied. This is more of a 'gotcha' question. Typical Dante. :doubt: :nono: ;)

Thanks, ( it's not because I'm blonde, it's because I am tired from too much school) ;)

Dante, should define what he thinks is a personal God, it just makes the conversation flow easier.

Even when I went on a spiritual quest, I never fully understood this personal god thing. I wonder if people who do believe in a personal god can explain why they do

A Priest who was introduced to Joseph Campbell asks
: "Are you a Catholic Dr. Campbell?"

Campbell replies: "No, Father."

The Priest then asks: "Do you believe in a personal God?"

To which Campbell replies: "No, Father."

The Priest then replies: "Well, I guess there is no way to logically prove the existence of God."

Campbell: "If there were Father, what would be the value of faith?"

Priest excuses himself with: "It's been a pleasure meeting you Dr. Campbell, have a nice day."

Not only do I believe in God, God believes in me.

It has been fully evident all my life, though I denied it for years.

God believed in, and had faith in, me, before I believed in and had faith in Him.

That is why I believe.
thank you :eusa_angel:

I don't this fully explains why do you believe in a personal god. Do you think people could believe in everything you've said and NOT believe god as a personal god?

The question was posed to people who say they believe in a personal god. If you do, can you say why?

I'm serious about this. read the OP
I talk to God. God talks to me. He is my God. I am his follower. Does than make him my personal God?

So you believe in a personal god because you talk to this god and this god answers you back and this god is a male?
Finally a rational question!!! I mean that. God is someone (please excuse the use of pronouns) who creates, maintains, and cares for our world. One could apply either gender to such a person.

You believe in a personal god because you talk to this god and this god answers you back
But if someone else were to follow my personal God then is my God no longer personal?

No one could follow YOUR personal god. Your personal god is yours alone. It speaks to you. Can somebody follow your god and not consider it a personal relationship? Can they follow your god and not think of god as a person?

I talk to God. God talks to me. He is my God. I am his follower. Does than make him my personal God?

But if someone else were to follow my personal God then is my God no longer personal?
Nobody has a "personal God"

Many of us have a personal relationship with God.

Not the same thing.

How can YOU tell people what to believe and exactly how to? Does your personal god attach this authority to you?

Nobody has a "personal God"

Many of us have a personal relationship with God.

Not the same thing.
Exactly my point. Dante tried to use the term 'personal god' to trivialize both the god and the believer.

You're a Calvinist I take it?
RandomVariable
nope.

now you are projecting your devils again. Dante has been nothing but respectful and open and honest in this thread.

Even when I went on a spiritual quest, I never fully understood this personal god thing. I wonder if people who do believe in a personal god can explain why they do

The Priest then replies: "Well, I guess there is no way to logically prove the existence of God."

Priest excuses himself with: "It's been a pleasure meeting you Dr. Campbell, have a nice day."

No,
The question was posed to people who say they believe in a personal god. If you do, can you say why?

1. A personal god is a deity who can be related to as a person instead of as an impersonal force, such as the Absolute, "the All", or the "Ground of Being". Personal god - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
I have no idea what it all means.

I asked: "Do you believe in a personal God?"

It was in this context: Even when I went on a spiritual quest, I never fully understood this personal god thing. I wonder if people who do believe in a personal god can explain why they do

What exactly is a personal God or a no personal God? God is God

I'm asking you to define what you mean about by personal God
Dante asked: "Do you believe in a personal God?"

Dante's context: "Even when I went on a spiritual quest, I never fully understood this personal god thing. I wonder if people who do believe in a personal god can explain why they do"

So I have no idea what people mean and why they say they believe what they do.

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

- Albert Einstein letter to philosopher Eric Gutkind, January 3, 1954

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

- Albert Einstein, letter to an atheist (1954), quoted in Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas & Banesh Hoffman

No,

It was in this context: Even when I went on a spiritual quest, I never fully understood this personal god thing. I wonder if people who do believe in a personal god can explain why they do

When you went on a spiritual quest were you seeking a personal God as in a deity or a personification resembling humans?

I don't see God in human incarnate terms, why I believe in God is because of private personal experiences I've had since I was very young that have made me feel a connection beyond the 5 senses.

No,

When you went on a spiritual quest were you seeking a personal God as in a deity or a personification resembling humans?

I don't see God in human incarnate terms, why I believe in God is because of private personal experiences I've had since I was very young that have made me feel a connection beyond the 5 senses.

no. I tried having a personal relationship with a higher being I thought might exist. I actually had a few very profound religious experiences. Profound enough to attract the interests of some seminarians and other spiritual people. It was a long and tiring existential journey that brought me to contentment in non belief

They want a Genie to fulfill wishes.

P.S. I forgot.
The one in the skimpy oriental belly dancer outfit seems not to be sufficiently reputable.

Last edited:
What's a personal god? A god or religion that is up to the believer?
no....its about having a personal relationship with God......praying, reading scripture on a regular basis versus remembering to go to the church on the corner for Christmas services because that's where grandma went........

Predetermination, very roughly speaking, is like when a child is born God says, "That one will I accept into heaven." and then throughout that person's life they are tried and tested but will always be saved just as another can not possibly be saved no matter what their actions.
that is so rough as to be akin to a square peg in a round hole......Calvinists do not believe God forces anyone to make choices against their free will........

Forum List

Back