"Do you believe in a personal God?"

Even when I went on a spiritual quest, I never fully understood this personal god thing. I wonder if people who do believe in a personal god can explain why they do

A Priest who was introduced to Joseph Campbell asks
: "Are you a Catholic Dr. Campbell?"

Campbell replies: "No, Father."

The Priest then asks: "Do you believe in a personal God?"

To which Campbell replies: "No, Father."

The Priest then replies: "Well, I guess there is no way to logically prove the existence of God."

Campbell: "If there were Father, what would be the value of faith?"

Priest excuses himself with: "It's been a pleasure meeting you Dr. Campbell, have a nice day."

Not only do I believe in God, God believes in me.

It has been fully evident all my life, though I denied it for years.

God believed in, and had faith in, me, before I believed in and had faith in Him.

That is why I believe.

What exactly is a personal God or a no personal God? God is God
The question was posed to people who say they believe in a personal god. If you do, can you say why?

I'm serious about this. read the OP
I talk to God. God talks to me. He is my God. I am his follower. Does than make him my personal God?
I guess if you say so. You are the one saying you have a personal god.

So you believe in a personal god because you talk to this god and this god answers you back and this god is a male?
Finally a rational question!!! I mean that. God is someone (please excuse the use of pronouns) who creates, maintains, and cares for our world. One could apply either gender to such a person.
You are saying you have a personal god.

You believe in a personal god because you talk to this god and this god answers you back
But if someone else were to follow my personal God then is my God no longer personal?

The question was posed to people who say they believe in a personal god. If you do, can you say why?

I talk to God. God talks to me. He is my God. I am his follower. Does than make him my personal God?

So you believe in a personal god because you talk to this god and this god answers you back and this god is a male?
Finally a rational question!!! I mean that. God is someone (please excuse the use of pronouns) who creates, maintains, and cares for our world. One could apply either gender to such a person.

You believe in a personal god because you talk to this god and this god answers you back
But if someone else were to follow my personal God then is my God no longer personal?
Nobody has a "personal God"

Many of us have a personal relationship with God.

Not the same thing.

Not the same thing.
Exactly my point. Dante tried to use the term 'personal god' to trivialize both the god and the believer.

You're a Calvinist I take it?

Not the same thing.
Exactly my point. Dante tried to use the term 'personal god' to trivialize both the god and the believer.

I am a Miltonian Christian.

Close enough?

Here is a link to the text of a video by the late Guru Raj Ananda, on the personal and impersonal God.

Personal and Impersonal God Gururaj Ananda Yogi
Spiritualism places this awesome and complete power of oneness within oneself. It does not work that way. We are our spirit and we are not God.

The occult teaches we are God within God. The causal or soul body which is our ultimate self, is a small part of God enclosed in a bubble of energy. This body is formless and infinitely expandable and it stores the memory of all our past incarnations.
We have a number of lower bodies, like the astral and mental bodies which are much like the physical body. We inhabit the mental realms after we die and express ourselves through the mental body. At some distant time we may eventually merge back into the God head and our causal body will dissolve into God consciousness.

Not the same thing.

Close enough?
No. To me the most fundamental aspect of Calvinism is predestination and Milton disagreed. Milton seemed to have some aspects correct I am not a Christian so I deviate from you and Milton there.

Even when I went on a spiritual quest, I never fully understood this personal god thing. I wonder if people who do believe in a personal god can explain why they do

A Priest who was introduced to Joseph Campbell asks
: "Are you a Catholic Dr. Campbell?"

Campbell replies: "No, Father."

The Priest then asks: "Do you believe in a personal God?"

To which Campbell replies: "No, Father."

The Priest then replies: "Well, I guess there is no way to logically prove the existence of God."

Campbell: "If there were Father, what would be the value of faith?"

Priest excuses himself with: "It's been a pleasure meeting you Dr. Campbell, have a nice day."

What's a personal god? A god or religion that is up to the believer? Isn't it just regular gods which either exist or don't, and if they do it's gonna be everything according to their way of doing it and you can either get inline and obey or suffer the consequences?

I think it means if you believe in the PERSONIFICATION of God,
do you believe God talks to you as person to person.

I believe this is real, and I also believe it is equally valid
if they interact without personifying God. So both experiences,
secular or personified, are equally real and valid for people.

I experience my "personal relationship with God' in a more SECULAR way.

Some friends of mine have more direct visions and instructions from God as a person.

I mostly get insights and connections with people or ideas that "come from God"
but I don't "see" visions like angels appearing and things like that. Some friends
I know can SEE demons. I can FEEL the demonic energy but not like others
who are specialized in identifying them and casting them out. I don't go there
but leave it to the experts who are called to do the really deep work.

I mostly deal with memories and perceptions that have negative energy
attached, and work with myself and others to remove the negativity on that level.

So this does not require seeing God or Jesus as personified beings.
But I recognize it is the same thing and same process.
Some people experience it secularly and nontheistically
and some actually see and hear all the symbolic visions as in the Bible.
So it is like dreams, where we see it in our minds and memories.
But some people the dreams are so real they physically go there on that spiritual realm.

My ideas for the future are vague and symbolic but on the secular level
that you can put into words. Other people get their visions in symbols
or actually see these figures of angels and Jesus, etc. So it varies.

Not the same thing.

Close enough?
No. To me the most fundamental aspect of Calvinism is predestination and Milton disagreed. Milton seemed to have some aspects correct I am not a Christian so I deviate from you and Milton there.
Ah, Calvin, predestination, etc.

Wasn't thinking.

Of course I am not a Calvinist; God gave me free will, I rule my destiny.

Here is a link to the text of a video by the late Guru Raj Ananda, on the personal and impersonal God.

Spiritualism places this awesome and complete power of oneness within oneself. It does not work that way. We are our spirit and we are not God.

The occult teaches we are God within God. The causal or soul body which is our ultimate self, is a small part of God enclosed in a bubble of energy. This body is formless and infinitely expandable and it stores the memory of all our past incarnations.
We have a number of lower bodies, like the astral and mental bodies which are much like the physical body. We inhabit the mental realms after we die and express ourselves through the mental body. At some distant time we may eventually merge back into the God head and our causal body will dissolve into God consciousness.

What makes the occult dangerous is not that it teaches "unity with God's spirit"
but where it plays with Negative demonic forces and confuses that with natural spirituality.

Spiritism that is unnatural is not the same as spirituality which is natural.

So any kind of "manipulation" for selfish interest, for trying to control
and dictate forces YOURSELF is where the occult, sorcery and voodoo/witchcraft goes wrong.

Especially anything willed out of "ill will" retribution and unforgiveness/separation from others
is manipulation and invites the demonic forces in.

The way to keep this negative influence out
is through forgiveness and unity in Christ.
Only the good forces, angels and 'God's greater will for all humanity"
responds to that positive energy, while the negative demons are repelled and rebel against
things that are good for all people inclusively.

The demons feed off selfishness, fear, unforgiven conflicts,
anything negative that divides people.

Not the same thing.

Close enough?

Wasn't thinking.

You and we all are still limited by God's will and God's laws of nature we cannot "will" our way.
This is what it means to be subject to God's will overall.
We cannot change the laws of gravity, but must work within these given laws of
science and nature that come with creation.

So the point is for us to reconcile our free will with God's will by FREE CHOICE
not by force. That choice to forgive and to accept is up to us, God can compel by influencing
it but cannot "make" us choose to forgive or choose to believe. He gave us free will
so we may learn by experience, reason and conscience and CHOOSE to accept and follow what is God's ideal will.

I take it you don't go for the "I am he as you are me and we are all together" bullshit either.
Years ago, maybe even a year go, I would have said that walrus stuff has some merit. One thing about talking with God though, one learns that all the love in the world will not change the fact that here is good and evil and Satan takes all he can get. Some people say, "Well, why does God let little babies get cancer?" Babies with cancer falls into such a bigger picture that those who can not accept God without first getting an answer to that one question, or any one question, will never know God.

What makes the occult dangerous is not that it teaches "unity with God's spirit"
but where it plays with Negative demonic forces and confuses that with natural spirituality.

Spiritism that is unnatural is not the same as spirituality which is natural.

So any kind of "manipulation" for selfish interest, for trying to control
and dictate forces YOURSELF is where the occult, sorcery and voodoo/witchcraft goes wrong.

Especially anything willed out of "ill will" retribution and unforgiveness/separation from others
is manipulation and invites the demonic forces in.

The way to keep this negative influence out
is through forgiveness and unity in Christ.
Only the good forces, angels and 'God's greater will for all humanity"
responds to that positive energy, while the negative demons are repelled and rebel against
things that are good for all people inclusively.

The demons feed off selfishness, fear, unforgiven conflicts,
anything negative that divides people.
I can understand Christ as you describe him here but in the NT and as most people who are Christians seem to believe him he is a very different person (excuse the pronoun). Thoughts?

No,
What exactly is a personal God or a no personal God? God is God

1. A personal god is a deity who can be related to as a person instead of as an impersonal force, such as the Absolute, "the All", or the "Ground of Being". Personal god - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
God is a person. But what does this mean

Not the same thing.

Close enough?

Wasn't thinking.

You and we all are still limited by God's will and God's laws of nature we cannot "will" our way.
This is what it means to be subject to God's will overall.
We cannot change the laws of gravity, but must work within these given laws of
science and nature that come with creation.

So the point is for us to reconcile our free will with God's will by FREE CHOICE
not by force. That choice to forgive and to accept is up to us, God can compel by influencing
it but cannot "make" us choose to forgive or choose to believe. He gave us free will
so we may learn by experience, reason and conscience and CHOOSE to accept and follow what is God's ideal will.
In relation to Calvinism free will has a slightly more specific meaning. The core of the question is whether salvation is an open offer or if it is predetermined. Predetermination, very roughly speaking, is like when a child is born God says, "That one will I accept into heaven." and then throughout that person's life they are tried and tested but will always be saved just as another can not possibly be saved no matter what their actions. This is fundamentally different than once-saved-always-saved, OSAS, but there is an element of 'can do no wrong' in both.

edit: Free will as in the free will to accept God's invitation to salvation.

No,

1. A personal god is a deity who can be related to as a person instead of as an impersonal force, such as the Absolute, "the All", or the "Ground of Being". Personal god - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
God is a person. But what does this mean

No what?

Is that not how you are defining the belief of a personal God?
That was your 'no'. Comment box on this is tricky some times. I do think Dante's definition is different than what you supplied. This is more of a 'gotcha' question. Typical Dante. :doubt: :nono: ;)

Forum List

Back