"Do you believe in a personal God?"

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street

Even when I went on a spiritual quest, I never fully understood this personal god thing. I wonder if people who do believe in a personal god can explain why they do

A Priest who was introduced to Joseph Campbell asks
: "Are you a Catholic Dr. Campbell?"

Campbell replies: "No, Father."

The Priest then asks: "Do you believe in a personal God?"

To which Campbell replies: "No, Father."

The Priest then replies: "Well, I guess there is no way to logically prove the existence of God."

Campbell: "If there were Father, what would be the value of faith?"

Priest excuses himself with: "It's been a pleasure meeting you Dr. Campbell, have a nice day."

Even when I went on a spiritual quest, I never fully understood this personal god thing. I wonder if people who do believe in a personal god can explain why they do

The Priest then replies: "Well, I guess there is no way to logically prove the existence of God."

Priest excuses himself with: "It's been a pleasure meeting you Dr. Campbell, have a nice day."

What's a personal god? A god or religion that is up to the believer? Isn't it just regular gods which either exist or don't, and if they do it's gonna be everything according to their way of doing it and you can either get inline and obey or suffer the consequences?

What do you mean personal god? Delta asked the same question but his seemed rhetorical since he sort of answered it himself. You thanked him for the post so does that mean you agree? With what?

My question is not rhetorical. One can not really ask a question without having a definition for the parts of the question. What is a 'personal god'?

What do you mean personal god? Delta asked the same question but his seemed rhetorical since he sort of answered it himself. You thanked him for the post so does that mean you agree? With what?
Why would thanking somebody for a post imply agreeing with the content of the post? Would you personally never thank anyone you don't agree with?

are you asking if I agree that my own question is a rhetorical question?

My question is not rhetorical. One can not really ask a question without having a definition for the parts of the question. What is a 'personal god'?
RandomVariable
Since I said I do not understand the personal god thing, I have no idea what defines a personal god. I asked if people who believe in one can explain why they believed in one. They can choose to define their personal god if they choose to, but I am uninterested in that.

Why would thanking somebody for a post imply agreeing with the content of the post? Would you personally never thank anyone you don't agree with?

I often thank folks who participate in a thread I start whether they agree with me or not. The world would be a better place of folks would/could disagree kindly.

I often thank folks who participate in a thread I start whether they agree with me or not. The world would be a better place of folks would/could disagree kindly.
If Dante could have thanked as well as agreed with your post he would have.

I often thank people for the content of their posts. I guess random don't see the choices and realize there is that choice...

I do not care for the term, "Personal God." Let's compare it to "personal trainer."

A personal trainer is someone who trains individuals on an individual basis--a tutor if you will.

While God cares intimately for all individuals, He is just as concerned about the community at large. In other words, no man is an island, and God does not treat us as one. He cares for us as a community, a family, and each one of us in His creation receives this care as well.

RandomVariable
Since I said I do not understand the personal god thing, I have no idea what defines a personal god. I asked if people who believe in one can explain why they believed in one. They can choose to define their personal god if they choose to, but I am uninterested in that.

My idea of a personal God is based on my belief that I was created by God. That's a personal thing. He thought I deserved to exist. I think of that in personal terms. He gave me the ability to think, contemplate, communicate, pray, hope, etc. Since He thought of me I have the ability to think of Him. Therefore, when I'm experiencing joy or happiness I can thank Him personally. When I'm experiencing tribulation or heartache I can feel comforted in the knowledge that He's in the very room or place I'm at.

What's a personal god? A god or religion that is up to the believer? Isn't it just regular gods which either exist or don't, and if they do it's gonna be everything according to their way of doing it and you can either get inline and obey or suffer the consequences?
You know, a God in the pocket...

I do not care for the term, "Personal God." Let's compare it to "personal trainer."

A personal trainer is someone who trains individuals on an individual basis--a tutor if you will.

While God cares intimately for all individuals, He is just as concerned about the community at large. In other words, no man is an island, and God does not treat us as one. He cares for us as a community, a family, and each one of us in His creation receives this care as well.
Huh?

Do you believe in a personal god (trainer) and if so, why?

I don't believe in gods of any sort. Especially if asking them for evidence of their existence is met with anger or hostility. Just screams, "Bullshit!" to me.

Forum List

Back